3 replies to this topic

#1 onjig

onjig

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Location:Ranch in Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, Ranch in Nevada
  • Interests:Family, Armenia, Armenians,skiing, crop, too much to list.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

I've made  Our String Cheese for a long time, But now, The curd is not setting properly, so the cheese does not stretch well or not at all, come out kinda like Mozzarella. The cow is carrying a calf, I thought that might have something to do with it.

Have you made Our Type of Cheese from Raw Milk? Has you father, mother or grand parent? If you're lucky to have them with you, please ask them. If you know tell me in a post.

I use fresh Rennet, Citric Acid and fresh milk. I put the Citric Acid and Rennet in at the same temperature as I always have. I slice and heat the curd in the same manor as before. Same as it was done in Dicranakerts.

The only difference I can think of is that the cow is pregnant. If you can help, I will be very thankful.

Thank you.

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

interesting..  let us know  if / wan you  find  what the problem is

#3 onjig

onjig

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Location:Ranch in Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, Ranch in Nevada
  • Interests:Family, Armenia, Armenians,skiing, crop, too much to list.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Greetings Mosjan,

Our people had the answers! I will give you an example: To know when the liquid BRINE, has enough salt, they would put an egg in,when the egg floated so part of the egg , the size of coin, in the US that would be a quarter, was above the brine. Then there was enough salt.

They put Lemon Juice in the curd of Armenian cheeses to make the cheese more Acid. It has to be acid to stretch. How did we know how acid the milk was coming from the cow, when and how much Citric acid to add? 

Some know, but I wasn't bright enough to watch and learn when they were making it.

Never a problem before, but now , I believe the PH level is changing because the cow is preparing to calf.

Thank you for your interest.

• MosJan likes this

#4 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users