Do We have a reason to remain Armenians?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2000 - 10:57 PM

I have heard this question from many Armenians. It bothered me a lot at the beginning , but now I think we should give it a thought.
What do you think ? Is it worth the effort and the increased sacrifices we have to go through to insist on something that has a vague future? Why press our children and inspire them with values that can be considered questionable?

Please fellow countrymen, stick to the point and let us try avoid silly generalizations and emotional expressions of obedience.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2000 - 05:16 AM

Dear Raffi,

My sense is that we have as many reasons to remain Armenians as your next door Irish immigrant has to remain Irish. I think we are caught up in an illusion, namely that of the stereotypical Armenian.

In the dhort term one can send his children to Armenian schools, speak Armenian at home, joinn clubs etc. this has worke somewhat for the period after the Genocide. However if history is a good indication of trends we can see that older communities such as the Polsih, the Dutch and the Hungarian have virtually disappeared, after 400 or 500 hundred years. This happened despite considerable freedom of organization, including religion, in Poland for example.

This phenomenon is not circumscribed only to Armenians. Take most of the large immigrant groups to the US at the turn of the century for example. On the other hand it is still possile to find small communities of diverse nationalities in countries that are not their own. But these are usually the few left overs of much larger groups, such as Germans in Romania, Fins in Sweden, etc. In the New World there is much less of these types of stories.

If we turn to France for a minute, we can see that one of the largest communities in the diaspora has a very modest show when it comes to Armenian affairs. They have integrated very well, and are proud of their ancestry, but are not collectively very representative, in relative terms.

Finally I think that Armenians, in a longer term perspective, will only remain Armenians in Armenia. The only reason we have survived in the diaspora is essentially the fact that our most recent diaspora is relatively new.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2000 - 09:28 AM

Raffi,

I fully agree with Boghos. Over the moderately long run, Armenians will be preserved only in Armenia. But nevertheless, for quite some time to come, there will be people all around the world, that will remember that their predecessors had something to do with Armenia. I think there is nothing so wrong or tragic with it. This is life! The way I feel, it is not as important to have a lot of Armenians preserved in other countries, as to have Americans, French, Iranians, etc., who have warm feelings towards the Republic of Armenia and the people living there.

With the exception of the Iranian Armenian community, we have to recognize that the preserved Armenian Diaspora has only very short, about 100 years history. And I might predict that especially in the Western Society, the offspring of Armenian Diaspora would totally loose their Armenian identity in the next century. But they still may be associated with Armenia one or another way, if the Diasporan organizations and the state structures of the Republic of Armenia find a common denominator in defining what is the purpose of our existence?

In my view, by in large, the Diaspora was well on its way of full assimilation and integration, until the events of the last 12 years stirred some hidden feelings. But in fact, the failures of rebuilding the dream statehood and nation have worsened the psychological conflict of identity for the Diasporan Armenians. I think unless the right Armenia-Diaspora relationships are established, the Diasporan youth will run away from its Armenian identity with accelerating rates.

I am not here to define the purpose of our existence, since first, it’s not my place to do so, and second, I am searching for the answers myself. As I have reiterated time and time again in this forum, if the preservation of a nation or national identity doesn’t serve some great purpose, it is not worth preserving. After all, we are not trying to preserve some rear spices for the sake of its unique scientific or ecological value. We have to answer the question - preservation for the sake of what? We can ignore this question, run away from it, but it doesn’t eliminate the practice of the rise of the question itself.

In my view, something fundamentally new has taken place, lately. For the first time in our history, or at least in the last 1,500-1,700 years, we have a statehood, which has a chance to survive forever. And it raises new challenges. Before, we had found the reasons of our existence in the other’s desire to cease that very existence. Now what?

I think there are few important things that we have to realize as a nation. Most of all, we have to understand that the pompous ideals of yesterday, injected for the sake of self-preservation, are not necessarily the ideals of tomorrow, nor are they the vehicles to advance to the future. In fact, I think many of them are painfully self-distracting.

