#61 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

"I had not set foot beyond our garden wall in six months and was not prepared for what I saw. The street was deserted as far as the eye could see, and there was a silence I had never heard before on any street. Through open windows and half-open doors there was no sign of life, only gates waiting to be closed, walkways waiting to be swept."

This are sentences by Adam, his explanations sure confuses me a lot!!!

#62 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

To resound what Nairi said above in reference to Armenian books and why we should not neglect rather read them since we are Armenians and a good many of our books are indeed treasures to read them. Not only I'm in agreement with her statement, but I'd like to mention below more Armenian books that I have read and enjoyed readig them and I highly recommend it.

"Zhoghovadsu Yergeri" by Avedis Aharonian

"Espitak Tsiavore" by Hamastegh

"Arti Hay Kraganoutyun" by Mushegh Ishxan

"Amenoun Darekirke" by Garo Kevorkian

#63 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Here are more books that I recommend. In English and in Armenian.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

"Հայ Կնոջ Դերը Հայ Յեղափոխական Շարժման մէջ", Սոնա Զեյթլեան

"Մուսա Լերան Ժողովրդական Հեքիաթներ", Սոնա Զեյթլեան

"Բոլշեւիզմը Եւ Դաշնակցութիւնը, Վահան Նավասարդեան

Edited by Takoush, 05 February 2008 - 03:58 PM.

#64 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

The Burning Tigris and Black Dog of Fate - Peter Balakian

Thank you 24avril1915, reminded me of these books!!!

#65 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:31 AM

THE ARMENIAD.
VISIBLE PAGES OF HISTORY

by Boris Baratov

Description
This richly illustrated volume (600 color illustrations) offers a panorama of the civilization of ancient Armenia. The literary portion of ‘The Armeniad’ is based on the works of Armenian historians and on the latest research of a number of European scholars. It tells of the principal stages in the formation of the Armenian identity and the Armenian civilization in the mountainous basin of Lake Van, and in the Ararat and Mush Valleys from the 4th—3rd millennia onwards.

The reader will be able to obtain an impression of a civilization which has traveled in parallel with the great cultures of Sumer, Assyria, the Hittite kingdom, Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome and Byzantium. In leafing through the pages of this book, the reader will learn of important 19th- and 20th-century archaeological research into Asia Minor, which uncovered the ‘visible pages’ of the ancient past to an astounded world. It is in examining the past that our contemporary world is able to gain a glimpse into its future.

Reviews
'The Armeniad' Makes History Visible, Beautiful
"The Armeniad is truly unique. The reader will see the ruins of the ancient Armenian capital of Tigranakert, the maritime fortresses and the mountain castles of Cilician Armenia, the panorama of the city of Van in 1916, compared with how it looks today and much more..." -- The Armenian Weekly, June 24, 2006

"It is one of the best books ever published about the Armenians." -- Berj Dersahakian, Berjbookstore, Glendale, CA

“The Armeniad” (Linguist Publishers, Moscow. 2005) is sumptuous in both content and form and is in many ways a unique volume. Its subheading - “Visible pages of history” – gives a hint of the scope of the author’s incredible work, which in its size and depth would do credit to the research team of a whole university…

"The majesty of the form, the encyclopaedic nature of the content, the mastery of the photography and the exquisite taste combined in Boris Baratov’s unprecedented work show his unbiased devotion and respect for the Armenian people and their culture." -- Voice of Armenia” newspaper, 5th September, 2006

“The Armeniad”, an exquisite volume, which recounts the history of Armenian civilization, is a unique gift for the 15th Anniversary of Armenian independence." -- Republic of Armenia” newspaper, 15th September, 2006

#66 ALMA

ALMA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Feb 25 2008, 09:31 AM)
THE ARMENIAD.
VISIBLE PAGES OF HISTORY

by Boris Baratov

Description
This richly illustrated volume (600 color illustrations) offers a panorama of the civilization of ancient Armenia. The literary portion of ‘The Armeniad’ is based on the works of Armenian historians and on the latest research of a number of European scholars. It tells of the principal stages in the formation of the Armenian identity and the Armenian civilization in the mountainous basin of Lake Van, and in the Ararat and Mush Valleys from the 4th—3rd millennia onwards.

The reader will be able to obtain an impression of a civilization which has traveled in parallel with the great cultures of Sumer, Assyria, the Hittite kingdom, Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome and Byzantium. In leafing through the pages of this book, the reader will learn of important 19th- and 20th-century archaeological research into Asia Minor, which uncovered the ‘visible pages’ of the ancient past to an astounded world. It is in examining the past that our contemporary world is able to gain a glimpse into its future.

Reviews
'The Armeniad' Makes History Visible, Beautiful
"The Armeniad is truly unique. The reader will see the ruins of the ancient Armenian capital of Tigranakert, the maritime fortresses and the mountain castles of Cilician Armenia, the panorama of the city of Van in 1916, compared with how it looks today and much more..." -- The Armenian Weekly, June 24, 2006

"It is one of the best books ever published about the Armenians." -- Berj Dersahakian, Berjbookstore, Glendale, CA

“The Armeniad” (Linguist Publishers, Moscow. 2005) is sumptuous in both content and form and is in many ways a unique volume. Its subheading - “Visible pages of history” – gives a hint of the scope of the author’s incredible work, which in its size and depth would do credit to the research team of a whole university…

"The majesty of the form, the encyclopaedic nature of the content, the mastery of the photography and the exquisite taste combined in Boris Baratov’s unprecedented work show his unbiased devotion and respect for the Armenian people and their culture." -- Voice of Armenia” newspaper, 5th September, 2006

“The Armeniad”, an exquisite volume, which recounts the history of Armenian civilization, is a unique gift for the 15th Anniversary of Armenian independence." -- Republic of Armenia” newspaper, 15th September, 2006

Wow $170 I wonder how much does it cost in Armenia.

I just remembered another good book.
" To Kill a MockingBird" by Harper Lee. Interesting story about racism.

#67 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

"Hashvetu em" Rafael Ghazaryan...

#68 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

Books I recently read and strongly recommend -

The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak (the first book I've read written by a Turk, reflecting on the Armenian Genocide)

The Joke by Milan Kundera

#69 LK82

LK82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

Crime and Punishment - F. Dostoyevski
Brothers Karamazov - F. Dostoyevski
Art of War - Sun Tzu (only if youre into this genre of books)
Captain Blood - Raphael Sabatini (I read this in High-School)

#70 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

Xachagoghi Hishatakaran - Raffi

War and Peace - Tolstoy

#71 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (LK82 @ Apr 6 2008, 10:50 PM)
Crime and Punishment - F. Dostoyevski

I want to read this book. how is it?

Edited by Zara, 07 April 2008 - 12:25 PM.

#72 LK82

LK82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Zara @ Apr 7 2008, 11:25 AM)
I want to read this book. how is it?

It gets deep into the mind of the character. And how he becomes a killer, and how he deals with himself after. The plot is very thick, there are several important characters and many things going on at one time.

It does have many sad moments and overall it is a sad story. alot of depression, anxiety and guilt is expressed in the characters.

Its a great book, If you have the time you should definetely read it.

Make sure you get the right version of it, Dostoyevksi wrote all his books in Russian, there are some translations in English that dont do justice to his original work.
I dont have the book by me, when I do Ill post which one I read.

#73 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Zara jan - you will love it trust me!!!

#74 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (LK82 @ Apr 7 2008, 12:31 PM)
It gets deep into the mind of the character. And how he becomes a killer, and how he deals with himself after. The plot is very thick, there are several important characters and many things going on at one time.

It does have many sad moments and overall it is a sad story. alot of depression, anxiety and guilt is expressed in the characters.

Its a great book, If you have the time you should definetely read it.

Make sure you get the right version of it, Dostoyevksi wrote all his books in Russian, there are some translations in English that dont do justice to his original work.
I dont have the book by me, when I do Ill post which one I read.

Cool. Thanks.

#75 ALMA

ALMA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Aratta-Kingdom @ Apr 7 2008, 06:56 AM)
Xachagoghi Hishatakaran - Raffi

War and Peace - Tolstoy

Xachagoghi Hishatakaran is really good, I've just received Zartonq, 3 books, I've heard it's good as well.

#76 ALMA

ALMA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Mar 2 2008, 11:30 PM)
Books I recently read and strongly recommend -

The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak (the first book I've read written by a Turk, reflecting on the Armenian Genocide)

The Joke by Milan Kundera

Snow by Orhan Pamuk is also interesting, it talks a lot about Armenians from Erzrum.

#77 LK82

LK82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

BeoWulf. I havnt seen the movie yet but the book was short and fun to read.

#78 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

Raffi - Samuel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users