Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

Yet another “fly in the ointment”?
Below, an article that rightfully challenges some of the questionable assumptions in the movie. I do agree that historical scientists, let me repeat, “SCIENTISTS” should be involved in the process, yet, when one reads the following article, one also feels the need to view the whole with a gigantic “grain of salt”.
It is obvious that the author of the below article is an incurable hellenophile, I.e a persophobe. See how he discerns between the Persian Anahita and the Greek Anaitis. See where he invokes this site as his source of Mythological history;
http://www.armenianh.../04-gods.html#2
A valuable source in its own right. which I have bookmarked. Please observe that the site is a reproduction from an 1987 work. Those were during the Soviet Dark Ages. It was probably written in our “mother tongue”, russky. It is, as I stated above, a valuable source, mainly because we don’t have any better. I have not yet checked all the entries, but for the fun of it I checked the entry about Tork, my all time hero. And, just as I expected the so called academician historian interprets his name as derived from “angegh/ugly”. huh.gif Where did this so called “scholar” learn the Armenian language?
Stop me please! Before I get graphic. My answer to this so called academician/historian;
I'm sorry, but when I see such cheap scholarship I lose all respect. mad.gif
You Chirkinoghlu Chirkinian!!!
What a clown of a "philologist-historian? When you open his site you will also see how we have descended (no pun intended) from that idiot Noah. When will we ever learn to sparate other peoples' (our own) mythology from scientific history?
One time, I was sitting at a table on the sidewalk of Hotel Armenia/Mariott. This well dressed and well groomed invited himself to my table. And knowing that I was an idiot amerikanski, loaded with dollars, opened his briefcase, took out a manuscript that he had written, and was to publish it. It began - "We the descendants of Noah, Abraham, Moses, David ...."
I tried to be polite, not use any graphic language tried to shake him off. He would not budge until the cafe master noticed my disturbance and intervened, told the so called "historian" to please move and and leave me alone. Why do some natives take us "amerikanskis" as idiots, who know nothing about our "history" except that of Noah, Abraham, Moshe and David?
Here is the passage where that imbecile says the following;
Տորք Անգեղյա*
Տորքը Հայկի թոռ Պասքամի որդին էր՝ մի տգեղ, բարձրահասակ, կոպտավուն կազմվածքով, տափակաքիթ, փոս ընկած աչքերով ու դժնահայաց մարդ, որին խիստ տգեղության համար Անգեղյա1 էին կոչում:
Հայոց Վաղարշակ թագավորը այս հզոր ու վիթխարահասակ Տորքին նշանակում է Հայոց աշխարհի արևմտյան մասի կուսակալ և նրա ցեղի անունն էլ կոչում է Անգեղ տուն2։
Տորքը օժտված էր վիթխարի ուժով, նա ձեռք էր զարկում ողորկ որձաքար ապառաժներին, ուզած ձևով ճեղքում, եղունգներով տաշում էր ապառաժը, տախտակի նման հարթեցնում և դարձյալ եղունգներով վրան արծիվներ էր քանդակում։

Learn the Armenian language and see that we use the word “tgegh” to mean ugly not “angegh”. With the kind of so called “academician/philologist/historian scholars” who needs furkish schmistorians??
====
Is Historical Accuracy a Casualty in `East of Byzantium'?

15-06-2008 13:47:41 - ArtsaxOpen

A new production is brewing in Hollywood, one that will recreate a much
celebrated event from Armenia's heroic past: the Vartanants War. As was
reported in the May 31st edition of The Armenian Reporter, a new film
titled `East of Byzantium' is in the planning stage, whose producers
are currently holding fundraisers to finance the production. If the
roster of the individuals involved in the upcoming production is any
indication, the film promises to be in the best traditions of
Hollywood's epic movies: Roger Kupelian, the man behind the visual
effects of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Flags of Our Fathers;
Serj Tankian from the System of a Down, who will write the music score;
comedian Vahe Berberian, etc. In fact, the producers consider the film
to be the Armenian `Braveheart'. Surely, such an undertaking deserves
applause and all the encouragement and success.

