ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:13 PM

DIASPORA IS THE ARMENIAN OIL

”Georgia has a sea, Azerbaijan has oil, and we have a Diaspora. Neither the first president, nor the present Authorities or Opposition profited by its potential”, Armen Zatikyan, USA’ “Justice” Bloc member said during the telephone conversation with us.

He is concerned about the state indifference towards Diaspora: ”Robert Kocharyan means ARF when saying Diaspora but the Armenians in Diaspora are neglected”.

Zatikyan says that Diaspora is remembered only during the TV-Marathons. ”We all know where the money goes to. Diaspora is treated like a milch cow”.

Mr Zatikyan voiced discontent over the Constitution in force, which deprives the Armenians in Diaspora of the chance for dual citizenship. He cited the example of Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili who granted the Georgians all over the world citizenship of Georgia.

”We are the only nation in the world to have 5 times more compatriots all over the world than residing in the homeland. It’s just a high treason not to use that potential”.

Armen Zatikyan also says that the state was to spend millions for education of the Armenian people abroad. Now they are multimillionaires, educated and skilled ones but they can’t serve their homeland. ”At present 2 million Armenians reside in USA. If every day each Armenian takes a dollar out of his pocket, it will be possible to support the homeland by $ 2 million daily. If each of them saves 10 $ Armenia will monthly prosper by $ 600 million. But no one takes us and our rights into consideration”.

Mr Zatikyan obliges Opposition to mention Diaspora in the programs. ”Opposition has gained 93% of votes from USA. We now demand to join for democracy and releasing power from those who seized it. Why doesn’t Opposition reckon with the Commune? ”.

http://www.tipsto.co...-tv/armenia.htm

#2 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Apr 1 2004, 03:13 PM)
We are the only nation in the world to have 5 times more compatriots all over the world than residing in the homeland.

5 times??? hard to believe.

#3 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

Maybe 3 or 4 at most, but he is addressing a very important issue in that article, and I believe its just an exercise to lack of power sharing, and eventually if granted, Diaspora bears lots of weight and can make a serious deference, not in just in financial contributions but in every sector, I wondered for a long time and its obvious "lawmakers" meanwhile are overlooking this very fact “lav tghaner” are just busy getting bigger belts and mansion building, and continuation of this kind of stand, eventually is going to disappoint lots of Disappearance who are enthusiastic and willing/eager to contribute. Fresh blood and new approaches, that is essential for Armenia now days. For which it’s a bit hard to find in ROA at present, and present times are crucial to insure for her survival

Edited by Edward, 01 April 2004 - 02:58 PM.

#4 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

I agree that dual citizenship could be helpful but it must be a qualified dual citizenship. One cannot expect to get a citizenship of a country where he has never visited, for example. Those who spend some time in Armenia should be given citizenship. Also, the rights that come with citizenship should be accompanied with certain obligations, or else it would be unfair to regular citizens who have both rights and duties (such as paying taxes and serving in the army).

#5 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Apr 1 2004, 01:05 PM)
I agree that dual citizenship could be helpful but it must be a qualified dual citizenship. One cannot expect to get a citizenship of a country where he has never visited, for example. Those who spend some time in Armenia should be given citizenship. Also, the rights that come with citizenship should be accompanied with certain obligations, or else it would be unfair to regular citizens who have both rights and duties (such as paying taxes and serving in the army).

for that and similar reasons they should start initial drafting and outline conditions such as you mantioned it, just simply ignoring the issue is stupid and counterproductive for ROA

#6 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Apr 1 2004, 04:15 PM)
for that and similar reasons they should start initial drafting and outline conditions such as you mantioned it, just simply ignoring the issue is stupid and counterproductive for ROA

Yeah, I agree. That was actually one of Kocharian's promises when he became president. They are talking but that's all they do.

#7 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Apr 1 2004, 03:17 PM)
Yeah, I agree. That was actually one of Kocharian's promises when he became president. They are talking but that's all they do.

