#1 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 11:10 PM

ISRAEL SAID TO SEIZE ARMENIAN PATRIARCHATE LAND NEAR BETHLEHEM

Over the past few days, the Israeli army has seized lands and properties belonging to the Armenian Patriarchate in the Barun Dayr area north of the Ayidah refugee camp in Bethlehem and south of Al-Tantur on the pretext of erecting the separation fence between the Palestinian areas and Jerusalem, the Jerusalem0-based Al-Quds Arabic language newspaper reported.

Maj-Gen Yitzhaq Eytan, the military commander of the West Bank, and Defense Ministry Director Gen Amos Yaron issued military orders confiscating the Patriarchate lands. Mazin Qubati, the Patriarchate's attorney, told Al-Quds that these measures are aimed at seizing the Patriarchate's headquarters, which is used for worship, and turn it into the Israeli army's headquarters.

He said that the Patriachate's representatives held intensive contacts over the past two weeks with the Israeli Defense Ministry and army in a bid to convince them to annul the military orders, but they have not agreed. He added that as a result of the intransigent Israeli position and the dead end reached in the negotiations on the matter, the Patriarchate decided to petition the Israeli High Court of Justice to revoke the orders and appeal to local and international public opinion. He affirmed the Patriarchate's total rejection of a separation fence running through its lands.

© Copyright AZG

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 09:22 AM

YEREVAN CAREFULLY OBSERVES ON EVENTS CONCERNED WITH ALIENATION OF JERUSALEM ARMENIAN PATRIARCHATE LAND

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Yerevan carefully observes on the events in Israel concerned with alienation of land belonging to the Armenian patriarchate of Jerusalem. Armenian MFA press secretary Dzyunik Aghajanian has stated that regarding the information on seizure of the Armenian patriarchate's land by the Israeli Army. According to her, at present, the work with Israeli authorities to find out the real situation as well as the reasons and aims of the activities of the Israeli Army are conducted through diplomatic channels. It should be reminded that the military authorities of Israel have stated about their plan to erect a separation wall between Palestine and Israel in that territory.

<!> Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to "PanARMENIAN.Net"

#3 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:47 PM

Let them do as they wish, because every such step (confiscation of property from others) brings them closer to their demise.

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 16 July 2002 - 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Accelerated:
Let them do as they wish, because every such step (confiscation of property from others) brings them closer to their demise.

There is a saying that loosely translates;
"When the dog senses its imminent demise, or when the dog is overcome with a deathwish it soils at the door of a church/mosque"

#5 Rubo

Rubo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Art & Armenian issues

Posted 18 July 2002 - 07:06 PM

The impression I get is that Armenia does not have a solid mechanism to protect its interests in Jerusalem and Washington. Our patriarchi deserves our support and no way I will settle for unjust confiscation of our properties and lands in Israel. They have been confiscating Arab lands for years and this practice is not new! Interestingly Israeli Occupiers in West bank and Gaza are called settlers! How absurd. They go and occupy a land, build mini island states within sea of Arabs and they are called peace-loving Settlers. This is another twist of ironies of media brainwashing.
Voghjuin bolorin Argishti

#6 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Making fun or conservatives and seeking progressive change while preaching endogamy and cultural conservation in the diaspora.

Posted 18 July 2002 - 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rubo:
The impression I get is that Armenia does not have a solid mechanism to protect its interests in Jerusalem and Washington. Our patriarchi deserves our support and no way I will settle for unjust confiscation of our properties and lands in Israel. They have been confiscating Arab lands for years and this practice is not new! Interestingly Israeli Occupiers in West bank and Gaza are called settlers! How absurd. They go and occupy a land, build mini island states within sea of Arabs and they are called peace-loving Settlers. This is another twist of ironies of media brainwashing.
Voghjuin bolorin Argishti

that's one of the things that has always interested me. Armenians take back Artsakh, we're aggressors, Jews instigate wars and they're settlers, like the pilgrims or something.

#7 joseph

joseph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:SOCCER

Posted 18 July 2002 - 10:02 PM

I wish Hagarag gets envolved in this discussion.Aren't you guys woried that you might be called'jew Haters' or 'Anti Sematiks'or even 'Arab lovers'.When they take land from the Plestinians it is in self defence,and if any one fights them he is a "Teghoghist" the way 'Sharon' pronounse the word 'Terorist',they are peace lovers specialy'Sharon'who will take the West Bank and kick the whole pupulation out to Jordan because he loves peace????

