18 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

Happy Vartavar everyone. Don't forget to wet someone!

I would like to use this occasion to submit my pet theory that the word "Vartavar" comes from the Hittite word "watar", which means water. Vatar vatar everywhere!
tongue.gif

#2 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

Happy Vartavar to you too! smile.gif

From Wikepedia...
Vartavar

Vartavar (also known as Vardevar or Vardavar, Armenian: Վարդավար or Վարդնար) is a festival in Armenia where people of all ages drench each other with water. Its name is a derivative from “vard” in Armenian, which stands for “rose” in English.

Origin
Although now a Christian tradition, Vardavar's history dates back to pagan times. The ancient festival is traditionally associated with the goddess Astghik, who was the goddess of water, beauty, love and fertility. The festivities associated with this religious observance of Astghik were named “Vartavar” because Armenians offered her roses as a celebration (“vart” means “rose” in Armenian), also releasing doves and sprinkling water on each other. Vartavar was celebrated during harvest time.

The Festival
Vardavar is currently celebrated 98 days (14 weeks) after Easter. During the day of Vardevar, people from a wide array of ages are allowed to douse strangers with water. It is common to see people pouring buckets of water from balconies on unsuspecting people walking below them. The festival is very popular among children as it is one day where they can get away with pulling pranks. It is also a means of refreshment on the usually hot and dry summer days of July.

From an Armenian church site
About Vartavar

The pagan feast Vartavar marked the harvest each year and was traditionally associated with the goddess Asdgig. Armenians celebrated this goddess with water.

To replicate Asdghig's bathing, people would sprinkle each other with rose water and hold a special festival of roses during this joyful feast. Additionally, family members would adapt their children's games and toys for frolicking water games.

With equal glee Armenians rejoiced over agricultural abundance during Vartavar. It either preceded or coincided with the feast of the harvest, which was the Armenian New Year (Navasart-Amanor). It was most likely held between August 1st and 6th, each year.

Different regions in Armenian celebrated the harvest with different traditions. For instance, in the district of Koghtn it was customary to hold a ritual during this festival involving green wheat that had previously budded. In other regions, special rituals were directly connected with animal husbandry. The Armenian Meliks marked that day with feasts held in the fields and rituals dedicated to fertility -- such as bringing fruits as gifts to future brides and grooms, throwing fruits on their heads, or sending them apples.

Throughout much of Armenia, families enjoyed delicious harisa as part of the feast

#3 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Jun 29 2008, 06:22 PM)
Its name is a derivative from “vard” in Armenian, which stands for “rose” in English.

Yeah yeah yeah. It's just that I don't quite buy it, as it seems to be a story force-fit to the name. In any case, have a wet Vartavar. smile.gif

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

I feel this amazing urge to contribute my .02 as well. As every warm blooded parska-hye knows, "vart" is the root word of "vartik" which is the word used to refer to male underwear. Therefore, it only stands to reason that "vartavar" is the pagan holiday started by the parska-hyes where people "lower their vartiks". I guess in order to entice this behavior, water was used at some point which has stuck around to current days.

#5 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jun 29 2008, 07:28 PM)
I feel this amazing urge to contribute my .02 as well. As every warm blooded parska-hye knows, "vart" is the root word of "vartik" which is the word used to refer to male underwear. Therefore, it only stands to reason that "vartavar" is the pagan holiday started by the parska-hyes where people "lower their vartiks". I guess in order to entice this behavior, water was used at some point which has stuck around to current days.

Then it would be appropriate to replace the cheese on your head with a vartik for this occasion. biggrin.gif

#6 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

Վարդավառ

Սուրբ Զատկին հաջորդող 14-րդ կիրակի օրը տոնում են Վարդավառ կոչվող ազգային-եկեղեցական տոնը, և միմյանց վրա ջուր լցնելու սովորույթը գալիս է դարերի խորքից (տոնը կարող է ընկնել հունիս 28-ից մինչև օգոստոսի 1-ը):

Վարդավառը (Այլակերպություն, Պայծառակերպություն) հայոց ամենասիրված, ամենաուրախ և հիշարժան տոներից մեկն է: Ըստ հնագույն լեգենդի` հեթանոսական շրջանում այն նվիրված էր սիրո ու ջրի հեթանոս աստվածուհի Աստղիկին, որը, վարդաջրեր ցողելով և վարդեր նվիրելով, սեր էր պարգևում մարդկանց: Ըստ որոշ մասնագետների` Վարդավառի տոնը կապված է Ջրհեղեղի և Նոյի` տապանից իջնելու հետ: Քրիստոնեության ընդունումից հետո տոնը որոշ փոփոխություններ է կրել: Այժմ տոնը նվիրված է Քրիստոսի այլակերպման նշանավոր իրադարձությանը, երբ նա Թաբոր լեռան վրա երևացել է իր աշակերտներին պայծառացած կերպարանքով:

Վարդավառը հայոց հնագույն տոներից է: Այն տոնել են հեթանոս հայերը, այդ պատճառով էլ պահպանվել են տոնի հեթանոսական սովորույթները` միմյանց վրա ջուր ցողելը, աղավնի թռցնելը և այլն: Ըստ ավանդության` երբ Նոյը ջրհեղեղի ժամանակ հանգրվանում է Արարատ լեռան վրա և հետո իջնում է գագաթից, այդ օրվանից սկսվում է հայոց Նավասարդ ամիսը: Նոյը պատվիրում է իր որդիներին, ի հիշատակ ջրհեղեղի, իրար վրա ջուր լցնել:

Վարդավառը տոնում էին ուխտագնացություններով դեպի նշանավոր լեռների սրբավայրերը և ջրերը: Հատկապես նշանավոր էր Մշո սուրբ Կարապետ վանք կատարվող ուխտագնացությունը, որը ոչ միայն քրիստոնեական հավատի, այլև ազգային նվիրումի վկայություն էր:

Տոնի ժամանակ մարդիկ հացահատիկի հասկեր էին հավաքում դաշտերից և տանում եկեղեցի` օրհնելու, որպեսզի դաշտերը պահպանեն կարկուտից և վնասներից: Աղջիկները հավաքում էին բազմագույն ծաղիկների փնջեր (հատկապես «վրթիվեր» դեղին ծաղիկի) և գիշերը գաղտնի նետում հարազատների կամ հարևանների բակը: Ցորենի հասկից հյուսում էին շատ գեղեցիկ փնջեր` խաչբուռեր:

Վարդավառը շատ հանդիսավոր տոն է, երիտասարդները վառում էին խարույկներ և կրակի շուրջը դիմավորում լուսաբացը խմբապարով: Պարերն ուղեկցվում էին երգերով, խաղերով և կատակներով: Առավոտյան աղջիկները շրջում էին տնետուն և իրենց նվիրաբերած ծաղկեփնջերի դիմաց ստանում նվերներ:

Սարերում կազմակերպվում էին տոնավաճառներ, զբոսախնջույքներ, լարախաղացների ուրախ հանդեսներ:

Վարդավառի տոնի կարևոր ծեսը աղավնի թռցնելու սովորույթն էր: Հատուկ Վարդավառի տոնի համար ողջ տարին պահված աղավնիները ճախրում էին օդ` հիացնելով հանդիսականներին և հատկապես, իրենց վարժեցրած տերերին:

Վարդավառի տոնի ամենատարածված և հանդիսավոր սովորույթը միմյանց վրա ջուր լցնելն է, որը պահպանվել է մինչև մեր օրերը: Առավոտից ահել թե ջահել, կին թե տղամարդ, ծեր թե երեխա, ծանոթ թե անծանոթ, դույլերով և տարբեր տարաներով «ջրում են» միմյանց: Ոչ ոք չի նեղանում մյուսից: Այդ օրը մարդիկ ուրախ են, բարյացակամ, իսկ երեխաների և երիտասարդների համար այն տարվա ամենասպասված և սիրելի տոնն է:

#7 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jun 29 2008, 09:28 PM)

lol.gif
so vartik for parska hyes is mens underwear and not womens?fascinating...I must find some info on this wink.gif

I posted the descriptions of Vartavar because I still dont' get what the wetting one another is about....other then it feels good in Summer...eh whatever...I go with the flow,I'm going to dump some water on my husband while he's working on the computer...he wont' mind right? wink.gif

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Twilight Bark @ Jun 30 2008, 12:23 AM)
Happy Vartavar everyone. Don't forget to wet someone!

I would like to use this occasion to submit my pet theory that the word "Vartavar" comes from the Hittite word "watar", which means water. Vatar vatar everywhere!
tongue.gif

OK kids! smile.gif
No fighting! tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Here it is. Hitting the “nail and the horseshoe/մի գամին, մի պայտին“, so to speak.
http://abovyan.com/i...o...61&Itemid=2
The word “vardavar” has two interpretations based on which of two pagan goddesses were worshipped: Astgheek or Anaheet.
Astgheek (the Armenian equivalent of Greece’s Aphrodite) was the goddess of love and beauty. Since “vard” means “rose” in Armenian, a correlation was made between this holiday and Astgheek. According to legend, her beloved Vahagn (another Armenian pagan god) was once injured in a struggle with evil. She rushed barefoot to his aid. On the way, she hurt her feet while treading over the roses and her blood turned them red. This is how red roses came into being: the flower of love was born. She had her temple, where young and old alike would go on pilgrimage to praise her, sing songs, and offer bouquets of flowers and other gifts.
On the other hand, Anaheet was the goddess of “purity, kindness, nurturing, temperance, fertility, wealth, and fullness”. She was identified with water, as a cleansing and purifying agent. In the ancient Hittite language "ooard" meant "water" and “ar” – “to wash”. These were related to Anaheet’s celebration.
The essence of the rituals is splashing with water. On that day, water is considered to be curative and powerful. It is used to divine and foretell the future. It was superstitiously believed to be a means of driving away evil. The accompanying traditional songs, dances, and games were supplications to the gods to give water to the dry earth. People would present roses to each other and loving couples would set pigeons free. If the pigeon flew over the young girl’s roof three times then it was an omen that the man would marry the girl in the fall.

#9 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jun 30 2008, 07:49 AM)
In the ancient Hittite language "ooard" meant "water" and “ar” – “to wash”.

I don't know about "ooard". What I do remember from my reading was "watar", and it took 2 seconds of googling to confirm:

from http://www.utexas.ed.../Anatolian.html:
"Although neither Hittite nor any other Anatolian language survived into the modern era, their influences are still with us among the Greek creation myths and other cultural relics. The Hittite word for 'water', watar, and other Hittite linguistic artifacts are still recognizable if one scratches the surface."

Otherwise another fine contribution as usual, Arpa. Thanks. Unlike the "vartik" one mad.gif from a certain gearhead-cheesehead (hey how about a wheel of cheese sculpted in the form of a gear, Sip?). tongue.gif

#10 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

Ղափանցեանն ասում է.-
«Խեթական watar-ը հայերէնով պիտի տար vard ձեւը, իսկ wetar-ից կ'սպասէինք verd-ը ձեւը: Յետագայում այդ verd-ը կ'դառնար urd (հայերէն ուրդ կը նշանակէ, պարտէզները ջրելու համար փոքրիկ առու): Խեթերէն watar, հայոց վարդ (ջուր) ես տեսնում եմ «վարդ-աւ-առ» բառի մէջ, որ տառացի նշանակում է «ջրալուայ», այսինքն ջրով լուանալը, ցնցղելը: Այդ վարդ (ջուր) իմաստն են կրում մեր մի քանի տեղանունները.-Եղիվարդ (վերին ջուր), Եղիպատրուշ (վերին քաղաքիկ), Եղիվանք (վերին վանք), Թաղավարդ (ներքին ջուր): Բայց կայ եւ վերդ (ջուր<wetar-ից) բառը.-Շաշվերդ (մեծ ջուր, Օշականի եւ Ոսկեվազի միջեւ գետակ), Օլավերդ (=՞), Լաստիվերդ (=՞):»
http://hyeforum.com/...4...st&p=184342
http://hyeforum.com/...4...st&p=241657

Edited by Johannes, 30 June 2008 - 11:54 AM.

#11 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Շատ շնորհակալ եմ, Հովհանես։

#12 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jun 30 2008, 04:28 AM)

As far as I know, we use vartiq (վարտիք) for women's undies as well.. Anyway, the root is not the same, to be picky. One is varD, the other is varT. wink.gif

#13 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jun 30 2008, 03:48 PM)
As far as I know, we use vartiq (վարտիք) for women's undies as well.. Anyway, the root is not the same, to be picky. One is varD, the other is varT. wink.gif

For our Cheesehead it all means the same thing. lol.gif Buffett!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

#14 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jun 30 2008, 07:48 PM)

When we were younger we would sing;
Tgha anoun@d Vartavar, mi ijetsour varik@d var biggrin.gif Hazar amot!

Edited by Arpa, 01 July 2008 - 01:23 AM.

#15 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

Happy Vardavar! May are pagan tradition live on till Mher's Return smile.gif

#16 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

(I got EVERYONE in my family yesterday naughty.gif )

#17 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jun 30 2008, 01:48 PM)

I'll pretend that's you in the blue dress.

