Photo

Assisted Suicide

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Assisted Suicide

Assisted Suicide

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 11 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

Do you agree or disagree, and why.

#2 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 02:56 PM

I think I agree. People should have the choice to do whatever they want with their life. And if they are not in a position to decide, whatever is good for the patient (i.e. less painful) should be done, IMO. :D

#3 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:19 PM

Spend a few years living with an aging loved with a degenerative mental or neuromuscular disease, and it will change your outlook. I used to think that euthanasia was absolutely out of the question - i no longer feel that way. But I DO believe that this is VERY touchy - you just can't go putting people to sleep once they've outlived their 'usefulness'. People should only be euthanised under the rarest of circumstances...

#4 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:35 PM

I agree with vava. My friend died a while back, not by assisted suicide, but if you could see the amount of pain he had to go through, it might have given you a different perspective on this issue. sad.gif

Call me a coward or whatever, but if I have to go through that much pain, I would rather be helped to die. sad.gif

Edited by Dan, 11 December 2003 - 03:36 PM.

#5 Armo77

Armo77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:58 PM

I couldn't say.. I have not personally been sick to the point were I felt like dying. I feel suicides are for cowards... However, I know human beings are not ment to live on machines.. Our time will come for all of us and we should accept it. If we are sick to the point where we can not breath, walk, eat, use the restroom on our own.. That is no life to live. Id rather die.. That is if there is NO chance of recover.

But religiously, God teaches us to have patience and faith. Killing yourself is not patience nor is it faith in God to heal you. You never know, you could wake up one day and start to improve.. Or you could even die naturally without you taking the risk of taking your own life. Maybe it is worth taking the chance of fighting for your life until the end.

#6 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:17 PM

Armo77, I respect your views, but I disagree with the religious view of it.. Morality is not always determined by religion.. In fact, religion is as irrelevant to morality as automobiles are..

Fighting for life is not always an issue of staying alive. It comes with a lot of baggage, pain being one of them. And as much as we might say "I understand your pain", we really don't, and can't. The extent of pain is incomprehensible to those who are not experiencing it.

Maybe it's worth taking the chance to fight for your life, maybe the ill person would've been healed, miraculously or otherwise, but that maybe is too easy to say, and hard to apply on the patient. It's just too hard. Not only on the patient, but on his/her family and friends.. Sometimes we have to let go. Sometimes that's the only way we can go on living, by letting go of life and all the pain that comes with it.. I don't know.. Some people say, what if there's something worse beyond death. Well, I don't know what comes after death, and whether or not it's worse, or if there's ANYTHING at all, and I'm not a believer in those things, but I believe that we all should have a choice in governing our lives. If my friend had not died any sooner and needed euthanasia, and if that Christian fundamentalist came to tell me that we were going to hell because we were killing a life that was given to us by God, I would've told him/her to keep his/her religious beliefs off my body. As long as there is no proof that God really exists, I don't care what your beliefs are, as long as you're not hurling it in my face and trying to control my behaviour and future that have nothing to do with your own life. And even if there were a God and he/she had said that it was wrong, well, sometimes, just sometimes you need to do what you think is right and just, because I don't think it was just for my friend to have gone through all that he did (even if it were God's doing), while people who have done worse things are free of disease and happy too.. Sometimes you gotta take hold of the reigns of fate, and turn it into free will. That's what we have brains and feelings for.

And that's my take on this.

#7 Armo77

Armo77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:22 PM

when have you ever agreed with anything I said.. I know Religion does not play a role in this to many people.. THATS WHY I PUT both scientific AND religious view of it.

P.S. Suicide is never accepted in the Christian religion no matter for what reason it is.. Not saying I 100% believe it or I am a religious fanatic.. Just giving both sides of the story.

sorry but they are my views

#8 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Armo77 @ Dec 11 2003, 05:22 PM)
when have you ever agreed with anything I said.. I know Religion does not play a role in this to many people.. THATS WHY I PUT both scientific AND religious view of it.

P.S. Suicide is never accepted in the Christian religion no matter for what reason it is.. Not saying I 100% believe it or I am a religious fanatic.. Just giving both sides of the story.

sorry but they are my views

oh god... Armo, please don't start with the "when have you ever agreed with anything I said" game, cos I ain't playing that. ok?

I am not arguing with you. I am simply saying that I don't agree with the religious perspective..

P.S.  Suicide is never accepted in the Christian religion no matter for what reason it is..

could be, but government/civil rights and religion should be separate. Like I said, I don't want anyone's personal/religious beliefs to touch my body.

#9 Armo77

Armo77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:41 PM

I have my views.. You acually think I give a damn what you think?

#10 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Armo77 @ Dec 11 2003, 05:41 PM)
I have my views.. You acually think I give a damn what you think?

I'm glad you do. No, I don't think you give a damn about what I think. But the point is, we're having an exchange of opinions, so either play along, or leave.

#11 Armo77

Armo77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Dec 11 2003, 04:44 PM)
I'm glad you do. No, I don't think you give a damn about what I think. But the point is, we're having an exchange of opinions, so either play along, or leave.

oh telling me to leave the site now????

#12 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Armo77 @ Dec 11 2003, 05:45 PM)
oh telling me to leave the site now????

No, but I'm telling you to stop this childish game, because it's nothing but a pain in the ***.

#13 Armo77

Armo77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:48 PM

what childish game.. you jump all over me because of my first post.. your the baby here.

#14 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:49 PM

Where did I attack you??? I said:
Armo77, I respect your views, but I disagree with the religious view of it.. Morality is not always determined by religion.. In fact, religion is as irrelevant to morality as automobiles are..

If you call disagreement an attack, then I have no further comments.

#15 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:23 PM

Ok guys, I hate to do this, but please cool down. This is just a debate, not a matter of life and death wink.gif

Speaking of life and death, as a believer I am strongly opposed to any sort of suicide (assited or non-assited). My opinion is that everything is there for a reason, so if you are terminally ill and suffering that is NOT a mistake. So don't try to run away from your karma wink.gif

#16 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:47 PM

totally agreed sasun jan but there are circumstances in which innocent little 2 or 3 year olds are terminally ill--not that i wold agree with assisted suicide here-but doesnt mean that this unexperienced and vulnerable child had done something in order to deserve such pain--the world doesnt always work the way you expect it---its just that in search for answers to life we as human beings go around and try to find what best suites are beliefs and experiences we need to accept that there are such things as cooincidences and that thingsmay happen for a resaon and may also not depends on how you look at it- you cant always have an explanation for everything in life some things are just there.......and need to be accepetd....i dunno life is just weird-thats my take on it--just when you think you got the hang of everything--the moon flips over the stars and the sun goes in rettrograde---as it seems to me sometimes metaphorically speaking sad.gif

#17 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:43 AM

There was a program on nightline couple of days ago THE GOOD DEATH

This woman who diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which spread to her liver, doctors were all said she wouldn’t live for long, after painful and agonizing chemotherapy she decided to die a GOOD DEATH what ever time she had left she would prefer to spend with her loved once, catch up with friends to say good bye, and amazingly she was very much in comfort with her decision rather live a few months more with chemo and pain.

I was wondering if that can consider being a suicide
I really admired her approach and how she was so in comfort with her decision.

Anybody else saw this?

#18 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:50 AM

If it was not for the VILE medical, food and chemical industries people would be living to an average of 120 years and dying natural peaceful deaths. Just read about the Hunza people of northern Pakistan.

#19 joseph parikian

joseph parikian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:50 PM

Hear is the site that explains why the Hunza people live longer
http://ths.gardenweb...1600447806.html

Edited by joseph parikian, 13 December 2003 - 09:57 AM.

#20 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 09:04 PM

I think people are mixing two different thing, "living to die" and killing. Both are different. Someone that is in a comma, unpluging him/her is different than injecting a substance to kill him/her.

I agree with the first but morally disagree with the second. I know that there is many way to see that an we can end up saying that finally they are the same, but this is a cases by cases problem. If you know you will die, you can just stop taking your medications and taking pain relievers, this is "living to die" this is different then taking a medication, an outside substance to kill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users