#41 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

Accused smuggler arrested

Authorities say he shipped parts worth thousands of dollars each to Iran.

By Jason Wells
Published: Last Updated Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:33 PM PST

LOS ANGELES — Federal authorities on Wednesday said a Glendale man was arrested earlier this week on charges that he violated a litany of international sanctions against shipping materials to Iran.

Jiraiir Avanessian, 56, was accused of smuggling high-dollar vacuum and pump-related equipment to Iran through the United Arab Emirates to avoid greater customs scrutiny, and that he laundered hundreds of thousands of dollars via international money transfers to his U.S. bank account.

He was arrested at his home without incident Monday, officials said.

Authorities in Frankfurt, Germany, arrested Avanessian’s alleged accomplice, 42-year-old Farhoud Masoumian, of Iran, earlier this week and were holding him while U.S. authorities worked on an extradition request, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the Department of Justice.

An arrest warrant was issued for a third man, Amirhossein Sairafi, of Iran, who was alleged to be involved in the conspiracy, but he remained at large, officials said.

According to the indictment filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, Avanessian received orders from Masoumian on behalf of clients in Iran. As an end around trade embargoes and sanctions with Iran, Avanessian, owner of Glendale-based XVAC, changed labels on expensive equipment and lied on shipping forms to avoid customs scrutiny.

Authorities would not say how they tracked the three men, or if they were on any type of watch list.

His attorney, Levik Yarian, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

“This is an ongoing problem that authorities are persistently trying to address,” Mrozek said. “There are some concerns about this particular technology, as we’ve seen in some other cases.”

Authorities have caught smugglers trying to deliver parts for aging military equipment in Iran, officials said.

In the federal complaint, Avanessian was listed as having a degree in chemical sciences, but authorities did not elaborate on what the shipments were for.

Laura Eimiller, a spokeswoman for the FBI, said the parts he shipped were listed in customs documents as being worth far less than they actually were in order to bypass a $2,500-domestic cap on export declarations.

The parts were in fact worth thousands of dollars apiece, she said.

Avanessian was scheduled to appear in court for his arraignment Tuesday. Until then, he remains in custody.

If convicted on all counts, Avanessian and Masoumian face maximum prison terms of 615 years and 525 years in prison, respectively, according to the Department of Justice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2010 - Glendale News Press

I cannot believe these prison terms. Wow!

#42 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

I have a suggestion. Let's change the name of this thread. Maybe to "Our Ugly Side" or something similar. Did we have such a thread at one point?
Anyways, "menq mard chenq darna" sounds so ... barbaric.

#43 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

ok nane jan

#44 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

ok nane jan

Վայ ապրես դու Մովսես ջան: Սիրտս տեղն ընկավ: Թենք յու: ;)
  • onjig likes this

#45 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

Ապօրինի փայտանյութ
[ 2010/01/15 | 17:34 ] քրեական Posted ImageՆախօրեին ոստիկանության Ստեփանավանի բաժնի ծառայողները Գարգառ գյուղից, «ԶԻԼ» մակնիշի ավտոմեքենայով հանդերձ, բերման են ենթարկել 1969 թ. ծնված Գարիկ Ա.-ին: Վերջինիս վարած ավտոմեքենայի թափքում հայտնաբերվել է շուրջ 6 խմ փայտանյութ` առանց համապատասխան փաստաթղթի:

Նյութերի նախապատրաստման ընթացքում պարզվել է, որ Գարիկ Ա.-ն փայտանյութը բարձել է Գյուլագարակի անտառպետության թիվ 7 պահաբաժնից:

«Հանգամանքները պարզվում են, կատարվում է հետաքննություն»,- տեղեկացնում է Ոստիկանության լրատվության վարչությունը:

#46 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

The department of defense of state interests of the RA General Prosecution has brought up a case against the abuse of official powers on the part of the Adviser to the Minister of Culture. According to the General Prosecution, using the powers of an official, former adviser, current head of the department of law and control at the staff of the same Ministry A. Hayrapetyan confiscated 19.010.000 drams and caused serious damage to the state and which has led to serious consequences. On January 29, 2010, prosecutor of the department of defense of state interests at the RA General Prosecution instigated a case under Point 1, Part 3, Article 178, Point 1, Part 3, Articles 38-178 and Part 2 of Article 308 of the RA Penal Code. The case has been sent to the general investigative department of the RA Police for preliminary examination.

#47 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Mass elimination of fish in Hrazdan River
05:41 pm | January 25, 2010 | Regions

"I have never seen such a thing in my life: all the living has died," said an Arzni villager in the interview with EcoLur who eye witnessed the mass elimination of the fish in the Hrazdan River. EcoLur received an s.o.s. signal on 23 January.

