35 replies to this topic

#1 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:43 AM

We can't have no creationist recieve the Nobel Prize. Creationism has no scientific basis. Would you give a prize to your enemy? It would be like the AMA giving a prize to a Native American shaman.

#2 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 08 December 2003 - 07:39 AM

If we analyze all the 'scientific' errors in evolutionism we will be busy for 3 years, so I don't call that science either. It's just and idea to me just like creationism.

Check out this website:

http://www.vuletic.c...me/cefec/1.html

#3 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 12:35 PM

We can't have no creationist recieve the Nobel Prize. Creationism has no scientific basis. Would you give a prize to your enemy? It would be like the AMA giving a prize to a Native American shaman.

The shaman would deserve the prize if he invented a groundbreaking medicine. Whether he had to spend 900 million dollars in modern labs (where the process of coming up with candidates is still far from "scientific"; it is a horrifying art form), or was inpired by Manitou doesn't matter. The thinking process of a "modern" scientist is a lot more chaotic than the paper s/he eventually publishes on it would suggest.

As for Damadian, he was rejected because he apparently broke every rule of decorum there is, and then invented a few more ways to irritate the establishment. Of course, the requirements for a Nobel prize does not include being nice or agreeable. It also does not impose any religious requirements. His beliefs in an area outside of the particular accomplishment under consideration should be utterly irrelevant. It's not a beauty contest, and it's not a test of overall self-consistency of one's life. It's about whether he invented or discovered something extraordinarily important for humanity. In the end, what this episode proved is that the Nobel committee shares human flaws with the rest of us and was unable (as it should have) to ignore the fact that the candidate appeared to be a wacky jerk (he may be sweet guy with a golden heart, but the "jerk" appearance was real enough). Whatever the workings of their minds had been, Damadian's manners and religious beliefs should have had zero influence in the committee members' decision. I am not saying he necessarily deserved the prize. But I am saying that those factors should not have been considered at all.

Your statement lacks both logic and compassion. I wonder if there is an award for that.

#4 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (America-Hye @ Dec 8 2003, 03:43 AM)

Would you deny the gold medal to an olympic champion because you don't like the color of his hairs, or because he is beatching his sport?

Why am I not surprised of your stupid comment?

gurgen have you read the site which you present. I don't see the flaws you are talking about.

#5 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:30 AM

I KNOW Damadian very WELL and I despise him. I am pleased that one of his kind was deprived of a prize he justly deserved. I am GLAD that he got some of his own medicine. He would gleefully deprive others of the fruits of THEIR labors. Good for the Nobel Prize committee that they have BURNED him. One notch in our gun. Next we go after HAIRABEDIAN.

#6 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (America-Hye @ Dec 13 2003, 10:30 AM)
I KNOW Damadian very WELL and I despise him. I am pleased that one of his kind was deprived of a prize he justly deserved. I am GLAD that he got some of his own medicine. He would gleefully deprive others of the fruits of THEIR labors. Good for the Nobel Prize committee that they have BURNED him. One notch in our gun. Next we go after HAIRABEDIAN.

You don't deserve any reply.

#7 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:46 AM

We also stopped the vile Missakian in his tracks after he rolled in the mud to destroy Krekorian. I would say the same about any so-called "Christian" fundamentalist. Damadian and his ilk are slime, undeserving of ANY honor. These dudes do not walk in the steps of Jesus but in the steps of Beelzabub.

#8 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:14 AM

There must be a prize for "village idiot"... Someone set up a poll to elect the Hye Forum Village Idiot?

Creationists are a laughable bunch. Selecting members from a very narrow bunch of people (Christians only, to start with), they have the nerve to go preaching about hair on mammals and feathers on birds to Muslim audiences, praising "God and Allah"...
Thing is, despite everything, they are not racists. They are not neo-Nazis. They don't condone violence. Correct me if I am wrong.
Are religious Hindus undeserving of the Nobel prize because they defend the pattern of social classes called the "caste system"?

#9 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:22 AM

These "village idiots" assured that only a true Christian like Arnold would EVER be elected Republican governor of California. The family of Rev. Rushdoony, Rev. Hairabedian and their ilk have been silenced. Some powerful "village idiots" don't you think? Damadian can squirm all he wants, the die is cast.

#10 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:50 AM

Hey Stormy,

They say they don't advocate violence, but this is a sham. They would gleefuly kill persons such as myself, despite my heterosexual leanings and persons such as Dan. They are devils who have placed angels clothing on themselves.

#11 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:08 PM

Like two branches of the same tree.

#12 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:08 PM

We can't have no creationist recieve the Nobel Prize. Creationism has no scientific basis.

But that is not what the Nobel Prize is for - the Nobel Prize is ONLY for the specific invention or benefit in science to humanity. It does not extend to the person's previous contributions to science. It does not extend to the person's beliefs or views.. An athlete may have never won, in fact, he may have placed as the last in the standings the whole time, but that is not a justification for not giving him the gold medal when he wins..

Creationist or not, Damadian should've received recognition for his contributions.