As most would agree, film and cinematic art in general offer the most
influential medium in influencing popular perceptions and forming
public opinions. Therefore, accurate depiction of the historical events
and their overall context is of paramount importance. Yet, the scant
information that is publicly available already offers cause for
concern. Specifically, the article published in The Armenian Reporter
and titled `L.A. organizations will join forces to fundraise for an
epic film on Armenian history' (pg 8,
http://www.reporter....fs/A0531-W.pdf) quoted Mr. Alex Kalognomos,
director of the Arpa International Film Festival, who noted that ``The
characters of East of Byzantium are epic men and women of Armenian
history - Gregory the Illuminator, Vartan Mamigonian, and the great
warrior goddess Anahita.'' It must be noted that this quote not only
mispronounces the name of the Armenian pagan goddess Anahit, but it
also mischaracterizes the true nature of this deity.

First, the name of the goddess in Armenian is Anahit. Anahida (or
Anahita) was the name used to refer to the same (or similar) goddess in
the old Persian pantheon. Strabo, the Greek geographer, in narrating
about Armenia refers to the same goddess as Anaitis. In fact, if one
refuses to use the accurate Armenian version Anahit, it would be more
logical (yet still incorrect) to use the Greek version Anaitis rather
than the Persian Anahida. Afterall, the ancient Greek civilization, in
contrast to the ancient Persian civilization, lies in the foundation of
the Western civilization, to which this film production belongs.
Nevertheless, calling goddess Anahit as Anahida (or even Anaitis) in
`East of Byzantium' would be equivalent to calling William Wallace in
`Braveheart' with his Arabic (or French) version or pronunciation.

Second, Anahit was not the goddess of war, but that of motherhood and
fertility. Here is how Sargis Haroutyounyan describes Anahit in his
book on ancient Armenian myths and tales: `The most worshipped and
loved goddess Anahit was the daughter or the wife of Aramazd. She was a
mother goddess, depicted with a child in her hands, with a special
hairstyle unique to Armenian mothers and women ¦ As a mother deity
Anahit was the embodiment of motherhood, harvest and fertility' (
http://www.armenianh.../04-gods.html#2 ). Please note
that Sargis Haroutyounyan is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of
History and Philology of the Yerevan State University's Armenian
Philology department, head of the department of archeology, history and
mythology of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of
Armenia, doctor of philological sciences, professor. In short, he is
considered an authority on Armenian mythology. Even if Anahit was
confused by another deity in the same region and was assigned some
features of divinity of war (e.g. its counterpart in the
Assyrian/Babylonian pantheon, goddess Ishtar, who was the divinity of
love, fertility and war), Anahit was still worshipped in Armenia as the
goddess of motherhood and fertility. In the Armenian pantheon the god
of war was Vahagn.

As noted earlier, it is of utmost importance that such a significant
period in the history of Armenia is presented in an accurate manner. It
is not yet known what other inaccuracies exist in the script or what
other unintentional misrepresentation could creep in as an inevitable
result of artistic freedom. As is customary, the development of the
script and further production of `East of Byzantium' should include the
advice of trusted and respected scholars of Armenian history. It would
be rather prudent to enlist experts from Armenia's own academic
circles, in order to exclude the possibility of `alternative' (i.e.
false or inaccurate) interpretations of Armenian history present in
foreign academia. Otherwise, knowing the enthusiasm with which
Armenians embrace any presentation of Armenian history or culture in
the mass media, a new generation of Armenians could potentially develop
the wrong perception of that period in our own history. This also
concerns the foreign audiences, who would base their understanding of
Armenian history and civilization solely on cinematic interpretations.

Stepan Sargsyan
Contributing Correspondent (Los Angeles),
ARARAT Center for Strategic Research

Published by Ararat-Center at 1:41 am under Article

Edited by Arpa, 17 June 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#102 hetanos

hetanos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

Can we say safely that angegh=voch geghetsik as animast=imast chunetsogh or anshnorhq-shonrhq chunetsog?

