44 replies to this topic

#1 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

As the Republic of Armenia prepares to celebrate 15 years of independence next month, the Assembly today welcomed a decision by California State Senators Charles Poochigian (R-Fresno) and Joseph Simitian (D-Palo Alto) to introduce a resolution in the State Senate designating September 21, 2006 as "Armenian Independence Day." A similar resolution will also be introduced in the State Assembly by Majority Leader Dario Frommer (D-Glendale) and Assembly Member Greg Aghazarian (R-Stockton), making California the first state to mark the anniversary of Armenia's independence, reported the Armenian Assembly of America.

Both resolutions recognize September 21, as "A Day of Celebration of the California-Armenia Relationship," and encourage the people of California to recognize the many talents, achievements, and contributions that Californians of Armenian heritage make. The resolutions also note that California is home to the largest population of Armenians in the U.S., and state, "those citizens have enriched California through leadership in the fields of academia, medicine, business, agriculture, government, and the arts, and are proud patriotic practitioners of the American citizenship."

#2 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

why do we even waste energy on nonesense like this?

#3 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Harut @ Aug 8 2006, 12:32 PM) View Post

I don't know Harut jan. To me it's just a news from the life of diaspora armenians.

Perhaps the gusakcakan guys can explain the motives behind this act!?!

#4 rostom

rostom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

Yes I must say that when I read this it was surprising and troubling at the same time. However, an even bigger shocker was when I learned earlier this year that the Glendale Unified School District observed Armenian Christmas (Jan. 6th) as a district wide holiday: all schools were closed in Glendale on that day.

#5 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(rostom @ Aug 8 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post
Yes I must say that when I read this it was surprising and troubling at the same time. However, an even bigger shocker was when I learned earlier this year that the Glendale Unified School District observed Armenian Christmas (Jan. 6th) as a district wide holiday: all schools were closed in Glendale on that day.

rostom, you missed the point.
over 60% of the students in glendale are of the armenian descend. the armenans, like the jews, the mexicans, and all the others, must not be deprived to celebrate religious holidays.

#6 rostom

rostom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

So riddle me this...what other school district in America observes a non-traditional American holiday due to the fact that majority of students are of a specific race/ethnicity/religion? None that I am aware of.

It's just opening a can of worms for dozens of other groups to jump on the bandwagon.

QUOTE(ArmoArmeN @ Aug 8 2006, 04:33 PM) View Post
rostom, you missed the point.
over 60% of the students in glendale are of the armenian descend. the armenans, like the jews, the mexicans, and all the others, must not be deprived to celebrate religious holidays.

#7 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(Harut @ Aug 8 2006, 03:32 PM) View Post

Harut Jan events like this advertises as to who are the Armenians. smile.gif
We had other threads where we complain that people are ignorant and they don't know us, when we tell them that we are Armenian.
Nobody will care for you if you don't exist in their world.

#8 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(rostom @ Aug 9 2006, 01:42 AM) View Post
So riddle me this...what other school district in America observes a non-traditional American holiday due to the fact that majority of students are of a specific race/ethnicity/religion? None that I am aware of.

It's just opening a can of worms for dozens of other groups to jump on the bandwagon.

I presume you mean Anglo-Saxon when you use the term American.

Yervant, there are many other ways to "advertise" oneself. Appealing for another day off in the year is not the only way to do it. But since you used a smiley, I'm assuming that you were joking.

#9 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(rostom @ Aug 8 2006, 04:42 PM) View Post

use the thing between you ears that is called brain. the twelve days of christmas is part of traditional american holiday.

#10 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Aug 8 2006, 09:56 PM) View Post
I presume you mean Anglo-Saxon when you use the term American.

Yervant, there are many other ways to "advertise" oneself. Appealing for another day off in the year is not the only way to do it. But since you used a smiley, I'm assuming that you were joking.

Hi Nairi,
Yes there are lots of other ways as well to advertise. My comment was for the Armenian Independence Day designation and not for the Armenian Christmas day off. smile.gif

#11 rostom

rostom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

How is this answering my question? Maybe you can keep the condescending tone out and be more effective in your response, because what you said makes no sense to me in relation to my original question.

QUOTE(ArmoArmeN @ Aug 8 2006, 07:53 PM) View Post
use the thing between you ears that is called brain. the twelve days of christmas is part of traditional american holiday.

#12 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(rostom @ Aug 9 2006, 03:55 PM) View Post
How is this answering my question? Maybe you can keep the condescending tone out and be more effective in your response, because what you said makes no sense to me in relation to my original question.

you wanna ticket to get you out of the situation? smile.gif

"...what other school district in America observes a non-traditional American holiday due to the fact that majority of students are of a specific race/ethnicity/religion?"

a. the twelve days of christmas are part of traditional american holiday

b. unless its holiday, the school district loses $$$ when the majority of students don't attend school.

solution---> celebrate the holiday & u'll not lose $$$

students are happy, the school district is happy and you are grinding your teeth. why?

#13 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(rostom @ Aug 8 2006, 07:42 PM) View Post

When my brother and I were in public school growing up in NJ during the 1980s, we used to take off for January 6 and bring in a note from the priest or diocese. After a certain point, they put Jan 6 on the district wide school calendar - not everyone had it off, but those who chose to take it would not be charged with an unexcused absence. There were only a few Armenian students in all 17 schools...

#14 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

I did not know there was such things as Armenian Christmas, isn't that the Orthodox Christian day of celebration in general?

#15 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Aug 16 2006, 05:07 PM) View Post
I did not know there was such things as Armenian Christmas, isn't that the Orthodox Christian day of celebration in general?

The one you are reffering to is called the Eastern Orthodox Christmas, which is held on Jan. 7th where as Armenian Christmas is held on Jan. 6th.
Russians, Ukranians and Serbs amongst others belong to the Eastern Orthodox Church. smile.gif

#16 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

so there is a day difference...interesting

on another note:

is that bear drunk?

#17 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Aug 16 2006, 06:22 PM) View Post
is that bear drunk?

No, tongue.gif just resting for the second round of partying.

#18 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

I grew up in Massachusettes,I remember school starting in early September,then we'ld get 2 days off in that same month...one for Rosh Hashana and one for Yom Kipur...so what if Glendale takes January 6th off?
The other day on the radio one of the DJ's was talking about something in Glendale,and she says..ah yes Glendale,the home of Armenians and the Galleria smile.gif
eta...we lived in Marblehead MA,not sure if the entire state got those days off.

Edited by Maral, 16 August 2006 - 05:19 PM.

#19 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Aug 16 2006, 07:15 PM) View Post
eta...we lived in Marblehead MA,not sure if the entire state got those days off.

I did not know MA had Maralhead? tongue.gif

#20 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

frusty.gif

always have to get the last word eh?

hammer.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic