244 replies to this topic

#1 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:36 PM

Moderator's note: this post was not originally the starting post of the thread. A new topic originated in the middle of another thread which was split. The quotes are from there.

African-Armenian

Yes, continue to be the idealist like many others on this forum.

So are you telling me that when Turks and Azeri's invade Armenia this "African-Armenian" or Sev-Mard would actually be enough of a patriot to go and fight on behalf of his fellow Armenians? Are you also saying that he will know the history and folk stories passed down from father to son? What about the language? Culture? Traditions? You already lose the point of being part of a ethnic group when you trade the old for the new. I presume in a couple more generations when his family is forced to migrate out of America due to social unrest he will quickly betray his American roots like his ancestors betrayed the Armenian.

If you are not willing to die for your beleifs than you have no right to claim them as your own. Most of the so-called "intellectuals" on this forum can roar like a lion when they degrade Armenians, but when the call of action is heard they purr like a kitten.

why thank you vigil for your heartwarming goodbye, sounds like racism is the least of your problems! yeah i'm sure we'll miss you

Why do you assume I am being racist? I already stated many times that I am not being a bigot, but again you are entitiled to your own opinions. This is typical whenever race is brought up. The only rebuttal is pulling out the race card like many others have done in the past.

--oh yeah! don't be so quick to judge what i REALLY think about some of these issues! we might have more in common than you think! i just would choose my words more elegantly and express myself more gracefully than you have!
good bye

If you agree with me then be brave enough to stand behind your words instead of hiding behind a false ideal. Beleive me their is nothing in common between us. You conceive the truth from the very groups that are trying to destroy your kind, but you are ignorant to it because you assume this is the "norm", which it is not. Like I have said you there are two individuals in America, the colonized and the colonizer, where the first is exploited to meet the needs of the later.

Anyways I just wanted to address these few comments before I left, chow!

Edited by Vigil, 31 May 2004 - 04:26 AM.

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:59 PM

I am not willing to die for Armenia. Does that make me any less of an "Armenian"?

#3 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:04 PM

Vigil, people are free to do whatever they want. If somebody doesn't live in a country he neither uses the benefits of the country nor has any duties in that country. It is not a betrayal of not fighting in another country. If you feel that Armenians leaving abroad should go and fight for Armenia you have the right to encourage them (perhaps by your example) but preaching patriotism to them makes no sense, their country is not Armenia. It is unfortunate that many of us are spread all over the world and can't be of much help to Armenia. But I don't think you can tell anyone what to do with their lives. I am sure you would mind if anyone told you the same.

#4 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:37 PM

You know you and your girlfriend are a prime example of how easily Armenians, men and women, are giving up their identity for a false ideal, but it is not my place to comment on your situation due to the fact that everything in the universie has a circumstance

You couldn't be more wrong. Who is giving up their identity? If anything I'm trying to ease the transition. Being a Carribean-American Black male I am in no position to become Armenian and I wouldn't want to be, I am me. I am making strides toward the Hye community because I know that many of them are very against what I represent and therefore I am trying to be the bigger person by making strides towards it, because I know that it won't make strides towards me.

I presume most of the stuff you heard about Armenian women being forced into  prostitution must have been directed to you from your Armenian girlfriend and her family. I also must assume that she has witnessed this by herself?

You couldn't be more wrong once again. I made that statement after reading articles posted on this site and seatching for more information myself. My girl has nothing to do with it. Nice try but wrong again. The reason I even brought that up is because I am very surprised at the attitudes of many Hyer when it comes to racial issues being an oppressed and attacked peoples, presumeably I thought this would make many of you more aware/accepting of different things. I am quite wrong in believe that, but things will continue. Bringing up prostitution was not an attack, it was about appealing to things I thought would bring about more open minded thinking from various Hyer.

I can only assume if you and your girlfriend get married and have kids, the Armenian line dies and the African is born, but again most are naive to this logic or are too busy trying to be "intellectuals" as opposed to Armenians.

It's not so cut and dry and from your perspective this is what will happen. I obviously don't mind much about your view on the situation. A baby will be born god willing, who's mother and father(by that time) will speak Armenian, and raise him/her with love and a world view on their culture(s). Knowing how Hyer are I will more than cater to my child getting the attention to detail of it's Hye culture that is necessary so that when it enters the world it will not be disparraged by hard heads like of which you represent. My life will go on.

I am not jesus and am not willing to die for the sins of my fellow Armenians. In short you can have the black man instead of the Armenian, bye.

Hongist, you're over doing the situation. You're not Jesus, nobody inferred that and you're dong to much in even saying that.

I don't mind your point of view, you can have it. I haven't even addressed your "text book" response in the other thread. Which is exactly that, 'text book' sounds very much like you don't have much real interaction with people to speak on. I deal with all kinds of people in the street, workplace, campuses whatever. I don't just read books about what they are supposed to be like, and then speak as if I've lived amongst them. This is quite easy to do. I'm not trying to steal your girls, I 'm not trying to be white, i'm not trying to be Armenian. I met a women who arrested my heart from the beginning and that's why i'm here now. I had no clue about the culture that I was about to be thrust into, but that is how Life goes. No whitewash syndrome, or black-male demasculinity. I still love black woman. Your assertions are too easy. I'm not the guy you think you know from reading a lot of books. I'm me, a descendant of Carribean born parents, college grad, teacher of English in Japan for 2 years, speaker of Japanese, Spanish, English and blossoming Eastern Armenian. Reader of any and everything. Combine all colors and you get black. I'm not trying to be anything, I am me.

Edited by sev-mard, 25 March 2004 - 04:44 PM.

#5 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

I am not willing to die for Armenia. Does that make me any less of an "Armenian"?

I bet the American male you want to become also historically has thought like you. I wonder what America would become if they had citizens like you in 1776, WW1, WW2, or any of the other defining moments of this nation.

I just hope that you are not finding an excuses to leave the forum because some idiots have hurt you recently with their retard comments. 

Please explain to me what I have said that has offended him? I never have nor ever will insult you so I ask of you to give me the same respect.

Your comments just proves my point as to how quick Armenians would sell out their own kind just to win the appeasment of "oders".

Domino you have lost a strong supporter of your work, but have gained nothing in return. I presume that you think this Sev-Mard has actually read your material and understands the plight of Armenians as well as I have? You can write volumes about the history of Armenians, but if their are none to preserve it left what use is it?

Like I have said you can have the black man for the Armenian.

I can see why you would feel this way but hyeforum does NOT represent our entire Armenian nation. Don’t be discouraged and keep posting because I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. I hope you'll change your mind and stay here longer

Sorry, my decision is final. I am not going to spend my time communicating with people that make comments like the ones above.

Edited by Vigil, 31 May 2004 - 04:26 AM.

#6 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

Vigil,

You said this is not personal but your words are very much so. Why do you feel so attacked. I don't think your people(of this forum) are against you? I mean you have a hard line vision for your people, which is fine. But why be so militant against them. I'm sure you've read Domino's writings, as well you should. Just as I should have and did read many things about my own culture when I was younger, and to and extent today. But I'm not trying to out-armenian anybody. I'm just being me. I interact with many people like you who always say that Armenians need to preserve their culture and not intermix. Yet many guys have never dated Armenian girls and date white and other women instead. And how many couples mixed odar and hye do you normally see? I rarely see any? I'm just wondering why are you so worried about this phenomenon, if it doesn't seem to be happening on such a wide scale?

#7 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

thumbsup.gif you're awesome sevik. bravo. One day, some of the many closed minds in our community will learn that adaptation and 'keeping' one's culture are not mutually exclusive. That day hasn't come yet...

#8 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:47 PM

Vava thanks,
I wish others could deal with people on the level. That's all I ask. If you talk and interact with me and find no reason to hate me, then don't. But don't feel a certain way just because, this is too easy. And if one black person did you wrong, that's not the entire race's fault. This is also too easy and quite common. I get into arguments with Armenians all the time in my daily travels, and believe me here(glendale, burbank, noho) I meet a lot more jerks than I do nice Armenians. But I'm open minded and a real person, you can't just go around being mad/hating on people for no good reason at all. You're missing out on a whole lot. It's easy for Vigil to just spout his rhetoric, but you don't even know me. You'd probably get along with me in ways you can't imagine. And that's the problem with being so hard in one's thinking, you can't imagine it any other way.

Edited by sev-mard, 25 March 2004 - 04:47 PM.

