Photo
- - - - -

Drum N' Bass

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

Anyone into it? It is considered in the realm of electronic, but its more like beats like hip hop, but at a faster pace, and depending or not if youre listening to atmospheric dnb you can even have some trancy tunes incorporated into it.

My current favorite is of course none other than LTJ Bukem, with MC Conrad and even so far as DJ Shadow. This is a bit of atmospheric dnb with some spiritual beats and rap, mostly very lyrical and stylized as if its poetry. Really awesome stuff, gets you in the mood for just about anything as well as making you think.

Get the Progression Sessions, trust me, you can't go wrong.

http://www.discogs.c...uring_MC_Conrad

#2 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:51 PM

It says page not found Mouse Man smile.gif

#3 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:19 AM

Try this.

http://www.discogs.c...uring_MC_Conrad

#4 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:55 AM

cool yet another world of music to explore....

#5 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:09 AM

For all the newest releases and DJ mixes: http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/

For 24/7 dnb on the radio: http://www.bassdrive.com/

#6 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:23 AM

Mouse, you really got me digging into my collection again smile.gif smile.gif I haven't properly listened to DNB in more than 4 years. Last time I went to a party was probably in 1999...

Anyway, I actually have Volume 2 of the Progression Sessions, i.e. Logical Progression mixed by Blame with MC Conrad. I tried to listen to that just now and it sounds so old somehow. I can't seem to get into it as much as I used to anymore...

I still really like some of Shadow's Endtroducing though. Great stuff on that. But it's not really what I would consider dnb. I guess I like the more hardcore stuff: Bad Company, Ram Trilogy, Dom and Roland, Ed Rush, Roni Size etc.

#7 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:30 AM

Better than straight techno, my English mates got me into it when i was overseas, but overall I wouldn't like purchase any, or go to a club that strictly played Drum N' Bass. But it's danceable, and can be tolerated during live party atmostpheres. punk.gif

#8 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (nairi @ Feb 13 2004, 07:23 AM)
Mouse, you really got me digging into my collection again smile.gif smile.gif I haven't properly listened to DNB in more than 4 years. Last time I went to a party was probably in 1999...

Anyway, I actually have Volume 2 of the Progression Sessions, i.e. Logical Progression mixed by Blame with MC Conrad. I tried to listen to that just now and it sounds so old somehow. I can't seem to get into it as much as I used to anymore...

I still really like some of Shadow's Endtroducing though. Great stuff on that. But it's not really what I would consider dnb. I guess I like the more hardcore stuff: Bad Company, Ram Trilogy, Dom and Roland, Ed Rush, Roni Size etc.

Yea I got very much into Roni Size and Freaky Flow as well. The Logical Progression are pretty old, or at least some of them. LTJ and MC Conrad have been around for a while now. Just get the Progression Sessions, you will surely like them.

#9 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:35 AM

#10 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:20 PM

I never liked Roni Size much - I was much more into DJ Food, Amon Tobin and some other stuff on the Ninja Tune Label in general. But I though DnB was dead !?! tongue.gif

#11 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Feb 14 2004, 01:20 AM)
I was much more into DJ Food, Amon Tobin and some other stuff on the Ninja Tune Label in general.

What do you think of Jazzmatazz?

#12 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:54 PM

I saw them live at some point (it's not very clear in my mind - maybe in Toronto, or NYC) - thought that their live show was a bit hoaky wink.gif but good.... although I'm not a big fan of Guru as a vocalist.

Haven't heard anything recently. On a similar note, I saw the Herbaliser live twice - they put on a great show! smile.gif I had a great time, and much enjoyed the music...

#13 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (vava @ Feb 14 2004, 05:54 AM)
although I'm not a big fan of Guru as a vocalist.

Agreed. I like the idea of jazz and hip-hop fusion though. We just need a better vocalist smile.gif

QUOTE (Vav)
On a similar note, I saw the Herbaliser live twice - they put on a great show! smile.gif

Lucky you! I never saw them live (or at least can't remember ohmy.gif -- maybe at a festival, not sure...), but I do like their music.

#14 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 09:37 PM

The Hip-hop/jazz fusion started in the late eighties (ie. before hip-hop was actually hip-hop) but most of the time ended with horribly bad repetitive vocals combined to some half-ass horns & a basic hip-hop beat. I always though that there was high potential to bring together innovative sounds (as jazz was, and hip-hop purported to be at the time) Overtime, there have been a few that have attempted this mix with marginal success - but I still haven't heard anything that really moved me.... I think that jazz composition is much too complex/sophisticated to be properly harnessed by the majority of rap/pop/hip-hop artists (and i say this with no prejudice).

I think far more successful fusions occur without jazz, but rather more roots oriented (and consequently simpler) musical forms. Reggae&DnB - Dancehall&hip-hop, Reggae&Soul, Funk&Hip-hop and so forth.

The only examples of solid jazz & hip-hop fusion I've ever heard are actually just 'intelligent' use of sampling - where that original music was so incredible that it stands the test of time, and end up carrying the new remix. And then it's not even Hip-hop... See the Verve Remixed series where the music is actually composed/performed by the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Wayne Shorter, Hugh Masekela (who's fabulous BTW!) etc... and then just remixed into 'electronica' tunes. Ah, alas, it's still pretty damn good. smile.gif

#15 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:04 AM

yeah - drums'n'bass is pretty good to chill out to - but I prefer to Trance/House when Im totally fokked (and most other times) smile.gif

Edited by Accelerated, 15 February 2004 - 06:11 AM.

#16 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:50 PM

Then you haven't heard real drum n bass. Trance and house are entirely played out for me and lacking the umph of dnb.

#17 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:04 AM

You should try hardcore Anon biggrin.gif

#18 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (gurgen @ Feb 16 2004, 04:04 PM)

I agree smile.gif

I think they both offer a good selection of excellent beats, but you have to like it and be able to get into it. House and Trance have a very different connotation here. Hardcore is mostly called techno or sometimes deep-house, even though these are each their own categories. House is generally considered commercial, what you hear on commercial radio stations. Trance is "chill out" music, but Techno is hardcore underground beats. Gabber, the Dutch version of hardcore, is a whole different category as well. Personally I can only listen to a few minutes of that...

As for DNB or breakbeat, Accel, I like your use of the word "chill out" smile.gif I usually have to leave the venue to "chill out" smile.gif

Here's something especially for you smile.gif

http://www.accelerat....com/ACMAIN.htm

Go to games (upper right hand corner) and play Pacman!!!! smile.gif God, it's been a long time....

#19 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:04 PM

I don't really like stuff like trance.

If you play beat music, you have to play it hard and loud, or else it's no fun (I reccomend DJ Promo tongue.gif), though I agree some songs are specially intended to listen to with a few XTC pills biggrin.gif (not that I've tried or will, leave that to the 'Sjonnies')
Techno is a bit better, but not the full potential.

Gabber is pretty funny, but most of the time kind of mindless. It used to be a whole culture, but now a lot of gabbers are becoming commercial and are going over to happy hardcore (why anyone would want to be happy from that music I don't know, I mostly listen to hardcore before a tennis game to become agressive biggrin.gif)

#20 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (gurgen @ Feb 16 2004, 09:04 AM)

I don't like hardcore. It has no umph just for e tards who think they are cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users