178 replies to this topic

#21 Error 404

Error 404

ERROR 404

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Armenians and Chechens enjoyed mutual respect before the "wars". I used to know some of them. Good friends...

But I lost my confidence and respect to them when the Arcax war started. There were a lot of chechen mercenaries fighting on azeri side. Remember the battle of Shushi. Chechens were the last fighters to leave Shushi and their head was the same shamil basayev.

Also Hrant Dink's assassination mastermind was trained in chechen camp in azerbaijan.

#22 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

ANOTHER ARMENIAN KILLED IN MOSCOW

article's photo
On January 30, Armen Manoukyan, a resident of Moscow was killed in the north-western Moscow as a result of shooting.

RF remedial forces informed “Interfax” agency that at about 12:00 unknown people shot Manoukyan. The latter died on the spot. The criminals immediately fled in the car VAZ-2109.

The police only know that the above-mentioned car belongs to an Armenian who lives in Russia.

#23 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

HRANT AND ARTHUR

When famous journalist Hrant Dink was killed in Istanbul on January 19, another Armenian, not famous in the world, 16 years old Arthur Martirosian was severely killed in Tomilino settlement situated near Moscow. Certainly, the meaning of those events is different. None of them must be ignored. Especially when the murder in Istanbul was a unique event in Turkey during the latest years, while the murders of Armenians in Russia happen everyday. Simply Hrant’s murder was a proper opportunity for our national intellectuals and various strata of society to demonstrate their “patriotism”: as more you curse and damn Turks as more patriot you are. Besides, expressing anger on the occasion of Sumgayit, Genocide or Hrant Dink is harmless; nobody will beat or arrest you for it. But those same intellectuals haven’t held meetings and expressed their anger on Poghos Poghosian’s murder or against unfair elections. It is dangerous; they may lose their warm place in the authority’s pocket. Holding meetings against murders of Armenians in Russia is dangerous as well. As the leadership of that country are the patrons of the above-mentioned intellectuals’ patrons. Consequently, our newspapers won’t ever write “Russians remain Russians”, “Sargis Tkhruni” student club won’t demonstrate “Russia killed Arthur Martirosian” poster, and And Zory Balayan won’t make speeches against “pan-Russism”. Nobody will assure me that the murders of Armenians in Russia have no connection with the policy. Yes, Putin or Ivanov, condemn Nazism by words. But Erdoghan and Gyul do the same. The point is that they encourage those demonstrations by their behavior. And influential persons of Turkey encourage extremism. Read former president of that country Suleiman Demirel’s interview to APA Azerbaijani news agency: “Slander is in the blood of Armenians”, it’s a position of classical racist. The RF State Duma parliamentarians, governors, various officials, who encourage Nazism. Are the fascist of friend country better than Turk fascists. … Maybe Arthur would become a famous figure like Hrant Dink. If he grew up.

#24 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Jan 22 2007, 07:50 PM) View Post

only 1/3 of Armenians in Russia or maybe it was in Moscow are from the Armenia proper. I recently read a very interesting study on this in Russian unfortunately (for those interested ...please google it). The rest (majority) of Armenians come from Georgia, Azerbaijan refugees, Central Asian states, the European ex-Soviet states and of course some have been in Russia for a couple of generations. The 2/3 of Armenians in Russia speak Russian at home and mostly adhere to the Russian culture...in other words...the issue of moving back is probably not realistic.

You're right. Many of those other republics have stopped using Russian as their primary language; so, there's another reason why they can't move back.

It all seems so absurd to me, being an American and being around people of completely different appearances. In my opinion, the physical differences between a Russian and an Armenian are miniscule if you look at the entire spectrum of people in the world. With some Russians, though, it seems that minor differences are blown out of proportion.

#25 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:41 AM

Thu Russians are going to have to come to terms with the fact that their country is a vast, multi-ethnic state. They can either treat the Tatars, Chechens, Altay and Circassians well, or they're all going to want more and more autonomy and ultimately independence.

#26 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

NO TO RUSSIAN CHAUVINISM

article's photo
more images

A number of young people from the youth union «Sargis Tkhrouni» of the -Democrat party held a protest action opposite the Russian Embassy today.

They demanded Russia, the strategic ally of Armenia, «to be more consistent in revealing the murders of a number of Armenians by Russian chauvinist skinheads and to fight against such phenomena». They mentioned about it in their statement too which they handed to the workers of the Russian Embassy.

“If they are not consistent in revealing the murders, we will go on a sit-down strike opposite the building of the Embassy and will hinder the work in any way we can”, said member of the organization Narek Galstyan and cried out “No to Russian Fascism”.

