- - - - -

Armenian Music - Still looking for identity !

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2000 - 02:00 AM

Parevner!
As you know music all over the world is being modernized. We have Algerian Raļ very popular, Turkish Pop, Persian Pop/Dance, etc.
What about Armenian? We have some modern music but I have the feeling we havn't really created a unique modern Armenian style! Some of Arabic influence, others of Persian, others of Turkish and others more of Russian. Maybe because of disunity and because of lack of talent or work (I don't think so). Turks have amazing songs we could play in Night Clubs because they make you wanna dance and move! Armenian music like this is rare!
R a f f i

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2000 - 07:58 AM

Amen brother! Turkish music is great, Tarkan's "simarik" is very popular right now in Mexico of all places. They play that song in every club and the video is shown constantly. Even recently the Spanish radio stations here in LA are playing the song! Unfortunately much modern Armenian music is a cheap knock-off of either Arabic or Turkish pop. Armenians need to pursue their own indigenous sound, there is no excuse as Armenia has a rich musical tradition, in many ways superior to that of the Turks.Also you know what I would like to see more of? Rock in Armenian and Farsi too, much like there is an explosion of Rock in Spanish. I know there are bands but they are ignored in favor of the synthesizer dance pop crap.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2000 - 11:25 PM

You're totally right about the Armenian rich indiginious sounds and culture.
Personally though I prefer POP... I guess it's personal taste.
By the way a singer I like a lot is Joseph. A mix of Armenian sounds but of course with Turkish influence, check it out.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2000 - 11:04 PM

Raffe jan shat ban chem aselu aggas.
yerb asum ek vor Haykakan Yerashtutyun@ verchin mi kani tarineri @entatskum n@manvum e turkakan kam arabakan yerkerin , jisht ek,
TSAVALI E YEV NVASTATCUCHICH mez hamar.
sakayn sa miyayn yev miyayn Rabiz Yerkichneri yev Yerajishtneri kormits e katarvum tarkmanel turkerenist vertsnel n@rajnst yerashtutyun@. yev matustel.

Lsel es artyor Hiko ? NUne? Tata ? Lilith ? Tsovak ? Shushanik ? Forsh ? VAhagn? Arpine ? yev shat urishnveri ?
iys yerkichner@ Nor HAykakan dziyn@ en .
nor dziyn @ Haykakan estradayi . teryevs shat het en USA Music Starnerits Sakayn mern en mer Haykakan Yerker@ mer Hayerenov
iynpes vor Hayrenakits ary menak Rabizov mi datir mer Yerashtutyun@ mer arvest@ yev kulturan . jishte Rabiz Yerajshtutyun@ mets ter e gravum mer kyankum sakayn da mer LIMIT@ chi Rabizov Hay azg ches karror vorakavorel.

Isk LAV yerkichner shat kan yev nayev LAv yerker .
Hajorutyun

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2000 - 02:58 PM

Hasketsa enger jan.
I listen to every kind of "Haykakan Yerajshdoutyoun", from Aram Asatryan to Ara Gevorgian to Tata to Arpine to Armen Aloyan to Etik Haroutyunyan. Arabs and Turks have been able to create a new and modern music (POP, Dance) with their own touch, sounds and vocal traditions. I mean Tata and Arpine is nice but lacks traditional Armenian sounds and vocals. Only by listening the instrumental we should be able to know it's Armenian. What we have today is great but not comparable to the Turkish and Arabic music with which we have goosebumps and want to dance! I think Andy is the first one who achived such a thing.
With respect.
r a f f i

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2000 - 04:49 PM

Rafi jan

Tsavt tanem isk inchu a qez tvum te MEr HAykakan Yerashtutyun@ karik uni Hamematvelu turkeri het ? mi hat lav mtatsy ,

i vercho turk@ ova ? kam incha ? uremn menk mer HAykakan Horovel@ kam dle Yaman@ petqa berenk hastnem turkakan yerkeri hamapatsaxan ?? yev anun@ inch dnem ? kareli e traditsyonal HAykakan yelevej@ modern dzevov katarel , dem chem kareli e yev petq e !!!! Nor serundi hamar.
Sakayn Katarel iyn turkakan dzevov ? sa arten axper jan cherrav Haykakan .

