• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 Teutonic Knight

Teutonic Knight

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

Rabiz music is very very popular in Turkey since it's pretty much Turkish music with some Arabic influence and Armenian lyrics. Rabiz artists have had many sold out shows there.
In Yerevan there's an antire subculture of anti-rabiz music and rabizutyun.
Insh ka stegh chjogelu vor? laugh.gif

#42 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,351 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

planavaya by Hasmik Karapetian is one of the best smile.gif

#43 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Apr 22 2004, 02:19 PM)
planavaya by Hasmik Karapetian is one of the best smile.gif

Is she rabiz too??? huh.gif She dosen't act rabiz!!! biggrin.gif

#44 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,351 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

Rabiz music is not prohibited in Armenia - but any rabiz singer who will perform a rabiz song or a music is not allowed to rent / perform in any of the government owned concert hall- will not be permitted to sing from public TV ( H1 )
In a short smile.gif Afon or Mino can’t rent Karen Demirjyan concert hall and sing Ara VAy VAy smile.gif

#45 Vitalichka

Vitalichka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:46 AM

See what people need to understand is that they need to stop hatin.
Now before you start to negatively reply, finish reading. That would be the first step to stopping.

Now what I mean is that people hate
because they're ignorant. But that can be changed. You can learn and thus you must listen to the music.

If someone doesn't like something they bullshit it.
There are different kinds of music, for different occasions.

Like hyebruin said.
Some for weddings.

Yes we know that sometimes it's tight to listen to a wedding song just cuz it got something that
no Rabiz song has. But that is what makes this world have different songs, people and thus creating wars, masacres, genocides among other horible things. Death.

Now I know that this may sound off topic but listen.

People need to stop hatin, what needs to be done is for people to listen before they judge and unlike some of the people who may after this post sending death threats, you need to stop and smell the flowers.

Ok
I'm sorry it's the way that it is, but unfortunately this is the way that I understand it.
If you listen, you won't have to take my view point but you will learn a different point of view which will open many possibilities in the future. It opens a door, that before you thought didn't need because it didn't exist but now you can have that door. And you will have the chance to open it.

#46 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:44 AM

Who's "hatin"? tongue.gif

#47 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:22 AM

Guys check this out. The girl gets on my nerves but this is cool.

http://www.geocities...grandcandyremix

#48 -=VAHE=-

-=VAHE=-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:41 AM

Mosjan is there really such a rule like that in Armenia? Because I had no clue there would be somrthing like that. Sooner or Later rabiz will go away and something will replace it. Like lately I don't here too many of those tund Rabiz songs coming out from the more famous singers and everything seems to move towards jazzy type of music.

#49 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (Vitalichka @ May 28 2004, 07:46 AM)
Yes we know that sometimes it's tight to listen to a wedding song just cuz it got something that
no Rabiz song has. But that is what makes this world have different songs, people and thus creating wars, masacres, genocides among other horible things. Death.

Somehow I fail to see the connection between different taste and death and destruction biggrin.gif

#50 ArmMusic

ArmMusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:41 AM

Rabiz (short for “Rabochaye Izkustvo” – best translated from Russian as “Peasant Art”) is without a doubt infectious. Reason- same as why Macarena, the Chicken Dance, The Electric Slide and any other cheesy pop tune is.

It is
a) easily comprehendible – since no vast grammar is needed to write/understand the lyrics
cool.gif catchy- no doubt
c) upbeat- must be danceable

d) has the forbidden fruit syndrome:
our face to the world is that we are a WESTERN civilization, and Rabiz is a reflection of our Eastern influence (i.e. Turkish, Kurd, Mongol) that is why we keep it deeply closeted from the rest of the civilized world. Who would want to admit that he or she indulges in the culture of the nations that have done the unthinkable to the Armenians?!?

Mixed with the Soviet Era “Estradain” music and looped through present day midi technology you have what is present day Rabiz.

Rabiz is no longer a matter of like and dislike, face it- WE ALL LIKE IT even if little or selectively. You put any human in a cardboard box for a century he will begin to like that also. Except now we are in a different place in time both socially and politically. And our art world is beginning to cross over to other cultures. It is up to all of us to decide what face we would like to show the world.

#51 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (ArmMusic @ Jun 1 2004, 09:41 AM)
WE ALL LIKE IT

I don't like it.

#52 ArmMusic

ArmMusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

I don't like it.

You failed to see my sarcasm,
Read the paragraph over biggrin.gif

#53 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:52 PM

Is what Gor Mkhitarian says about Rabiz in this interview true? It's the first time I'm hearing that so many people would listen to the radio from Baku.

(Btw, you don't want to be called Gor in Iran, but that's another story...):

SE : You talk about the British rock and American folk genres as forming the basis of your songwriting. Why do you thing you were so drawn to these styles of music?

GM : My brothers have been the reason for that. About 20-30 years ago, during the Communist Era, Soviet Armenia had a great number of "illegal" American and British records. My brothers listened to very "deep underground" music such as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple. Naturally that influenced the development of my musical taste into something very different from the mainstream taste. I'm lucky they didn't listen to Azeri music, which was very popular at the time. About 70-80 percent of the people would turn on the radio and listen to the AM frequency coming from Baku. Because Armenia was under Communism at the time, the music was force fed to us and limited choices were all that were available. So, people became comfortable with Azeri and Turkish music in Armenia and that has become the basis for much of the "Rabiz" or pop music that is so popular today.

http://www.gormusic.com/

#54 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (ArmMusic @ Jun 1 2004, 06:49 PM)
You failed to see my sarcasm,
Read the paragraph over  biggrin.gif

Oh sorry, but I still don't see the sarcasm in that.unsure.gif tongue.gif I must be very tired today. sad.gif

#55 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Proud EXPAT @ May 31 2004, 01:22 AM)
Guys check this out. The girl gets on my nerves but this is cool.

www.geocities.com/grandcandyremix

Damn, I hate that girl! Armenian TV Grand Candy ads freaked the hell out of me a year ago. Thanks for the good memories smile.gif

#56 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jun 1 2004, 09:17 PM)
Oh sorry, but I still don't see the sarcasm in that.unsure.gif tongue.gif I must be very tired today. sad.gif

You just need to play the piano and sooth your nerves...smile.gif... or.. you may be tired from playing the piano.. in which case.. i cant help you there.. lol.. Anoushik jan,,, who isnt tired sad.gif

But i agree with ArmMusic.. very good description with the situation of rabiz music smile.gif

#57 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

It's low-brow music and sometimes people need low-brow music.

#58 [OP]HYEMP3KING

[OP]HYEMP3KING

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

LIke Vartan said, Rabiz is good on dance floor, and I would say it's folk music, not counting the artists who translate from turkish/greek/arabic ===> Armenian. What about our young people here in the U.S. who listen to rap music, which is dangerous, destructive, and a very bad influence to young adults, as well as children. I think we should encourage more people to listen to ARMENIAN <== music rather than any rap or any other language, cause after all, whther u like it or not, we're all ARMENIAN <----! And we should get in touch with our artists and encourage them to use more ARMENIAN songs/lyrics versus any translations from other languages (i.e. turkish, Arabic, etc.), becuase we don't have many writers/composers these days in Armenia and abroad, and cannot compensate for the demand set by the Armenian public....therefore they must resort to copying other artists' work in order to make $$$ for their own cd's. And btw....TATA <== writes all his music. So does Aram Asatryan, Aida Sargsyan....but for Spitaktzi Hayko I know for a fact that his music is from turkish music, teh lyrics would probably be the same I'm assuming, but I don't know, considering I don't speak any turkish. So I mean people out there, calling rabiz....see when I think of rabiz, I think of singers like this: Spitaktzi Hayko, Tatoul Avoyan, Uzbek, Mino, Vle, Karen Gevorgyan, etc......you get my drift? Those are rabiz singers...not Tata or Aram Asatryan, or Aida Sargsyan. You listen to their music and it is no comparison to those singers I mentioned above. I consider Aram, Aida, and Tata as pop actually, especially considering the music that they generate from their songs, it is more toward pop. Anyway, I have to go listen to my favorite singers in the world now....Aida Sargsyan <=== #1, and my #2 favorite.... TATA.

#59 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

[OP]HYEMP3KING, I would say Aram Asatrian is obviously rabiz, Aida Sargsian has 2 non-rabiz folk songs: "Lorke" and "Shirkhani". All other stuff is rabiz. Tata is walking on the red line of becoming rabiz but somehow manages to balance.

#60 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:armenians, armenian music

Posted 01 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

Well i see itys the same subject all over again lool...well if u guys want the truth having some education in music and all i dont see how people can classify aram as rabiz and tata not rabiz. They either both are rabiz or theyre both not rabiz. If aram is rabiz then tata is rabiz automatically because their styles are very similar, except for the fact that when aram had just started becoming famous he had a couple of turkish tunes. As for other pop singers, i dont think they sound any more armenian than tatoul or hayko, since there isnt anything armenian about ruben hakhverdian's music or the songs from hayko's new cd "norits" except for the lyrics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users