The boys were angry at the fact that the Russian authorities try to give an everyday coloring to the murders. According to the participants of the protest action, it is but a deception, and “They are playing into the hands of chauvinist organizations”. “The murders are committed on nationalist ground. Of course we do not mean to say that the violations are directed against Armenians. But the victims of the skinheads are mainly dark-skinned people. All the same we will fight for the rights of our compatriots”, Narek Galstyan claims.

#27 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

Natives of Caucasus shot at an Armenian in Moscow
12.02.2007 18:05 GMT+04:00 Print version Send to mail In Russian In Armenian

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ An Armenian was assaulted in Moscow. The incident took place at 9.50 a.m. in Rusakovsky street. Two unknown, presumably natives of Caucasus, shot at the Armenian and fled. The injured man was taken to hospital. The police are after an old black Mercedes in which the assassins are supposed to have escaped, report Russian media.

#28 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:06 PM

This doesn't look like a hate crime. Sounds like some mafia thing.

#29 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:31 AM

ARMENIAN KILLED IN MOSCOW

An Armenian citizen was killed in Moscow, “RIA Novosti” reports. “The corpse of Armen Harutyunyan (b.1969) was found at the house entrance with 22 stabs”, the agency reports.

Investigation is under way.

Lefortov Prosecutor’s Office is in charge of the investigation

#30 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

This is all scaring me.

#31 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

RUSSIAN SUPREME COURT PASSED SENTENCE FOR 6 SUSPECTS ON MURDER OF ARMENIAN CITIZEN

article's photo
The Supreme Court brought a verdict of guilty against 6 residents from Podmoskovie for murder of an Armenian citizen, who was killed in a suburban train heading to Odintsovo district in 2005. The Moscow Prosecutor’s Office reported that the 6 residents of Odintsovo district have been sentenced to various, including long-term imprisonment. The age of suspects ranges from 19 to 28, three of which were students of higher institutions and specialized high schools. According to the investigation, the young men, who are followers of radical and nationalistic views, “in advance agreed on joint attacks on persons of non-Slavonic nationality”. They decided to look for a victim in suburban trains of Beloruski direction and to shoot the scene of beating in order to sell it further. During two hours they changed trains and walked through carriages, looking for people with non-Slavonic appearance. Finally in the train heading to “Odintsovo-Bakovka” the young men came across Armenian citizen Samvel Tadevosyan. Attacking the victim the suspects began to beat him with their feet, hands and a metallic chain. They shoot the scene on a digital photo-camera with a video function. After stealing victim’s cell phone, money and documents, the suspects delivered several blows to Tadevosyan’s head and neck with a splinter of a glass bottle, in the result of which he died on the spot. According to investigators, the same night two more people became victims for defendants in trains, including a police lieutenant colonel. They took away victims’ money, valuable things and documents. The Moscow District Court brought a verdict of guilty against the 6 suspects for murder and deliberate medium-scale damnification to health, committed by a group of persons with preliminary agreement on grounds of national hatred, as well as for brigandage, robbery and theft of passport. The Supreme Court of Russian Federation examining appeals generally left unchanged the verdict of lower instances. Defendants Maxim and Aleksey Osipovs and Vladimir Maluntsev have been sentenced accordingly to 11.5, 6.5 and 4.5 years’ of imprisonment in a colony of common regime. The other three juvenile offenders have been sentenced to 9.5, 9 and 4.5 years’ of imprisonment in a colony of common regime. The 7th suspects-Anton Palamarchuk, was sentenced to 2 years’ of imprisonment in a settlement-colony, NEWSru.com reports.

#32 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:18 AM

Killings of Armenians in Russia aren’t manifestation of ‘Armenophobia’
14.03.2007 18:22 GMT+04:00 Print version Send to mail In Russian In Armenian

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The topic of xenophobia is raised during Armenian-Russian talks at all levels, Russian Ambassador to Armenia Nikolay Pavlov told a news conference in Yerevan. The Office of the Russian Prosecutor General and the Interior Ministry take all measures essential for disclosing such crimes, according to him. “It’s regrettable that all this happens in my country. But one should understand that these crimes are conditioned by a transitional period and are not manifestation of ‘Armenophobia’,” the Russian diplomat said reminding that the two recent murders were disclosed and those guilty punished.

At the same time he underscored that criminal collisions, in which Armenians take part, are represented by the Armenian media as xenophobia. “However, citizens should know the difference between criminal activities and xenophobia. Measures to be taken are being elaborated by the Office of the Russian Prosecutor General and the Interior Ministry but documents are not ready yet,” Pavlov said

#33 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

I wouldn't jump to defend these people being killed just because they're Armenian.