We can say that Byurakane geghatesil vayrerits mekn e hayastanum. Mievnuyn jamanak, Erevani janaparnere shat angeghatesil en nerkayatsnum qaghaqe Amerikahay zbosashrjikneri achqerum?

Edited by hetanos, 16 June 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#103 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:06 AM

Arpa jan, it was a bit long to read - but, thanks for all the pin points that you did!!! Trully appreciated!!!

#104 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

FAQ about East of Byzantium

East of Byzantium: Fugitives and Warriors has been, with its exposure, interpreted a number of different ways. The following will hopefully answer some of the questions people have been asking lately.

1) What does East of Byzantium mean?

Byzantium was the latter part of the Roman empire, when its Eastern half became more wealthy and powerful than the decaying West. Beyond it was the mighty and resurgent Persian empire. Between those two superpowers were ancient peoples fighting for their survival. This saga covers that story.

2) What exactly is EOB? A miniseries, a feature? A graphic novel?

The project was started with a feature in mind. It went from feature to miniseries based on a few meetings with international networks who thought that format was more workable at the time. Currently the interest has been back to a feature version involving one or both of the two major arcs in this saga (the Gregory/Tiridates story and the Vartan Mamigonian story, which takes place 150 years later). A documentary version was even entertained but that is not being pursued currently.

3) What is the history the project is based on and how accurate to details will EOB be (whatever its final form)?

The EOB saga is an historic fantasy based on real events and real people. It pulls upon the mythological and legendary aspects and the meaning behind those stories, rather than a step-by-step documentary retelling of history. People who are attracted to the historic aspects can no doubt pick up a history book afterwards and delve into the facts a bit more, but the purpose here is entertainment, not a lecture. That said, very detailed research has gone into the fabric and layering of the world of these characters.

4) Will Roger Kupelian be directing the feature version of either of the EOB stories?

Undecided as yet. Kupelian, who owns the project and known for his visual effects and design work, is directing its development and look, and creating its ancillary products, such as the graphic novel. Major studio funding will obviously require that an A-list director and talent is attached. A number of such entities are being approached. It is always the tug of war between private investment and studio commitment.

5) What is the footage we are seeing now? Was that not part of the final movie?

Fantastic as it is, that footage was produced as proof of concept, both for the pitch reel and the fundraisers that occurred in 2008. There are a few more pieces which will be released strategically, along with animated online graphic novels building the universe surrounding the core stories. The footage also served to imprint a visual style which will set it apart from similar projects and its further use is being explored.

6) Is this a project primarily for an Armenian or religious audience in mind?

We get this question a lot. It's true that religion and identity play a part in the fabric of the events in EOB. But the story and the resulting releases are intended for a universal audience. It was a pivotal era in world history where the question of identity and what is worth fighting for resonated just as loudly as it does today. We did not have to be Greek to like "3oo", Highland Scots to love "Braveheart", nor high elves to watch "Lord of the Rings" umpteen times, so everyone's welcome. Even Byzantines.

7)Which part of the EOB saga is likely to be made into a film first?

Screenplays and development exist for both parts - part 1 being the Tiridates/Gregory story and part 2, the Vartan epic, and both have gotten considerable interest. So it is difficult to say at this point.

8) Has there been a lot of support in the Armenian community?

Interesting question. The short answer is yes. But again, the goal is not to primarily target an Armenian audience and make this an "Armenian project". It's far too big for that. There is obviously a lot of excitement from anyone who likes period pieces and also from those who are more familiar with the role of new media in entertainment. There are a number of "unofficial" promos floating around youtube, for example.

9) What does the Graphic Novel you mentioned focus on?

