• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alla

Alla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 01:12 AM

Did any of you guys watch Turkey: Religion, Society and Politics on C-Span today @ 6pm?

#2 -e-

-e-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 02:35 AM

LOL yeah, i did. the turks said ataturk, the founder of modern turkish republic, is called a dictator, but he loved his people. the turks said that the army has the final say in just about everything but we are still a democratic country. the turks said we have problems with the armenians, the greeks, the kurds, the arabs, european union, and iran...but we still have many friends. the turks said the war against sadam harms the turkish interests, but we'll support u.s. . the turks said we are part european and part asian country, while 98% of the people in turkey are muslims(identity crisis...). the turks said we are in a war with the kurds and we lost 30,000 people without ever mentioning that those 30,000 were kurds killed by the turkish soldiers

:)the show was a mess. these poor people were contradicting themselves when talking about their life and identity. no armenian, or a greek could have harm the turks the way they did to themselves.

#3 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:42 AM

I watched the whole thing. The best part was when all the Armenians and Greeks were calling in and grilling the university chair. He was visibly annoyed from the start, and after about the third consecutive call where he heard the words "Armenian Genocide", the look on his face was priceless. Very irritated.

Also, the last call of the show was quite interesting. The guy claimed to have gone to Turkey and "as an American" (he repeated the quote several times), he felt a certain resentment by the Turkish people toward him because of his nationality. Then, conveniently, he goes on to talk about Midnight Express, Turkey's poor human rights record, and of course, their lack of willing to face their bloody past. Once he said "Armenian Genocide" the panelist cut him off and said "let's stop right there". The guy was obviously Armenian.

#4 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:55 AM

Yeah - I saw it -and agree with above comments. It basically was a fluff piece - "The Turks are our Friends" type of thing - what can you say. They deftly avoided any real examination of the Kurdish, Cyprus or Armenian issues - though the one guy from Leigh University (?) did have a good answer at one point indicating that there is more openess and discussion of the Armenian issue - particularly among Turkish Academia - though he added that these academics have come under intense media critiscim. Yeah that lastcaller was pretty good.

The show will replay Saturday (Today) at 1 PM I think.

#5 Rubo

Rubo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Art & Armenian issues

Posted 02 November 2002 - 09:37 AM

Very interesting but too bad I am too broke to have cable...but gathering from your inputs I got some idea.Thanks

#6 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Making fun or conservatives and seeking progressive change while preaching endogamy and cultural conservation in the diaspora.

Posted 02 November 2002 - 09:54 AM

I really wanted to call in, but I couldn't afford it, so I guy on my floor said I could use his calling card if I wanted. I was ready to call, but when the calls started pouring in it was just a bunch of pissed off Armenians. God, I love that.

#7 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2002 - 10:21 AM

Watching it right now from

http://www.c-span.or...ch/cspan_wm.asp

#8 Alla

Alla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 04:42 PM

I nearly feel from the chair when he said that in 1919 the Armenians along with other neighbors tried to get rid of the turkish nation by attacking Turkey
I loved how the guy was annoyed after the 3dr chall when he rolled his eyes i was laughing my a** off
I thought hat it was rude that he didn't answer nearly most of the questions realted to the ARmenian genocide.
He also didn't tell the truth about the Genocide being number of reasons of EU's of turkey.

One thing that i notieced is that Turkey doesn't fully deny teh genocide like it used to. I guess they came to realize that they can't and won't escape the past and sooner or later they will recognize it for their own good.

#9 Alla

Alla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 04:46 PM

He also didn't tell the truth about the Genocide being number of reasons of EU's of turkey.

He also didn't tell the truth about the Genocide being number of reasons that the turkish
government isn't allowed to enter the EU.

#10 -e-

-e-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 09:03 PM

No Alla jan, NO!!! The turks don't fully deny the genocide because they want us to be involved in having a trash talk with them. TARC is the best example of how dirty the turks can get. They just simply want to waste a time for the purpose of gaining some grounds. You think they like to see the Armenians to make movies such as Ararat? Do you think they want the europeans to have a game against the turks? The turks want to tell You and I that now we are friends and what happened in the past has nothing to do with the present. The mentality of the turks haven't been changed for centuries. They still close Armenian schools one after anohter. They still destroy or claim an ownership to our churches. The turks are simply afraid of changes. They have nothing to rely on once they come of out their bloody skin. Nothing they own has been built or created by the turks. They are scared to admit that they have done nothing good for the mankind. You think a character like that can adopt to a normal way of life???

#11 Alla

Alla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 01:30 AM

hell no
I just wish that they would recognize the genocide in my lifetime.

#12 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 02:06 AM

Anyone know if this thing is still available on the C-Span website? ... I searched there but it doesn't look like they have it ... Domino, did you watch it live online?

#13 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:19 PM

Nope Sip, unfortunitally, I have not found it in the archives, I saw it live.

If you wanted to see it for the phone calls, you have missed a little, but if you wanted to see it for its analyses(historical etc...) you have missed nothing.

The only worthy part, was one call from an individual to ask how come a thousand of years before, there was many people(Armenians Greek etc...) and now more then 98 % are Muslim, it was the question I think that gave the hardest time to them... other then this few second of jow I had having fun over the person that was trying to answer, the rest was just 2 hours of unworthy and non-constructive exchanges, that everytime it was starting to be interesting, it was cut.

[ November 06, 2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Domino ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users