MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Design for planned Armenian Genocide Memorial in Pasadena unveiled

Read more: http://www.pasadenas...d#ixzz2REFpzh9e

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_23076276/design-planned-armenian-genocide-memorial-pasadena-unveiled

Proponents of a planned memorial commemorating the Armenian Genocide unveiled the design Sunday for their proposed monument.
The simple, yet deeply symbolic design created by an Art Center College of Design student Catherine Menard was greeted with acclaim and admiration as it was unveiled during a ceremony at the school.
Menard's design was chosen by judges from the Pasadena Armenian Genocide Memorial Committee over 16 other entries. She is working with renowned architect Stefanos Polyzoides to translate the design into an architectural blueprint.
"I only hope it matters to the people that it's for," Menard said.
The 26-year-old Environmental Design student added that the idea of leaving her mark on her hometown of Pasadena by designing a memorial that will stand for generations to come was a source of pride, and a bit overwhelming.
"It still gives me goose bumps," she said. "I still get this terrific, wonderful feeling. "
It was a difficult and thoughtful process coming up with a design to honor the 1.5 million Armenians slain by the Ottoman Turks in what was then the Ottoman Empire between 1915 and 1923, Menard said.
The final product is minimalist in design, yet densely packed with meaning and symbolism.

Proponents of a planned memorial commemorating the Armenian Genocide unveiled the design Sunday for their proposed monument.
The simple, yet deeply symbolic design created by an Art Center College of Design student Catherine Menard was greeted with acclaim and admiration as it was unveiled during a ceremony at the school.
Menard's design was chosen by judges from the Pasadena Armenian Genocide Memorial Committee over 16 other entries. She is working with renowned architect Stefanos Polyzoides to translate the design into an architectural blueprint.
"I only hope it matters to the people that it's for," Menard said.
The 26-year-old Environmental Design student added that the idea of leaving her mark on her hometown of Pasadena by designing a memorial that will stand for generations to come was a source of pride, and a bit overwhelming.
"It still gives me goose bumps," she said. "I still get this terrific, wonderful feeling. "
It was a difficult and thoughtful process coming up with a design to honor the 1.5 million Armenians slain by the Ottoman Turks in what was then the Ottoman Empire between 1915 and 1923, Menard said.
The final product is minimalist in design, yet densely packed with meaning and symbolism.

Read more: http://www.pasadenas...d#ixzz2REG4HROw

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

#4 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Pasadena Now, CA

July 17 2017

Bill Authorizing Freeway Sign leading to Pasadena Armenian Genocide Memorial Passes Committee

From STAFF REPORTS

Published : Monday, July 17, 2017 | 5:40 AM

pngEKLqEf_SNo.png

The Assembly Transportation Committee last week passed SCR 25 which paves the way for the installation of a sign at the Fair Oaks Avenue exit off Interstate 210 to guide visitors to the Pasadena Armenian Genocide Memorial.

State Senator Anthony Portantino, author of the bill, said he believes the installation of the freeway sign will be helpful in raising awareness about the Armenian Genocide.

“I am so excited to see this piece of legislation moving through the legislature with such overwhelming and bipartisan support. Installing a freeway sign will help direct visitors to the memorial, raise awareness about the Armenian Genocide and serve as a reminder that educating the public about crimes against humanity is an ongoing process and requires our continuous attention. I look forward to seeing SCR 25 progress and these signs installed,” said Portantino.

Unveiled in April, 2015, the Pasadena Armenian Genocide Memorial located in the northeast corner of Old Pasadena’s Memorial Park, honors the 1.5 million victims of the Armenian Genocide.

It was constructed by the nonprofit Pasadena Armenian Genocide Memorial Committee with unanimous support from the Pasadena City Council. Senator Portantino served on the board of the nonprofit prior to joining the State Senate. He was the only non-Armenian to have served on the Board.

The memorial features a 16-foot tall tripod that captures the image of the structures used by the Turks to hang Armenian artists and leaders 100 years ago.

From its apex, a drop of water falls every 21 seconds, with 1.5 million drops falling in a year, symbolizing the souls of the departed genocide victims.

Neither the U.S. Government or the Turkish government have officially acknowledged that the Armenian Genocide ever occurred.

After passing the Assembly Transportation Committee, SCR 25 is now headed to Assembly Appropriations Committee, after which it will move to the Assembly floor for a final vote.

Sen. Portantino represents nearly 930,000 people in the 25th Senate District, which includes Altadena, Atwater Village, Bradbury, Burbank, Claremont, Duarte, Glendale, Glendora, La Cañada Flintridge, La Crescenta, La Verne, Lake View Terrace, Los Feliz, Monrovia, Montrose, Pasadena, San Dimas, San Marino, Shadow Hills, Sierra Madre, South Pasadena, Sunland-Tujunga, and Upland.

http://www.pasadenan...e/#.WW1YU5WWzmI

• MosJan likes this

#5 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

:thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users