13 replies to this topic

#1 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

some moron broke my usb flash drive in a public place. Most likely it was this jap guy who leand toward my computer to ask for something.

Anyway. the flash drive still works, but the end that enters the usb port is kindof loose. I'm afraid it'll come off after putting it into a computer and pulling it out several times. You know how tight these usb drives attach to the port.

the idiot ruined my mood for the day, because i just bought this one. for $65.

Any recomendations if this thing can be repaired? and does anyone know if newegg will replace it if i tell them that it broke after i tried pulling it out?
any experience in this area?

#2 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

i don't know about returning or repairing, but that's what happened to my very first drive years ago and i used it for another few months... so, i think it will still work for a while...

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Fill the area around it with super glue? Or some JB Weld. That's if all the connections are ok and all that's damaged is the casing.

If you are good with soldering, then you can open it up and resolder any broken connectors. Then cover it with super glue or JB Weld or any of those "2 container" type glues that you mix together to make an epoxy glue.

#4 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

ah sip jan. the problem is this one is "shok resistant" and is covered with rubber. i tried taking it out, but there's no way to do it without cutting the rubber. All i can do is temporarily push the rubber down.
If i knew there's a way to change the tip, i'd probably cut the rubber. but then i might mess up the whole thing, and throw it away. so i'm a little hesitant for now.

I can see what's broken though. it's the metal part that belongs to the usb tip that's soldered to the plate that's broken. You know the thin metal(almost like a wire, but slightly flattened and wider) that goes through the plate and is soldered on the other side to keep the tip from moving.
i'm not able to see if it serves any other purpose

Edited by hytga, 30 September 2005 - 07:29 PM.

#5 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

btw. you think jbweld is strong enough to hold that thin "wire" together?
i could probably put a couple of drops of jbweld with a toothpick.

i'm gonna do some reading on jbweld since i'm not familiar with it, meanwhile, any more suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by hytga, 30 September 2005 - 07:51 PM.

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

Hmmmm ... probably not ... I thought it was a plastic holder that was broken and wouldn't hold the metal connector so that's why I suggested jb weld or some sort of epoxy ... to reinforce the plastic. When with what you describe, I'd say soldering it back seems like the best option ... it's hard to believe there is no way to open it up but I'm sure you're right.

I don't know ... it's tough to say without seeing it. But if you go to any store that has glue, they usually have those "dual" glues ... that come in 2 separate containers that you mix together. They are usually very tough stuff. You can try jb weld but try not to get it on the connector. Tough call.

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Sep 30 2005, 08:04 PM)
If you are good with soldering, then you can open it up and resolder any broken connectors.

Soldering those connectors, one has just to be better than good. smile.gif

EDITED: Oh, it's just USB, I was in another planet, I thought it was the flash chip.

Edited by QueBeceR, 30 September 2005 - 10:41 PM.

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:28 AM

Believe it or not, I have soldered a connector that was burnt (water damage) inside a T-series sony laptop. It is by faaaaaaaaar the most difficult thing I have ever done (electronics wise) and I had to do it using a huge magnifying glass. The tip on my soldering iron was at least 5x larger than the connector pin. I somehow manged to get the wire to stick by heating the tip and touching it to the board. Then I had to pour glue on top of it to keep it there until I could boot up and copy the files I needed.

The laptop hasn't worked since (but I got the files) biggrin.gif

But ya, a USB connector should be managable with enough care. Anything smaller and I'd say fooooooget about it.

Edited by Sip, 01 October 2005 - 12:29 AM.

#9 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Oct 1 2005, 01:28 AM)
The laptop hasn't worked since (but I got the files) biggrin.gif

The contrary would have surprised me. Are laptop boards not multilayered?

Edited by QueBeceR, 01 October 2005 - 11:36 AM.

#10 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

Yes but this was a surface mount connector with one of those tiny ribbon cables going to it. Water had gone in there while the laptop was on (rain) and "arced" a couple of the wires causing the ribbon to burn and melt. I had to attach a wire on to the connector to bypass the ribbon.

#11 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:21 PM

Thank you Sip. I just jb welded the tip. Btw jb weld is not conductive.
it just dried up. it seems pretty tight.
I hope it stays that way.

now i have to superglue the rubber as neatly as i can.

thanks again.

#12 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:28 PM

Cool! I wasn't sure if JB weld was conductive or not but I guess we know smile.gif Let it dry at least 24 hours before you put any stress on it. It sets pretty quickly but usually it takes some time for it to really harden.

#13 beatnik

beatnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:27 AM

[hi yeah i have a problem with my usb flash drive i was using my computer then when i moved it to another place the tip bent and everytime i try to plug it in to retrieve the info on it it doesnt open so im wondering if there is a place where i can take it so they can at least retrieve all my school work thanks for your help[/size][font=Arial]

the tip is just bent it hasnt come completly off so im hoping i can get all my essays back

Edited by beatnik, 05 May 2006 - 01:29 AM.

#14 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:12 AM

If the connections to the tip have broken inside, you need to find someone with a very fine soldering iron that can solder them back on. Otherwise, one can take that end connector off and solder a USB wire directly onto the PCB board.

In any case, this sounds like it's a job for someone good with electronics (PCB soldering).

Maybe you can try to bend the tip back, though I doubt that would fix anything.

As a lesson for the future, ALWAYS have backups of your files. Have them on your hard drive (home PC, laptop, etc), email them to yourself or put somewhere online, put them on CD or DVD, etc. Don't rely on a single storage place ... ever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users