Photo

Best and worst restaurants you've been to?

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#21 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 11:07 PM

BelAir Hotel? Is that the one on top of the hill in Sepulveda pass near 405?

#22 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:23 PM

No, it's close to your hang. Just north of UCLA on Stone Canyon. Very very nice grounds to just go and watch the swans and crap like that that chicks like.

#23 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
... the swans and crap like that that chicks like.

hahahaha! Vichaked shat lava kartses Azat jan Are you sure you have recovered from the "wild" weekend?

#24 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:06 AM

Panzanella Restaurant
14928 Ventura Blvd
818-784-4400
(Sorry for putting the add info, but I had to based on the experience I had)
(for those of you who remember Posto, it has changed owners and now is operated but Giaccomo Drago famous for Drago in Santa Monica and Il Postillo in Beverly Hills[couple of the BEST Italian places in LA])

I had the most Incredible experience in a restaurant that I have ever had(and I have been to MANY).

Went to Panzanella for dinner tonight with my sister and cousin. We had 7:30 reservations, but upon arriving at 7:30 were informed that it would take 10-15 minutes by the attractive Armenian Hostess. We were cool and sat at the small bar for a drink. At that minute the owner/head chef heard that our table was going to be late and came and offered us a round of drinks. We chatted for 2 minutes(very cool guy). In return when we were told that our table was ready I looked at the wine list and got the most expensing wine by the glass for the chef($22 for a glass of Rudd Napa Cab) and asked for one of the waiters to give it to the chef as a thank you from us.

That started the incredible dinner. Before we and ordered anything the chef sent us 3 small personalized appetizers of deep friend risotto, followed by an incredible dish that had goat cheese wrapped in thin slice of grilled eggplant. He once again came to thank us for the wine and we in return thanked him for the appetizers as they were super tasty. We ordered a bottle of Chianti Classico Gold Aiolo($42 a bottle[very good wine for the price]) and a artichoke salad and deep friend calamari to share. With our ordered appetizers Giaccomo came out and also brought a Panzanella salad(Awesome). Then we each ordered an entrée. Again he personally came out to make sure we liked everything. For desert we ordered 1 desert to share and 2 cups of coffee and a cup of tea. He came out with a waiter with what we had ordered and 2 other incredible deserts.

When I asked out waiter for the bill. Giaccomo came out again with the bill and 3 glasses of famous Italian lemon drink from Sorento and the bill. We talked for couple of minutes more and as he was walking away he said “I only charged you for the entrées.”

We got comped some $100 of food and wine and our bill was only $97 for the 3 entrees. I left a $53 tip but even that would not have covered my bill and I would have come out of that place normally with a bill for over $200-$250 and would have still thought that the food was worth every penny.

Anyways, I highly recommend this place. When I initially heard that Posto was closed I was sad, but it definitely has been replaced with another restaurant that is as good if not better.

#25 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:31 AM

Great topic! thumbup.gif Except I'm not in LA sad.gif

I think I have a reverse view of Sip's quantity/quality viewpoint. I prefer a small, but very good, meal - to a huge, gorge-yourself-till-you-want-to-die buffet with different kinds of slop from a factory kitchen. When I go out, I want to be served! Presentation IS important. My food must be ordered before it's made! I prefer having 4/5 small courses rather than 1 gigantic plate. Moreover, I want to be able to take 4 hours to eat! I think that there's an element of refinement in European cuisine that we here in North America are sorely missing....

Check out This Menu drool.gif

#26 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

I agree with Vava 100% on the quantity/quality viewpoint.

#27 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:28 AM

Azat Jan I am in the industry...Great outcome! I love stories like that which transend the everyday to special.
I was with my wife in Greece and stopped at a small grocery store in Athens and upon buying some fruit the old bearded Greek man started to pack my bags with fruit.I said sir but we did not want all these fruit but the old man kept stuffing our bags and said It's free on the house!
Well I was almost to tears.I loved that city and I will always remember that old beatiful smile.Hey that's what life is all about.Make the common uncommon...I can say lot more but I am drunk now... good night

Edited by Armat, 18 January 2004 - 02:32 AM.

#28 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:37 AM

I agree with Vava but fully disagree with Azat. mad.gif tongue.gif

#29 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:09 AM

Man you guys are expensive eaters!!!!!!!! I would never pay more than € 20 p.p. (about 25 dollars, I think, for the backward people among us smile.gif) for everything, including drinks and tip! And that's a serious limit.

The best types of restaurants I like are generally the ethnic ones. Indonesian is very popular here and very good. I also like Surinamese, Persian, Greek and ahhhhh, Eritrean. Yes, I have had Eritrean, for no more than € 15 (about 30 guilders at the time) including drinks, tip and no cutlery. That was the best experience! It was almost like eating at home!

#30 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:57 AM

mmm....cant remmember last time I been to a proper restaurant. dry.gif Most of the time its just like: "ok, lets get filled up before we get on the drink" laugh.gif

Actually, just remmembered - funny story: couple months my parents were invited to a b'day dinner at a posh seafood restaurant, my dad was sick so I 'volunteered' (didnt take much convincing biggrin.gif ) to take his place - had the best calamari I had ever tasted there. smile.gif

Edited by Accelerated, 18 January 2004 - 06:00 AM.