#8 edward demian

edward demian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:history, int. trade, recycling equipment.

Posted 21 July 2002 - 07:23 AM

Is seems to me that we may have made some chices in the past that may have brought us to this. As Armenians we should have clearly stayed newtral in the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. Yet, it seems that the Armenian community in Jerusalem has been aligning itself with the palestinians. Perhaps we are begining to see the fruit of that mistake. The Jews are there to stay. Whether you like Jews or not, you have to admire their success in getting their lands back. We have real estate in Jerusalem and Bethlehem but not the population to support it. We should relocate some Armenian refugees from other parts of the world to those lands in order to solidify our hold on them.
The Armenian government should become more proactive in these kinds of affairs. Perhaps establish a "Department of Diasporan Affairs", with Cabinet level staus. Right mow we are faint screams in the dark. If we get sucked into this conflict we will loose. Even if the Palestinians were to win, and we ended up on the winning side, we will still loose in the long run, because the majority of the Palestinians are Moslems, and there is no future with the Moslems for the Armenians.

#9 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 21 July 2002 - 12:11 PM

There was a photo about a year ago showing Torkom Manoogian walking arm-in-arm with Arafat. Then Arafat stating that the Armenians and Palestinians are "one people." We choose to supress the scientific studies that show that WE and the Kurds are closer to the Jews than all other peoples on earth, with the exception of a small African tribe. So, if we claim to be "one" with the Palestinians, we will be treated as the Palestinians are treated.

#10 joseph

joseph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 12:29 PM

Edward,you should be the example and ride the white horse and leed the Armenian Refugies there,it is easy to ask other people to do what you think is right whithout being in their shoose.

#11 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 08:42 PM

I also think we should stay neutral in this conflict, we certainly have many more pressing issues and we dont need another.

#12 joseph

joseph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 10:30 PM

Edward,please give me one example in those hundreds of years of Arab rull in the Holyland that the Arabs saized any land or churches or homes that belong to Armenians.After the otomans lost to the Arabs they never touch any thing that belong to Armenians as far as i know,please correct me if i am wrong.

#13 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:36 PM

JERUSALEM’S ARMENIAN PATRIARCHATE TO APPLY TO INTERNATIONAL INSTANCES

‘Mother See Holy Etchmiadzin closely watches the developments taking place in Israel connected with the recent attempt of the Israeli army to seize the lands that belong to Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem and is well informed about the process of the legal proceedings being held at Israel’s court concerning the matter.

All Armenian Catholicos Karekin II frequently contacts the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem Archbishop Torgom Manukian and receives updated information about the situation in Jerusalem’,- says the July 22 news release issued by the press office of St. Etchmiadzin.

The Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem had not issued a corresponding statement concerning the incident up to late night of July 22, so we were unable to find out what decision the Israeli court had made on the issue.

Last weekend the Israeli foreign ministry sent an explanation letter to Armenia foreign ministry as an answer to official Yerevan’s inquiry into the matter. According to Armenian foreign minister Vartan Oskanian the Israeli authorities are at present negotiating with the Armenian Patriarchate and hopefully they will come to a mutually acceptable decision.

Below we give the news issued in the online Armenian News Network Groong on the matter:

Kirkor Baronder was one of the more renowned Patriarchs of Jerusalem who was the builder of the Armenian Monastery near the Church of Nativity. He was a great figure in the monasticism of the Holy Land and established his hermitage on the premises of the `Baron Der' land in question.

The Armenian Patriarchate purchased the olive orchard in 1641. On the premises of this land is found the summer residence of the Armenian Patriarch, which also serves as the summer spiritual retreat for the Armenian clergy and the seminarians. On the premises are also found the cave cells of the hermits and 20 other man-made caves used by monks in the early Christian period. The area of the land is 28 acres (150,000 sq. meters) and has 1800 olive trees, many of them of old age.

The Israeli authorities, without the consulting and knowledge of the Armenian Patriarchate, have demolished the enclosing ramparts and have bulldozed a road in the orchard next to the residence of the Patriarch, and have covered the cells with earth and uprooted hundreds of ancient olive trees. In the last month the Armenian Patriarchate has been notified that Israel will seize 48 dunams (about 10 acres) to be used for building the wall.