#18 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

Tgha anoun@d Vartavar, mi ijetsour varik@d var

«Մինաս, տանիքէն վար չիյնաս»
«Յովհաննէս, մուկը ծակէն կը հանես»
Amber-electrum in arabic is "Kahraman"

#19 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Today July 27, 2014 is Vardavar
Below we read, this year the youth will be celebrating the Holiday at Garni and Geghard.
http://www.yerakouyn.com/?p=60224
http://www.yerakouyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/վարդավառ.jpg

Այս տարի Վարդավառը իւրայատուկ ձեւով պիտի նշուի Գառնիի եւ Գեղարդի մէջ
Հայ երիտասարդներու ամենասիրելի տօներէն մէկը՝ Վարդավառը, այս տարի պիտի տօնուի իւրայատուկ ձեւով. հայ երիտասարդութիւնը հնարաւորութիւն պիտի ունենայ ծանօթանալու տօնի իրական արմատներուն՝ «Վարդավառ միջազգային փառատօնի» շնորհիւ: Այս փառատօնի գաղափարը կը պատկանի «Երիտասարդ ակումբներու դաշնութեան» (FYCA) նախագահ Ատոմ Մխիթարեանին, իսկ փառատօնի գեղարուեստական ղեկավարը Արմէն Սարգսեանն է, որ Tert.am-ին առաւել մանրամասն ներկայացուցած է փառատօնը:
Արմէն Սարգսեանի խօսքով՝ փառատօնի նպատակն է երիտասարդութիւնը համախմբելով կեանքի կոչել աւանդական Վարդավառը: «Եթէ այսօր մենք հաւաքւում ենք ու ուղղակի ջուր են լցնում միմեանց վրայ կամ «սպանում ջրելով», ապա անցեալում այս ամէնն ունեցել է իր խորհուրդը: Յուլիս 27-ին փորձելու ենք կեանքի կոչել մեր մոռացուած աւանդական ծիսակարգերն ու սովորոյթները: Աշխատանքային խումբը համագործակցել է ազգագրագէտների հետ, քննարկել անցկացման առաւել յարմարաւէտ տարբերակներ»,- նշած է Ամրէն Սարգսեան:
«Գեղարդում տօնելուց յետոյ կուղեւորուենք Գառնի: Մինչեւ բուն խրախճանքը, Գառնիում նախատեսում ենք պատրաստել տաղաւարներ, որտեղ մարզից եկած մասնակիցները կը ցուցադրեն իրենց մարզի բերքն ու բարիքը, մշակոյթը, ինչպէս դարեր առաջ: Իսկ երեկոյեան թատերականացուած ներկայացման շնորհիւ հիւրերը մտովի կը տեղափոխուեն հին քաղաքակրթութիւն, կը տեսնեն թէ ինչ տօնակատարութիւններ են անցկացւել հինում: Այնտեղ ելոյթ կունենան նաեւ ազգագրական երգչախմբերը»,- ըսած է Արմէն Սարգսեան:
Երեւանէն մասնակիցներուն Գեղարդ ու Գառնի կը տեղափոխեն նախապէս վարձակալած փոխադրամիջոցներով:
Փառատօնը Եւրոպայէն պիտի հիւրընկալէ մօտ 150 երիտասարդ, որոնք հնարաւորութիւն կունենան ծանօթանալու հայկական ազգային տօնի ծիսակարգին:
Նշենք, որ փառատօնը տեղի կունենայ Գեղարդի եւ Գառնիի մէջ: Որքան ալ որ փառատօնի կազմակերպիչները փորձած են վերականգնել աւանդական Վարդավառը՝ առանց կրօնական արմատներու, այնուամենայնիւ, որպէս քրիստոնեայ ժողովուրդ ձեռնարկը կը սկսի Գեղարդի մէջ՝ առաւօտեան եկեղեցական ծիսակարգով, ապա ջրօրհնէքի արարողութիւն տեղի կունենայ, այնուհետեւ փոքրիկ բեմականացում կը ցուցադրուի եկեղեցւոյ բակին մէջ:

See also this from Hamshen
http://hyeforum.com/...e=5
http://hyeforum.com/...e=1
http://hayeren.hayas...g=ergerk36.html
ՍՈ'ՆԱ ԵԱ՜Ր

Երաժշտությունը՝ Կոմիտասի

Սո'նա եա՜ր, Սո'նա եա՜ր,
Սո'նա սիրուն, Սո'նա եա՜ր,
Վարդավառը գալիս ա,
Սո'նա եա՜ր, Սո'նա եա՜ր,
Ծաղիկը ցնծալիս ա,
Սո'նա սիրուն, Սո'նա եա՜ր,