#31 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:23 AM

Urgh, reading the binge posts here makes me sick. yucky.gif
I'm like Nairi - in fact, I give boyfriends a bit of a difficult time even when it isn't on me!

#32 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:05 AM

Nairi,Stormik on behalf of Azat I'll say this.
You pay for quality of food first of all.The French restaurant that I work Top 25 in the nation they order everything organic top notch even the butter and cream and home made breads.The decor alone at this place is unbeliavable which costs a lot.Overall you are paying for a total experiance not just filling up not that anything is wrong with Ethnic resourants but next time maybe ask where the fish,meats vegis come from and then you will understand that cheap quality products translate cheap prices.
I don't go often out to eat but when I do I go to special places, the last one was an Italian rest.in N.End hystoricall section of Boston and the place literally is a museum.It is furnished with Renasance real Art, beatiful walls, marble everywhere and the food was not too expensive.
Anyway you get what you pay.

#33 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:38 AM

Armat jan, I am on the side of budget eaters on this issue biggrin.gif however, I wouldn't mind expensive restaurants at all if somebody else is to pay for it smile.gif I could accomplish the pleasure you are describing in 2 steps: 1) stuff your face at a place like taco bell, 2) go to a museaum and enjoy renesance art.

Also I hate waiting at a restaurant for an hour just to get the damn food with an empty stomach, and then I get almost kicked out after I am done eating.

#34 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 12:12 PM

Sasun Jan,there is eating and a dinning experiance.Two different things.Azat had a dinning experiance.
Food can be Art as well.My wife is still talking about the Italian restourant...Generally being in the industry I've learned too much about chimicals,hormones that goes in the cheap catagorie eating places therefore my family never eats at any fast food places.If I tell you a fraction of what goes in there...I'll stop here.
Sas what do you think about my chix and egg dance biggrin.gif

Edited by Armat, 18 January 2004 - 12:17 PM.

#35 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Jan 18 2004, 01:12 PM)
Sasun Jan,there is eating and a dinning experiance.Two different things.Azat had a dinning experiance.
Food can be Art as well.My wife is still talking about the Italian restourant...Generally being in the industry I've learned too much about chimicals,hormones that goes in the cheap catagorie eating places therefore my family never eats at any fast food places.If I tell you a fraction of what goes in there...I'll stop here.

Armat jan, I eat 90% of the time outside, most of the time Chinese, Italian, Paraguayan, and fast food but not so often. I would be curious to know if $6-10 value Chinese food has the chemicals and hormons that you are mentioning. I would really be disappointied to know that's the case sad.gif
But I am not a very cheap eater smile.gif Occasionally I go to Japanese, Italian, Brazilian and other nicer places cool.gif smile.gif

Sas what do you think about my chix and egg dance biggrin.gif

Hmm... that is one naked chicken dancing. I don't mind a nude chicken but when I look at it I think - where did the chicken loose his head laugh.gif lol.gif

#36 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:26 PM

I have to be honest and tell you that I do not even go to fast food places or chains outside of lunch. I have become a total food snob and on an average month I waste probably around $1000 in restaurants. I know I am an idiot.

Anyways, back to Good food...

Rockenwagner - had dinner there about a month ago with friends. This is a German/Austrian restaurant in Santa Monica that serves GREAT food. Even for a vegetarian they had food that was incredible. Plus the beer is from all different parts Germany and Austria.

#37 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

Azat that restourant is pretty mid priced not expensive at all.The grouper is probably the best buy.Yes I love great beer.Nothing like the real German beers.

#38 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (Armat @ Jan 18 2004, 05:05 PM)
Nairi,Stormik on behalf of Azat I'll say this.
You pay for quality of food first of all.The French restaurant that I work Top 25 in the nation they order everything organic top notch even the butter and cream and home made breads.The decor alone at this place is unbeliavable which costs a lot.Overall you are paying for a total experiance not just filling up not that anything is wrong with Ethnic resourants but next time maybe ask where the fish,meats vegis come from and then you will understand that cheap quality products translate cheap prices.
I don't go often out to eat but when I do I go to special places, the last one was an Italian rest.in N.End hystoricall section of Boston and the place literally is a museum.It is furnished with Renasance real Art, beatiful walls, marble everywhere and the food was not too expensive.
Anyway you get what you pay.

Armat, I believe you forget you are talking to students here. biggrin.gif Maybe when I get a job and make several K a month I'll look at it differently. Maybe... rolleyes.gif

#39 Garabed2

Garabed2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:19 AM

Try Native Foods in Westwood best vegan food I ever had at a resturant it can turn even the biggest meat eater to eating vegetarian. I use to go to LA for training for my 2 or 3 times a year for my job and I frequently visited this place. They have a lot a mock meat dishes that are great!

Edited by Garabed2, 21 January 2004 - 07:15 AM.

#40 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:46 PM

Supposedly when you go to a really expensive restaurant you go for the atmosphere more so than the food.

Even so I would rather go to a whole in the wall place than a really expensive one, where I pay a ****load of money to get a nicely decorated plate with a flower in the middle and a little food on the side. Afterall a whole in the wall place has it's own ambiance anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users