It primarily focuses on the major confrontation that occurred in Asia Minor right in 451 A.d. right about the time Attilla the Hun was rampaging through what was left of the Roman Empire. The Persian Shah sought to limit Western influence among the nations of his realm, and at that point in history religion was almost synonymous with cultural identity. Much like the Maccabees of the Old Testament, the Armenians (and their allies) refused to give up their ancestral faith (Christianity in this case) knowing it was cultural suicide. There were of course those that thought differently. The resulting civil war and eventual military intervention by a mighty Persian force was met with extreme bravery and sacrifice, arguably changing the course of Western Civilization itself.

The Graphic novel tells their stories in chapters, each from the point of view of different characters surrounding these events, which in the chronology of the EOB saga would be considered Story #2.

10) Is EOB:FAW supported by a major studio?

Meetings are ongoing, and new interest from various studios and production companies is frequent. "It's making the rounds" as they say. It's only a matter of time.

11 )How can I support EOB?

One way is to join the facebook page dedicated to Vartan Mamigonian himself
run by EOB artists:
http://www.facebook....083719&ref=name

as well as becoming a fan for project itself:
http://www.facebook....ium/28209607862

Some have even started fan sites on their own.
The most important thing is that fans keep coming back and enjoying the story and the visuals, and of course, spread the word and excitement. This is an out of the box approach for a very unique and engaging subject.

#105 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

(Significant Clarifications)

#106 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

The song is Serbian and very nice:)

#107 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:36 AM

#108 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

thank you Gamavor

huysov shutov tesnenq...

#109 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

MEL GIBSON TO SHOOT A FILM ABOUT VARDANANC HEROIC BATTLE

ARMENPRESS
4 May, 2012
YEREVAN

YEREVAN, MAY 4, ARMENPRESS: An Armenian businessman has an arrangement
with world known producer and actor Mel Gibson on shooting a
historical film about Armenia in Hollywood. Armenpress informs that
towards parliamentary elections in Armenia during the meeting with
representatives of culture, art and science about this mentioned RPA
leader Serzh Sargsyan.

"I have asked one Armenian businessman who has preliminary agreement
with Mel Gibson. I hope that he will come to Armenia this year and we
will discuss the future life of that arrangement" said Serzh Sargsyan
assuring that the film would be about Vardananc heroic battle (events
which took place in 451 when Armenian national hero Vardan Mamikonyan
revolted against Persian yoke) and preliminary version of the title is
"East from Byzantium".

#110 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

This the umpteenth déjà vu . Asthat great philosopher Yogi Berra wpuld say "(seen)All over again".
Seeing is believing.
Why is it always the megastars like Spielberg, Stallone, Schwartzenegger and Gibson? Where is Joe Schmoe the actor,producer, director, or Ambakoum Hambakian? Has anyone written the acreenplay? WHO? moshe jufutoghlu? :oops: I dn't mean Franz Werfel :P
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=39357
Who is this "Armenian industrialist"? Who imvents these fables? Is his name Anpakoum Yerazoghian?
My name is Thomas, call me Doubting Thomas, Անհաւատ Թումաս:**

John.20
24] But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25] The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
----
25Միւս աշակերտները նրան ասացին, թէ՝ Տիրոջը տեսանք: Եւ նա նրանց ասաց. «Եթէ չտեսնեմ նրա ձեռքերի վրայ ﬔխերի նշանը և իմ մատները ﬔխերի տեղերը չդնեմ ու իմ ձեռքը նրա կողի մէջ չխրեմ, չեմ հաւատայ»:

** I spelled it so since the word is from Aramaic “thoum” meaning twin.
Here is the BS from the Armenian site of Names-

ԹՈՎՄԱՍ -եբր. Thomas, ռուս. ՂՏՎՈ. նշանակում է “երկվորյակ”: Հայերի մեջ տարածված էր Թովմա ձևով. Այժմ ավելի իշխող է Թումաս ձևը: Սրանից են Թովմասյան, Թումասյան ազգանունները
TOVMAZ -From Greek, Latin name Thomas; Russian Foma which means "twins" In Arm the forms Tovma and Tumas are also met. The corresponding surnames are Tovmasyan, Tumasyan.

