#1 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Bovine diplomacy brings Turkey and Armenia one step closer
A cow that fled across the Arpaçay/Akhurian River from Turkey to Armenia required authorities resort to back-channel diplomacy for its return since neither country has official diplomatic relations with one another, resulting in one very roundabout bovine swap.

bovine-diplomacy-brings-turkey-and-armen

The incident occurred on June 29th at the Arpaçay district of Turkey’s northwestern border province of Kars, when a cow left her herd and fled across the Arpaçay/Akhurian River between Turkey and Armenia after her Turkish cowherd beat her with a stick as she was grazing. Leaping into the river, the cow was initially caught in the water’s strong currents and struggled quite a bit. She was eventually rescued by Armenian border troops who brought her over to the Armenian side.

When the owner, Engin Karadağ, was told of this incident by the cowherd later that evening, he got in touch with the nearby Digor District Governor’s office. Digor District Governor İsa Bolat in turn got in touch with Armenian officials at the border on July 2nd requesting the cow to be returned.

The diplomatic contact was fruitful and the Armenian side agreed to return the animal. However since neither country maintains diplomatic relations with one another, citizens of one can’t access the other, making the exchange anything but straightforward.

Armenian troops brought the cow to the banks of the river with a rope tied around its neck, but the cow refused to cross of its own volition. Instead, the Armenians decided to toss the rope towards the Turkish bank of the river and the cow’s owner climbed into the water and pulled her back to his side.

“The district governor managed to negotiate the return of my cow, and after 3 days I finally got her back,” Karadağ told reporters afterwards, “I’m very happy that I got my cow back.”

cow-1-03-07-2015.jpg

cow-2-03-07-2015.jpg

cow-3-03-07-2015.jpg

cow-4-03-07-2015.jpg

cow-6-03-07-2015.jpg

cow-7-03-07-2015.jpg

July 3, 2015 | BGNNews.com | Istanbul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users