Typing speed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

I've decided that I want to type a little faster so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on free programs that can help me work on it.

#2 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

http://www.calculato...om/typing_test/

This can help you quite a bit!!! I have progressed from typing 49wpm to 78wpm - it takes practice!!! now I am at 78 wpm!!! it depends on the keyboard too, my keyboard is very easy for me... since I don't type with moving fingers only, I move the whole hand!!! On regular keyboards I do about 70-72 wpm!!! that's with fixing mistakes every now and then!!!

#3 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

thanks Ash.

#4 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

I got 62 wpm as a starter.

#5 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

That's pretty good!!! it's way faster then average!!!

#6 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:56 AM

Play Typer Shark whenever you can:

http://www.popcap.co...free/typershark

#7 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

The word buffeteering came up. laugh.gif

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hey, I'm going to have to borrow that. I have been looking for a good verb for just that kind of a task!!!

I tried a couple of typing speed tests ... seems like I can't get much faster than around 90-95wpm these days on a regular keyboard. On my small laptop keyboard, I'm in the 85-88 wpm range (after correcting for mistakes).

Edited by Sip, 20 May 2008 - 03:20 PM.

#9 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Sip jan - no wonder we can't understand one another from times to times... it's your very fast typing!!!

#10 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

once i was interviewing a guy who was insisting he can type 400 wpm... when i invited him upstairs to show it to me, he left... sad.gif

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

I could probably learn to do 400 WPM on one of these:

Ashot, I'll try to type slower next time biggrin.gif

Typing is purely a skill ... you have to practice practice practice but also you have to make sure you practice the right way. Once you learn to do something the wrong way, that's it. It'll probably stick with you forever. Unfortunately I see a lot of people these days that have just learned how to type in their own strange ways and it is very difficult for them to change.

If I could give any advice to anyone who wants to learn to type faster is to not worry about speed at all. Stay away from speed tests. Just learn the correct way and try to type correctly ANY chance you get. This also means try not to look at the keyboard at all (ever). Speed will come on its own later. You'll actually be amazed at how quickly the speed part will improve once you get the technique down.

#12 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:54 AM

And you have to keep typing and push yourself to type faster and faster every time. I notice that my speed considerably slows down when I don't push myself and don't need to type very fast, such as when I'm posting on this forum. It speeds up again when I work on it for a little while, playing Typer Shark or typing out a text as fast and accurately as I can.

#13 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

I heard people typing on MAC's never make a mistake ... is that true?

#14 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

Owning a Mac is never a mistake. biggrin.gif As for making typing errors, I can't confirm that. If I'm focused enough, I don't make any mistakes, but I only need a small distraction and I'm hitting the wrong keys.. Also when I'm tired or stoned, my typing goes awry.

#15 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

Btw, is there a difference between QWERTY and Dvorak (or another layout) speed wise? Some say Dvorak is faster. I use QWERTY.

And Harut, apparently the Guinness Book of World Records recorded the fastest typer at 212 wpm. Your friend was bluffing indeed. Maybe he meant hits on keys (400 would equal around 70-75 wpm).

#16 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (nairi @ May 21 2008, 09:50 AM)
Btw, is there a difference between QWERTY and Dvorak (or another layout) speed wise? Some say Dvorak is faster. I use QWERTY.

And Harut, apparently the Guinness Book of World Records recorded the fastest typer at 212 wpm. Your friend was bluffing indeed. Maybe he meant hits on keys (400 would equal around 70-75 wpm).

I could probably score 400 hits on my keys. Does it matter which keys??? smile.gif

#17 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

Armenia just came up. smile.gif

I hate the sharks that change symbols and letters though.

Edited by Zara, 21 May 2008 - 05:19 PM.

#18 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:14 AM

I hate those green sharks too. So, is the game helping you a bit, or not at all?

#19 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (nairi @ May 21 2008, 08:05 AM)
Owning a Mac is never a mistake. biggrin.gif

Touche' biggrin.gif ... as far as keyboard layout, I have no clue but I'm so used to the rediculous QWERTY, that I doubt I'll be able to switch. One thing I don't understand is why the techniques we have for typing thing quickly on cel-phones isn't slowly showing up on PCs. I mean it shouldn't be too hard to start guessing words and auto-correcting as you type ... especially if you have you analyze the entire sentence all at once. MS Word does it to some extent but I would have expected that by now such a thing would be a lot more common.

#20 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ May 22 2008, 05:36 AM)
Touche' biggrin.gif ... as far as keyboard layout, I have no clue but I'm so used to the rediculous QWERTY, that I doubt I'll be able to switch. One thing I don't understand is why the techniques we have for typing thing quickly on cel-phones isn't slowly showing up on PCs. I mean it shouldn't be too hard to start guessing words and auto-correcting as you type ... especially if you have you analyze the entire sentence all at once. MS Word does it to some extent but I would have expected that by now such a thing would be a lot more common.

That could be much more difficult depending on the context of what you're writing. I can't stand Word's autocorrect feature sometimes.
When I was little, my sister had a portable Canon typewriter - but it was one of these models that had a small LCD screen and a built in word processor. You could type up to one line at a time, and spell-check/correct it before actually printing it on paper. Pretty neat for the generation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users