Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:22 AM

Harry sorry for Nazi uniform stunt

Prince Harry pictured in The Sun wearing
a Nazi uniform

LONDON, England -- Britain's Prince Harry was being encouraged to make a public apology and visit the Auschwitz death camp after he was photographed wearing a Nazi uniform at a party.

Politicians and Jewish groups reacted with outrage to the photograph, in which the 20-year-old royal was seen holding a cigarette and a drink and wearing a swastika armband.

The picture of the third in line to the throne in Nazi regalia was published on the front page of Thursday's Sun newspaper.

Clarence House, the office of Harry's father, Prince Charles, issued a statement late Wednesday night in which Harry apologized for any offence he may have caused.

But opposition Conservative leader Michael Howard said Harry -- the younger son of Charles and the late Princess Diana -- should apologize in person.

"I think a lot of people will be disappointed to see that photograph and it will cause a lot of offence," said Howard, who is Jewish.

"Prince Harry has apologized. I have no doubt that his father and his family will have a good deal to say to him in private. I think it might be appropriate for him to tell us himself just how contrite he now is," Howard told BBC radio.

"I think there are various ways in which that can be done. I don't think the precise form it takes matters, but I think it would be appropriate if we heard from him in person about how contrite he is."

The Simon Wiesenthal Center, one of the largest international Jewish human rights groups, branded the act "shameful" and urged the prince to visit Auschwitz death camp to see the full horrors of the Nazi regime.

Rabbi Marvin Hier, founder of the Los Angeles-based center, called on Harry to accompany his uncle, Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, to the camp later this month to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the camp's liberation.

"This was a shameful act displaying insensitivity for the victims, not just for those soldiers of his own country who gave their lives to defeat Nazism, but to the victims of the Holocaust who were the principal victims of the Nazis," Hier said.

"We strongly urge Prince Harry to accompany the British delegation on January 27 to the Auschwitz death camp to commemorate 60 years since liberation. There he will see the results of the hated symbol he so foolishly and brazenly chose to wear."

The Nazis murdered 6 million Jews and millions of others including Poles, homosexuals, Soviet prisoners and Gypsies. Millions more were imprisoned or forced to work as slaves.

Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, is commemorating the 60th anniversary that day by inviting Nazi death camp survivors and British veterans who freed them to a reception at St. James's Palace.

She also will attend a Holocaust Memorial Day national commemoration at London's Westminster Hall with her husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

'Very sorry'

The Sun said Harry wore the desert uniform of Gen. Erwin Rommel's German Afrika Korps to a party in Wiltshire, west of London, on Saturday.

The photo shows him wearing a swastika armband and a badge of the German Wehrmacht, or defense force, on his collar.

In a statement, Harry said: "I am very sorry if I caused any offence or embarrassment to anyone. It was a poor choice of costume and I apologize."

Home Secretary Charles Clarke told BBC radio the young royal had apologized and the matter should be left there.

And a spokesman for Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "Clearly an error was made, that has been recognized by Prince Harry and it's better that this matter is dealt with by (Buckingham) Palace."

Rabbi Jonathan Romain, a spokesman for the Reform Synagogues of Great Britain, said: "The fact that the palace has issued an apology indicates that this was a mistake by the prince. But having being given, the apology should now be accepted."

A spokesman for the Board of Deputies of British Jews echoed the words of Romain, saying: "The board is pleased that he's apologized for the incident."

But Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom was less sympathetic, saying the use of Nazi symbols was intolerable.

"I think anybody who tries to pass it off as bad taste must be made aware that this can encourage others to think that perhaps that period was not as bad as we teach the young generation in the free world," Reuters quoted Shalom as telling reporters.

Former royal press officer Dickie Arbiter urged Harry to apologize publicly on radio or television, telling the BBC: "It is just not good enough to behave like that. We all know history, and at 20 there is no excuse."

Labour backbencher and former armed forces minister Doug Henderson said the incident demonstrated that the prince was unfit to train as a British Army officer at Sandhurst.

"If it was anyone else the application wouldn't be considered. It should be withdrawn immediately," Henderson said.

"A quick way of nipping it in the bud is for Harry to make it clear he has withdrawn his application for Sandhurst," he told Sky TV.

Harry is due to begin training at the elite Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst later this year.

Andy Pike, from Unite Against Fascism, called for the prince to do more than apologize, and "distance" himself from the Nazis.

He said: "We don't think that (an apology) is enough. We would like to see Harry distance himself from Nazi ideas of white supremacy, anti-Semitism and racism because he is a very influential figure."

Greville Janner, a former Labour MP and one-time president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said the prince's action was "totally wrong and totally inappropriate".

"Britain stood alone against the Nazis and to dress as a Nazi was just youthful stupidity," Janner said. "I think he should be disciplined. He should understand what he has done and why it is so offensive."

The Sun reported that Harry was among 250 guests at the party for friend Harry Meade's 22nd birthday.

Harry's older brother, Prince William, also was said to have attended, dressed in a homemade lion and leopard outfit to fit the theme of Native and Colonial.

But the paper said it was Harry's outfit of beige shirt and trousers and Nazi insignia which was the talk of party guests.

The Sun quoted one shocked reveler as saying: "What on earth was Harry thinking of? A senior royal dressing up as a Nazi for a laugh? If that is his idea of a joke it was down like a lead balloon with many.

"There are a lot of old soldiers out there who will look at these photos of Harry dressed like this and be totally outraged. The Nazis were responsible for the deaths of millions. To turn that into a jokey idea for a fancy dress is an absolute disgrace."

#2 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

Seriously, I don't care too much about what public figures do , especially the Prince and his lot. But I always wonder don't these types of people understand whatever they do is under the microscope? I mean what was he doing or even thinking? It's not Halloween, and even if it was that's a horrible costuming choice. I just think it's more a stupid move than a malicious one, but he'll be getting beat up over this for some time to come.

#3 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:53 AM

If you and I did it everybody would have laughed it off. It was a costume party. People should just chill out especially the Sun. But they make a living out of it. Poor Harry. smile.gif

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:49 AM

This whole thing is so stupid. Next thing you know, they'll make you kill yourself and visit hell for wearing a devil costume or go clean a toilet for wearing a janitor outfit.

... now that I think about it, if I were Harry, I would go as Hugh Heffner next year!!!! eek.gif

#5 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:56 AM

It only shows that he is just a normal kid.

#6 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (Nakharar @ Jan 13 2005, 12:56 PM)
It only shows that he is just a normal kid.

Midn you - if he still retains any amount of normality it will soon be gone after reactions like this. He's a kid.... and we've ALL done some pretty stupid things as kids. Give the guy a break.

#7 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

You guys seem forgiving of it. But seriously have you ever even heard of someone doing this, even in jest? Yes yerbk desam etik, never. Never seen a Nazi costume or even a KKK costume. I'm sure ppl have but it's rare enough I think people will react in that it's in bad taste. Especially as a huge public figure, like say um, royalty..you gotta deal with the extra scrutiny. Apsos ir hamar, but that's Life.

#8 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Jan 13 2005, 05:41 PM)
You guys seem forgiving of it. But seriously have you ever even heard of someone doing this, even in jest? Yes yerbk desam etik, never. Never seen a Nazi costume or even a KKK costume. I'm sure ppl have but it's rare enough I think people will react in that it's in bad taste. Especially as a huge public figure, like say um, royalty..you gotta deal with the extra scrutiny. Apsos ir hamar, but that's Life.

Come on, he`s just an ingnorant kid, like a person of his age is generaly is. He probably wanted to sound cool, and now this stupid thing has gone out of proportion. And beside this, who is to tell what were his true intentions?

#9 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:46 PM

Believe me ya'll I'm not too harsh on these "public" figures, but I can say that I understand how people would be mad. I mean if some guy politicians son was seen dressed as Talaat ***** and said it was only a joke, you're not telling me there wouldn't be Armenians upset about it?
I see where he's just a kid, but then again it's just a sensitive thing, ppl are bound to be pissed about it. I just think somebody could have told him.

#10 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

He is 20 years old - not just a kid - and it is insulting - or should be - to everyone. Yeah Nazis - thats the ticket - oh no problem - world domination, enslavement, genocide - killing of millions - whats the big deal?

#11 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Jan 13 2005, 07:46 PM)
Believe me  ya'll I'm not too harsh on these "public" figures, but I can say that I understand how people would be mad. I mean if some guy politicians son was seen dressed as Talaat ***** and said it was only a joke, you're not telling me there wouldn't be Armenians upset about it?
I see where he's just a kid, but then again it's just a sensitive thing, ppl are bound to be pissed about it. I just think somebody could have told him.

Don`t tell me that you havn`t ever jocked about such things among friends? I have myself mimiked Hitler... Forgot Charly Chaplin?

It was a costume party, and yes, 20 years old is still young.

A Turkish politicians son would be a different story, because it would be the son from a represent of a government that still perpetuate the hate of the genocide by the official denial.

#12 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jan 13 2005, 04:50 PM)
He is 20 years old - not just a kid - and it is insulting - or should be - to everyone. Yeah Nazis - thats the ticket - oh no problem - world domination, enslavement, genocide - killing of millions - whats the big deal?

no big deal as same as kids wering a devil costum in hallowen, and speaking of which, if they bash this kid for wering a nazi costume/uniform, Jews have been making fun of nazis for dacates now, just watch Mel Brooks and his movies.

#13 Artsakh

Artsakh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Hayer miyatsek, miyatsek Hayer, Artsakh-eh mez kanchoom ognootyan hasek.

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:13 AM

I don't hear any condemnations when people on tv or in films or in real life wear that filty turkish fez, which is no less offensive than a swastica.

Edited by Artsakh, 14 January 2005 - 12:14 AM.

#14 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (Artsakh @ Jan 14 2005, 06:13 AM)
I don't  hear any condemnations when people on tv or in films or in real life wear that filty turkish fez, which is no less offensive than a swastica.

That filthy fez, ironically banned in Turkey, is quite popular in North Africa, where it originated from - so don't go there, lest you wish a heart-attack upon yourself!

I have mixed feelings about this - but nothing like "Oh a Nazi uniform is offensive and should never be touched!" It would have been considered "cool," after all, if on the butt of his trousers it was written "kick me" or something like that. All in all I think that although they are entitled to a right to a private life, such persons should exercise precaution, more than we do, especially with such sensitive issues, and 20 years of age is abundantly "old" for one to know territory.

#15 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jan 14 2005, 01:50 AM)

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jan 14 2005, 08:11 AM)
I have mixed feelings about this - but nothing like "Oh a Nazi uniform is offensive and should never be touched!" It would have been considered "cool," after all, if on the butt of his trousers it was written "kick me" or something like that. All in all I think that although they are entitled to a right to a private life, such persons should exercise precaution, more than we do, especially with such sensitive issues, and 20 years of age is abundantly "old" for one to know territory.

You people are too uptight. I don't see anything wrong or offensive with that. At least not to our generation. I don't think people should spoil the kid's fun. I don't buy that royalty thing so that the public can prescribe what he can do or not. He is his own person and shouldn't be constrained by people who really have no business in telling him how to run his life. I'm really pissed at the hypocrisy of the Sun paper, the favorite fish n' chips wrap paper of the 'little Englanders'. They have not only intruded a private sphere, but taken the limelight from more serious and grave issues. Plus they are probably the last ones for moral lecturing.

#16 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE (Nakharar @ Jan 14 2005, 12:00 PM)
You people are too uptight. I don't see anything wrong or offensive with that. At least not to our generation. I don't think people should spoil the kid's fun. I don't buy that royalty thing so that the public can prescribe what he can do or not. He is his own person and shouldn't be constrained by people who really have no business in telling him how to run his life. I'm really pissed at the hypocrisy of the Sun paper, the favorite fish n' chips wrap paper of the 'little Englanders'. They have not only intruded a private sphere, but taken the limelight from more serious and grave issues. Plus they are probably the last ones for moral lecturing.

Being royalty undoubtedly has a price. I don't envy the family, not at all. smile.gif
At any rate, I don't think it's such a big deal, but I'd rather he hadn't done any of that. He could have worn a hump and strutted around and about as Richard III instead.

#17 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:35 AM

I would like to see the commotion if he dressed up like that! biggrin.gif

Why shouldn't he have done it? No need for stiff upperlips. It's a private party afterall. I did something similar and worse there were some Jews in the crowd. It wasn't exactly a costume party, but we were told to bring someting funny along. I got some riding boots from a friend and attached a Gestapo eagle pin on my shirt. It was hilarious and quite harmless compared to what some of my friends wore. biggrin.gif

#18 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (Nakharar @ Jan 14 2005, 09:35 AM)
I would like to see the commotion if he dressed up like that!  biggrin.gif

Why shouldn't he have done it? No need for stiff upperlips. It's a private party afterall. I did something similar and worse there were some Jews in the crowd. It wasn't exactly a costume party, but we were told to bring someting funny along. I got some riding boots from a friend and attached a Gestapo eagle pin on my shirt. It was hilarious and quite harmless compared to what some of my friends wore.  biggrin.gif

The problem is that he's a public figure and you are not. What he does is photographed and he is always followed. He should've known better. Also, he shouldn't have done that, maybe it's not offensive to our generation, however it's offensive to everyone who lived throught that war.

#19 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:58 AM

If you are not offended you are either callous or just ignorant - and I am really pretty amazed at all those here who think its no big deal - thats really sad - I thought most here were a bit more on the ball. I can't even begin to explain why such is highly offensive if you just don't get it - aparently - particularly for a public/political figure...and considering what England went through in WWII (all who died and who sacrificed and who suffered - etc) - and he is perhaps one day to be King - and is now Royalty over there - no - extremely bad taste and lacking in all sensitivity. And you are aware that most all Nazi stuff is just out and out banned througout much of Europe - well certainly in Germany and I suspect France and elsewhere - and there is a reason for that. Most sad. And additionlly - being Armenians - who have been victimized by the same sorts - one would think at least we could understand why such is no laughing matter...

#20 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:04 AM

Thoth, while i agree with you in most respects, I think there's something to be said for irony - and teenage rebellion. If you were the King of England, what would be the most offensive thing your son could do? Why, donning a Nazi unform as a joke, of course! He's being a normal rebellious teenager - and I don't condone what he did, it certainly is in bad taste and offensive. I just think we need to understand a bit why he did it... he's young, and it's fun to be 'bad'. Don't tell me you never rebelled at his age....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users