I used to be very strong Kocharian's supporters but he proved to be just another typical dictator.
I use to be against violent overthroughs of governments but now I don't see any alternatives.Georgians forced old dog Shevy rolleyes.gif out and great for them.We should do the same however I don't see anyone with honesty and brains to replace Kocharian for now.
Dual citizenship is way overdue.I just hate Government parasites
that all they do is talk.One thing is true we are way smart screwing eachother up.

#8 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:10 PM

This issue was discussed in the past with views similar to those that have been expressed here. My romantic point of view is that Armenian citizenship should be given automatically to any Armenian that survived AG in a special cerimony in every single country. Nice way to rally the respective families. ROA should be seen as caring for the fate of the country and the diaspora, this would be a simple and meaningful way of doing it, and of course very fair. The rest: citizenship but no voting rights unless established in Armenia.

#9 -=VAHE=-

-=VAHE=-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:43 PM

Even though i hate Kocharyans guts im against the revolotion if it should come unless we have someone turstworthy to fill his place. It will also weaken the country during this time of progress or in the momentum of gaining progress, I don't know one of those two.

Edited by Vahe G., 01 April 2004 - 11:44 PM.

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:15 AM

Its ironic, for decades and centuries Armenian nation had a dream of independence, I always say and still do, give it a chance and it will thrive and prosper, I’m a strong believer in that, but, an issue as simple as dual citizenship, and I don’t know any other nation in this planet who championed so much or had dreams of one beautiful day have a right to call them self’s as one united people, for this same reason lack of progress from government of ROA as simple as (for example what Boghos stated) lack of adequate response or a solution. Do we blame an ordinary Diasporas for staying away or lack of involvements in Armenia? Wishful thinking maybe, but I for one can and welcome to see a “rose revolution” enough is enough!

#11 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:28 AM

A so-called revolution or an attempt will have a serious negative affect on our economy. This is not the early 90's anymore. Lots and lots of people are working now and running around keeping busy. Seeing people playing nardi (backgammon) on the hoods of their car trunks is not as popular anymore.

I agree with Vahe G that only when someone who deserves to take over Kocharians seat should be the time change takes place.

As far as dual citizenship goes I think somehow the diaspora needs to put more pressure on this dumb president. How about blackmailing? Perhaps Kerkorian and all the other big investors should threaten the government and say "Dual citizenship or we're out". If then the government still does not give in, and investments disappear look how fast a revolution will take place.

#12 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Proud EXPAT @ Apr 1 2004, 10:28 PM)
somehow the diaspora needs to put more pressure

And how do you suggest we do that?

I for one suggest writhing and making our voices heard in this issue, after all we were able to achieve much more over the years as Diaspora, in so many much more important issues concerning Armenians such as acceptance and recognition of AG, and for this as an example, if for a moment a Nation can/would unite, possibilities are endless, we just have to put our ideological differences aside and devote just fraction of our energy into this cause, and many such issues, I think this dual citizenship is just a test and small but essential hurdle to overcome, thus leading into "unification" and harmony leading "one nation one cause" mentality

#13 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:36 PM

I made my suggestion, although a little crazy, I still did voice it.

I also said the word "somehow", I didn't say I have the solution to this issue. I would hope others will share their thoughts on how it could be done.

Edward you mentioned "...if for a moment a Nation can/would unite, possibilities are endless, we just have to put our ideological differences aside and devote just fraction of our energy into this cause..."

Now I ask you, how do you suggest we do this? Let me tell you, it is almost impossible for us to put aside our ideological differences and unite. It might be much easier in the diaspora, but not over here.

The idiotic British Ambassador made that stupid comment, and some are talking about passing a law forbidding Genocide denial in Armenia, and many are saying our government should be more aggressive and confront the British government, but our government is too chicken shit to do that. They say "we can't risk having bad ties with the UK". GIVE ME A F-ED BREAK. How can our government not even pass such a simple law is beyond me.

Edited by Proud EXPAT, 02 April 2004 - 12:42 PM.