#9 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:03 PM

Vigil, the word « idiots » here, I was not referring to you. Sev-mart post about him quitting was made before your post answering him, while my answer was regarding the potential reason he was saying that he was quitting. So the “idiots” here could not have been you.

Just one thing I want to clarify here. It will be foolish in my point of view to die for Armenia or for any other country. What is not foolish though is to die for values which are important, such as justice, liberty etc... I am not writing all those things regarding the AG for Armenia or the Armenians, I am writing and fighting about it because it is just. I will have no less passion if it could be another thing unrelated with the Armenians.

And lastly, you were really unjust with Sev-Mart. Sev-Mart has been attacked for no reason at all. This man register on this board, even try to learn Armenian and learn our culture. WHAT ONE CAN ASK MORE??? I just really hope that it is not his color that is the causes here, as I am disgusted with all this racism.

Edited by Fadix, 25 March 2004 - 06:08 PM.

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Mar 25 2004, 04:43 PM)
Vigil,

You said this is not personal but your words are very much so. Why do you feel so attacked. I don't think your people(of this forum) are against you? I mean you have a hard line vision for your people, which is fine. But why be so militant against them. I'm sure you've read Domino's writings, as well you should. Just as I should have and did read many things about my own culture when I was younger, and to and extent today. But I'm not trying to out-armenian anybody. I'm just being me. I interact with many people like you who always say that Armenians need to preserve their culture and not intermix. Yet many guys have never dated Armenian girls and date white and other women instead. And how many couples mixed odar and hye do you normally see? I rarely see any? I'm just wondering why are you so worried about this phenomenon, if it doesn't seem to be happening on such a wide scale?

More genetic mixing there is better it is. biggrin.gif

#11 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:52 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. Who is giving up their identity? If anything I'm trying to ease the transition. Being a Carribean-American Black male I am in no position to become Armenian and I wouldn't want to be, I am me. I am making strides toward the Hye community because I know that many of them are very against what I represent and therefore I am trying to be the bigger person by making strides towards it, because I know that it won't make strides towards me.

Look eventually one of the identities will be the more dominant one don't you agree? Either your lineage will be Armenian or African, but it can never be both. I personally am not against you, but rather am trying to keep us from going extinct.

You couldn't be more wrong once again. I made that statement after reading articles posted on this site and seatching for more information myself. My girl has nothing to do with it. Nice try but wrong again. The reason I even brought that up is because I am very surprised at the attitudes of many Hyer when it comes to racial issues being an oppressed and attacked peoples, presumeably I thought this would make many of you more aware/accepting of different things. I am quite wrong in believe that, but things will continue. Bringing up prostitution was not an attack, it was about appealing to things I thought would bring about more open minded thinking from various Hyer.

You can be open-minding and accepting, but that still does justify me marrying a black woman for the sake proving my liberalism. So by your logic if a Armenian woman were to reject a black man she is racist?

It's not so cut and dry and from your perspective this is what will happen. I obviously don't mind much about your view on the situation. A baby will be born god willing, who's mother and father(by that time) will speak Armenian, and raise him/her with love and a world view on their culture(s). Knowing how Hyer are I will more than cater to my child getting the attention to detail of it's Hye culture that is necessary so that when it enters the world it will not be disparraged by hard heads like of which you represent. My life will go on.

Do you think what makes me a Armenian is because I can speak the language? Yes, to a certain extent language is important in defining a identity, but that is not what made me the Armenian I am today. Ok let me ask you this what culture will the child learn other than the Armenian? What idenity will the child inharit from your side of the family? Is he or she going to learn to be Carribian? African? Spanish? English? Dutch? Which one of the 5 identities are you going to emphesize?

Hongist, you're over doing the situation. You're not Jesus, nobody inferred that and you're dong to much in even saying that.

I am not jesus and that is why I do not want to get persecuted for my beleifs, which others apparently don't share.

don't mind your point of view, you can have it. I haven't even addressed your "text book" response in the other thread. Which is exactly that, 'text book' sounds very much like you don't have much real interaction with people to speak on. I deal with all kinds of people in the street, workplace, campuses whatever. I don't just read books about what they are supposed to be like, and then speak as if I've lived amongst them. This is quite easy to do. I'm not trying to steal your girls, I 'm not trying to be white, i'm not trying to be Armenian. I met a women who arrested my heart from the beginning and that's why i'm here now. I had no clue about the culture that I was about to be thrust into, but that is how Life goes. No whitewash syndrome, or black-male demasculinity. I still love black woman. Your assertions are too easy.

