Photo

Is Violence Cool?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Armat @ May 26 2004, 11:42 AM)
No this is not a joke. Notice in American colture violence sells more tickets, books, cds and one would think it should be other way around.
Young kids rather imitate gagsta Rap then its peaceful positive alternatives. Are we going down the drain as a civilization?

This is more a philosophy topic then theology but nowhere to post hence here.

You'd have to examine the "type" of violence I guess as well. For example the sure volume of wars that take place on non-american soil. The death squads, coups, public execution, cruel dictators. In some respects the world outside of America can be seen as more violent. Yet we have the most serial killers, a gargantuan prison population and a gun culture that is out of control.

There are people getting killed daily overseas via war, and coups and the like. But we have the greatest volume of "everyday" killers hands down. American can and will go "postal" at any minute, and if you make a movie or t.v. show about it, all those people who are terrified of such violence, would tune right in. dry.gif

#42 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

The capacity for violence is ingrained into all of us...its only through the application of rational thought (and ultimatly self interest - what goes around comes around sort of thing) that prevents many of us succumbing to such base responses. That there is so much violence in media/entertainment etc - in our country - and even elsewhere -and through history - is really - I think - somewhat of a (safe) outlet for this sort of thing...of course much spills over into our greater culture due to or perhaps in spite of these outlets....

#43 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (THOTH @ May 28 2004, 11:08 AM)
The capacity for violence is ingrained into all of us...its only through the application of rational thought (and ultimatly self interest - what goes around comes around sort of thing) that prevents many of us succumbing to such base responses. That there is so much violence in media/entertainment etc - in our country - and even elsewhere -and through history - is really - I think - somewhat of a (safe) outlet for this sort of thing...of course much spills over into our greater culture due to or perhaps in spite of these outlets....

Thoth
the safe outlet you are referring is culturally conditioned and a poor excuse for producers of these kinds of violence, which they pry on human basic fears. In Scandinavian countries they are no outlets since they got no need to begin with.
You got to wander why teenagers would go to school with automatic weapons and kill their classmates and teachers and it is absurd that in developed country like US high school kids got to go through metal detectors. What does that tell kids about themselves?
I believe violence like sex is pretty much has been used in this country like Steve pointed out to sell products but the public is not bunch of bricks they do get influence. That is my essential point that violence is there under our skin but it does not have to manifest in civilized society unless it becomes a driving force to condition and brainwash public to flack their valets to buy the crap.

Edited by Armat, 28 May 2004 - 05:12 PM.

#44 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

soma...OK..yes...understood...

#45 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Armat @ May 28 2004, 03:10 PM)
I believe violence like sex is pretty much has been used in this country like Steve pointed out to sell products but the public is not bunch of bricks they do get influence. That is my essential point that violence is there under our skin but it does not have to manifest in civilized society unless it becomes a driving force to condition and brainwash public to flack their valets to buy the crap.

Unfortunate, but this is a age old reality human kind has faced over its existence, gradually and thru times concept of what old Greek idea of democracy had been manipulated over the times just like the holly books, but its a mystery however how human mind can develop and "progress" over times giving the total freedom, in this case the under the umbrella of "democracy" to thrive. Man kind intend to head just for the opposite direction, speaking of violence, and what or how much man kind is capable of, look thru the centuries of its existence and there is no shortage of "creativity"

I remember seeing “bowling for columbine” I wish this was made by someone else, however, attitude of its government does reflect the attitude of its people (in this case violence in USA). I ask you, do you think government and religious public figures like Jerry farTwell, who goes on 60 minutes and makes a statement such as “Islam is a religion of terror and Mohamed was a terrorist” is helping for a gentler Nation? Less violent Nation? Collective and organized Violence in the name of what? Humanity? God! And same can be said about radicals of every religion. That’s what it is, the good old God, Allah, Buddha, who has been used and God is continues to be used as a weapon, 70 million of evangelical Christians in this country are supportive of such a violent statement by this man, and you tell me if this has positive affect as far as reducing violence here in a USA, personally this kind of brainwashing makes me sick to my stomach!!! As long as those voices who oppose and needs to be heard are continue to be silenced. We are governed by natural law after all, when there is a matter then there must be always antimatter for human survival.

#46 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (Edward @ May 29 2004, 06:45 AM)
Unfortunate, but this is a age old reality human kind has faced over its existence, gradually and thru times concept of what old Greek idea of democracy had been manipulated over the times just like the holly books, but its a mystery however how human mind can develop and "progress" over times giving the total freedom, in this case the under the umbrella of "democracy" to thrive. Man kind intend to head just for the opposite direction, speaking of violence, and what or how much man kind is capable of, look thru the centuries of its existence and there is no shortage of "creativity"

That's probably because our programming hasn't caught up with our evolution. Courtesy of Dr. Robert Winston.
As for the other remark, about making remarks about Islam and Mohammad, inasmuch as they contain references to violence, I don't think it has as much to do with violence as it might seem - it's just stupidity and some smart eshes exploiting that stupidity. Here, violence is not a means but a tool. But I hear ya, it is sure exploited.

#47 axel

axel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:51 AM

is not a means but a tool.

Could you explain the difference? smile.gif

#48 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 02:03 AM

Sorry, I should have said not an end.

#49 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ May 26 2004, 11:42 AM)
Is Violence Cool?

Very much so, especially against cats. God forgives that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users