23 replies to this topic

#1 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

My laptop is under warranty but I am sure they'll claim there is nothing wrong.

The problem is that after some heavy softwares, the laptop shot down. I know it is heat because the back becomes verry hot just before the shutdown. I wanted to see if I could add anything to cool it so I opened the back on the area which becomes very hot, I was sure it was the processor, but it isn't. The professor is not there and I located the processor and that area does not heat that much. So I located that the thing is most probably the cheapset. The problem occurs when the processor works at its full spead. It is a SIS cheapset and it does not have an active cooling system just a small aluminium heatsink. I left the back open and placed a cube of ice in a plastic bag, no shutdown anymore. I am sure that the culprid is heat. It does the same thing either on Linux or Windows XP. So it is not system dependent. It does it after that that area is so hot that I could nearly burn myself. Just there there is Windows XP CD Key with a trasnparent plastic sticker, the plastic sticker shows evidences of melting around the corners no kidding.

What do I do? Do I change the heatsink and scrap the warranty? I am sure that if I send it, they'll tell me nothing is wrong.

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

What brand is it? Sounds like the chipset is definitely on it's way out (maybe there is a short in it that causes it to overheat and shut down). I would not try the ice cube again as condensation might short out some connections ...

First thing I would do is back everything up. Since it is under warranty, I would talk to their tech support (yes it is painful but at least you can then say you tried to contact them before it failed and they said it's ok to use it like that) .. this might be a common problem. If they say it's normal, then just keep runnig the PC until it dies then send it back smile.gif I would not normally recommend intentionally damaging a PC, but it is obviously some fault of the chip if it gets that hot (software error should not cause that).

Be careful of fires though .. are you sure this is not the recent "battery fire" problem? Is the area away from the battery?

By the way, on my sony, the windows thing also tends to melt. I think they do that on purpose.

Edited by Sip, 12 June 2007 - 03:14 PM.

#3 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

Sip I thinking of getting this, very atractive fitures, any advice?

http://www.jr.com/JR...ng RAM included

#4 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jun 12 2007, 05:12 PM) View Post
What brand is it? Sounds like the chipset is definitely on it's way out (maybe there is a short in it that causes it to overheat and shut down). I would not try the ice cube again as condensation might short out some connections ...

First thing I would do is back everything up. Since it is under warranty, I would talk to their tech support (yes it is painful but at least you can then say you tried to contact them before it failed and they said it's ok to use it like that) .. this might be a common problem. If they say it's normal, then just keep runnig the PC until it dies then send it back smile.gif I would not normally recommend intentionally damaging a PC, but it is obviously some fault of the chip if it gets that hot (software error should not cause that).

Be careful of fires though .. are you sure this is not the recent "battery fire" problem? Is the area away from the battery?

By the way, on my sony, the windows thing also tends to melt. I think they do that on purpose.

It is an Acer, about the condensation, I should not have done that but at this point I don't care if something happen with it it would be easier to replace if the whole thing just stop working. It is not a battery problem, as the battery is far from it. Besides I too at first though that battery heat could make things worst and removed it, no differences, the same heating and the same shutdown.

About the short in the shipset, could it really happen this soon? This laptop isen't still a year old.

#5 Error 404

Error 404

ERROR 404

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

I have seen laptops getting overheated to the point that they are about to melt but it keeps functioning despite the high temperature. You can't really say when it may finally die. It may work in that condition for years.

What I would suggest you to do is to open the chasis(only if you are sure you can handle it because there are too many different screws and the design is sometimes very inconvinient to take apart) and try to clean the air flow ways. They could be stuck with dust or something. Another reason for the heat could be bad or malfunctioning sensor or fan on the chasis or CPU. Some of the laptops are designed so that one fan will cool off the CPU and it is also a chasis fan. Or if there is no dust or anything else then like Sip said the chipset or the processor may cause the issue where you can't really do much. Actually you can replace the motherboard but I am sure you won't get that far.

Make sure the rubber legs are there or try to get something between your laptop and the surface you are putting on. That way you can provide more air flow for the bottom of your laptop.

take care.

P.S. Next time DO NOT BUY an acer. It SUX. Get Apple or Toshiba or maybe dell. HP is not bad too.

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(Error 404 @ Jun 20 2007, 06:24 PM) View Post
Get Apple ...

#7 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:05 AM

For Domino: laptop cooler

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(Edward @ Jun 12 2007, 04:22 PM)
Sip I thinking of getting this, very atractive fitures, any advice?

http://www.jr.com/JR...ng RAM included

Sorry if this reply is late but you just can't go wrong with Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. Other than that, I don't know if those prices are good or not but I'm sure you can figure out with a bit of comparison shopping. I personally like Toshibas but other than their el-cheapo brands (I got one for my dad which has held up great), I don't have any other experiences with them.

#9 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

special just for today
http://www.woot.com/

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Error. BTW the heat is not from the processor, it is from the chipset which probably contain the videocard as all and they have no fan on it. I don't do any heavy stuff on it anymore.

QUOTE(Error 404 @ Jun 20 2007, 07:24 PM)
I have seen laptops getting overheated to the point that they are about to melt but it keeps functioning despite the high temperature. You can't really say when it may finally die. It may work in that condition for years.

What I would suggest you to do is to open the chasis(only if you are sure you can handle it because there are too many different screws and the design is sometimes very inconvinient to take apart) and try to clean the air flow ways. They could be stuck with dust or something. Another reason for the heat could be bad or malfunctioning sensor or fan on the chasis or CPU. Some of the laptops are designed so that one fan will cool off the CPU and it is also a chasis fan. Or if there is no dust or anything else then like Sip said the chipset or the processor may cause the issue where you can't really do much. Actually you can replace the motherboard but I am sure you won't get that far.

Make sure the rubber legs are there or try to get something between your laptop and the surface you are putting on. That way you can provide more air flow for the bottom of your laptop.

take care.

P.S. Next time DO NOT BUY an acer. It SUX. Get Apple or Toshiba or maybe dell. HP is not bad too.

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

Domino, be careful please ... story ohmy.gif

#12 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Yeh I know, I usually place it not on me. smile.gif Even if I would want, that thing is damn hot.

#13 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Error 404 @ Jun 20 2007, 06:24 PM)
HP is not bad too.

I have an HP nc630. It's VERY bad in terms of overheating. It seems to be coming from the video card and the memory.

#14 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

my commodor 64 never heats up

#15 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Help!!! Please....

Today i opened my laptop, it was in the sleep mode, a very loud signal came out it wouldn’t stop, and the screen was black, the signal was so loud and annoying mad.gif i turned off the computer, now i turned it back on... it seems ok…

Someone please tell me that I don’t need a new computer…

msn-cry.gif

#16 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

you probably dont need a new computer Ani jan.

#17 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Aug 24 2008, 12:31 AM)
you probably dont need a new computer Ani jan.

Thank You Azat jan...smile.gif clap.gif

#18 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Is your laptop by chance an Acer?

#19 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (DominO @ Aug 26 2008, 10:17 PM)
Is your laptop by chance an Acer?

No it's not...it's not a good laptop, Compaq Presario f500, and i figured out, it was a battery issue...there was an option to check the "health" of the battery and i foud out that it was "dead"...sad.gif

#20 Celestemmcknight

Celestemmcknight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

My PC doesnt have a brand.I buy parts and put them together.It is both cheaper and reliable that way.

I dont have a laptop right now,but I am probably going to get one next summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users