How is it text book and how have you rebuttaled my point? I live in Los Angeles in near USC, which I attend and has a strong black community around it, I know perfectly well what black culture is about.

However, I agree with you that everyone has a right to love anyone they desire. It is not my life and like I said before I can not create Armenians in my own image.

I'm not the guy you think you know from reading a lot of books.

As much as you have a right to keep your identity I have I right to keep mine, right? If people continually jump ship what happens to Armenians? What remains?

I'm me, a descendant of Carribean born parents, college grad, teacher of English in Japan for 2 years, speaker of Japanese, Spanish, English and blossoming Eastern Armenian. Reader of any and everything.

So is that suppose to make you expert? My friend has a 4 year degree from UC San Diago and teaches "engrish" in Japan. So by your logic my point would be more valued if I were to say that I am a physicist? If you must know I attend one of the best Accounting programs in the nation and if not the world.

Combine all colors and you get black. I'm not trying to be anything, I am me.

Yes, exactly you have proven my point. At the very end your line becomes black, which is nothing bad, but it signals the death of what ever was Armenian.

You said this is not personal but your words are very much so. Why do you feel so attacked. I don't think your people(of this forum) are against you?

Sev-Mard its not a personal attack towards you or African-Americans. I have many African-American friends and enjoy there company.

This is also too easy and quite common. I get into arguments with Armenians all the time in my daily travels, and believe me here(glendale, burbank, noho) I meet a lot more jerks than I do nice Armenians. But I'm open minded and a real person, you can't just go around being mad/hating on people for no good reason at all. You're missing out on a whole lot.

Again your logic amazes me. So if I want to continue being Armenian and do not want to ethnically soujourn I am missing out on life?

I mean you have a hard line vision for your people, which is fine. But why be so militant against them.

How many Armenians are there in the world? About 6 million? How many Africans? like a few hundred million, right? The only reason I am so hard on them is because I do not want us to go extinct, which tragically is happening. We are not like Jewish people and can not convert "odars". Everyday we decrease in number, while other minorities increase in number.

It's easy for Vigil to just spout his rhetoric, but you don't even know me. You'd probably get along with me in ways you can't imagine. And that's the problem with being so hard in one's thinking, you can't imagine it any other way.

How am I spouting rhetoric? I only ask questions that need to be answered. Yes, I am sure if I did know you we could be great friends, but unfourtunitly we have not met.

When I have said it was about you? When have I said it was about Afrian-Americans? Why do you automatically assume I am trying to be a bigot? I could have targeted any other minority and it would still contain my argument.

Listen, I have said it in my previous post that in any situation their is circumstances. Are Armenians going to marry "odars"? Yes, they are and historically they have, but do I want to increase? No... Why? Because at a certain point we will go extinct. My point is about survival and not racial supremacy.

Edited by Vigil, 31 May 2004 - 04:27 AM.

#12 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Vigil @ Mar 26 2004, 12:52 AM)
I know perfectly well what black culture is about.

It's funny you say this. Here you are accusing Sevuk for not understanding the Armenian culture because he wasn't born Armenian, but you seem to know perfectly well what black culture is about.

What saddens me is that Armenians out of all people don't seem to realize what racism implies. Let's face it, racism is very prominent among Armenians, more so even than among ex-slave-owning Anglo-Saxons. It's not about keeping the race pure (whatever that is); it's about disdaining other races/cultures.

#13 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:armenia

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:33 PM

Vigil,

So you think that the armenians will be extinct from the face of earth?
Will we eventuallly turn black?It is not as if we were all going to run off and marry someone who is african, or black now are we?Well, first of all, I don't see any chance of armenians "turning black".Second of all, we have survived as a nation for thousands of years, what makes you think that we will be extinct?You can't put the blame on one african american for OUR problems( wich is caused by years of opression, genocide and forced assimiltion) Have you been to armenia?Or have you been to Ethiopia. In ethiopia you can see armenians speaking their langauge, and in Armenia you can see africkans, who are mostly ethiopians, speaking perfect armenian! Cultural exchange is inevitable, armenians have always been a carrier of a tradition wich means interacting with people from other nations/ cultures,that is a pride that we have and what makes us armenian (historically and culturally speaking).