And the real thing;

Thomas the Apostle, also called Doubting Thomas or Didymus (meaning "Twin," as does "Thomas" in Aramaic") was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus. He is best known for questioning Jesus' resurrection when first told of it, then proclaiming "My Lord and my God" on seeing Jesus in John 20:28.
===
Who is Thomas' Twin? "Twin" of Jesus?. Thomas (Tau'ma) means twin in Syriac,

Edited by Arpa, 07 May 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#111 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

MEETINGS BETWEEN MEL GIBSON AND ROGER KUPELIAN CONTINUE WITH THE AIM TO SHOOT A FILM ON ARMENIA

http://www.yerkirmed...&lan=en&id=7376
11:34 . 26/05

The author of Hollywood visual effects and filmmaker Roger Kupelian
met Mel Gibson and President Serzh Sargsyan's representatives with
the aim of shooting the film "East of Byzantium" telling about Armenia.

According to Kupelian: "Armenian culture needs to embrace warrior-code
based identity over one that focuses on its victimization, and this
project that I have personally financed over the course of ten years
has been shaped by that ideal".

Kupelian's East of Byzantium chronicles the history of Armenians from
the adoption of Christianity as its state religion in 301 AD to the
Battle of Avarayr in 451 AD and the victories following it.

The meetings between Kupelian, Fugitive Studios Entertainment Armenia
founder and Gibson started in May, 2011 in Moscow. The two have been
meeting intermittently until as early as last month. Fugitive Studios
said that the most recent Kupelian-Gibson meeting "was promising yet
preliminary." Negotiations with prospective producers of the project
are also being pursued, with the goal of reaching a solid conclusion
before the end of this year.

#112 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

KUPELIAN CREATES ARMENIAN GRAPHIC NOVEL

El Vaquero, The Student Newspaper of Glendale Community College, CA
Nov 14 2012

Rebecca Krueger, El Vaquero Staff Writer

Roger Kupelian is the creator of some of the most iconic worlds
in contemporary cinema, such as the "Lord of the Rings "trilogy,
and he has constructed a new world in his latest endeavor, "East
of Byzantium."

With the job title of matte painter, it's up to Kupelian to paint
and digitally enhance the environments and backdrops of the movies
he works on.

"East of Byzantium" is Kupelian's recently published graphic novel
series and he is looking to make it into not only a mini-documentary
series, but into a major motion picture.

Kupelian promoted his latest project at the Glendale Central Library
Auditorium on Thursday.

"East of Byzantium" spans 150 years of Armenian history starting at
301 A.D. when Armenia became the first Christian state in history.

"Persia and the Roman Empire were warring with one another and between
this collision is Armenia," said Kupelian. "Emperor Diocletian sent an
exiled Armenian king back to claim Armenia as an ally of Rome. That
changed that region of the world forever. It set a series of events
in motion and altered not only the balance between empires, but the
balance of religions and cultures."

The story covers the aftermath of the Armenian king's reinstatement
and his people's division by religious tension. Armenia's monarchy is
soon toppled by the Persian army and the remnants of wealthy noble
families become rivals. The warring nobility's allegiance is deeply
rooted in its pagan (Persian) or Christian (Roman) heritage.

The constant bloodshed leads into the year 451 A.D. and Kupelian's
interpretation of St. Vartan Mamigonian, the most venerated saint in
the Armenian Orthodox Church.

"I wanted a Vartan that was very different than the one history
depicts," said Kupelian. "I wanted a Vartan that I can relate to. I
wanted someone that was in the mud, on the battlefield and was
struggling for his life, because that moment is glory for a warrior."

Kupelian painted his first image of Vartan in New Zealand, on the
set of "Lord of the Rings."

Working on "Lord of the Rings" sparked Kupelian's desire to write
the screenplay for "East of Byzantium" that also prompted the graphic
novel, but his foundation and passion for this story delves deep into
his childhood.

