Photo

Why I Love The Us - Life Is Too Easy Here!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

I just can't believe how easy things are sometimes. I have been doing a few odds and ends projects and I am just amazed at how easy everything has been. ANYTHING I think of, I can usually very easily find it either at local stores, or through the internet which ends up at my door in only a couple of days. Whether it's a kind of nut and bolt that I dreamt of for some project, or some sort of mount to attach something to something else ... you think it, it's available!

Just last night I was thinking it would be nice to have a universal mounting system where I can easily attach my GPS, portable video/mp3 player, satellite radio, and cel phone to the roll bar on my jeep and still have it be flexible enough so that later on, if I get some other gadget, I don't have to get a completely new mount. Sure enough ... went online, did a bit of searching ... and found exactly what I wanted in a matter of minutes.

Sometimes I keep thinking that somethings should perhaps be a bit harder to do as there is almost no joy in the "challenge" anymore. biggrin.gif

But then again, I keep thinking how much it must have sucked to have lived just maybe 30 - 50 years ago (or more). huh.gif

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Aug 23 2007, 03:54 PM)
But then again, I keep thinking how much it must have sucked to have lived just maybe 30 - 50 years ago (or more). huh.gif

People who lived 30 - 50 years ago, felt sorry for those people who lived as many years before them.
30 years later people will feel sorry for us that our life was very primitive, therefore you can't miss something that isn't there.
I bet Shahan will suggest you to get one of those molecular manufacturing machines (Which will be available in 30 years or so) so that you can make your own gadgets. smile.gif

I just came from the airport and it feels good. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

I think a person from 30-50 years ago would have said why the hell I "need" to carry a cel phone, GPS, portable video/music player, satellite radio, and digital camera all the time with me ...

A person 30-50 years from now, will probably say why the hell were all these things separate devices biggrin.gif

As far as Shahan's molecular manufacturing machine, I think that's probably at least a 100 or so years away ... but by that time, China will be the only supplier in the world anyway so it wouldn't matter if we have those machines or not.

#4 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Aug 23 2007, 04:27 PM)
I think a person from 30-50 years ago would have said why the hell I "need" to carry a cel phone, GPS, portable video/music player, satellite radio, and digital camera all the time with me ...

A person 30-50 years from now, will probably say why the hell were all these things separate devices biggrin.gif

As far as Shahan's molecular manufacturing machine, I think that's probably at least a 100 or so years away ... but by that time, China will be the only supplier in the world anyway so it wouldn't matter if we have those machines or not.

40 years ago I had my first palm size transister radio, I thought there was no need for new inventions since I got mine. biggrin.gif

#5 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Aug 23 2007, 01:34 PM)
40 years ago

huh.gif You were around 40 years ago?

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(ExtraHye @ Aug 23 2007, 05:05 PM)

Fortunately smile.gif cheers.gif

#7 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(ExtraHye @ Aug 23 2007, 02:05 PM)

Shushhhhh Amy jan. You might offend him. smile.gif The men around here are very sensitive regarding their ages. Hatkapes Edo qerrin. smile.gif

#8 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Sip jan, agreed times tenfold. smile.gif

#9 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Aug 23 2007, 08:34 PM)
40 years ago I had my first palm size transister radio, I thought there was no need for new inventions since I got mine. biggrin.gif

You guys are so “not with it”.
You may have forgotten that this is the 22nd century.
I just got myself this.
http://www.scienceye...ck/active5.html
Next will be this;
http://www.phonophan.../learnmore.html

tongue.gif smile.gif

#10 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Aug 23 2007, 02:54 PM)
Sometimes I keep thinking that somethings should perhaps be a bit harder to do as there is almost no joy in the "challenge" anymore. biggrin.gif

Can you buy a universally intelligent robot for $15,000 that does all of your manual labor for you? (such as pick fruit from the garden, drive your car to the grocery store, buy your food, come back, prepare food, etc...) wink.gif

#11 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Aug 23 2007, 03:27 PM)

A person living 40 years from now will ask "Why did man ever have to work for another man?" and "Why did man ever have to work (period)."

...In the age of universally intelligent robots, free communication networks, free energy, and molecular manufacturing (with blueprints of ANY gadget traded freely over the Internet in open source models)...

Man in 40 years will be liberated from other men; but that will not come without its dangers. As the corrupt human social hierarchy exploits others, this bad karma will come back to bite it with the availability of these powerful technologies in the hands of individuals and small groups.

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Shahan Araradian @ Aug 23 2007, 10:29 PM)
Can you buy a universally intelligent robot for $15,000 that does all of your manual labor for you? (such as pick fruit from the garden, drive your car to the grocery store, buy your food, come back, prepare food, etc...) wink.gif

Yes!
Her name is Armenouhi
goof.gif

#13 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Aug 23 2007, 02:54 PM)
I just can't believe how easy things are sometimes. I have been doing a few odds and ends projects and I am just amazed at how easy everything has been. ANYTHING I think of, I can usually very easily find it either at local stores, or through the internet which ends up at my door in only a couple of days. Whether it's a kind of nut and bolt that I dreamt of for some project, or some sort of mount to attach something to something else ... you think it, it's available!

P.S. whatever you describe here isn't specific to the U.S. I could be living in Montreal or France or Lebanon and have access to the SAME Internet and the same Amazon.com to order stuff from and delivered to my door.

What U.S. society lacks is the most important thing of all: humanity.

#14 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Shahan Araradian @ Aug 23 2007, 05:36 PM)
P.S. whatever you describe here isn't specific to the U.S. I could be living in Montreal or France or Lebanon and have access to the SAME Internet and the same Amazon.com to order stuff from and delivered to my door.

That is simply NOT true. It is faaaaaaaaaaaar easier to get things shipped within the US than it is to other countries, including Canada. Of course not everything as for example some of my boat parts come FROM canada biggrin.gif As far as Lebanon, I don't know ... I somehow doubt you can get many companies to ship stuff to Lebanon for what it costs to ship within the US huh.gif

#15 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Aug 23 2007, 05:33 PM)
Yes!
Her name is Armenouhi
goof.gif

I was going to say his name is Jose biggrin.gif Why would anyone buy a $15,000 robot when a mexican will do all that for mere chump change?

Also, Shahan, again I HIGHLY doubt your molecular manufacturing or universally intelligent robots will be available in 40 years. In order for things to be readily available in 40 years, the research should be showing some glimpse of such things becoming reality and at least for the universally intelligent robot, there is NO such developments or any hints that such a robot will be in existence any time soon. MAYBE we will have intelligent robots that can drive cars or pick fruit ... but again, I really think the "cheapness" and availability of manual labor will make those markets not very economically viable (i.e. no one will produce those robots as long as we have the Mexicans and the Chinese who are willing to work for far less).

#16 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

By the way, as an example of how things are evolving "technologically", just take a look at your grocery store check out lines ... now, of course it would be trivial to build robots that automate the check out process. But instead, what do we have? "Self checkout" smile.gif What is that saying? That is saying we as humans are much cheaper and much more economical than even these simplest of robots that from the technical perspective are TRIVIAL to build.

Edit: But that will be much more steamlined in the very near future with RF ID. Just pick your stuff and walk out the store. You will be charged the proper amount automatically as you walk out.

Edited by Sip, 23 August 2007 - 08:10 PM.

#17 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

Sip are you in LA - i so a jeep in San Valley / in a parking lat of an Industrial Metal Supply Co. man it looked just like yours

#18 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

No jeep is still in WI ... must have been some other really cool dude's jeep tongue.gif

#19 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(Shahan Araradian @ Aug 23 2007, 05:33 PM)
... free communication networks, free energy ...

Let's assume for now there will be some amazing discovery that is yet to be done that will take care of the "free" energy thing ... What makes you think communication networks will ever be free? Sure cost of bandwidth is dropping but at the same time our level of bandwidth use is going up. I am paying a lot more for communication now than I was 10 years ago ... but I am doing a lot more of it. What makes you think people will be working their asses off and installing and maintaining the communication infrastructures for "free"? Do you really think we are going to embrace the star trek model of society in 40-50 years where no one will care about money and everyone will just work for the good of society? That kind of thinking is inherently flawed since it ignores some very basic human traits: Laziness, selfishness, and stupidity. biggrin.gif

Edited by Sip, 23 August 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#20 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(Shahan Araradian @ Aug 23 2007, 03:29 PM)

Shahan, I guess you don't know about LG Internet refrigerator

http://www.lginterne...o.uk/fridge.asp

refrigerator with an Internet connection, that knows whats stored inside and for how long. Reminds you if you're running low on apricots and if you have an account with an online retailer, Albertsons.com for example, you can make an order from your fridge and Jose will be deliver it to your door.

Edited by Avo47, 23 August 2007 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users