Goodbye! wink.gif

#43 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Ok that's it ... now we have to get rid of this WHOEL thread. Thanks a LOT Dan rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Very interesting ... Domino, why do I get the feeling you'll be sleeping like a baby tonight. smile.gif

#44 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

You guys should know that this bill received applause several times, MP Assadourian got a standing ovation, as did the other MP Dalphond-Guiral..

I was shocked to see that many of the high-ranking Liberals came up and voted in favor of this bill, this is a BIG deal it does not happen very often for so many top dogs to come out and vote against the party line, this is a great day.

#45 Arakadz

Arakadz

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:BANNED - Suspend Account - BANNED

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Apr 21 2004, 05:02 PM)
Ok that's it ... now we have to get rid of this WHOEL thread. Thanks a LOT Dan rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

I meant to say "post" not "thread", just to clarify. tongue.gif

#46 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:31 PM

Great job everyone!!!! Looks like all the hard work has paid off!!! clap.gif cheers.gif

#47 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Arakadz @ Apr 21 2004, 04:52 PM)
Uhmm, this is Dan - allow me to just post this (I know I am banned, but I wanted to say this anyway, and you guys can remove it if you want to), but WOW!! I can't describe my feelings on this.  huh.gif  huh.gif  huh.gif

All the hard work by Armenians in Canada has paid off in the end. Kudos to all the folks who did all the work on it. Kudos to Mr. Assadourian. What a great day.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif And allow me to THANK all the French Canadians who voted in favour, it seemed like 99% of those with French background (/surnames) were FOR it.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

I can't even express how relieved I am. What a bad day for the idiots Art Eggleton and Judy Sgro. Anyhow, this isn't a time for grudges against those who voted against the bill. Just... WOW!!!!  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  cool.gif

OK, I'm done. You can remove this thread if you wish... My apologies.  cool.gif

Goodbye!  wink.gif

Get your @ss out of here. I am in good mood so don't make that change, and I have one place where individuals like you are kept out to not polute.

I leave the members of this board to read what Mr. Dan has writen in a Shoah revisionist web-site:

"Another reason I compared the two is the fact that there are many bills and motions presented in parliaments that are being debated, and I see this as a dangerous step towards criminalizing the questioning of the Armenian genocide, besides the fact that I don't think it is proven that the Armenian genocide really took place in order that it be RECOGNIZED by governments! It is the same pressurization and anti-revisionist tactics that they are using."

The hypocrith is now here telling us how happy he is.

Sip, I am angry at you and other moderators, after what this individual has done, how can he get his post left here intact. mad.gif

Edited by Fadix, 21 April 2004 - 06:04 PM.

#48 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (wh00t @ Apr 21 2004, 05:05 PM)
You guys should know that this bill received applause several times, MP Assadourian got a standing ovation, as did the other MP Dalphond-Guiral..

I was shocked to see that many of the high-ranking Liberals came up and voted in favor of this bill, this is a BIG deal it does not happen very often for so many top dogs to come out and vote against the party line, this is a great day.

That was really a surprise, I was sure the motion was to be defeated after the unoficial voice vote yesterday. I still hardly realise it really happened.

BTW, how are you doing bro. biggrin.gif Long time no speak.

#49 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Apr 21 2004, 06:02 PM)
Sip, I am angry at you and other moderators, after what this individual has done, how can he get his post left here intact. mad.gif

Come on relax. He did say he wouldn't come back unless Movses went and begged him to come back. So obviously Movses has begged him and he has accepted Movseses deep appologies and come back ... so talk to Mos tongue.gif blink.gif wink.gif

#50 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (wh00t @ Apr 21 2004, 03:42 PM)
ADOPTED!!!!!!!!!!! VIVE LE CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wh00t, so great to see you...

#51 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,290 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Apr 21 2004, 03:41 PM)
Canada recognise officially the genocide.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Get the TURKS!!!

cheers.gif

#52 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Apr 22 2004, 12:13 AM)
Wh00t, so great to see you...

Great too see you too Azat biggrin.gif How've you been doing??

I am smack dab in the middle of exams but I just had to take time off to watch the development of this most momentous occasion. I am very proud of this country right now, the way the MPs were flashing smiles and thumbs-up to Assadourian, the applause, and also the multipartisan support. You can't imagine how shocked I was to see guys like Cauchon and Dhaliwal stand up during the "yeas".. I was like did I just see that??

First the New York Times, now this.. these past few days have produced the most significant events for the advancement of the Armenian cause since the filming of ARARAT. Right in time for April 24th.

Now to sit back and enjoy the threats, condemnations and ambassador recall (possibly) from Turkey.

#53 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (wh00t @ Apr 21 2004, 06:25 PM)
Now to sit back and enjoy the threats, condemnations and ambassador recall (possibly) from Turkey.

Yeap! I will sit and watch the show just like you... don't forget the popcorns. biggrin.gif

#54 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,290 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Arakadz @ Apr 21 2004, 03:52 PM)
Bla Bla Bla

My apologies. Bla la la la

Goodbye! wink.gif

Lord FedX may I go back to work now???