Edited by koko, 26 March 2004 - 04:44 AM.

#14 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:01 PM

We will discuss this age old question in a couple years from now, but judging from the sample of the population I am placing my chips on extinction.

And lastly, you were really unjust with Sev-Mart. Sev-Mart has been attacked for no reason at all. This man register on this board, even try to learn Armenian and learn our culture. WHAT ONE CAN ASK MORE??? I just really hope that it is not his color that is the causes here, as I am disgusted with all this racism.

Well said, but that was never my intention and I hope he does not think that I wanted to drive him away. Anyone has a right to learn about Armenia, but we must be carful as to how far we extend the boundries that define a Armenian.

#15 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:08 PM

If our sev_mard wanted to switch to Armenianity, I'd be honored. We could use more like him cool.gif

#16 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Vigil @ Mar 25 2004, 06:52 PM)
How many Armenians are there in the world? About 6 million? How many Africans? like a few hundred million, right? The only reason I am so hard on them is because I do not want us to go extinct, which tragically is happening. We are not like Jewish people and can not convert "odars". Everyday we decrease in number, while other minorities increase in number.

Vigil, I hope you realize this: we cannot convert 'odars' for the pure and simple reason that we don't tolerate any intermarriage. Here is a perfect example: Sev_Mart marries his Hye girlfriend and (god-willing) they have six new ARMENIANS! wink.gif Ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating and they only have three kids. That still makes 4 new Armenians. They'd be schooled in Armenian, raised by an Armenian mother, babysat by Armenian grandparents.... It's a win, win situation.

As long as the children are taught the language, the music, the history, the art, the literature - as long as the spirit of Armenians lives on in their souls - they are Armenian. And they will grow & procreate - creating more Armenians. Let's face it - there's never going to be a day when ALL the diaspora is going to return to our lands, and Diasporan Armenians MUST & WILL adapt to their new host societies. What we can hope/strive for, is to retain important aspects of our culture that make us unique and keep living as diasporan Armenians. If we integrate a few members of other cultures, then all the better.

#17 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:30 PM

It's funny you say this. Here you are accusing Sevuk for not understanding the Armenian culture because he wasn't born Armenian, but you seem to know perfectly well what black culture is about.

Then explain to me what black culture is? What is your definition of black culture? In fact explain to me what black culture is not. Is there black culture in America? Do you consider Hip-Hop as part of black culture? Define the borders for me and maybe I will listen

They'd be schooled in Armenian, raised by an Armenian mother, babysat by Armenian grandparents.... It's a win, win situation.

I am assuming you will finance the venture.

Doesn't it make you wonder as to why we do not think about full blooded Armenains like this as opposed to half breeds? Does it not bug you? There are some full blooded Armenians that do not know anything about Armenia, but yet we are more concerned about how to satisfy the needs of the "oders" as opposed to our own kin.

#18 TheArmenianPirate

TheArmenianPirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:05 AM

Vigil, I hope you realize this: we cannot convert 'odars' for the pure and simple reason that we don't tolerate any intermarriage. Here is a perfect example:Sev_Mart marries his Hye girlfriend and (god-willing) they have six new ARMENIANS!  Ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating and they only have three kids. That still makes 4 new Armenians. They'd be schooled in Armenian, raised by an Armenian mother, babysat by Armenian grandparents.... It's a win, win situation.

As long as the children are taught the language, the music, the history, the art, the literature - as long as the spirit of Armenians lives on in their souls - they are Armenian. And they will grow & procreate - creating more Armenians. Let's face it - there's never going to be a day when ALL the diaspora is going to return to our lands, and Diasporan Armenians MUST & WILL adapt to their new host societies. What we can hope/strive for, is to retain important aspects of our culture that make us unique and keep living as diasporan Armenians. If we integrate a few members of other cultures, then all the better.

I have been following these boards for quite some time now. It's good to monitor some of the consensus of youth in our culture. But I have to admit, after reading this little gem above from "Vava", I was in sheer awe of just how screwed up things have become in certain Armenian circles. I'm not sure what's worse, placing my hope of the preservation of my identity as an Armenian in the hands of folks like Vava, or simply taking a time warp back to 1915 and just putting my head under a Turkish scimitar.