When we reached the scene, Arzni Gorge, we saw the river bottom full of dead fish, crabs and frogs. It was already the third day the Sevan gulls have been feeding with the fish having risen to the surface.

On the scene we caught the Territorial State Environmental Inspection of the Ministry of Nature Protection of RA. Under the inspector, the initial checkup showed that approximately 500 m of the river zone was affected. «I hope that this really has a local nature", - said the inspector.

The locals are extremely worried. "Probably this is a poisoning. Already there are some rumors that chlorine has been filled in the river, but it doesn't look like a chlorine, as we are here the whole day and observe the situation. If it were chlorine, we would feel its smell. Over 1000 people visit our places in the high season. Our children swim in this river. We have no information. What will happen, if it suddenly turns out to be a great danger?"

By EcoLur's request, the Deputy Head of the State Environmental Inspection Karen Papoyan advised that at present the Ministry of Nature Protection of RA is conducting the analysis of the water samples taken from the Hrazdan River and the dead fish. "We will inform the public about the analysis results through the mass media," Papoyan said. Under him, the results will show what the scales of the accident are and what other departments should be involved in this process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPKC7ORgIM

#48 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

Man convicted of health fraud
He faces up to 320 years in prison for money laundering and Medicare fraud.

By Melanie Hicken
Published: Last Updated Friday, March 5, 2010 8:07 PM PST

GLENDALE — A Glendale man was convicted last week in U.S. District Court of running a health-care fraud and money laundering scheme that affected more than 800 Medicare patients across the Los Angeles region, the U.S. attorney’s office announced Thursday.

Manuk Karapetyan, 46, was convicted of using the stolen identities of four physicians to submit about 6,000 insurance claims for more than 800 patients, at one point billing Medicare for roughly $3.2 million in just one month, according to the U.S. attorney.

He was convicted last week of multiple counts of health-care fraud and money laundering after a one-week trial that started Feb. 19, Assistant U.S. Atty. Beong-Soo Kim said Friday.

Karapetyan was arrested in April as the result of an investigation that started in fall 2004, when patients contacted Medicare after receiving notices summarizing the fraudulent services, officials said. Medicare opened an investigation before contacting the FBI.

While Karapetyan did rent a one-room office in downtown Los Angeles, the claims were made under the stolen identities of four licensed California physicians who never worked for the Glendale medical clinic, officials said. At trial, federal prosecutors presented evidence that no patients ever received medical services at the office.

“Several Medicare beneficiaries testified at trial,” Kim said. “They would receive in the mail these notices of treatment that they supposedly had received, and not recognize the doctor who had treated them or the services.”

Karapetyan billed more than $3.2 million in fraudulent services in one month, officials said, but because of the quick discovery of the charges, many of the checks were canceled before he could deposit the funds.

By the time the fraud was discovered, he had deposited about $566,000 in two bank accounts, transferring tens of thousands of dollars to himself and two associates in Armenia, officials said.

Karapetyan had testified that he was a “straw owner” of the clinic, and that Sadrek Asatryan, now deceased, was actually responsible for the business, officials said.

But prosecutors argued that Karapetyan had actively participated in conducting the scheme’s financial transactions.

On Friday, Karapetyan’s attorney, Edward Robinson, said his client got caught up in the scheme and that he wasn’t fully aware of the operation.

“I just think that Mr. Karapetyan is very sad that he was taken advantage of by others that were involved by this,” he said.

Anne Gray, who works as project coordinator for Senior Medicare Patrol, a grant-funded program operated by the nonprofit California Health Advocates, said Medicare fraud was “pretty prevalent.”

Her program was warning seniors about giving out personal information to potential con artists, she said.

“I just like seniors to know that the con artists are out there, and they are targeting seniors,” she said. “They should be careful about people who approach them or call them on the telephone.”

Karapetyan, who faces up to 320 years in federal prison, is scheduled for sentencing on June 21. He has been held without bond since he was arrested last year.

Kim said the government was working to aggressively combat an increase in health-care fraud.

