Female Kings (women tashnags)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 25 June 2001 - 10:11 AM

I have just opened this for now, havent got much to write at the moment. This is a great topic. While searching for information I found a woman named Kouioumyan in one of the search results! Manybe I cum from the tashnags!

Feel free If you have any contributions before me.

#2 Paul bunyan

Paul bunyan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Nautical archaeology and Armenia

Posted 26 June 2001 - 06:52 AM

how about female warlords? they had them in Europe like Boudicca of England or Joan of Arc who commanded an entire Army and confered with the top eschelon including the King not bad for a teenager, there was a Queen Zenobia who fought Rome for 14 years and the er..., "unforgetable", Cleopatra, there is painting in Armenia of the battle of Avayair
of Vartan Mamigonian fame one of his
fighters is clearly female.
Does anyone know her name and story?

no hashish forever

#3 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul bunyan:
how about female warlords? they had them in Europe like Boudicca of England or Joan of Arc who commanded an entire Army and confered with the top eschelon including the King not bad for a teenager, there was a Queen Zenobia who fought Rome for 14 years and the er..., "unforgetable", Cleopatra, there is painting in Armenia of the battle of Avayair
of Vartan Mamigonian fame one of his
fighters is clearly female.
Does anyone know her name and story?

no hashish forever

I have heard of one Armenian queen her name was Mary-Louys and she was .... pretty ... pretty nasty woman? Anyone knows about who am talking?

#4 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi

Meg Hadig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Yes Taguhi Pid Darnam

Posted 03 July 2001 - 01:51 PM

I know, but wo'nt tell you

#5 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 03 July 2001 - 03:11 PM

WAR

It was in the mid-fifth century, the time of Vartan Mamigonioan, Armenia was divided between the Eastern Roman (later Byzantine) Empire and the
Persian Empire.

Though much of Armenia was formally ruled by the Zoroastrian Persians, (which, Armenia was in war against at the time) the authority of the Armenian Church and the Armenian
princely families (the nakharars) was not disrupted.

This situation began to change around the mid-fifth century.

RELIGION

The Persian Shah
Yazdgerd II increased the tax burden on the country and especially on the Church. Following these disturbances the order came from Persia that the Armenians abandon Christianity once and for all and accept the Zoroastrian faith.

As Yuzbashian explained, this ultimatum was designed to “make the Armenians ordinary subjects of the Iranian realm” and to
destroy forever the Armenians’ sense of national consciousness, as so many before them and before them also have tried to do. When religion is thrusted on a nation, it has more of a political hold over people than politics.

Christianity had been the state religion in Armenia for a century and a half,
and all of the structures of Armenian society were constructed around the church. Thus, to abandon the Church and take on Zoroastrianism
would have meant, in essence, to cease to be Armenian.

A group of Armenian nakharars traveled to the Persian capital and were forced to renounce their faith; they returned to Armenia with
a group of Magians (Zoroastrian priests) who had the task of converting the Armenian people. The presence of the Magians on Armenian soil brought about the beginnings of the rebellion throughout the country, and the nakharars who had renounced Christianity.

VARTAN MAMIGONIAN
Vartan Mamigonian, was indeed one of these nakharars. She had returned to the Church. One of these nakharars, Vasak Siuni, who had served as the marzpan in Armenia, later betrayed the movement and sided with the Persians. Which one of these woman are true? Both of them? Neither? I'll leave that up to you to decide, and continue with the story.

FEDAYI

Vartan Mamigonian, in late May/early June 451, as the "sparapet" (commander in Cheif) led the Armenians in the Battle of Avarayr. The persian losses were so great that the rebellion did not end there: it contunued till the Autumn of that same year, and Armenia remained Christian after this.

A true soldier is not one that never fails, but is one that is not scared of failiure. Vartan Mamigonian had decided to show Armenia that she was ready to fight for something which was important to her and to lead other people in fighting against what was important to them too: everybody had won simply because they had gone that far.

#6 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 03:17 PM

She died on the battle feild and her army were technically beaten, but the persians did not win either.

#7 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 06:05 PM

I understand the speculation as to whether Vatan was a man or a woman. Garo says not and Paul saya yes. Has anybody got any vital evidence that says Vartan was NOT a man? If so please show!

#8 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Making fun or conservatives and seeking progressive change while preaching endogamy and cultural conservation in the diaspora.

Posted 03 July 2001 - 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
I understand the speculation as to whether Vatan was a man or a woman. Garo says not and Paul saya yes. Has anybody got any vital evidence that says Vartan was NOT a man? If so please show!

all pictures show he is a man

#9 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 06:46 AM

AHA Tigrannes, got you! Wasn't it you that said I'd be beck? talk about the pot calling the kettle burnt!

Anyway Paul says he can show pictures of HER "clearly a woman"

#10 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 04 July 2001 - 12:47 PM

It is really nice to see you are back, Kazza.

I have read that there is a book called "Queens of Armenia" by Haig Khachatrian. Published in Yerevan, in 1998.

All the pictures of Vartan I have seen are invented (and rather silly) 19th century ones, dressed in the armour of medieval Europe.

Aparently Queen Katranide of Ani, the woman responsible for the completion of the Ani cathedral, was buried with her feet nailed together to show that even after death she was dedicated to Christ. But maybe the story is fiction, because there is no mention of this discovery in Marr's account of the Ani excavations.

Steve

#11 Paul bunyan

Paul bunyan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 11:55 AM

No, no, no, what I said was one of the fighters, of his, command, one of the officiers of the troops was clearly
female, in the painting, I mean if Joan of Arc at 17 could lead the french army into battle, why could not Vartan Mamigonian have a female warrior princess in his officer class.
Armenia sure could use Vartan Mamigonian as president,.. if only
he weren't dead!
No hashish OR George dubya Bush forever

#12 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi

Meg Hadig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 09:28 AM

Vartan Mamigonian was man
He had females with him
They were ''amazonouhi''ner.
If you have trouble to understand the word, don't hessitate to ask me.

#13 Paul bunyan

Paul bunyan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 11:58 PM

you mean Amazons like "Zena, warrior princess" on tv do you know what their names were?

#14 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi

Meg Hadig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, like Zena (from Dragon's country), and may me more powerful than her... All are named ''DIGNAYK PAPGASOUNK HAYOTS ASHKHARHI", by Yeghishe Badmich, but the real image of armenian amazonouhis you can find in VARTANANK for Terenik Temirjian. The book Is based on historical evidences and facts.

Have a nice reading.

#15 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi

Meg Hadig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 12:55 PM

More detail...
The woman face in the picture mentioned probably is Vartan's mother, who was leading the amazonouhis group and was known as ''Didnants digin'', or ''Medzun Digin''. She was great worrior, she pushed her son in the battle and was fighting beside him.

Armenian women are more powerful than men in all centuries

#16 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 05 July 2001 - 01:14 PM

what did you say??????????

#17 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi