#41 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (Proud EXPAT @ Sep 24 2005, 10:23 AM)
This generalization sucks. I know many diaspora Armenians who are not in any way involved in politics who run these kinds of businesses.

karakash you mentioned something about a diasporan not being elected but someone close to kocharian such as oskanian or sargsian. ah, isn't oskanian a diasporan? second if sargsian became president, completely completely impossible if there were fair elections, but believe me NO ONE will vote for that idiot. if he became with unfair elections the only thing that will lead to is another revolution in eastern europe.

Diasporans?

Let us count them. You can add to the list

Starting at the bottom/top; LTP was born in Halep, so was Oskanian, Hovannissian, the first FM was born in Ca. Jirayr Libaridian, the one time advisor to LTP

In business, I’m sure there are much more. Atinizian/Korian /Talanian the triumvirate that own and franchise/manage the Marriott/Armenia Hotel. Tufenkian, The Hovnanians.

Aaaah~ , not to forget that biggest “diasporan” of them all -Kocharian.

And of course you Our Proud One.
How is Raffi Kojian doing?

Who else?

#42 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Sep 24 2005, 05:18 AM)
Diasporans?

Let us count them. You can add to the list

Starting at the bottom/top; LTP was born in Halep, so was Oskanian, Hovannissian, the first FM was born in Ca. Jirayr Libaridian, the one time advisor to LTP

In business, I’m sure there are much more. Atinizian/Korian /Talanian the triumvirate that own and franchise/manage the Marriott/Armenia Hotel. Tufenkian, The Hovnanians.

Aaaah~ , not to forget that biggest “diasporan” of them all -Kocharian.

And of course you Our Proud One.
How is Raffi Kojian doing?

Who else?

True many diaspora business owners.
Raffi Kojian not sure why dont you ask him.

Edited by Proud EXPAT, 24 September 2005 - 03:21 PM.

#43 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:34 PM

Greece, Latvia (or is it Estonia), Israel and now Georgia have had American expatriats as President. Why not Armenia? There is more to civil society than business. Why are we considered to be any different? Most of us did not end up at the ends of the earth by choice.

Edited by phantom22, 24 September 2005 - 10:44 PM.

#44 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (phantom22 @ Sep 24 2005, 04:34 PM)
Greece, Latvia (or is it Estonia), Israel and now Georgia have had American expatriats as President. Why not Armenia? There is more to civil society than business. Why are we considered to be any different? Most of us did not end up at the ends of the earth by choice.

Because I don't want any lunatic mother***er like Saakashvili or Yushenko imposed in Armenia only because has an Armenian surname. Only the disporans who come and live here will be elected for presidency. Oskanian has the right.

Raffi Hovhanissian relates to Armenian problems as much as he relates to the problems of Burkina Faso. He is his papa's favourite son, nothing more.

#45 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Armen @ Sep 25 2005, 01:43 AM)
Because I don't want any lunatic mother***er like Saakashvili or Yushenko imposed in Armenia only because has an Armenian surname. Only the disporans who come and live here will be elected for presidency. Oskanian has the right.

Raffi Hovhanissian relates to Armenian problems as much as he relates to the problems of Burkina Faso. He is his papa's favourite son, nothing more.

Armen,

Perhaps Hovanissian's unemotional approach will be better. We are too emotional a people. The head rules better than the gut.

#46 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (phantom22 @ Sep 25 2005, 01:10 PM)
Armen,
Perhaps Hovanissian's unemotional approach will be better. We are too emotional a people. The head rules better than the gut.

Phantom, I highly doubt that Hovhannissian is unemotional. Also, he is unprofessional and any of his moves lack essence. We could as well invite some cold-blooded Scandinavian. Why is it that we always want an Armenian to be our leader. I think a total forigner would be a lot better.

#47 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

Armen,

Queen Elizabeth's husband was a member of the royal family of Greece, but his background is from Germany.

There are a lot of diasporan Armenians who are AINO (Armenian in name only). Perhaps one of these should take the reins. Harry Lee, British to the core, did wonders for Singapore.

#48 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (phantom22 @ Sep 25 2005, 06:43 PM)
Armen,

Queen Elizabeth's husband was a member of the royal family of Greece, but his background is from Germany.

There are a lot of diasporan Armenians who are AINO (Armenian in name only). Perhaps one of these should take the reins. Harry Lee, British to the core, did wonders for Singapore.

That's fine and dandy to be cool, calm and calculating, but will their hearts be in it as well? wink.gif

#49 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (phantom22 @ Sep 25 2005, 05:43 PM)
Armen,

Anahid,

For your information Harry Lee (Kuan Yew) is a Perankan, a Chinese/Malay mix, but between the ears he is a true Brit.

#50 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Anahid Takouhi @ Sep 25 2005, 07:27 PM)
That's fine and dandy to be cool, calm and calculating, but will their hearts be in it as well?     wink.gif

Anahid,

Hearts have gotten us NOWHERE but getting butchered, numerous times.

Edited by phantom22, 25 September 2005 - 07:46 PM.

#51 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (phantom22 @ Sep 25 2005, 08:45 PM)
Anahid,

Hearts have gotten us NOWHERE but getting butchered, numerous times.

OK phantom 22, but what I am trying to say is that the president who rules should:
a. be knowledgeable about the people's needs and his people
b. yes, he should be a very good politican, cool, smart and a calculating mind
c. should also be sympathetic and loving the country he/she is ruling
d. have done some heroic act for the country he is ruling, preferable but not compulsory or a must.
c. be very knowledgeable about foreign politics, foreign affairs and know how to deal effectively with foreign heads of states.
e. know how to form his effective cabinet and be able to delegate work, etc.
f. be ethical and moral as much as possible, helpful
g. work well with other political parties within the country and to have them help both him and the country
.....and the list goes on.....