Growing up in Sierra Leone, Africa, Kupelian was apart of the minority,
being one of the very few African-Armenian kids in the region.

"You realize when I was growing up that I was a part of the United
Nations. Out of a mixed group I was the Armenian kid in Africa," said
Kupelian. "That is where my sense of identity came from. My parents
made sure that I understood our history, mythology and culture. I
knew where I came from."

During his childhood, Armenia was under the control of Soviet Russia.

When Kupelian was two and a half years old, his father took him to
the harbor in Freetown, Sierra Leone, where there was a Soviet ship
docking named Armenia.

"The ship was being sent around for propaganda purposes," said
Kupelian, "so, of course with a ship called Armenia there were soldiers
from Soviet-Armenia."

The Soviet-Armenians were exiting the ship when Kupelian was perched
on his dad's shoulders. His dad told him, "these are Armenians."

In response the young Kupelian recited in Armenian, "I am armenian,
I am son of Vartan, fear me."

The small chant is a loose translation of a traditional Armenian poem
about St. Vartan.

Kupelian recalls the power of his words, "There wasn't a dry eye
getting off that boat. These people were oppressed and nationalism
wasn't allowed. They didn't expect to hear something so free and
patriotic from some kid in Africa and we all grew up with that poem."

This experience has heavily impacted his love for his culture and
people. He also derives inspiration from his culture through learning
about the Armenian Genocide. Armenian culture has evolved over the
years, according to Kupelian. Armenians have gone from proud unicorns
to helpless victims.

"A culture that is thousands and thousands of years old, one hundred
years ago had to endure almost complete annihilation," said Kupelian.

"So we learned about the genocide in 1915."

He was a nationalist stuck between two conflicting emotions that are
a part of a culture that, seems to him, is always struggling.

Armenia was struggling again in 1998 when the Nagorno-Karabakh War
started and Kupelian set out to film it. "Dark Forest in the Mountains"
was Kupelian's first documentary, and the first time he directed a
movie. He started filming the war in the 1990s.

Avedis Sangigian is an Armenian-American veteran from the
Nagorno-Karabakh War who attended Kupelian's lecture. Sangigian
fought for a year and a half and was one of many Armenian Americans
that volunteered to fight.

Garo Kyahkidjian was a friend of Sangigian and is a main character
in Kupelian's documenatry. Kyahkidjian died after the war.

"I watch that documentary everyday," said Sangigian, in memory of
his old friend.

Sangigian and Kyahkidjian's bravery makes them warriors, according
to Kupelian.

"I want our next generation to see itself in terms of being a warrior,"
said Kupelian. "We must once again embrace and embody what it means
to be a warrior tribe."

http://www.elvaq.com...-graphic-novel/
  • MosJan and Vanetsi like this

#113 Vanetsi

Vanetsi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I agree, we need to shift our attitude to one of a warrior culture. A self-pitying demeanor will get us nowhere. The good news is I feel the tide is already turning.

#114 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

After a long lull it is in the news again.
What I dont understand is the term [Mini - Series.]
Miniseries where? TV? Which TV? Theater? Which Theater?
========

http://asbarez.com/1...t-of-byzantium/

http://asbarez.com/A...5/byzantium.jpg

byzantium.jpg

Asbarez Armenian News - http://asbarez.com -

East of Byzantium: War Gods & Warrior Saints Epic Documentary Mini-Series Announced
LOS ANGELESVisual Effects Veteran Roger Kupelian (Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Flags of Our Fathers), Emmy Nominated Documentary Filmmaker William Martens, and multiple international award winning producer Seda Melkoni of Journey Pictures, have teamed up to produce the epic documentary mini-series East of Byzantium: War Gods & Warrior Saints.
Inspired by the graphic novel created by Roger Kupelian, forensic and exacting historical research will guide the telling of this epic true story. If ever there was a real Game of Thrones, this is it. The visually stunning documentary mini-series will explore the little known but pivotal era in world history spanning Romes last era of glory, the birth of Christianity as an organized and state supported religion, the myriad cultural and religious tides of the time, and the battles between the ruling empires and houses of nobility that would decide the fate of the Caucuses, the real Middle Earth, and ultimately the fate of the Western World. War Gods and Warrior Saints brings heroes, heroines, barbarian hordes, and epic battles to life in this true telling of the tug-of-war that profoundly affected the future of humankind.
Privately financed, production is set to begin in June and will be presented to the networks by early fall 2014. Grammy winner Serj Tankian (System of a Down) is in talks to compose the score.
======