Vorpes Hay xndrum em urraki yerbek mer Yerashtutyun@ yev tsankatsats iyn inch HAykakan e mi hamematek turkeri het . indz hamar viravorakan e.

Yev iys yerbvanist turkakan@ dartsav LAV linelu chapanish ?yev kam moder linelu chapanich .turker@ der shat unen modern linelu .

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2000 - 07:13 PM

Know what Raffi? Some Persian singers(such as Leila Fourohar) actually sing some songs in Armenian, and do a better job than Andy! I think his Armenian songs are mediocre at best, compared to his Farsi songs which are excellent.

Also have you heard of Shakira? She is a Colombian singer of Lebanese descent, who is the number one selling artist in Latin American pop. She has a terrific song "Ojos asi" part of the song is in Arabic, but better yet she has Armenian musicians playing oud and tar and other Armenian instruments, so the song actually has more of an Armenian feel, rather than Arabic. Check it out, I think you will like it.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2000 - 09:38 PM

Yes I know Leila Forehar. I mean the song YERAZ by Andy is quite good but it's the only one
Man Shakira is amazing... thanks to MP3 tchnology I heard her... WOW! Thanks man.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2000 - 04:25 PM

Im glad you liked Shakira , she is very talented, she writes all her songs, and she is quite attractive as well! In an interview she said she is planning on doing more songs with a Middle Eastern influence, so I am looking forward.

I think Alabina needs to do a song in Armenian, as they have so many fans who are hay, enough "habibi" and give us some "sirouni". Also I think Enya the Irish singer, who has already sung in Basque needs to do an Armenian song, she has a perfect voice for it, I love her, and for me as an Armenian-Irish American it would be out of this world!

There is a band from Spain called Radio Tarifa that uses Armenian instruments in some of their songs, much like Peter Gabriel did a few years ago. It seems like the odars are incorporating Armenian folk music into contemporary music better than we! Oh well lets keep searching for some good music!

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2000 - 09:48 PM

Ha ha ha!
We are influencing superstars like Peter Gabriel! Nice!

You know what would be a dream? To have an amazing Armenian Pop/Dance singer becoming as popular as Tarkan! We can do it for sure! Imagine listening in the streets of America : "Have you heard the new single from Vahan? It kicks ass!"

Thanks for the suggestions I'll check it out.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2000 - 12:50 PM

Divas, Rabiz and the Development of Armenian Popular Culture

by Onnik Krikorian

"There is the tendency among the population to consider Armenian music lower than music from Russia and the
West," explains Yegishe Petrossian, the co-founder of the Ardzagank Recording Studio. "However, the situation of
contemporary music in Armenia is healthier than many are inclined to believe. It may not appear like it from outside
the Republic, but if you examine the situation from the inside, there is great potential."

However, even if there may be significant potential for the development of contemporary Armenian music, it would
be incorrect to assume that the situation is healthy. Alongside graffiti deifying musicians as diverse as Abba, Deep
Purple and 2Pac, Armenian youth have become more preoccupied with foreign influences, and Artavazd Bayatian,
Director of the Ardzagank Radio Station, admits that as least 97% of programming on private radio and television is
foreign, and not Armenian.

The popularity of rabiz in Armenia has also become a matter for debate, and even Radio Hye [see The Armenian
Weekly, 6 May 2000] includes it in a larger schedule of traditional and contemporary Armenian music. Ironically,
there is also a general conception among many involved in the music business in Armenia that Nune Yessayan is
'just a little above rabiz.'" Regardless, few seem to agree on what contemporary Armenian music should be.

"The majority of the population considers itself Asian," explains Petrossian, "but the educated layer in society
prefers to consider itself European. There is a huge conflict between the two, and Radio Hye broadcasts what we
consider "kef time" music. This is a combination of Turkish and Middle Eastern music, and is more popular among the
Diaspora because it originated from countries such as Turkey, Syria and Lebanon."

However, Radio Hye is the one private radio station that broadcasts only Armenian music, including artists such as
Aram Asatrian alongside Ophelia Hambardzumian, Ara Gevorgian and contemporary Armenian singers such as Alla
Levonyan, Shushan Bedrossian and Hasmik Karapetian from the National Song Theatre of Armenia. Moreover,
Armenians living in the regions of the country prefer to listen to artists such as Aram Asatrian, Nune Yessayan and
Tata Simonyan, even if their children, along with youth in Yerevan, are listening to Russian and Western popular
music.

