#21 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:06 AM

About megapixels, for my type of use Armat is right, 95% of the time I am going to waste the extra pixels and 3.2 mp would be just fine. But I am thinking once in a blue moon I may want to print out a large picture and don't want to regret. So I am thinking I need to have at least 4mp. And Azat, good point about zooming, I didn't think about that.

#22 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:23 AM

I bought a canon G1 almost 2 years ago. I'm still ecstatic. If you want sheer usablity & great picture quality, the Canon's are the way to go. Dan, I disagree that name brands are overated. In photography, optics is everything, and buying a cheaper discount camera opens you up to all sorts of photo quality problems. (ie. spherical abberations, distortions etc...) I prefer the Canon's to the Nikons simply because of the menu system, and rapid access to the features. The Nikons seems to require more manipulation, especially for access to more advanced features, like spot metering, white balance, flash compensation etc.

Also keep in mind that some of the less expensive cameras automatically compress to jpg format, (essentially reducing picture quality) Make sure your camera can export pictures RAW or TIFF with no compression to take full advantage of your 4 or 5 Mp...

My next digicam is going to be an SLR model so I can use my existing lenses. Canon has already released the Digital Rebel w/6.3 Mp. unsing nterchangeable Canon Eos lenses. Right now it's under 1400$ CAD. I'll wait a little while 'till the price comes down... smile.gif

#23 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:38 AM

Sasun - seeing your stated requirements I would have to say you should not overlook some of the Olympus models. They consistently score high in comparative tests (particularly in regard to picture quality) and tend to be priced better then many of the other brands (Canons and Nikons are great - but pricy...same with Sony's - plus they all have there quirks)...and don't ever by a camera without checking it out first - make sure it fits you right, and that ther logic of its finctions apeal to you (and can be understood by you etc).

Again - don't not check out the Olympus Cameras. I picked up a 3.2 megapixel D-560 (for $230...and at Best Buy ...probably cheaper from some New York electronics house...) that takes awesome pics..and it uses the very latest/very compact xDmedia (also you may want to consider rhe media...eventual obselecence...upgrade paths etc...)

Edited by THOTH, 29 December 2003 - 11:39 AM.

#24 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 12:50 PM

Sasun here are some links for various reviews and buying help etc

http://www.bizrate.c...f=fwa&url_id=20

The Olympus BTW:
http://www.bizrate.c...d--6674970.html

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/

http://www.pcmag.com...310KTX2B0000331

http://www.digital-camera-review.net/

http://www.dpreview.com/

#25 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:04 PM

Vava good point about the format. But do you think one could print out from an uncompressed format on any printer?
Thoth I am also considering Olympus stylus 400 and Sony DSC-P10. This second one has continues video recording which is very cool but not many buyers are content with the picture quality.

Speaking of Sony I hate their software. Looks like the same software comes with all their video and photo products. It is not user friendly and there is not much functionality.

#26 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:08 PM

Interesting comparo -

Cannon S400 (as recommended by Sip) and Olympus D-560 (as recommend by THOTH)

(also note that a 4 MP veriosn of the 560 (not sure of the number) - retails about $50 more....

#27 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:12 PM

Sasun - i don't know - i take video with a video camcorder - not my camera...but i guess ti depends what your looking for - never used my camera for vid (can only do 15 sec anyway)...though my eldset kid is always houding em to do vid..I don't want to take up the space on the memory card...

Also - my camcorder does take pretty decent pics - it has aphoto mode (progressive scan) and uses 3 CCDs - so color accuracy is better then most any digital camera (under a few grand)...though resolution ain't so great...good for 4x6s though...and for viewing pics on the comp or on the TV etc

#28 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:14 PM

Oh and Sip - I do agree the Canon is a great camera - my wife has had use of one through her work and I "tested" it quite extensively - and did prefer it to the Olympus....but not for $200 more! and the Olympus just seems more compact to me...not sure if it is though...

#29 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:22 PM

Generally camcorders don't take good photos. I tried sony trv33, it took very grainy pics and colors were bad. Higher end camcorders might take decent photos but i get the impression everyone recommends to buy a still camera for still pictures.
As to video feature on a still camera, of course the quality is nothing to compare to a video camera but it is really cool to have a pocket size camera that can also take an hour long video with sound.

#30 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:36 PM

Well generaly correct - but my camcorder is a semi-pro model that has photo capability built in (and there are a few out there like this now). You would really be very hard pressed to know its not from a digicamera - and I've even blown pics up to 8x10 that are still decent. But yeah - in general most camcorders not made for stills - agreed...and vice versa...

Edited by THOTH, 29 December 2003 - 01:37 PM.

#31 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:52 AM

After spending some more time I ordered the Canon S400 (from the same place where Sip has bought smile.gif turns out it was the cheapest of the stores I was looking).
I also ordered 256mb flash card and hope it was the right one.

#32 spectra

spectra

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Banned

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Dec 31 2003, 12:52 AM)
After spending some more time I ordered the Canon S400 (from the same place where Sip has bought smile.gif turns out it was the cheapest of the stores I was looking).
I also ordered 256mb flash card and hope it was the right one.

You should've checked the FlashCard speed, is it 8x 16x or higher? 16x is probably the suiting speed for home use.

#33 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:23 AM

Oh geeez I meant to tell you about the flash cards but I forgot. If you can, try to get Sandisk ULTRA II (assuming they haven't shipped your order yet). I got 512 MB (from buy.com) but 256 will be more than enough. Unless you plan to carry more than 2 batteries biggrin.gif

This ULTRA II design is fantastic. I used to have LEXAR 12x 256MB card but the Ultra II is much faster. It is rated at about 9MB/sec for write and 10MB/sec for read ... it really makes a HUGE difference when using the camera.

Oh Sasun, I also recommend the slim canon leater case for that camera. Get the real canon one as it fits great smile.gif

#34 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:26 AM

For additional batteries, check ebay ... they have 1000mAh (non OEM) ones for about $6 !!!!!! I haven't bought one yet but I will soon.

By the way, the 12x lexars CF cards will do about 1.8MB/sec write ... Sasun, if you got the kingston from isquaredinc, that one is probably slower than that ... maybe around 1MB/sec.

#35 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:06 PM

Yes guys, good idea about the speed. I had ordered the kingston because it was cheap, later I checked circuit city had cheaper SanDisk one http://www.circuitci...ark_0&oid=80869 so I sent them email to cancel. I will research before buying.
Sip I will see, probably one battery will be enough for me in the beginning. But $6 is very cheap for the battery smile.gif

#36 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:56 PM

Sasun, you want the ULTRA II sandisk ... not the regular. Check buy.com ... they have free shipping (but may be just for US)

#37 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:14 PM

Yes Sip you are right. I am going to buy that one, I didn't think it was that cheap for that speed smile.gif

#38 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:20 PM

post deleted....

Edited by Accelerated, 11 January 2004 - 05:33 PM.

#39 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:17 PM

Hey guys Im also in the market for a camera. My mate has a Sony DSC-P8 and I really like. Im looking for something compact and around the same price: the Cannons discussed are a little too expensive mad.gif ....any suggestions? or should I just go with the Sony

Edited by Accelerated, 11 January 2004 - 06:17 PM.

#40 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:17 PM

You know, In Holland I bought a digital camera with 5000000 pix for 120 euro +- 150 USD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users