Yes Vava, lets talk about this "cultural preservation" you're refering to and how it's "enough" to simply pass on language and teach kids of mixed marriages Armenian then dubb them as "Hye". So basically by your logic, if I learn everything about feudal Japan, learn to read and write in Japanese, and toss in a bit of its history into my personal knowledge base, I can be Japanese! Wow, I never knew it was that easy to become Japanese or even Armenian for that matter! You're wonderful optimism about this delusion that you're having almost passes it as the reality of our situation, ALMOST but not quite.

First off, being anything, whether it's Armenian, Pakistani, Martian, etc, etc, starts at the genetic level, then branches off into phenotipic features, and lastly encompasses a unique mindset and behavioural values which we call "culture". Being Armenian is ALL of that, not just a fragment such as "hey Joe Blow, you know Armenian and some of our history, thus you're Hye"! I do not care how actively you participate in Armenian culture, or whether someone's Armenian/Odar mix children know the Eibuben inside out and can recite them backwards, or even if you're a Nobel Laureate historian on Hye culture. If the sperm and the egg that made up that child were not from Hye parents, that child is not Hye, he is a mix that knows a lot about one half of his genetic make-up, period.

Armenianism is MORE than just values, historical knowledge, and linguistic "know-how". Armenianism is about a LINEAGE of people that genetically have travelled a 3000+ year journey, during which many have tried to end that genetic lineage permenantly. Armenianism is about Hye's mounting the front lines of the battles in the Crusades, in which the very survival of Christianity depended on. Armenianism is about taking the chance of making Christianity our official religion when no one else would dare to do so. Being Hye is about a cultural AND genetic line of people that predates the humanoid religious form of "God" by nearly 1000 years.

I'm just in sheer shock that this kind of mentality and assinine commentary is coming from someone that is calling himself/herself "Hye" and furthermore on a site that hopes to create the preservation of Armenianism. Sadly most people on this forum use the fact of being "Armenian" as nothing more than a mantle or title, some even have the audacity to just refer to being Hye as a nice punchline to enhance some sort of twisted self-image during intellectual topics about politics and socio-economic strife. I'm willing to bet that you Vava jan, are involved with an odar and you spew out all this garbage of your's in an attempt to feel some sort of justification for either present or past guilt. And if you don't feel guilty for thinking the way you do, I truly pity you. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you are in fact Sev-Mart's significant other! But I digress. Just please do not idealistically fool yourself into thinking that once the genetic line has been cut off via inter-ethnic marriage that you can still be "hye" through charitable actions and cultural knowledge. Once you're done genetically, you're DONE, that's it, you've cut off Armenianism at it's most basic and essential level, which is genetically.

The fact of the matter is this. Anyone that does feel the way Vava does, does so because there exists a very prevalent problem in a good portion of Armenian communities. The Armenian Pirate likes to call this, "The Sexual Repression Factor". This factor is most apparent in our females due to the social pressure of staying "makur". Odds are Sev-Mart's girlfriend is from a very sexually conservative family in which the expectations of her sexual state are unrealistic for any female to endure. Thus the obvious outlet is to have sexual relations with the Odar, and of course Sev-Mart enters the scene, BAM one Hye girl lost due to this social disease. The solution to this problem is not stating "hey it's okay for us to turn our backs to our 3000+ year old genetic lineage and just make sure the mix kids can speak hye and know some hye history". Instead, the Hye youth needs to change the train of thought regarding sexuality so that Hye guys and girls can have sexual relations with each other without worrying about being dubbed as "outcasts" from their Hye community. That ladies and gentlemen is the solution and will also allow us to maintain Armenianism on cultural, historic, AND genetic levels, which is the way any ethnic group can maintain their identity.

Now I'd like to address this issue about Sev-Mart's "input" about how Armenians "should" resolve our cultural issues. Let me do a little bit of a reality check here for all you "intellectuals" that love to jump the gun on these boards with your grandiose globalization ideas and liberal media child views. Before I go on, I don't want anyone here tossing the crutch excuse or accusation of "racist" my way, I probably have more African-American friends than Sev-Mart himself, so let us begin.

I love the idea of an odar learning about Armenians, our history, so on and so forth. What I do not like, in fact, what I despise, is any odar that feels they can do a romantic social waltz into any Armenian related forum, debate, etc, and preach about how certain hye issues should or should not be dealt with or what courses of action are good for us as a people.

