#21 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

How about in Armenia - has Brokeback Mountain even been shown in Armenia

No, because I believe there was a fear of certain party officials calling out and accusing anyone who sees the film of cooperation with hidden jews.

#22 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

I think it would be a great PR campagne for Armenia to accept gay marriage, the country will immediately end up on front pages of every major ne wspaper...and will tremendous help the Armenian cause...as far as respecting human rights etc....but this would never happen...so what is the point of my rant unsure.gif

#23 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:27 AM

You're right, it's not going to happen any time soon. Accepting homosexuality and gay marriage could both support and damage our cause. The Pope always enjoyed the fact that Armenians were generally conservative, religious people. Accepting gay marriage wouldn't help us much on that end.

#24 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Mar 29 2006, 01:27 AM) View Post
You're right, it's not going to happen any time soon. Accepting homosexuality and gay marriage could both support and damage our cause. The Pope always enjoyed the fact that Armenians were generally conservative, religious people. Accepting gay marriage wouldn't help us much on that end.

what does the pope have to do with armenians? Isn't our independent church decide our matters? If we are
under the influence of the pope then why don't we call us catholics and get it over with. I would hate to see Vatican has any affairs on Armenian social issues since they have not really been there for us.

#25 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Mar 28 2006, 03:43 PM) View Post
I think it would be a great PR campagne for Armenia to accept gay marriage, the country will immediately end up on front pages of every major ne wspaper...and will tremendous help the Armenian cause...as far as respecting human rights etc....but this would never happen...so what is the point of my rant unsure.gif

At the same time, it could then REAAAALLY turn the neighboring muslims against us (even Iran).

Edited by Sip, 29 March 2006 - 03:24 PM.

#26 Vanetsi

Vanetsi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Mar 29 2006, 02:58 PM) View Post
what does the pope have to do with armenians? Isn't our independent church decide our matters? If we are
under the influence of the pope then why don't we call us catholics and get it over with. I would hate to see Vatican has any affairs on Armenian social issues since they have not really been there for us.

I don't know what Armenak meant by this, but concerning what kakachik said, I think she's right. The Pope has no voice in Armenian social issues. In fact, the Catholicos doesn't even have a voice in it. It's long been the tradition of the Orthodox Church to not meddle with social issues, unlike the corrupt domineering Catholic Church.

#27 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(Vanetsi @ Mar 29 2006, 02:32 PM) View Post
I don't know what Armenak meant by this, but concerning what kakachik said, I think she's right. The Pope has no voice in Armenian social issues. In fact, the Catholicos doesn't even have a voice in it. It's long been the tradition of the Orthodox Church to not meddle with social issues, unlike the corrupt domineering Catholic Church.

yeah... that's why almost all hell broke loose when we were trying to implement the social security cards in armenia... pressuring the government to compromise in certain details...

Edited by Harut, 29 March 2006 - 05:21 PM.

#28 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Mar 28 2006, 01:43 PM) View Post

i wouldn't be surprised if this does happen sometime soon... the majority in armenia don't take the laws in the country seriously... they see them as just tools to please foreigners... (see the link, http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=13491)...
so, a very possibly scenario... the ruling coalition passes another europleasing law... the nationalists (Armen Avetisian) rant at the government for giving in to foreign powers... the church rants that it is against our traditions and values... the general public doesn't care, except some oppositionary pockets... some (very small numbers) homosexuals go on public... they get bit up by some youngsters... some (a very few numbers) get arrested and prosecuted... and that's it... nothing really changes in the country, except that another useless laws gets written on paper...

Edited by Harut, 29 March 2006 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users