Setrak Davidian, Programming Director at Radio Hye, says that while the station is the second most popular radio
station in Yerevan, those living in the center of the city still prefer Russian music, and western artists such as
Cher, Barry White and Bryan Adams. However, while rabiz has its origins in Turkish music, the genre has
significantly evolved through the music of Tata Simonyan, arguably the most popular contemporary Armenian singer
in the Republic today.

Many consider however, that the future of contemporary Armenian music lies away from such artists. Nune started
her career singing Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston covers before Arthur Grigorian developed her talents at the
National Song Theatre, and while Tata performs original music, Nune sings songs that others have recorded before,
fusing her interpretations with pop, and some would argue, rabiz. Due to lack of finance, other contemporary
artists cannot afford to produce albums, and as a result, popular music from the West is more popular among youth
in Armenia, regardless of the popularity of the "Armenian Madonna" in the Diaspora.

Contemporary Armenian music must take its place alongside the traditional, and structures such as the National
Song Theatre of Armenia are attempting to create a balance between established and developing styles. "If we
concern ourselves solely with the past we can not live," explained Arthur Grigorian, Musical Director of the National
Song Theatre, in an interview for The Armenian Weekly last year [see Armenian Weekly, 9 October 1999]. "We
must also define our culture for today so that we can live tomorrow."

Artists such as Nune Yessayan, Shushan Bedrossian, and Grisha Aghakanian were all developed at the National
Song Theatre, and Grigorian continues to nurture potential stars for the future such as Alla Levonyan and Varduhi
Vardanian. Vardanian in particular, has received numerous awards throughout the former Soviet Union for her
music, but like Alla Levonyan, has not been able to produce an album because of the poor economic situation in
the Republic. Regardless, artists are writing new material that could compete with the influx of Western influences
if only finance was available.

In other genres, foreign groups such as Metallica and The Scorpions have become predominant forces in the
contemporary rock scene, although Setrak Davidian believes that a six-member band from Jermuk shows promise
for the future. Mineral cites Arthur Meschian as being their main influence alongside Pink Floyd, and their
interpretation of rock music is undoubtedly Armenian. "We were brought up in Armenia," explains Avo Avetisyan, the
bass guitarist with the group. "We did not intend to play Armenian music, but it is something that is inside all of
us."

Complementing original compositions, Mineral incorporates extracts from poetry by Paruir Sevak in its music, and
the distinctive sound of kanon forms the basic melody for 'De Ari,' the opening track on their first, current album. A
recent collaboration with Djivan Gasparian will form the basis for another album in the future, and when Ardzagank
heard their material, the band were invited to relocate to Yerevan. Mineral were provided with access to recording
facilities in exchange for the proceeds from their first album, and both hope that cooperation will result in later
success.

However, certain obstacles need to be overcome if contemporary Armenian music is to develop further. In
particular, the market for locally produced music is insignificant compared to the innovative music scene in
neighboring Turkey, blending as it does, traditional Turkish music and contemporary influences. Ironically, even if a
potential market might exist in the Diaspora, Armenians living outside the Republic are less convinced.

"When the Diaspora hears rabiz they think that because it sounds Eastern, it must be Armenian," explains
Avetisyan. "In fact, it is Turkish, but if you speak to Armenians abroad about their interest in contemporary
Armenian music, they say that they instead have groups such as Pink Floyd and Metallica. They are not interested,
and while it is easy to become famous in Armenia, there is only a certain point that musicians here can reach. Nune
Yessayan, Tata Simonyan, and Grisha Aghakanyan cannot make enough money to survive in Armenia, and are
reliant on sales in the Diaspora as well as the financial support of sponsors."

The extent of copyright infringement has also reached epidemic proportions in Armenia, and the total absorption of
pirated American films and music videos on private television makes it difficult to find exposure even at home.
However, Yegishe Petrossian believes that the situation will change in the future. Holograms on audiocassettes and
CDs are the first attempt to reduce the amount of pirated albums sold in Yerevan, and a new law on copyright
infringement recently passed through the Armenian Parliament.