These Հայաստանցիs being killed are doing *something* wrong that they're not liked wherever they go. The same is true in L.A. -- Americans don't like them, and I don't like many of them either. Who likes a bunch of unemployed, unfriendly, and aggressive thugs riding around in black Mercedes with tinted windows and loud music and involved in criminal activity? I don't blame the Americans nor the Russians for not liking these people. But unlike Russians who resort to killing them, most Americans had a mass exodus away from places like Glendale in the 90s with the arrival of Russian Armenians (Armenians from Armenia or Russia). They went to places like Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, and Orange County.

I'm sure the reputation they've created in Russia is not much different than the reputation they've created in L.A. (Indeed, the reputation of Armenians in L.A. changed for the worse with the arrival of Russian Armenians in L.A in the 1990s. Now a lot of Armenians walk with their heads low and no longer want to be known as Armenian...)

Places where you don't find Russian Armenians, Armenians are still liked, though: the San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto, Montreal, New Jersey, Lebanon, Syria, French Riviera, to name a few. (Now of course this doesn't apply to all Russian Armenians; I'm sure more than half are the good kind. But that 25 or 30% really are not likeable, and unfortunately that 30% is the group that stands out and gives the rest of us a very, very, very bad name and image in the host country we are living in.)

If you make yourself likeable, then you'll be liked. You create your own reality, and Russian Armenians certainly have created theirs, unfortunately to the detriment of the rest of us.

Edited by Shahan Araradian, 14 April 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#34 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Հայերեն Լեզուն և Թեննիս

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

Shahan jan, sounds to me you like Hayastanci's in general, even if they don't get involved in that kind of stuff... :-\

#35 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:51 PM

P.S. We are ALL Hayastanci's (just like Stepan says smile.gif ). Russian Armenian, Lebanese Armenian... who cares? We are all Hayastanci, and that includes you and me! wink.gif

#36 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Apr 14 2007, 01:51 PM) View Post

P.S. We are ALL Hayastanci's (just like Stepan says smile.gif ). Russian Armenian, Lebanese Armenian... who cares? We are all Hayastanci, and that includes you and me! wink.gif

No I'm not a Հայաստանցի (I was not born in Armenia nor to parents who were). By Հայաստանցի I broadly mean a Russian Armenian (with the Russian Armenia given by its meaning during the 19th century when Armenian was divided among the two ruling empires in the region: Ottoman and Russian empires).

Russian Armenian culture is VERY different than Western Armenian culture or from Persian/Iranian-Armenian culture.

Sorry to sound blunt but if you're telling me they're all the same, then there's something wrong with the way you interpret what culture is, and you're only fooling yourself.

Edited by Shahan Araradian, 14 April 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#37 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

i think you (and the rest of these russian/american people) are just jelous... tongue.gif

#38 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Harut @ Apr 14 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post

i think you (and the rest of these russian/american people) are just jelous... tongue.gif

LOL!

Edited by Shahan Araradian, 14 April 2007 - 02:49 PM.

#39 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Ur way of thinking Shahan jan is wrong. I'm born in the USA, and I grew up here all my life, so that doesn't make me Hayastanci? Stepan is right, wherever you are born, wherever you are raised... if you are Armenian, and you are part of Armenia (Hayastan), then you are HAYASTANci

wink.gif So enough of this division crap, that is why our nationality doesn't move forward. We take one step forward and two steps back. Jisht chem Harut jan?

#40 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

No I'm not a Հայաստանցի (I was not born in Armenia nor to parents who were). By Հայաստանցի I broadly mean a Russian Armenian (with the Russian Armenia given by its meaning during the 19th century when Armenian was divided among the two ruling empires in the region: Ottoman and Russian empires).

Russian Armenian culture is VERY different than Western Armenian culture or from Persian/Iranian-Armenian culture.

Sorry to sound blunt but if you're telling me they're all the same, then there's something wrong with the way you interpret what culture is, and you're only fooling yourself.

The domestic culture of a diaspora is an inevitable adaptation to the dwelling place. It is a result of native culture -which could develop the minority culture either by the means of complementary similarity or contrasting difference- and socio-economic conditions.

Certainly there will be differences between the way Armenians from X and Armenians from Y behave. We all know this. We all see this as well.

Yet I must say Shahan, diminishing the graveness and the immorality of a murder based merely on their origin of the victim a massive, massive assumption. Was the 17 year old really killed because he was a token criminal Eastern/Russian/"Stantsi" Armenian, or because he was Armenian? Does the misbehavior of a ANY group justify ANY such crime?

My friend, your view of the "Russianized Armenian" is a sweeping stereotype, and hints to an unhealthy perspective (and just for the record, I am not from Hayastan or Russia.)

You mention the historic cause of the great schism of Armenians. You say that we were divided, as indeed we were.

Why, then, reemphasize this division and this gap? Why, thence, create even more division?

Do we not relate because of a common denominator? Why cling to details?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users