According to the current Israeli plan the proposed wall will cross in a zigzag fashion through the olive orchard thus rendering it unusable in the future. The position of the wall, which would be in the physical proximity of the Patriarchal residence, will deprive the clergy of the St. James Brotherhood from their annual spiritual retreat.

The Patriarchate has appealed to the Israeli High Court for rectification and revision of the possession of the present wall in order to be able to use the Patriarchal residence and the adjoining land. The seizure of this land, which is of great historical significance for the Armenians and Christianity in the Holy Land, has aroused great emotions among the Christian community of the Holy Land.

In the event of a negative posture by the Israeli High Court, the Armenian Patriarchate intends to appeal to international force and organize protest meetings.

© Copyright AZG

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:38 PM

ECHMIADZIN CLOSELY FOLLOWING EVENTS AROUND ARMENIAN CHURCH LANDS IN ISRAEL

The Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin has been closely following recent events in Israel dealing with the lands of the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the ongoing appeal in Israeli courts, a press release, issued by the central headquarters of the Armenian Church In Echmiadzin today said.

His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians is in constant and continuing contact with His Beatitude Archbishop Torkom Manoogian, Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem, and receives daily updates on the current situation, it read, in particular.

© Copyright AZG

#15 edward demian

edward demian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 07:26 PM

These is ample evidence that the Arab conquest of Armenia was brutal swift and deep. There is much evidence of that in the history books. However, because of the conquest and subsequent expulsion of the Arabs by the Turks, we have forgotten that part of our history. Today, Arabs are not concerned with their Christian minorities, but it is Islam that threatens the Christians, not the Arabs. Some of us Armenians that grew up in Arab lands seem to be somewhat enfatuated with the Arabs which are basicly a laid back bunch typical of peoples from hot tropical places. But place a little rabble rousing Mahdi type in their midst and they will rise up and butcher anyone non muslim in their path. We exist at their pleasure and they view us and our successes in their midst with amusement; much as a benevolent despot tolerates a court jester. We, as Christians live as second class citizens in the realm of Islam. We are Europeans, and we better remember that because thats where our future lies.

#16 edward demian

edward demian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 07:30 PM

I immigrated twice in my life and contemplating immigrating again. So I'm sure that we would have no trouble finding Armenians stuck in the four corners of Siberia freezing and starving, willing to immigrate to some place warmer if not better.

#17 joseph

joseph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 09:47 PM

Edward,I agree with you but i still think who ever wants to go needs a wise leader,how about leeding those people your self, be a good example,call your friends in the israely government and fined if they allow non jews to come to their land and let me know,by the way in our history did we qonquer other nations that lived around us,and since you know history can you tell me if you know how we treated them,i want to learn.We did have wars with the Rusians and the Greeks,the Greeks fought against us because we were diferent christians'Monophist'.The Europians are trying to have good relation with the arabs,what do you think about that.

#18 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 10:23 PM

quote:
We, as Christians live as second class citizens in the realm of Islam.
In a realm of Judaism we would not be considered citizens at all.

#19 joseph

joseph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 07:49 AM

Accelerated:you are 100% wright,in the realm of judaism we will be considerd as"Subspiecies"the same way the blacks were considerd here for long time.I can see how many people are brain washed,people that never met an Arab make ideas about them by reading few books or news papers,i lived in Jordan most of my life, Armenians owned busneses,land,schools and churches and we were not considerd second class citizens,late king Husains photographer was armenian"Zuhrab",we were loved and respected by everyone,this is my personal experiance.

#20 Rubo

Rubo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Art & Armenian issues

Posted 23 July 2002 - 08:24 AM

Hagarag>So, if we claim to be "one" with the Palestinians, we will be treated as the Palestinians are treated.

Dear Hagarag, your analysis is fundamentally flawed. Armenian concerns are not equitable with Palestinian issues although they intersect at times. Jewish lobbing against Armenian interests has nothing to do with Palestinians and everything to do with Israeli ally Turkey. Please do not confuse the issue, incidentally why are you quiet about Israeli attempts to confiscate Armenian lands?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users