Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

Hey Everyone,

Let me first say that I have been thinking about this for a long time and each time I want to post it here I back off as I am not really sure what peoples reaction would be to it and if they would be interested in getting involved in something like so. But becasue of some extra encouragement Ihave decided to post it here today and would like to see what you think about it

We have some 1400+ members but only about 20-30 active members who visit the forum weekly. I'm thinking that maybe we can set up a small fund to do small projects in Armenia monthly or so. I'm currently thinking about very small projects to begin with. Oh I don't know maybe something like helping to pay for a small flower garden in the city center or maybe we can pay for maintenance of some art project or even buying books for a library or anything that is small that forum members do not mind getting involved and do not conceder a burden.

We can set up a paypal account and even a single dollar donations can be accepted fairly easily that way. We also have Raffi of cilicia.com as a member here and maybe he can be our link in Armenia. Maybe he could assist us there in making sure the projects get done and post photos for the group here.

I have not even thought about the logistics or anything like so, so I cant even comment on that. But if you guys think it is a good idea and would be interested in getting involved, I will give some thought about it.

thanks

Azat

#2 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

What a good idea...quite productive of you....work out the details and count me in.

#3 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:34 PM

GREAT IDEA BUD>>> we take our dollar bills for granted.. in armenian it lasts a week!!!!!! lol.. so im kewl with that... count e in ...

just one thing.. make sure we can trust the contacts in armenia.. too many times have i seen donations goin to the wrong places.. lol.. so yeah projects whatever.. anything will do smile.gif

#4 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:34 PM

Excellent idea Azat, let's think about it.

#5 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:35 PM

Count me In! smile.gif

#6 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:36 PM

You guys I can tell you how happy I am to see positive replies. biggrin.gif You all made my day.

I have never met Raffi, but I do trust him. he has done lots of good things there.

#7 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

Good idea Azat

First you/we need to be sure this is within the law, means have non profit organization formed first, legal documents acquired before donations can be made otherwise I can see a lots of problems ahead.

Solving that, I'm all for it, count me in!.................. I'll be glad to contribute
And why not, maybe some members can suggest similar projects and ideas, after all let’s make time here worth wile.

Best of lack

#8 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 10 2004, 10:37 PM)
Good idea Azat

First you/we need to be sure this is within the law, means have non profit organization formed first, legal documents acquired before donations can be made otherwise I can see a lots of problems ahead.

Solving that, I'm all for it, count me in!.................. I'll be glad to contribute
And why not, maybe some members can suggest similar projects and ideas, after all let?s make time here worth wile.

Best of lack

interesting you bring that up.. if need be, we can use the nonprofit organization name of our church.. smile.gif and the legal issues... welli dont know what else there would be.. but this way.. we can come to the forums knowing we have helped with somehting for reals !!! smile.gif i would love to be helpful to our beloved homeland..

#9 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

Great idea Azat jan, count me in smile.gif

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Mar 10 2004, 08:36 PM)
You guys I can tell you how happy I am to see positive replies. biggrin.gif You all made my day.

I have never met Raffi, but I do trust him. he has done lots of good things there.

Azat why not gather or buy low end computers, simple, nothing fancy with modems and have those ship to Raffi maybe he can distribute into earthquake zone in Giumry and Spitak schools, those kids from school can learn and enjoy internet, those things we take for granted, just an idea

#11 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:59 PM

Edward jan, do we really want to go through and create a non profit and all that? We are not talking about large projects or anything like that.

I am not sure. I have no idea what it costs to create a non profit and such, but I can imagine that it is not easy. Maybe Gamavor can give us a hint on this.

I personally would prefer to do it outside of the church, but it is upto you guys.

#12 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 10 2004, 08:58 PM)
Azat why not gather or buy low end computers, simple, nothing fancy with modems and have those ship to Raffi maybe he can distribute into earthquake zone in Giumry and Spitak schools, those kids from school can learn and enjoy internet, those things we take for granted, just an idea

That actually has been something that I have thought about alot. I use to know a person(and I can get in touch with him if need be) who use to redistribute old P1 PC for 40-80 dollars.

#13 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:39 PM

Fine idea,as a matter of fact folks you can deduct all your contributions under 1040 tax charitable contributions.Anything under 250.00 requires no paperwork.I donated some money to WGBH for the fine program "Armenian Spirit" and all deducted so it's a win win for everyone.
Azat jan just wait till I get a job.I am jobless sad.gif now.But no problemo I am pro now that is in losing jobs rolleyes.gif

#14 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Mar 10 2004, 08:36 PM)

Maybe Gem can advise better on this issue but wile I was reading your original post yes I think problems most likely may arise if you do it independently, that is if you (hyeforum) would handle everything, but working in congestion with some other organization I don’t see any problem in a legal stand point of a view, and yes I would leave the church out of this.

2 years ago I had similar idea, and at the time American embassy had (and I think it still does) now this is up to you if you want to make it a none profit, but had a program , if you are a US citizen and have knowledge in computer field then there was money reserved for project called "urban connect, project Armenia" or something like it, due to my personal reasons I didn’t pursue any further, but project may be still open, the information you may find in Armenian Diaspora, American embassy pages.

Now you got my brain working nonstop, unfortunately I have a plain to catch tomorrow early afternoon and haven’t packed yet. I’ll be thinking more about this Azat jan. I’ll get back to you on this with some more

#15 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:49 PM

Merci Armat and Edward jan... Ed, I hope the plane you are catching is taking you a tropical location for vacation and not work.

#16 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Mar 10 2004, 09:49 PM)
Merci Armat and Edward jan...  Ed, I hope the plane you are catching is taking you a tropical location for vacation and not work.

Munich Germany, today was -2c, I like cold in a winter, you can call it a plasure I guess, and since all expencess are paid by Gildimister of Germany, I'm buying a laser burning machine state of the art, they better fly me there for free, oh and it's a business class wink.gif

Edited by Edward, 11 March 2004 - 12:07 AM.

#17 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:03 AM

YES! It's a great idea Azat!!! Of course count me in!

#18 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:09 AM

I don't know, why does it have to be formally registered as something? Doesn't seem like a big deal as long as we know who to donate in a most efficient and appropriate way. By the way, cash donations are in many cases the best way and easiest. They can buy the most needed things with the money.

As far as computers goes, the Armenian Engineers Association of America has an ongoing program of donating computers, they have been doing it for a few years I think. I will find the link and place here.

The US embassy is installing computers in schools and connecting to the internet, it is a part of the US aid to Armenia, quite a useful way of helping. Probably Edward meant that.

#19 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:09 AM

Lets start with something small, just to see how it will work out. We can send the checks to a designated person (Azat) and then have them sent to the beneficiery or the person that will make the necessary arrangements for the donations.

Later, we can formalize our venture, but for the time being I don't see any necessaty of such. The flowers Idea is good, school accesories, even later we can participate into tree project, having our own HyeForum, Baobab standing proudly in the plains of Aragatz. smile.gif

#20 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 11 2004, 12:55 AM)
Munich Germany, today was -2c, I like cold in a winter, you can call it a plasure I guess, and since all expencess are paid by Gildimister of Germany, I'm buying a laser burning machine state of the art, they better fly me there for free, oh and it's a business class wink.gif

Edo jan, I wonder what you want to burn that you are getting that laser burning machine (hope not your zoqanch? laugh.gif ) Eh, have a nice trip smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users