#14 TheArmenianPirate

TheArmenianPirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

My romantic point of view is that Armenian citizenship should be given automatically to any Armenian that survived AG in a special cerimony in every single country. Nice way to rally the respective families. ROA should be seen as caring for the fate of the country and the diaspora, this would be a simple and meaningful way of doing it, and of course very fair.

If this day ever happened the way you describe it, I would be euphoric, while a romantic notion indeed, it’s not impossible by any means. Certainly those that survived the Armenian Genocide definitely deserve to gain citizenship without any formal procedures or pre-requisites. And the rest should have to undergo some reasonable requirements. While most Diasporans may not want to permanently move back to our homeland due to their current situation in their state of residence, a good way to allow dual citizenship is using what TAP likes to call, “Cumulative Visit Time Accumulation” (CVTA). For example, a law could be passed stating that if you are of Armenian descent, and make cumulative visits for say 2 years total time spent in Armenia, then a citizenship can be granted. This way, the idea of “dropping everything” and moving just for citizenship will not scare away the mild mannered Diasporan that is not as passionate as yours truly. This cumulative system would allow a “30 something” that’s amidst a career, family, becoming rich/wealthy/powerful, etc, to essentially buy a summer home and visit our homeland a few months in the summer or for however many months he would like. Once the cumulative thresh-hold of 2 years total time spent in RoA has occurred, he could be given the right to citizenship, and for voting rights, another year or so of cumulative visit time could be added.

I think by implementing a system such as CVTA would be a win/win situation for all sides. The Diasporan would have a chance to gain his/her rightful citizenship but would not simply be “given” his citizenship, but instead would have to earn it via visits that are added to meet a required thresh-hold. This approach would be inviting to a Diasporan that would like to have citizenship but is not necessarily in a situation in his life where he can just drop everything and move to RoA for that citizenship. At the same time, while he/she is building accumulated time within our homeland, they will be adding revenue via “visitation spending” while there. And ultimately to gain voting rights, the additional cumulative time spent in RoA must be met.

For someone like me, that is saving up to in fact buy a secondary home in RoA, this situation would allow for much greater possibilities and flexibility toward earning that citizenship. Say if you have a very successful business that needs you 8 months out of the year, you could potentially use this type of a citizenship approach to take care of your financial issues while using time spent in RoA over say a few months a year as a means to also gain that citizenship that you would like to have. Ultimately with enough accumulated visit time, the voting rights that you want for your homeland can also be had.

The rest: citizenship but no voting rights unless established in Armenia.

Agreed, but what are everyone’s thoughts on a cumulative method of earning voting rights on Armenian soil?

I agree strongly. But while the parasitic officials under that regime are enjoying their feast at the cost of people’s well being, ignoring issues will be opted for if the issue at hand doesn’t somehow benefit the government officials on a personal level. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did start Diasporan citizenship offers at price of $49.99 going toward the Robert Kocharian and Company Retirement Fund. There are ways of snuffing out an oppressive regime while not hurting the people TOO MUCH, people will get hurt during a regime change no matter what, whether it's financially, emotionally, physically, etc, but the short and long run must be weighed before pulling the trigger of revolution. Stay tuned for more on this later. wink.gif

I agree that dual citizenship could be helpful but it must be a qualified dual citizenship. One cannot expect to get a citizenship of a country where he has never visited, for example.

Nicely put and very true. Citizenship must be earned, there is no exception to this rule. Otherwise we risk alienating a lot of Hyes that were born and live in RoA. In a sense it would be socially condescending of any Diasporan to not somehow earn his/her citizenship.

Those who spend some time in Armenia should be given citizenship. Also, the rights that come with citizenship should be accompanied with certain obligations, or else it would be unfair to regular citizens who have both rights and duties (such as paying taxes and serving in the army).