Sev-Mart, while his intentions perhaps noble, has absolutely no idea about the critical state of our people's identity. It's easy for him to sit there and talk about why we do not like odars mixing in with us because he has a legion of his own people to fall back on, on the entire continent of Africa. Who do I have as a Hye? 6.XX million of us , that's it. And as Vigil said, EVERY SINGLE LOSS counts for us. Furthermore, to be frank, Sev-Mart can keep to himself when it comes to critical issues of our culture, it does not concern him, it concerns me, the Armenian. The reason being is because if I, as an Armenian and as a white man, went on an African American forum and spoke out about how the 200 years of slavery were justified or commented on some other civil right sensitive topic, I guarantee you this everyone, within 5 posts, my ass would be banned and I would get death threats. And that is why I hate the fact that Sev Mart feels he can just come in with his whines and declarations of "why is it I cannot date and marry a hye girl", to me as an Armenian , this is MY sensitive topic just like slavery and civil rights is his for him. Mixed marriages kill MY identity the way slavery was cultural death for his identity and basic human rights.

Vigil is right, the kids of any mixed marriage will gradually dwindle in identity until there really is no definitive identity left several generations later in that family. So stop this nonsense about why mixed marriages are "win/win" situations , they are not, at best they are a loss, nothing more.

I sit here right now, in disbelief about how jaded most of you are and how quick you buy into this idea of the "cultural" melting pot. In the 1970s there were Hyes in Beirut that literally had to defend their identity with guns and here most of you are in the U.S. willing to say "hey it's okay to inter-marry as long as we just teach our kids the Eibuben, some hye history, etc". Some of you don't even know the Eibuben, how are you going to teach your mixed children the Eibuben? If you're willing to give up your genetic lineage on the drop of a dime the way Vava is preaching on, how the hell do you propose to even care about the cultural aspect of it all?!

Another crutch excuse is of course what was said earlier with "why would you show-effort/die for a country you gain no benefit from in any form" in reference to Armenia. For the genius that made this comment, you're hye aren't you? Your whole mindset is collectively that very same "benefit" you are arrogant enough to assume is non-existent. And how dare ANY of us say such things in the first place when men like Monte Melkonian that were BORN AND RAISED in the U.S. , with a college degree from a top rated U.S. university along with a full ride to Oxford decided to give it all up and die for his country. Most of you folks on this board are immigrants that should at the very least have more of a spirit behind your Armenianism, but there was Monte, a kid that never set foot outside of the United States and was as "american" as apple pie but decided to fly to the shithole of the world in the middle east to fight for his people. How dare any of you come on these boards and say things like "lets intermarry, it's okay", or "why should I show effort", or any other ridiculous cowardly notion. Those ideas are all easy fixes for folks that like to call themselves "intellectuals" and all they do is act as analysts on boards such as this one. God forbid any real sort of effort is required of them, they would soon intermarry and stay jaded rather than show some effort in changing social stigmas such as sexual repression in our culture by HELPING EACH OTHER and keeping our lineage strong.

I'd like to close by saying that some folks here need to really look within themselves and realize how wonderful it is to be Armenian. Yes it can be difficult due to some of the social vises that exist, especially for our wonderful, intelligent, and beautiful hye women. But we are the youth, and we are the future, and the future is our's to shape. The blood that runs in our vains is ancient and on the world stage carries seniority in nearly every aspect. Perhaps this is the very notion Monte Melkonian realized and decided to give up his whole life to help preserve us as a people. You think one man cannot make a difference? Ask the battalion of troops that would die for him, or better yet, ask the governments that feared him, and look at the lands near Karabagh that he returned to their rightful owners, us Armenians. That was all one man's effort, a kid from Fresno California that had never been outside of U.S. soil. To preserve Armenianism, it must be done culturally AND gentically via the continuation of the Hye lineage. Think about Monte and these notions then look at yourself in the mirror and still say "it's okay to inter-marry" , "it's not worth that much effort", or "I wouldn't fight for a country that doesn't give me benefits".

-The Armenian Pirate

Edited by TheArmenianPirate, 26 March 2004 - 03:08 AM.

#19 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:46 AM

I must say I agree with ArmenianPirate. He says it a bit better than Vigil.

#20 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:26 AM

I agree with TheArmenianPirate. We need more individual thinkers like him rather then intellectuals off a assembly line and I agree with everything said by him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users