• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

Arpa,he studied in the places below.And most of the new chruch leaders have a great education,like our Arch-bishop Hovnan Derderian studied at Yale.

Catholicos Karekin II (Armenian: Գարեգին Բ also Garegin) is the current head of the Holy Armenian Apostolic Church.

His Holiness Karekin II, Catholicos and Supreme Patriarch of All ArmeniansHe was born as Krtich Nersessian in Voskehat, Armenia on August 21, 1951. He entered the seminary in 1965 and graduated with honors in 1971. Before that he became a deacon in 1970. Later he became a monk and was ordained priest in 1972. In the late 1970s the Catholicos of that period encouraged him to study outside of Armenia. This led to him continuing his studies in Vienna, Bonn University, and Zagorsk, Russia. After 1979 he became significant to the people of Armenia and on October 23, 1983 was consecrated bishop at Echmiadzin. He became an archbishop in 1992.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Karekin_II

#22 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

Aram I was the Moderator of the WCC for two terms - a total of 14 years - from what I remember. His term ended in 2005 or 2006.

I and about six or seven others sat with him for dinner at the Detroit Youth Conference on Dec 2. He actually was a very engaging speaker and he answered all of our questions. A national church vs. a nationalistic church, unity, good vs. evil, light and darkness, the language of the liturgy - all were great topics that were brought up. He gave thorough answers in impecable English.

#23 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:44 AM

Well if he's that great maybe they should put him in Echmiadzin like they did with Karekin I. tongue.gif

#24 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Dec 27 2006, 01:44 AM)  
Well if he's that great maybe they should put him in Echmiadzin like they did with Karekin I. tongue.gif

That will never happen. Karekin II and Aram I are both around the same age. It's highly unlike that (1) Karekin II will die young and (2) Aram I will jump from Antelias to Etchmiadzin. The only reason Karekin Sarkissian won in 1995 was because Levon Ter-Petrosyan lobbied heavily on his behalf. Before the final round of voting, the current Catholicos, Karekin Nercissian, was ahead in the vote count.

The next election will be for Patriarch in Jerusalem. Torkom Manoogian is going to be 88 in February and is not in good health. I would bet that Archbishop Noorhan Manoogian becomes the next Patriarch in Jerusalem.

#25 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

Archbishop Torkom Manoogian is very much loved here on the West Coast,especially by the thousands of kids and now adults who attended and still attend the church camp that he bought in the 1960's I think.Which is many years before I was born.I hope his replacement in the coming years will be as good as Arch-Bishop as he is.

http://www.hyecamp.com/

#26 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE(Sako***** @ Dec 27 2006, 05:19 PM)  
Archbishop Torkom Manoogian is very much loved here on the West Coast,especially by the thousands of kids and now adults who attended and still attend the church camp that he bought in the 1960's I think.Which is many years before I was born.I hope his replacement in the coming years will be as good as Arch-Bishop as he is.

http://www.hyecamp.com/

I think he served for one term as Primate for the Western Diocese in the 1960s. He then served for 6 terms between 1966 and 1990 in the Eastern Diocese. He did a pretty good job. There are some who loved him and others who couldn't stand him. Then of course came the questionable land deals made in Israel several years back...

#27 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Dec 27 2006, 06:44 AM)  

LTP was/is a romantic.
Aren’t we all!
His naďve hope was that by reinstating the Yeraguyn, the Mer Hayreniq and moving the Catholicos of Kilikia to Ejmiatsin would put an end to all that schism.
Did I say “he is /was a romantic?
How much “Armenian history” does he really know?
Had he studied the “history” of those Dashnaks/K**n*ks whatever the hell they may be?
Do they really have the welfare of the nation at heart, or shall we wait for the day when once again Kilikia is liberated and Sis becomes the Capital of “Armenia”?
Is there a law against dreaming?
Does anyone here know that dashnaktutsyun is neither a religion nor it is a denomination? And that their emblem is not the sign of the cross, and that the Church is not a factional club?
Don’t go by me. What do I know? When it comes to religion and politics I am but a babbling idiot.
But, before you come to my denominational and factional philosophy CLEAN YOUR OWN HOUSE FIRST!
Tell us which is the real Apostolic and which the “impostolic”. Only then, maybe we can talk about who and what a Christian Apostolic, Dashnak, Hnchak and a Ramkavar is.
In the words of that great philosopher Rodney King; “Can we all get together”?
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Rodney_King

#28 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

Arpa,one day we will all be together.

