#121 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

The idea of a Turkish national is taking something very valuable out of Armenia I can understand and relate public outrage and anger.

He should of been prosecuted to the full extend of the law along with collaborators right at the beginning, he knew very well the value of those books, so what he recognizes the genocide, should we thank him for it?

#122 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,256 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

«Ցավում եմ կատարվածի համար: Իմ անտարբերության եւ անփութության հետեւանքով ես գրքեր արտահանելու թույլտվություն չեմ ստացել, չեմ իմացել Հայաստանի պահանջները, չեմ ցանկացել խախտել օրենքը: Խնդրում եմ լինել ներողամիտ եւ կիրառել հնարավորինս մեղմ պատիժ», իր վերջին խոսքում ասաց ամբաստանյալ Եքթանը:

իսկ բռնագանձված 88 անուն գրականությունը կհանձնվի պետությանը:

#123 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

I hope that the Armenian government does not expect too much from the citizens of Armenia if so easily succumbs to foreign influence and refuses to enforce the laws of the republic.

I only hope that the books are confiscated, cataloged, numbered and given for safekeeping in Matenadaran. I wouldn't mind if they have handed a copy of the books to the turk. It would have been the most expensive copy he has ever made in his life. And of course nice memories from Armenia... smile.gif

#124 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:07 AM

Ektan is free but the books and research stuff were taken from him.

http://www.insidehig...05/08/17/yektan

#125 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:46 AM

I won't be surprised if he lost interest in all things Armenian after this incident.

#126 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (Nakharar @ Aug 17 2005, 01:46 PM)
I won't be surprised if he lost interest in all things Armenian after this incident.

He may even learn that "ermeni" is a swear word as many of his ethnic kin are taught to believe.

What a relief!!
Short of Armenia becoming the laughing stock of not only the academic world but the entire universe.
Or is it?
I am glad to see this farcical “comedy” laid to rest, lest the following accusation become a reality.
(The entire text will be aired under a different topic-Archives).

“Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is certainly one of those people. As part of his government’s efforts to counter international pressure for Turkish recognition of the 1915 mass killings and deportations of Ottoman Armenians as genocide, Erdogan has repeatedly stated in recent weeks that Ankara has declassified its Ottoman-era archives and urged Yerevan to follow suit.”

Yet, to this day there has not been even an attempt to answer some of my questions above, most importantly; Will we ever learn how and where did he buy those “national treasures”? From whom? Who are they? Will they testify? Will they be charged with thievery and treason or plain desperate greed and need. i.e selling “national treasures“ to the highest bidder in exchange for bread ?

We all know the popular cliché- Caveat emptor/buyer beware.

Hey Gams, what is the what is the legal Latin phrase for “seller beware”?

#127 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Aug 17 2005, 09:59 AM)
Yet, to this day there has not been even an attempt to answer some of my questions above, most importantly; Will we ever learn how and where did he buy those “national treasures”? From whom? Who are they? Will they testify? Will they be charged with thievery and treason or plain desperate greed and need. i.e selling “national treasures“ to the highest bidder in exchange for bread ?

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that we will ever learn these details. glare.gif

QUOTE (Arpa @ Aug 17 2005, 09:59 AM)
We all know the popular cliché- Caveat emptor/buyer beware.
Hey Gams, what is the what is the legal Latin phrase for “seller beware”?

Caveat venditor, perhaps?

smile.gif

#128 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Nakharar @ Aug 17 2005, 09:46 AM)

If that's the case we don't really need someone like that with fragile committment to the Armenian cause. But he seems like as interested as before. I mean, whether or not he gets arrested in 2005 does not have any relations to a study of history. An integral person would stick to the subject.

Edited by Sasun, 17 August 2005 - 12:28 PM.

#129 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:25 PM

Duke student gets suspended term for breaking Armenian book law

The Associated Press

YEREVAN, Armenia -- A Yerevan court on Tuesday handed a two-year suspended sentence to a Turkish historian from Duke University who tried to leave the country with centuries-old books, in violation of Armenian law.
Yektan Turkyilmaz, 33, was leaving from Yerevan June 17, when Armenian security agents pulled him from his plane. He was carrying 88 books, some of which dated back to the 17th century, authorities said.

Armenian law prohibits anyone from taking a book that is more than 50 years old out of the country without permission. Authorities did not return the books to Turkyilmaz.

Turkyilmaz is the only Turkish scholar to be allowed to study in Armenia, which has tense relations with Turkey, due to lingering bitterness over the mass killings of Armenians in Turkey during World War I and Turkey's support of Armenia's regional rival, Azerbaijan.

Turkyilmaz, who was freed after the ruling, told reporters that he planned to spend another two weeks working in Yerevan before returning to Istanbul then North Carolina, where he is a doctoral student at Duke.

#130 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:49 PM

Turkyilmaz is the only Turkish scholar to be allowed to study in Armenia, which has tense relations with Turkey,

FALSE!

due to lingering bitterness over the mass killings of Armenians in Turkey during World War I and Turkey's support of Armenia's regional rival, Azerbaijan.

TRUE!

This is how AP and other World information agencies are keeping the World turning - by providing half truths for the sake of some ill perceived balance. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users