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (America-Hye @ Dec 13 2003, 04:46 PM)
We also stopped the vile Missakian in his tracks after he rolled in the mud to destroy Krekorian. I would say the same about any so-called "Christian" fundamentalist. Damadian and his ilk are slime, undeserving of ANY honor. These dudes do not walk in the steps of Jesus but in the steps of Beelzabub.

Who and what is Missakian?
This must be one of the very few times that I concur with AmericaHye.
Any so called scientist who professes to be a creationist must have their head examined.

People who visit psychiatrists must have their heads examined too. smile.gif smile.gif

Any scientist who believes that the world was created 4615 years 23 hours 59 minutes and 58 seconds ago must see which neurons in their head is dsifunctional. We have living trees that are older than that.
It has been said that "genius and insanity are a hair apart".
Yet, if it was not for those "insanes" we would still believe that the sun revolves around the Earth.

#14 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:33 PM

Arpa,

that's irrelevant. the fact that you disagree with him on something like that is not a justification for him not receiving the prize for his contributions. he may be delusional w.r.t creationism, but that's not what the prize is all about. it's not about beliefs or opinions. we all have opinions. i would think that if the NP committee were to name a winner that agreed with all their personal beliefs, they would spend the next 4615 years 23 hours 59 minutes and 58 seconds coming up with a name.. not everyone agrees with everyone else. that is what's so great about life (the chance for debate laugh.gif ) - but in a situation that is not concerned with people's beliefs, the person who has truly contributed should receive the prize no matter what. i don't care if he were a killer (if he's free then it must be that he wasn't convicted or that he was released after serving his time in jail), if he invented something, he is as deserving of the prize as the other person who might've invented the same thing and had a great past. that is why those who are on committees (in general) have to be objective and not biased...

#15 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Dec 13 2003, 10:01 AM)
gurgen have you read the site which you present. I don't see the flaws you are talking about.

Yes I have but apparently you have not.

#16 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:17 PM

DAMADIAN = NERO.

While little Raymond was practicing his violin, I was being buggered by the priests down the street. Like Nero's fiddling he fiddled while I burned.

#17 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:47 PM

Hey Dan,

You are still young. You will work VERY hard to make one like Damadian VERY rich. He will then forge a golden sword out of his wealth and slit your throat with it.

#18 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:21 PM

Obviously the concept of creationism (and any who hold such a belief) is in opposition to the concept of Scientific method as generallypracticed and accepted by Scientists in the world today (just as evolutionary theory is fully consistent with such).

But denying the nobel prize to someone deserving based on achievemnt/accomplishment - for beliefs having nothing to do with such achievement..or even for being a jerk etc...well - I find this disturbing and unfourtunate. But I guess it is a private award that is decided upon by a commitee or such - and they can give the prize to whomever they like...oh well...

#19 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (America-Hye @ Dec 13 2003, 02:47 PM)
Hey Dan,

You are still young. You will work VERY hard to make one like Damadian VERY rich. He will then forge a golden sword out of his wealth and slit your throat with it.

No, America-Hye.. you are wrong... Knowing how to distinguish one thing from another does not mean favouring or supporting one or the other... I don't know much about Damadian, and frankly, I don't care, because knowing who he is is in fact irrelevant to the concept of the Nobel Prize.

I am anti-creationism, but I don't think the theory of evolution explains everything either, and believe me, if it were a debate about creationism, I would be the first one to criticize Damadian, but as it stands, the issue is irrelevant...

Damadian may be the biggest loser in the world, and even if he were my biggest enemy, it would still be wrong to take away that prize from him solely for his beliefs, and *I* (supposing I were his enemy) would not support such an action. Even if the person who got the prize were a Turk or the biggest homophobe on earth. Being objective means being objective all the time, not just when it appeals to one. I might not like it, but I have to put away all prejudice or dislike. I cannot force my values on someone else by depriving that person of the prize. That's not who I am. I don't know. I respect your views, but I disagree with you.

Quoting from the Statutes of the Nobel Foundation:

[...] one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine [...]

A work may not be awarded a prize, unless it by experience or expert scrutiny has been found to be of such outstanding importance as is manifestly intended by the will.

http://www.nobel.se/...n/statutes.html

Edited by Dan, 13 December 2003 - 02:42 PM.

#20 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (gurgen @ Dec 13 2003, 12:44 PM)
Yes I have but apparently you have not.

Really? Mark Vuletic is an atheistic individual that made fun of any kind of beliefs for years... he claims that evolutionary theories have no flaws, in fact he is himself a member of the skeptic society. So I do wonder what is the flaws that you are talking about by presenting this link. Furthermore, Vuletic is a self contradicting individual(accept the possibility of paranormal claiming skepticism and reverting to beliefs later in his articles) that sometime(many times) tries to treat subjects that it is evident he does not master at all...

I have read his articles, we do both have the same kind of interests, but unlike him I am a real skeptic and not a fake skeptic, a skeptic is the one that dought and not believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users