Petrossian says that he will work closely with copyright enforcement agencies to ensure that the law functions,
and that new legislation will also force Armenian television and radio stations to allocate time to locally produced
material. In the meanwhile, Mineral admits that they are not businessmen. "We are just happy that people can hear
our music," Avetisyan explains. "We will just try to do our best."

After hearing some of the new material that will be included on their next album, they seem to doing just that, and
Mineral could compete with contemporaries from the United States and Europe in the next few years. "We have to
create something better than western groups so that people here will isten to our music." explains Avetisyan.

"Because we sing in Armenian, they will also understand it."

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2000 - 06:03 PM

Raffi, I really like some of the flamenco-pop influenced Armenian music, I am not sure of some of the musicians, but I hear it in passing sometimes at parties or on the Armenian tv. I would love to see an Alabina type flamenco-Armenian project. I think it would really work: Spanish Gipsies musicians singing in Spanish and an Armenian female singer singing in Armenian , or vice versa. The Spanish would allow it to have wide-cross over appeal, as Latin music is the rage all over the world right now. Come on someone pursue this! Don't look at me because I can't play a harmonica or carry a tune!

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 03:43 AM

Hmmm... I don't really agree.
Of course it would be nice to have an Alabina style Armenian thing but I don't think Armenians needs Spanish to be BIG. I think if Armenians creat a modern sound of their own, it will be big!

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 12:49 PM

Raffi jan

well I am just being a little realistic, as Spanish is an international language which has a certain status in the arts. It would open doors that otherwise would be closed. Plus I think it would sound great!

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 01:43 PM

Ok, wait a minute...

who said we don't have a modern armenian sound???? a big part of being an armenian youth in america is listening to armenian music...it makes you more "armenian" in a way... besides, why do we need a "modern" feel to our music...our music is beautiful as it is...can you imagine yamane being sung by some rock group?!! come onnn!!

lol..janfedayi, yerevi miak hartsna vorum menk karoxenk hamadzaynvel )

gayane

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:44 PM

Gayane jan

Why not have a rock version of "Yamane" or other Armenian folk songs? I see nothing wrong with it.

Raffi, while we are talking about Odar music influenced by Armenian, the remake of "Kashmir" by Plant and Page that came out a few years ago has duduk, and other Armenian sounds performed by classical Armenian musicians, its hard to get a hold of though, but it is fantastic.

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2000 - 06:15 PM

Raffi, because then it wouldn't be an armenian FOLK song...that's the seat of the beauty of much of our music, that's where it needs to stay...

(lol..what's this world coming to, i'm actually defending armenian traditions..lol)

gayanchik )

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2000 - 10:56 PM

I might be joining this conversation a little late, but have any of you heard of Sako. He has a great modernazation of the Armenian sound, and he has many traditional songs also. Armenian music has many of the same qualities as persian, or arabic music. So the real need to make it better doesn't exist. The big influence of Armenian music in the world is not going to happen, we are too little in number and to unkown to have an impact with Armenian music no matter how modern or great it is.

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2000 - 07:17 PM

Okay...
First of all I agree with Gayane that Armenian TRADITIONAL music should stay traditional and yes, it is very beautiful as it is. You also say Armenian music makes us more Armenian, in a way; I couldn't agree more! Look at the Algerians with their RAĻ, look at the Turks with their Turkish Pop! You can dance on these, you want to dance! When I listen to Armenian attempts of Armenian Pop it's more like Armenian Turkish Pop (or Rabiz) , you understand? Why can't I dance on a fast beat with some doudouk, Armenian joorjounah toumpek rythm and a beautiful singer singing modern themes with Armenian vocal traditions? Is it because we have lost it? Do we need a new Komitas?
We already have modern songs sang in Armenian but I want modern Armenian songs. I am personally sick of American Dance etc. I always turn to Turkish Internet Radio because Armenian Radio doesn't make me move. We have to be more difficult in our critics of modern Armenian if we want it ti be GOOD and I personally I think our music can be in the World Chart!

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2000 - 07:49 AM

Raffi jan

amot kez vor Turkakan internet radio es lusum! Ha ha, just kidding, I do the same.

Hyemart jan

I disagree with you that Armenian music can't influence world music, it already has, and I have given examples of it in this topic, we sure have influenced more than the Azeris or Georgians!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users