Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 01:53 PM

This may be some interesting reading:

http://www.techtv.co...3484600,00.html

They are going after the people who share. They also seem to be targetting college students who have large bandwidths. UCLA just recently sent out a warning memo to all students about this. It's really nothing to be worried about ... just be aware.

Last month, we brought you the story of Jesse Jordan, a 19-year-old college student who became one of the first to be hit with a lawsuit by the RIAA. Jordan settled his case by paying $12,000 to the RIAA.

#2 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:33 PM

This may be some interesting reading:

http://www.techtv.co...3484600,00.html

They are going after the people who share. They also seem to be targetting college students who have large bandwidths. UCLA just recently sent out a warning memo to all students about this. It's really nothing to be worried about ... just be aware.

Last month, we brought you the story of Jesse Jordan, a 19-year-old college student who became one of the first to be hit with a lawsuit by the RIAA. Jordan settled his case by paying $12,000 to the RIAA.

12 thousand? This guy is hell rich, I mean, if every title worth 1 $ of copyright, he would have pied for 12 thousands of titles... and I dough has 12 thousands of titles, that would be over 40 Gb of mps.

The RIAA has stolen the kid.

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:38 PM

What if they charge $1 for every download? Then the kid could be REALLY in trouble!

#4 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:56 PM

What if they charge $1 for every download? Then the kid could be REALLY in trouble!

Do you mean mps download? Why in trouble? He was able to afford 12 thousands, I will never pay a dollar and would have continued with that in his cases. What proves do they have that he did not delet those files? you have every rights to use them as demos and delete them later, no one has the right to search in your HD unless they think you have terrorist stuff, criminal things(which pedophelia is considered as such), for the rest, if it is not criminal, no one has the right to ask to have the content of your HD, and without it, they can never prove that you kept those files, and not just tried those musics.

I am not an mp3 fan, I barly have 10 mp3s in my HD, and I have no problem telling what I downloaded, they are stuff that are already not sold. The rests are midi files. But still, I think if the RIAA has problems it is to it to do everything possible in order to not permit copying of file, because it is keeping the thing that is illegal, and not "trying it" and they have to prove that it was your intention to keep it.

As for "bandwidths" what proves those individuals do not share other files beside mp3s, what proves that they are not connected to international radio stations or channels from the Internet, like I myself do. I mean, there is many things that could explain it, and it is illegal for them to know what you are doing in your home on your computer, if they have a problem, they just have to do everything possible, I don't know a physical marquer or something to bare people downloading them, or self-destructive files, things that would prevent you to do it, it appears to be like a government declaration of war, while a special law is introduced, where the government has the right to enter in every homes and do what ever they want.

#5 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:21 PM

How is it illegal for them to know? If you are sharing the files on your HD publicly (like on Kazaa or something) then you are sharing your files and finding out what you have as trivial. Now the legal question is ... is it illegal to share the songs on kazaa if you own the CD? Isn't copying illegal?

What I am trying to say is that it seems to me, technically, the people who download are breaking the law ... not the ones that share. But I'm not a lawyer so what do I know. Of course I doubt that guy owned the songs he was sharing anyway. :D

#6 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:41 PM

Isn't copying illegal?

Isn't making the prices of CDs unaffordable asking for people to share their music?

And... you copy music from your friends as well, don't you? So why not do so from strangers on the net?

So far I've never downloaded music illegally. Everything I have is perfectly legal; it's all from bands promoting singles/demos and allowing potential customers to download one or more of their tracks from an album. MP3.com for instance is perfectly legal, as long as you agree with their terms.

#7 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:53 PM

And... you copy music from your friends as well, don't you? So why not do so from strangers on the net?

How many friends do you have? 100? 200? 300? Let's say you have 1000 friend and you copy from them. The music industry probably wouldn't give a rats ass. But once you start having 24 million "friends" all passing around songs with the group continuing to grow every day, that's when things get VERY messy.

So the simple answer to your question is the sheer scale of it.

So far I've never downloaded music illegally. Everything I have is perfectly legal;

... and I'm the prince of England.

hip hop cheeery'o old chap :lookaround: :D

#8 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:00 PM

How dare are you Sip :angry: to question Nairis sincerity. When she say, she never, then it is never. The next time I see you doing that to Nairi, I will spank you myself. :P

Edited by Fadix, 30 July 2003 - 08:02 PM.

