- - - - -

Armenians dialects

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2000 - 09:57 AM

I am always learning from you guys. I had no idea there was a dialect of Armenian, Musaleren, which is what Nune sings on one song "Hala,Hala." OF course I know about Western and Eastern dialect (We call the western dialect in my family "Thachkahayeren, though I am not sure why). Are there other more obscure dialects? Also I hear there is a dialect of Turkish spoken in some remote villages of Anatolia with a heavy amount of Armenian words, probably then these are descendants of Armenians who converted to Islam. Is there a name for their dialect?

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2000 - 01:09 PM

The moslem Armenians in Turkey are called Hemshinli's. Also I've heared that in some places in North of Hayastan they say kh (x) instead of h, for example khats and not hats for bread, I've heared it from a Hayastani guy but I don't know what's the name of that dialect.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2000 - 01:26 PM

Armenian is a very dynamic language. You're asking if there are more dialects other than Eastern and Western Armenian. Boy, there are hundreds! In Hayastan, I can distinguish at least 6 major dialects - Lori (Northeast), Gyumri and adjacent regions (Northwest), Ararat valley and Yerevan (Central), Lake Sevan surroundings, Vayoc Dzor and neighboring regions, Zangezur and Karabagh (South and SoutEast). Within these, there are many "obscure" as you say dialects. One can easily tell if the person comes from Yerevan, Ararat, Masis, or Artashat, even though I classified them as one. What the heck, when I was in Goris region, after a while I could tell if the person was from Khndzoresk, Tegh or Goris - distance between first and second is 1.5-2 miles and Goris is some 10-15 miles away from both of them! All these dialects are unique, colorful, rich and beautiful, I just love to listen people from different regions talk. The main thing is, they are Armenian and I can can understand them alright (maybe I'll miss few words). If there is problem - we can always use the "literature Armenian".
I don't know much about Western Armenian (Tachkahayeren means Armenian spoken in turkey - Tachkastan is Turkey), but I know there are all different kinds of dialects there too. Zeitun, Sasun, Mush, Van, etc. I love arevmtahayeren too, it's like music. What I don't like, is kicking in Russian words in eastern Armenian, and turkish and English words in western. Well, that's something one can't avoid - neighbors always have influence in all aspects of life, language inclusive.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2000 - 01:38 PM

Iranyar,

Khac (bread) - that's Sevan-Gavar dialect. Also in some villages of Hrazdan, but there it's something between "kh" and "h"

You folks can see how rich is Armenian :-)

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2000 - 08:23 PM

It is believed that only on the territory of Eastern Armenia the number of actively spoken dialects is in excess of 60.

[This message has been edited by MJ (edited August 29, 2000).]

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2000 - 02:56 AM

Sometime ago, someone posted on the need for uniformity in the Armenian language, at least as it is taught in schools. I think it might have been Ararat.

This might be an opportunity to discuss this topic.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 01:05 AM

As I know Armenian of Iran and Armenian of Armenia is generaly the same language (Eastern Armenian) but Iranian Armenian differs a little bit in the vocubulary and also uses the archaic spelling (don't know for sure, it has been told to me!)
I've been in Fereidan district of Iran, and it seemed that their Armenian differs a bit from that of Esfahan, I've bought a dictionary of Fereidani Armenian, published in Esfahan

Boghos jan: dialects are beautiful, diversity is beautiful, is richness.

[This message has been edited by Iranyar (edited September 03, 2000).]

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 03:24 AM

I suggest to continue this topic in a different way:
Which dialect of Armenian you use at home?
As for me, it's Eastern Armenian
Specificly - Loru hayeren

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 04:14 AM

Nvard,

from which region is Loru Hayeren.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 05:10 AM

Dear Iran yar,

I agree with you, and in any case there is nothing we can do about it. But there is the need to some uniformity when it come to spellings for example.

I speak Western Armenian, with very little influence from any other language. This is how my grandparents, from Marash, spoke.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 06:38 AM

I would say. Eastern Armenian is the standard Armenian of Hayastan, Gharabagh/Artsax and Iran.
But all kinds of Armenian could be written as well, songs in west Armenian are more than welcome. The Anatolian Armenians can strenghten Western Armenian if they do cultural effort. But the majority of Armenians speak East Armenian.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 07:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nvard:
I suggest to continue this topic in a different way:
Which dialect of Armenian you use at home?
As for me, it's Eastern Armenian
Specificly - Loru hayeren

Let me just make sure that Nvard is from Lori
Andzrev a gali~~
...?

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 07:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Iranyar:
Nvard,

from which region is Loru Hayeren.

Dear Iranyar
Lori is one of the northern province of Armenia. This is totaly different than Lori province of Iran.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 01:54 PM

interesting that Lori region of armenia.
Did you know according to the Assyrian cronicles the Persians were a group of Aryans who lived on North West of Media, which neighbours or overlaps contemporary Armenia? and that they afterward gradualy went down toward where is now Shiraz (=Persia)? Also East Georgian suffix of
-ant(i) is very close to the Lori suffix of vänd(i), both used for familynames! and Tat language spoken in Caucasus is very similar to Lori spoken in Iran.

I think the contacts between worlds of Zagros and Caucasus (both mountain ranges)has been more intense than what we think.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2000 - 03:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ararat:
Let me just make sure that Nvard is from Lori
Andzrev a gali~~
...?

Drsem e??

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2000 - 05:31 AM

One more(last)
- Varpet kshi tsnndatun
- ... (?)

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2000 - 03:32 AM

Lol....
I'm not sure about that one....

Cndaberum es???

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2000 - 06:36 AM

Nvard you did fail to answer to last one. I'm gonna call you half Loretsi LOL

The correct answer is:
- Varpet kshi tsnndatun
- Knanonts~~?

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2000 - 09:36 PM

Barev May I join the conversation?

The dialect we use at home is Eastern Armenian (specifically the kind spoken in Yerevan). But since my mom's side is from Syria/Lebanon/Turkey I use the Western dialect with some of our relatives. And since my dad's side is from Iran (though originally from Shushi) I use the Iranian-Armenian dialect with them Yet, I love the Gyumri dialect and Karabagh dialect At times I love listening to my grandma speak Musa-Dagh dialect (Kesab).

Basically I love the Armenian language in all its forms

A

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2000 - 03:12 AM

Dear Sulamita,

You said you love the Armenian language in all its forms. So that makes two of us .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users