Photo

Warning signs? from Washington and Moscow ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Z'areh

Z'areh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

I guess the relatively mild threats of Sarkisian and Nalbandian directed against Turkey were too much for Clinton. I say relatively mild, because the mean-spirited politics played by Turkey should deserve much harsher response from the Armenian side, nonetheless, even a mild rhetoric by Sarkisian that calls Turkey to simply implement what it signed was regarded by the US as too much. I think that is why we read the following today:

[U.S. Ambassador to Armenia Marie Yovanovitch has been granted a prestigious State Department award for pressing the Armenian authorities to tackle chronic vote rigging and respect the rights of opposition members arrested following last year’s presidential election.

The State Department said Secretary of State Hillary Clinton bestowed the annual “Diplomacy for Human Rights Award” on Yovanovitch in recognition of her “extraordinary commitment to defending human rights and advancing democratic principles” in Armenia.]

The above statement is nothing but a warning to Sarkisian to tow the line that was given to him by the international trio. In other words Sarkisian to hush like a puppy. Remember, this "award" to the ambassador came only a few days after Clinton called Sarkisian personally right after the latter issued "warnings" to Turkey.

On the same day we hear that the gas supply line was shut because of "bombs found under the gas pipelines in Ingushetia". this could very well be the work of saboteurs, either the terrorist kind or the political kind from Kremlin, directed towards Sarkisian.

We are still paying, and will continue to pay the price of rigged elections of February 2008.

Edited by Z'areh, 14 December 2009 - 11:04 AM.

#2 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

Interesting observations. Hard to read what is going on in Armenia now but I think your interpretation of facts make sense. No doubt the Turks who came up with the peace initiative with the neighbours under great pressure from the US, and probably especially so in the case of Armenia, have obtained tremendous goodwill from Clinton and are using some of it. Connecting all the dots is a tricky exercise and one is always tempted to use its own version of deductive logic to come up with conclusions. It is hard to dispute that Armenia is the junior partner in this whole story. But what was the alternative?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users