#55 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

Congratulations everyone! This is a great day for Canadians and CanArmenians (even the French ones wink.gif ) thumbsup.gif

whoot, welcome back smile.gif

biggrin.gif:D

#56 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

Wow, such a good news! Domino, you had me believed that it won't pass, you were too angry bud biggrin.gif Maybe the MPs saw your angry comments on this board and went on to do the right thing tongue.gif

OK, congrats to everyone. The resolution has visited North America now!

#57 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

I share your joys!Another brick has fallen.

#58 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,290 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:57 AM

CANADA RECOGNIZES ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

--NATO member joins growing number of nations officially recognizing Turkey's crime against humanity

--ANCA Praises ANC of Canada for success in two Decades-long effort

OTTAWA (ANCA)--With an overwhelmingly favorable vote of 153 to 68 in Parliament today, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) member Canada joined the growing number of nations that have formally recognized the Armenian Genocide, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).

The motion reads, simply "That this House acknowledges the Armenian genocide of 1915 and condemns this act as a crime against humanity.' "Armenians in America and throughout the world welcome this historic step by Canada," said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the ANCA. "The Canadian Parliament, in rejecting intense Turkish government pressure, took an important step in further isolating Turkey for its shameful, international campaign of genocide denial."

Today's action, which followed yesterday's second reading of the Armenian Genocide Resolution, Bill M-380, is the culmination of more than twenty years of work by the Armenian National Committee of Canada, (ANCC) in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and throughout the country. An ANCC team has been in the nation's capital for the past several weeks representing the community's views on this matter. Bill M-380 was introduced last year by Madeleine Dalphond-Guiral (Bloc Québecois), seconded by Sarkis Assadurian (Liberal), Alexa McDonogugh (National Democratic Party), Jason Kenney (Conservative Party). On February 21st, the Parliament held its first reading, which included an hour of debate on the measure. Among those speaking in favor of the Resolution during the first reading were Derek Lee (Liberal), Eleni Bakopnaos (Liberal), Francine Lalonde (BQ), Stockwell Day (PC) and the Hon, Lorne Nystrom (NDP).

The governing Liberal leadership paved the way for this vote by allowing a "free vote," meaning that individual members are allowed to vote their conscience, without any pressure or negative repercussions from their respective party leaderships.

#59 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,290 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:01 AM

Commons vote recognizes Armenian genocide as "crime against humanity"

ALEXANDER PANETTA
Canadian Press

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada became one of few countries to formally recognize the genocide of Armenian Turks during the First World War in a strongly worded motion adopted 153-68 in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

Government members were discouraged from voting for the motion, which is sure to anger a Turkish government that has never recognized the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians starting in 1915.

Following a charged debate at their weekly closed-door caucus meeting, Liberal backbenchers voted massively in favour while the party's cabinet contingent rejected the Bloc Quebecois motion.

Prime Minister Paul Martin was absent during the politically sensitive vote but Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham defended the government's opposition.

The Turkish government has warned that recognizing the genocide could have economic consequences and Graham said he wanted to maintain good relations with Turkey.

"Turkey is an important NATO ally in a region where it is a Muslim country with a moderate government," he said.

"What we seek to do in our foreign policy is to encourage the forward dimension, we're forward-looking. We'd like our Armenian friends and our Turkish friends to work together to put these issues in the past."

The motion read: "That this House acknowledges the Armenian genocide of 1915 and condemns this act as a crime against humanity."

The Turkish government rejects the charge of genocide as unfounded and says that while 600,000 Armenians died, 2.5 million Muslims perished in a period of civil unrest.

Unlike the Liberal government most opposition MPs - including Conservative Leader Stephen Harper - voted in favour of the motion, which places Canada in a category of only about two dozen countries to have recognized the Armenian genocide.

The United Nations has also recognized the massacre, and Armenians have been fighting for decades throughout the world for that sort of acknowledgement.

One opposition critic labelled the prime minister "hypocritical" for promising more free votes and then forcing ministers to toe the line on such a matter of deep personal conscience.

"It's a terrible double standard for Paul Martin to force his ministers to vote against it and not even show up himself," said Tory foreign affairs critic Stockwell Day.

"That is a hypocritical double standard."

Liberal Hedy Fry supported the motion but said it's important to note the atrocities were carried out under the Ottoman empire, which has faded into history and was long ago replaced by a modern Turkish state.

"I think we need to recognize the past," she said.

"I think it doesn't mean we've broken ties with the current regime in Turkey. They are our colleagues, they are our NATO allies. They are a moderate, Muslim government and I think we need to work with them.

Recognizing what happened in the Ottoman empire shouldn't affect Canada's diplomatic relations with Turkey, she said.

Fry and many other former Liberal cabinet ministers who are now backbenchers also voted in favour, including Martin Cauchon, Stephane Dion, Maurizio Bevilacqua, Lyle Vanclief, Lawrence MacAulay, Herb Dhaliwal and David Kilgour

#60 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:22 AM

Wonderful news biggrin.gif

Congratulations to all that made this happen. Another step has been taken towards worldwide recognition.

Edited by gurgen, 22 April 2004 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users