#41 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(Emil @ Jul 9 2007, 10:10 PM)
If the woman keeps her maiden name, it makes for the transation back to single life after the divorce much easier. wink.gif

BINGO!
  • onjig likes this

#42 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jul 9 2007, 08:19 PM)
lol.gif No disrespect intended to those that have gone through the painful process of divorce. But still, that was funny as hell. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif smile.gif tongue.gif

#43 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Jul 7 2007, 08:09 AM)
A lot of women have millions of diplomas, licenses and certificates issued in their paternal surnames that it would be a nightmare to amend tem all. A good example would be my daughter in law who has millions of documents in her maiden name.

But why is it necessary to change your name in the diplomas and certificates as well?

And about being established - one of the piano teacher's in my former college had changed her last name to her husband's, but would use her maiden name in programs when she played in recitals. I think that's a great solution if one is relatively well-known in certain circles. Otherwise, come on, who is so well established in the aforementioned posts that the whole world would get confused if she changed her last name?
  • onjig likes this

#44 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

I honestly can't see it being that difficult to change ones name in 2007.
I think women decide to keep their maiden names just to maintain their individuality.And to make sure there is a distance between them as an individual or professional and them as a wife or mother.To each his/her own as they say.

#45 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

When I was getting married I thought about this a lot. I ended up changing my last name to my husband's. The deciding factor -- our future children. I really wanted our family to have the same last name, plus it was extremely touching when my husband said that he is willing to take my last name if I wanted, just so I can keep an "indicator" of my heritage. I guess that's when I was certain, if this man is willing to do something like that to make me happy, then I would be happy to have his name. We have decided that we'll give our kids my last name as their middle name, just to give them an extra ingredience.

I have to say that it's also quite an interesting experience, it's weird to be of Armenian origin and have an Irish last name, imagine if my first name was Tsovinar or Zamroukht. smile.gif

I have to agree with Maral and anoushik. It's really an individual choice, I don't see what the big deal is, one should do what they find most convenient or practical to themselves, rather than adhering to some senseless principle. I am not a fan of two last names, it gets too complicated and too long, and it's true, down the road things will get even more confusing for the younger generations. In terms of identity, it's really not, your last name is your father's, from one man to another, so you just chose which man's name you'd like to carry, and if you love them both it could be a tough choice. Now your first name is your own, that's what people know you by, but that could be changed also. Nothing is really constant, so who cares, just do what's reasonable and what you desire most.
  • onjig likes this

#46 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

When I got married my wife wanted to take my last name, so i agreed.Our kids only carry my last name for practical purposes, otherwise every encounter they have have becomes a spelling bee.And everybody lived happily thereafter. smartass.gif
  • onjig likes this

#47 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

Such as Boghos when I got married to simplify things I got my husband's last name and I kept my birth/maiden name as my middle name. I suppose it simplifies matters in the presence of child/children.
  • onjig likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users