“We feel we’ve already made a strong deterrent impact in this area, but it’s still going on, and we are going to continue aggressively targeting these fraudulent schemes,” he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2010 - Glendale News Press

#49 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

WILD WILD WEST!!??
This a cruel irony, specially during this Season the Resurrection/ՅԱՐՈՒԹԻՒՆ
Obviously some people don’t the difference between Յարութիւն, to rise and Հարություն to hit/strike.**
It is not only UGLY :saddam: it is also SAD. :msn-cry: While the Feast of Resurrection is a celebration of Rising of the buried, we are burying 4 or more.
http://news.am/en/news/18271.html

Armenian victims in LA shooting rampage named
11:44 / 04/05/2010
April 3, an unknown gunman opened fire in a Hot Spot restaurant in the North Hollywood, Los Angeles, killing 4 people and wounding 2 others. According to the local police, the hitman managed to flee the location.
All the victims were Armenians, Los Angeles Times daily reports. Law enforcement agencies branded it as a slaughter.
The source published the names of the victims: Harut Baburyan (38), Sargis Karajyan (26), Vardan Tofalyan (31) and Hayk Yegnanyan (25).
According to law enforcers, the killer was possibly an Armenian. It is assumed all the victims might have been involved in a gang.
L.A.

**Յարել means to stand up, to rise, to come while Հարել means to strike/hit. The most popular form of the word is ՅԱՌՆԵԼ as the Ր(soft) turns to Ռ (hard) before the letter Ն/N except in զարնել
  • onjig likes this

#50 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

http://www.latimes.c...62-06a52a650594

Gang Suspected in Restaurant Shooting Massacre

#51 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

http://www.latimes.com/videobeta/?watchId=71cd6f8c-7b9e-4778-8062-06a52a650594

Gang Suspected in Restaurant Shooting Massacre

Cali Armenian gangs give Armenians bad name.Here in RI,MA,NY no such thing as Armenian gang.I think LA scene is pretty bad in general.I hate LA with a passion.
Too bad rest of hard working Armenians must read this trash news and feel ashamed...

Yeahh that medicare story is pretty common not to mention CC fraud.LA county jails have thousands of Armenians...sad really sad.I feel no sympathy for this Mfers.
:angry:

Edited by Armat, 05 April 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#52 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

ya its pretty sad to read this and all the other stories and what even worse is most are Armenians from Armenia who bring the corrupt lifestyle to US and act all gangster in LA. I hope all involved get long long sentences in jail

#53 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

one of them ( who was killed ) was at the same 7/40 at the HH forest lown Saturday morning, was standing only 3' a way... was going to be a qavor soon...

2 brothers started shutting after an argument that - axper ushatsel eq.. es xi eq ushanum...

#54 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

http://abclocal.go.c...ideo?id=7369819
"The owner of the restaurant had a party for a funeral gathering and after the party was dismissed [there were] about six people left in the restaurant and this whole mayhem began," said Arie Grinstein, who owns the property. "I was called by the police to get to my home because they were thinking that maybe people were hiding at my house, which is in the back of the restaurant. And they checked it out, nobody was there, everything was clear."

No arrests have been made. There were reports that Armenian gangsters may have been responsible for the shooting, but police said they cannot confirm it was gang-related.

#55 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

arine Hakobyan, 38
Died March 26, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.

5800 block of Lexington Ave. Karine Hakobyan, a 38-year-old white woman, was fatally shot Friday, March 26, in the 5800 block of Lexington Avenue in Hollywood, according to Los Angeles County coroner's records.

On Friday night, Hakoybyan's 14-year-old daughter came home to an empty apartment. She got worried when her mother didn't come home from work, so the girl walked down to the carport looking for her.

There, she found her mother's body slumped in her Honda CRV with a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

Eighteen months earlier, the same daughter arrived home from school and discovered her father and 8-year-old sister shot to death inside the family's Hollywood apartment.

On Monday, a team of Los Angeles police detectives were trying to piece together the three killings, which occurred a few blocks from each other in Hollywood's Little Armenia district.

Detectives believe the killings are connected but declined to provide more details.

— Andrew Blankstein and Ching-Ching Ni

Related homicides:

Posted Image L.A. Now: Hollywood killer slashed woman's throat, shot her in head, coroner says Posted Image L.A. Now: 'Personal relationship' probed in slaying of Hollywood family, source says Posted Image L.A. Times: Mysterious killing strikes family again

#56 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

http://cbs2.com/loca....2.1613767.html

Posted Image

#57 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

looks like the 5th victim has passed away

astvats oghormi

#58 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

shat xelatsi yev bari azgenk

#59 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Azjan bolori mot el patahuma / yes part time americatsy em, irents mot amen ora es tesaki baner patahum

#60 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

Movses haskanum em inch es asum... Baits shat em tsavum es tesak baner lseluts. Inchi petka mer tgherj@ es tesak banerov zbaghven? yev hamaria bolor@ yerevantsi tgherk... Mer mech "Sovetakan" system shat var baner a drel yev mek kam 2 serund petka antsni vor normal darnank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users