#29 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:52 PM

Karakash, I had completely forgotten about Petrosian's lobbying for Karekin I. Oops.

Anyway, the benefit of my father belonging to the Western Prelacy (Antelias) but knowing friends - one being a priest from the Western Diocese (Echmiadzin): Two nifty calendars for 2007! I just got the Diocese one in the mail today! Both are very nice, by the way. thumbup.gif

Arpa, you'll be glad to know that in his message in the oratsuyts, Aram I has declared 2007 to be the year of the Armenian language, not swine. smile.gif

P.S.: Did I just use the word "nifty"? wink.gif

Edited by Armenak, 28 December 2006 - 05:53 PM.

#30 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 28 2006, 06:42 AM)  
How much “Armenian history” does he really know?/url]

I once stumbled across a very well written treatise of his (Petrosian) at the Matenadaran website about the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia. Very impressive. Judging by his research on that, he must know quite a bit about Armenian history.

Wow! What do you know? The Matenadaran website is back. It had been down for quite a while.

#31 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

It wasn't just on Cilicia after all:
http://www.matenadar...ge/translation/

#32 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Dec 28 2006, 06:52 PM)  
Karakash, I had completely forgotten about Petrosian's lobbying for Karekin I. Oops.

Anyway, the benefit of my father belonging to the Western Prelacy (Antelias) but knowing friends - one being a priest from the Western Diocese (Echmiadzin): Two nifty calendars for 2007! I just got the Diocese one in the mail today! Both are very nice, by the way. thumbup.gif

Arpa, you'll be glad to know that in his message in the oratsuyts, Aram I has declared 2007 to be the year of the Armenian language, not swine. smile.gif

P.S.: Did I just use the word "nifty"? wink.gif

Why do I get the impression that your Prelate in LA is a player... ha He doesn't seem to carry himself well like other Primates-Prelates. I have talked to him a few times and he knows several of our friends and relatives who live in LA and Orange County.

The Western Diocese always does a nice job with their calendar. I don't know how we got on their mailing list, but being in NJ, we get a calendar from them every year. The Eastern Prelacy does a pocket calendar which has Khirimian Hayrig on its cover this year along with a message they they will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of their affiliation with the Great House of Cilicia in 1958. Someone, I think it was Michael Haroutunian, wrote an editorial about that and it was published in the Armenian Reporter a few weeks ago - about why there should be a celebration relating to the schism in the church...

#33 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(karakash @ Dec 29 2006, 05:52 PM)  
The Eastern Prelacy does a pocket calendar which has Khirimian Hayrig on its cover this year along with a message they they will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of their affiliation with the Great House of Cilicia in 1958. Someone, I think it was Michael Haroutunian, wrote an editorial about that and it was published in the Armenian Reporter a few weeks ago - about why there should be a celebration relating to the schism in the church...

Tha so called Pocket Calendar. What an insult to one's intelligence!
For some mysterious reason I also receive mailings and solicitations from both sees. As I am not actively affiliated with either, and neither am I actively affiliated with any church, it may be that they have my name and address from moons ago when I may have somehow responded to one of their solicitations.
Yes, I have received the calendars from the Diocese and I have saved every one of them as each and every one of them may have had valuable art and historic graphics.
I have found the Prelacy pocket calendar somewhat useful at times when I needed to know the dates of certain coming holidays, such as Vardanants. Once again , DAMN IT!! WHY THE HELL IS VARDANANTS A FLOATING HOLIDAY!!!?? I know. I know. It is based on the Passover whatever the f***** hell that may be.
I may have saved just one of their pocket calendars for reasons known to me. But this year’s calendar is so useless when Khrimian Hayrik is featured on the cover with not even a word about him in the text. Of course, we/I know who and what Khrimian Hayrik is, yet how many here know enough about Him?
The most disappointing of it is that, it seems the editors of the calendar know beans about the Armenian language when they feature the “anthem” ԿԻԼԻԿԻԱ and translate it as GILIGIA. Have they not heard that the Greek CILICIA transliterates as ԳԻԼԻԳԻԱ and the Armenian ԿԻԼԻԿԻԱ transliterates as KILLIKIA?** Let them wallow in their blissful ignorance that Kilikia is 2000 miles away fromYerevan and if any one will some day recapture it, it will be the Syrians, not Armenians.
Speaking of transliteration, every one of their calendars has featured a list of so called Armenians names, male and female respectively. No etymology, not even a hint of origin. As to transliteration. Where did these editors learn their Armenian? At the Armenian University of Istanbul? As an example. What kind of idiot would transliterate ԱԲԳԱՐ as APKAR. Should it not be ABGAR? They pride themselves with such luminaries as Lousahogi Abp. Mesrop, I will not print His Turkish surname that means “Apourian”, yet they insult the memory of Mesrop Mashtots, ignoring His years of blood sweat and tears designing an Ayb-Ben-Gim to only the likes of us and those editors, insult His memory by interpreting his masterpiece as AyP-Pen-Qim
We need a new iconoclast//patkeramart LOUSAVORICH to break and incinerate all those rottenly false icons and give us a new ENLIGHTENMENT.