#9 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:02 PM

hip hop cheeery'o old chap :lookaround:  :D

It's true!!! I don't have Kazaa!!! I have a Mac, remember?

Seriously, these bands allow people to download their music from their own websites!!!

(But I do possess illegally copied material that others downloaded for me :ph34r: but not much!!! The rest I bought for a very cheap price in Armenia :))

As for the scale, if you look at the scale of money these artists are making these days (without our contribution!!!), you wouldn't feel so guilty anymore.

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:04 PM

hip hop cheeery'o old chap :lookaround:  :D

It's true!!! I don't have Kazaa!!! I have a Mac, remember?

Seriously, these bands allow people to download their music from their own websites!!!

(But I do possess illegally copied material that others downloaded for me :ph34r: but not much!!! The rest I bought for a very cheap price in Armenia :))

As for the scale, if you look at the scale of money these artists are making these days (without our contribution!!!), you wouldn't feel so guilty anymore.

And what kind of music that would be?

#11 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:08 PM

Just about everything, but not top 40 radio hits: they're the ones you either have to buy or download illegally. Also full albums are usually not legally downloadable. Bands will merely give you a taste of their album. It's great for when you find bands you've never heard of!

#12 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:12 PM

Just about everything, but not top 40 radio hits: they're the ones you either have to buy or download illegally. Also full albums are usually not legally downloadable. Bands will merely give you a taste of their album. It's great for when you find bands you've never heard of!

Here, add that to your list of free music.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

:D

Those are masterpieces that worth 20 bucks the album, not the b.s on the top hits, that the albums ain't worth 5 bucks.

#13 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:23 PM

...As for the scale, if you look at the scale of money these artists are making these days (without our contribution!!!), you wouldn't feel so guilty anymore.

I disagree Nairi. just because they are making MILLIONS does not give you the right to illegally copy their songs. By the way sharing amongst 2 friends is illegal as well.

BTW: I too have never(that I can remember) downloaded a song. IF I have ever downloaded a song then I have listened to it and deleted it. I do not own an mp3 player and the music(very little) that I listen to I buy the CDs for.

#14 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:25 PM

How dare are you Sip :angry: to question Nairis sincerity. When she say, she never, then it is never. The next time I see you doing that to Nairi, I will spank you myself. :P

Domino, are you trying to make up to Nairi for your lack of sending her an email? :rolleyes:

#15 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:26 PM

Those are masterpieces that worth 20 bucks the album, not the b.s on the top hits, that the albums ain't worth 5 bucks.

:o :o :o :o :o
Domino you impress me...

#16 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:30 PM

How dare are you Sip  :angry:  to question Nairis sincerity. When she say, she never, then it is never. The next time I see you doing that to Nairi, I will spank you myself.  :P

Domino, are you trying to make up to Nairi for your lack of sending her an email? :rolleyes:

Mind your business. :D :lol:

#17 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:32 PM

BTW: I too have never(that I can remember) downloaded a song. IF I have ever downloaded a song then I have listened to it and deleted it. I do not own an mp3 player and the music(very little) that I listen to I buy the CDs for.

hip hop cheeery'o old chap :)

#18 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:40 PM

Azat, I would agree with you if the prices of CDs were not this ridiculously high and artists were dependent on our money. I personally hate copied CDs for the simple reason that the sound quality usually stinks. As for the MP3s that I have, they're legal and I don't do anything illegal with them.

and the music(very little) that I listen to I buy the CDs for.

This is the difference :) I listen to A LOT of music and if I had to buy every single CD that I wanted....

#19 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:41 PM

:o :o :o :o :o
Domino you impress me...

But... but... but... I though you already knew I was melomanic.

BTW Azat, you are right that them making millions does not justify being in the illegality. What I have a problem with, is them trying to track everything you do on the web. And if I would have downloaded a pop music, after the second day I would be bored of the music, and delete it, not because it is illegal, but because I will releave the 4 mb that it takes of space. And plus, classical musics are cheap, of course not when a new album is out with the "best" hits or a celebrity as an opera singer I do not buy "hits" or mixings in the same albums, so I have them cheaper than the newest hits, and plus, they are like I want them to be. But I have left this passion for music 2 or 3 years ago, it has been exchanged with other passions that takes the time I had for that.

#20 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:44 PM

Nairi, copied CDs when they have been copied from the orginal, and not mp3s, or converted mp3s, are as good as the orginals in term of sound qualities, its digital, not analogue, it is copied bits by bits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users