A progressive way of first earning citizenship then earning voting rights after being a citizen is a great idea. Again, I’d like to get everyone’s thoughts on whether cumulative CVTA method is a good one. What are it’s strengths and weaknesses? Also, please bare in mind that the CVTA way of earning citizenship and ultimately voting rights would ONLY apply to Diasporans, not odars. Odars should and must go through MUCH more stringent methods for citizenship to earn the rights of a citizen. Peronally, the Swiss mentality of “we have enough, we don’t need more citizens of non Swiss descent” is great, we do have enough and growing ever so slowly, but growing never the less, we just need to focus all of the Hye efforts to one epicenter, Armenia.

Discuss, discuss, discuss. MORE posts from all 1500 of you, come on, you can do it, send more PMs at the very least! Have a restful Sunday.

-The Armenian Pirate

Edited by TheArmenianPirate, 04 April 2004 - 08:19 PM.

#15 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:38 PM

ok TAP here is my opinion but I dont know how much it is tenable:

we as a family has decided that (me ,my wife and my 15 years old son )that if we under any sircumstance moved out of the middle east(where we dont feel at home any more)would be ROA.and for that reason we will visit there for the first time in our lives this summer.

now to move anywhere you have to start a business,many people adviced me against such a move because there exists an Armenian mafia which will take part of business profit, i dont know how much truth there is in that,guess I cannot find out until I visit there.

but on the other hand,I think that, given the chance Diaspora with its vast financial abilities and expertise in free interprise could take control of th economy of the entire Republic in no time at all,thereby gaining the scorn of the locals there, stressing division even more.

I think this point should be taken into consideration and foud a fair solution to it.

I cannot see myself going there buy a nice house a fancy car start a profitable business or establish a factory while the local Armenian next door enveys me.sure they might profit from my investment but still hasty moves could cause damage...

#16 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (Armat @ Apr 2 2004, 12:48 AM)
We should do the same however I don't see anyone with honesty and brains to replace Kocharian for now.

Armat remember how they got rid of Demrchian? I was in Armenia at the time.
There was great excitement and grief alike, but what did the ROA get in return?
That's right: Robert.

#17 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:06 AM

Citizenship should be awarded to anyone with a reasonable claim to be an Armenian. And that should include the right to purchase property or investment. I'll leave the discussion of what constitutes "a reasonable claim" for another time. And of course there are the issues of taxation and military service. But for the moment I will focus on voting rights. One must acknowledge that voting is about the future, not the past. Therefore, while it is reasonable to expect some residency before such rights are conferred, it should not be so much for the purpose of "earning" the right as it should be for familiarizing oneself with the issues and the conditions ("learning vs earning?" wink.gif ). In my view, a year would be sufficient. But the important issue about voting is whether the voter has a choice to bail out of the country after a disastrous decision plays itself out. Therefore, the focus should be on how much "stake" the voter has in the responsible running of the country. If someone has dual citizenship and can simply pack and leave to a comfortable life abroad when things turn sour, should he/she be given the right to vote for the the decisions affecting the future of a country in a very difficult part of the world? While I am making my bias apparent regarding the subject, I would like to hear what others have to say.

#18 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (Twilight Bark @ Apr 19 2004, 11:06 AM)
Citizenship should be awarded to anyone with a reasonable claim to be an Armenian ... I'll leave the discussion of what constitutes "a reasonable claim" for another time.

Well, we already have a draft for the Plege of Loyalty (aka MJ's test for Armeniannes) in place wink.gif

#19 15levels

15levels

Fix the heart with work of art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:too many

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

IHMO : Armenian citizenship should be granted by birth-right. If you have Armenian blood (at least on one side) or born in Armenia you should have the right to be the citizen. Thats how the law functions in the rest of the world, right? How is it that we are different (or should we be?)

#20 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:49 PM

Birth right means that citizenship is given to someone who was born in that place. You were referring to blood right or jus sanguinus, that is according to your ascendency, Germany is probably the best known example of blood right, up to recebtky Turks that were born in German soil were not entitled to citizenship. An obvious case of birth right is the US.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users