*Do they know that Ayb=Alpha, Ben=Beta and Gim=Gamma, and as a bonus, Da=Delta. I have a story about the latter letter that you will soon see.

Edited by Arpa, 29 December 2006 - 02:17 PM.

#34 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Arpa, Are you trying to say that my Western Armenian Prounounciations are incorrect.Even though you can read and write and I still have 1 to 3 Years to learn I will not stand for this! msn-cry.gif I would like an explanation,even though I have had many arguements about this,I would like to hear you opinion about this.You seem to have your stuff pretty much down and correct 99% of the time but about this, I will not let this go! smile.gif

Edited by SakoPasha, 29 December 2006 - 05:52 PM.

#35 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 29 2006, 03:16 PM)  
Tha so called Pocket Calendar. What an insult to one's intelligence!
For some mysterious reason I also receive mailings and solicitations from both sees. As I am not actively affiliated with either, and neither am I actively affiliated with any church, it may be that they have my name and address from moons ago when I may have somehow responded to one of their solicitations.
Yes, I have received the calendars from the Diocese and I have saved every one of them as each and every one of them may have had valuable art and historic graphics.
I have found the Prelacy pocket calendar somewhat useful at times when I needed to know the dates of certain coming holidays, such as Vardanants. Once again , DAMN IT!! WHY THE HELL IS VARDANANTS A FLOATING HOLIDAY!!!?? I know. I know. It is based on the Passover whatever the f***** hell that may be.
I may have saved just one of their pocket calendars for reasons known to me. But this year’s calendar is so useless when Khrimian Hayrik is featured on the cover with not even a word about him in the text. Of course, we/I know who and what Khrimian Hayrik is, yet how many here know enough about Him?
The most disappointing of it is that, it seems the editors of the calendar know beans about the Armenian language when they feature the “anthem” ԿԻԼԻԿԻԱ and translate it as GILIGIA. Have they not heard that the Greek CILICIA transliterates as ԳԻԼԻԳԻԱ and the Armenian ԿԻԼԻԿԻԱ transliterates as KILLIKIA?** Let them wallow in their blissful ignorance that Kilikia is 2000 miles away fromYerevan and if any one will some day recapture it, it will be the Syrians, not Armenians.
Speaking of transliteration, every one of their calendars has featured a list of so called Armenians names, male and female respectively. No etymology, not even a hint of origin. As to transliteration. Where did these editors learn their Armenian? At the Armenian University of Istanbul? As an example. What kind of idiot would transliterate ԱԲԳԱՐ as APKAR. Should it not be ABGAR? They pride themselves with such luminaries as Lousahogi Abp. Mesrop, I will not print His Turkish surname that means “Apourian”, yet they insult the memory of Mesrop Mashtots, ignoring His years of blood sweat and tears designing an Ayb-Ben-Gim to only the likes of us and those editors, insult His memory by interpreting his masterpiece as AyP-Pen-Qim
We need a new iconoclast//patkeramart LOUSAVORICH to break and incinerate all those rottenly false icons and give us a new ENLIGHTENMENT.

*Do they know that Ayb=Alpha, Ben=Beta and Gim=Gamma, and as a bonus, Da=Delta. I have a story about the latter letter that you will soon see.

Your posts are always full of passion and pleasure to read. So do you say Gomidas or Komitas? Karekin or Garekin? Everyone outside of Armenia writes it as Karekin.

#36 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(karakash @ Dec 30 2006, 07:30 AM)  
Everyone outside of Armenia writes it as Karekin.

Georgia (Javakhk), India, Iran, Russia, Ukraine...

#37 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

We all write it this way; we just pronounce it differently. ----> Գարեգին

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users