Edited by Anahid Takouhi, 25 September 2005 - 10:04 PM.

#52 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Proud EXPAT @ Sep 24 2005, 05:23 AM)
This generalization sucks. I know many diaspora Armenians who are not in any way involved in politics who run these kinds of businesses.

karakash you mentioned something about a diasporan not being elected but someone close to kocharian such as oskanian or sargsian. ah, isn't oskanian a diasporan? second if sargsian became president, completely completely impossible if there were fair elections, but believe me NO ONE will vote for that idiot. if he became with unfair elections the only thing that will lead to is another revolution in eastern europe.

You are right, Vartan is not from Armenia, but he has basically become an insider. The person who "wins" the next election is going to be from the same group as Kocharian's core of supporters. Serge will agree not to run, Vartan will win. Serge will keep his current job. Robert will sail off into the sunset.

#53 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

Anahid,

I agree. It is sad what is transpiring in Armenia at present-unrestrained Capitalism at the expense of the weak and unconnected.

#54 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Sep 26 2005, 08:20 AM)
You are right, Vartan is not from Armenia, but he has basically become an insider.  The person who "wins" the next election is going to be from the same group as Kocharian's core of supporters.  Serge will agree not to run, Vartan will win.  Serge will keep his current job.  Robert will sail off into the sunset.

I have nothing against Vardan being president. I don't see anyone else who deserves that position yet. Not to say Vardan is perfect but honestly who else is there?

Although I can't stand Serge I think his position in the Defence Ministry is perfect for him. Who else could be a better Defence Minister? I would just like to see some changes in the way our soldiers are treated by other soldiers as well as their commanders. It's sad to hear so many negative stories about what goes on in the military. I would like to see the day when kids will love to join the army instead of finding a way to avoid the service.

#55 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:32 AM

Another candidate for the next pres elections?

The head of personnel of the RA President Artashes Tumanian affirmed yesterday the information that he was going to form a party in the coming future. He informed that now the issues with the adherents are being discussed; “If we succeed and the party is formed then we’ll take part in the parliamentary elections in 2007,”- he said.

And how the new-formed party will be called is still secret but according to the official it will have “a beautiful and harmonious name».

Mr. Tumanian also promised that bright and new political figures would appear in the new-formed structure.

#56 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:10 AM

EXPAT, what do you think of Tigran Karapetyan? what's the general feeling towards him in the country?

#57 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Harut @ Sep 27 2005, 10:10 AM)
EXPAT, what do you think of Tigran Karapetyan? what's the general feeling towards him in the country?

Personal opinion no way he is a joke, but he has a BIG BIG following of a different class. I'm sure he would collect alot of votes because he does pay attention to people from the regions. Who else does right?

#58 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:53 AM

Isn't it all about the people counting the ballots instead of the people actually going to the polls.

#59 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:traveling, reading, science

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

Vardan Oskanian will not be president and will not even run for it. He is not the appropriate person to run a caucasian country (although he has many qualities). In my view, the main candidates are Serge Sarkissian (not as bad as he seems, by the way!), Arthur Baghdassarian, Aghvan Hovsepian, from today's ruling side and: Raffi Hovanissian, Demirdjian, Aram sarkissian, and artashes geghamian from the opposition.

If the vote was held today, I would vote for Serge! He is by far the most hated man in Armenia ... but he knows what he is doing, his previous actions prove that he is smart/foxy, dirty (perhaps not physically) at his times, and a quite daring politician with a very long experience as a statesman and military commander as well. The only big problem is that no one will vote for him because he is the most powerful man in the country ..... we have a tendency to hate the strongest among us (although in his case he has done some nasty things... elections 2003)! Also, I don't know if he has a vision for all the armenians, if he has the cultural and intellectual opening required from a president.

If it's not Serge, then I would vote for Raffi Hovanissian. What do you mean he is disconnected from Armenia and does not relate to its problems?

These are some of my thoughts
A.

Edited by Aaron, 28 September 2005 - 06:54 PM.

#60 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 28 2005, 07:52 PM)
Vardan Oskanian will not be president and will not even run for it. He is not the appropriate person to run a caucasian country (although he has many qualities). In my view, the main candidates are Serge Sarkissian (not as bad as he seems, by the way!), Arthur Baghdassarian, Aghvan Hovsepian, from today's ruling side and: Raffi Hovanissian, Demirdjian, Aram sarkissian, and artashes geghamian from the opposition.

If the vote was held today, I would vote for Serge! He is by far the most hated man in Armenia ... but he knows what he is doing, his previous actions prove that he is smart/foxy, dirty (perhaps not physically) at his times, and a quite daring politician with a very long experience as a statesman and military commander as well. The only big problem is that no one will vote for him because he is the most powerful man in the country ..... we have a tendency to hate the strongest among us (although in his case he has done some nasty things... elections 2003)! Also, I don't know if he has a vision for all the armenians, if he has the cultural and intellectual opening required from a president.

If it's not Serge, then I would vote for Raffi Hovanissian. What do you mean he is disconnected from Armenia and does not relate to its problems?

These are some of my thoughts
A.

Serge will agree not to run and will back Vartan for president. Serge will keep his current job. Serge is not good at public speaking - he is more of a behind the scenes type of guy. That is why they loathed Vazken Sargisian and were allegedly the ones who ordered his assassination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users