Edited by Arpa, 15 May 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#115 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

16:13 19/06/2014 » CULTURE

Production deal made for East of Byzantium: War Gods & Warrior Saints

Visual Effects Veteran Roger Kupelian (Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean Saga), Emmy Nominated Producer William Martens, and multiple international award winning producer Seda Melkoni of Journey Pictures, have teamed up to produce epic documentary-narrative miniseries East of Byzantium: War Gods & Warrior Saints.
Inspired by the graphic novel created by Roger Kupelian, forensic and historical research will guide the telling of the epic true story of the tug-of-war between religion and politics, and the first domino of the first world religion falling in the Caucuses, between the Roman and Persian Empires, the Birth of Christianity in the region, and the Armenian Kingdom that became the first to adopt the new faith as its official religion.
Privately financed, production has begun in Armenia as of June 7 with production offices stationed at Tumo where students have been given a learning opportunity with the production by filming time lapse scenes, assisting on production sets as well as participating as background actors. The production portion filmed in Armenia has been managed by Armen Kupelian of Fugitive Studios, a resident of Armenia.
Upon completion the mini-series will be presented to the worldwide networks by early fall 2014. Serj Tankian (Grammy winning lead singer of System of a Down) will compose the score.

Source: Panorama.am

• MosJan likes this

#116 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

one  step at the  time :)

HAmperutyun chunem el  chem karroghanum spasel .. :ap:

#117 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hampere, hogis hampere! :)

#118 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

It is not hambereh, it is dram bereh.
Where is the money?
Building stupid dolphinariums?
To me, the main obstacle to this project seems to be financial, and lack of support.
Miniseries?
Let me ask again.
Where, when? On which medium?? On PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN or other media?
Talk is cheap, but where is the beef/dough?
Are we expecting that media like PBS et al sponsor, finance and air the miniseries for gratis, just because they love us?
Speaking of PBS, where the holohaux and other fables like david ben moshe and the Gazan (philistine?) goliath are shown a million times a day.
Read the names of the sponsors and donors and guess their ethnicity.
Do you ever see the name of a person or institution ending in -IAN?
**If only we had half a brain!!!
The straw man. aka Scarecrow- Խրտուիլակ/khrtvilak**
http://en.wikipedia..../Scarecrow_(Oz)

The old crow then told the Scarecrow of the importance of brains. The "mindless" Scarecrow joins Dorothy in the hope that The Wizard will give him a brain.

http://en.wikipedia....Bolger_1939.jpg

**We will see what that it means

#119 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Xo9tz3LLlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Հայազգի ռեժիսոր Ռոջեր Կուպելյանը «Բյուզանդիայից արևելք» ֆիլմի գաղափարը հղացել է դեռ 10 տարի առաջ, երբ մասնակցում էր «Մատանիների տիրակալը» ֆիլմի նկարահանմանը: Ռոջերը հայաստանյան նկարահանումները վստահել է եղբորը: Ֆիլմի Ավարայրի ճակատամարտի մեկնարկային դրվագը կյանքի է կոչվել Տավուշի Ենոքավան գյուղում: Հագուստների ստեղծման համար պատմաբաններ են ներգրավվել: Նրանք են հուշել, որ այդ դարերում հայ մարտիկների հագուստները կրել են և հռոմեական, և պարսկական կայսրությունների ազդեցությունը:

Ֆիլմի հեղինակն իր գաղափարի շուրջ միավորել է պրոֆեսիոնալների: Նրանցից մեկն «Էմմի»-ի մրցանակակիր պրոդյուսեր Ուիլյամ Մարթենզն է: Նեյշընալ Ջեոգրաֆիք և Դիսքավերի ալիքների համար դոկումենտալ ֆիլմեր նկարահանած Մարթենզը նշել է, որ ֆիլմում աշխատելու ցանկությունն առաջացել է այն ժամանակ, երբ տեղեկացել է, որ հեղինակը Ռոջեր Կուպելյանն է: Ո՞վ է ֆիլմի երաժշտության հեղինակը, քանի՞ երկիր են ընդգրկել նկարահանումները, ֆիլմը ե՞րբ վերջնական տեսքով էկրան կբարձրանա և արդյոք պահանջա՞րկ կունենա ամբողջ աշխարհում: Հարցերի պատասխանը հենց պրոդյուսեր Սեդա Մելքոնինն է:

ՀԱՄԱՀԱՅԿԱԿԱՆ ՆԱԽԱԳԾԻ ԲԱՆԱՁԵՎ

#120 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8Xo9tz3LLlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Հայազգի ռեժիսոր Ռոջեր Կուպելյանը «Բյուզանդիայից արևելք» ֆիլմի գաղափարը հղացել է դեռ 10 տարի առաջ, երբ մասնակցում էր «Մատանիների տիրակալը» ֆիլմի նկարահանմանը: Ռոջերը հայաստանյան նկարահանումները վստահել է եղբորը: Ֆիլմի Ավարայրի ճակատամարտի մեկնարկային դրվագը կյանքի է կոչվել Տավուշի Ենոքավան գյուղում: Հագուստների ստեղծման համար պատմաբաններ են ներգրավվել: Նրանք են հուշել, որ այդ դարերում հայ մարտիկների հագուստները կրել են և հռոմեական, և պարսկական կայսրությունների ազդեցությունը:
Ֆիլմի հեղինակն իր գաղափարի շուրջ միավորել է պրոֆեսիոնալների: Նրանցից մեկն «Էմմի»-ի մրցանակակիր պրոդյուսեր Ուիլյամ Մարթենզն է: Նեյշընալ Ջեոգրաֆիք և Դիսքավերի ալիքների համար դոկումենտալ ֆիլմեր նկարահանած Մարթենզը նշել է, որ ֆիլմում աշխատելու ցանկությունն առաջացել է այն ժամանակ, երբ տեղեկացել է, որ հեղինակը Ռոջեր Կուպելյանն է: Ո՞վ է ֆիլմի երաժշտության հեղինակը, քանի՞ երկիր են ընդգրկել նկարահանումները, ֆիլմը ե՞րբ վերջնական տեսքով էկրան կբարձրանա և արդյոք պահանջա՞րկ կունենա ամբողջ աշխարհում: Հարցերի պատասխանը հենց պրոդյուսեր Սեդա Մելքոնինն է:

Before we make an even a bigger fool of ourselves, let us first establish that there really was a Battle of Avarayr as we are made to believe.
I cannot find a good interactive map of Iran on the net. Consult other maps at your possession. Has anyone here visited the site of Avarayr? Why not?
From the below.
Was there really a battle of Avarayr? Where is the evidence? Where was it? Why is not anyone researching it? Has anyone found even a shred of evidence, like a button, a shoe/sandal lace? Never mind all that. Where are the tusks of all those elephants? Why are we not digging the site? Is it because we know it will blow away the whole legend ? It is not in enemy territory of furkey but in a relatively friendly Iranian territory. Not to forget that a few hundred years ago that area was part of Armenia.
Observe this map. Avarayr is supposed to be to the north of Khoy, what is now known as Marakan (protected area), a stones throw away west of Jugha.
A map of modern NW Iran.
A detailed map. See the inset,

http://hyeforum.com/...=1

Edited by Arpa, 24 June 2014 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users