I have frequently heard arguments “justifying” our existence. Things like “we are the first Christian nation in the history of the world,” “we have had theatre 2000 years ago,” “we are an ancient nation,” “we are an Arian nation,” frequently without even understanding what do these cliches mean. As much as I have noticed, we always try to elevate ourselves by referring to our history, our past.

First of all, I think the history, in general, is too elastic to be taken as basis for conclusions, and it is delivered to us through the interpretation of the historians, the way we would like it to look and sound, and the way it pleases our ears. But the more important question, I think, might be - what do we have to offer today? More importantly - what do we have to offer for the future? How do we change or shape other’s perception of ourselves?

I remember some 15 years ago my beloved teacher, an extraordinary Russian man, said “I do recognize that Armenians have suffered a lot and, probably, unjustly, and that they live in a very difficult surrounding. But let’s imagine that through some mystical origin, power is given to them. Wouldn’t they be worse than the Turks, given their feelings of self-importance?”

Can we adapt ourselves in the rapidly changing world? Can we adjust our thinking? Can we curb the unrestricted ride of our self-important ego? Can we transit from the condition of a pseudo-religious, victimized, psychologically impotent community to a modern society, worthy of taking its due place in the progressive world? I think there are a lot of things to be reassessed.

I also think that one of the ways one can distinguish the strong nations from those who are doomed to disappearance is its ability to elevate itself through a critical reassessment of its values, ideals and realities, and the recognition of its past failures and current misconceptions.

I think the freedom, and its expression via statehood, is a responsibility, first of all. By becoming a member of the international community, we bestow upon ourselves the responsibility to be an honorable and dignified member, and equally serve the community-in-large, and contribute to its well being in material, spiritual, cultural and social dimensions. Sadly enough, I think we haven’t been able to make the case as of yet, but on the other hand, we have just started our journey.

I think there are some very complex questions that we have to answer. I don’t know the answers. But I am sure the answers will be found, as long as it is recognized that there are questions worth answering.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2000 - 10:37 PM

Indeed I believe that the only place that Armenians will stay Armenians is in Armenia.
As much as it hurts me I can see it going to that direction. However .... Is there something we can do to prolong or existence in the Diaspora , or give up the fight from now since the end is predifined?

I can not, or rather, I don't want to believe that all the sacrifices we have endured were in vein. Growing up differently from the other children , was not an easy task. We were always "foreigners"
and it did not bother us, however knowing that this continuous struggle will end to nowhere .... uhh it really hurts....

If my child (which I don't have yet) asks me, why he has to learn all these 'extra' things, why he has to attend a different school or why this and why that ? What should my answer be?.....

[This message has been edited by raffiaharonian (edited September 18, 2000).]

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2000 - 06:31 AM

Raffi you bring up an interesting point. I can tell you from my personal experiences that the bonding that exists in Armenian families is truly admirable. When I was in college I was not involved in any Armenian related events, most the friends that I had were fraternity guys and sorority girls. In a few years after entering the work force I can tell you that my outlook in life has changed. Now my ethnicity means more to me than anything else. When I look at Anglo Saxon majority now, it pushes me more to my roots. The morality that the surrounding environment has is not up to my standards, so it makes me to become Armenian even more. I guess with age people realize the value of being Armenian. I can tell you I am not the only one that this phenomenon occurred with. I guess with age people realize the true value of being Armenian. There are some intangible things in life that are valued more than anything else. Being Armenian is one of them. I guess your kids will realize the value of being Armenian on their own. They have to do some soul searching and have to come to that conclusion on their own.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2000 - 02:32 PM

I want to bring to the attention of the readers few observations. I think those who are familiar with the terrain in Armenia can relate to what I have to say. And, hopefully, I can connect these observations with the topic of this tread.

The population of Armenia on the current territory has never gone beyond 3.5 million people. I think this is indicative of something. First of all, there is not much available real estate in Armenia. May be it would be more precise to say in Yerevan (under its height of development, I think Yerevan’s population has been 1.1 million). Yerevan’s real estate could not accommodate the growing families. In this forum, we have occasionally joked that Armenian men have the habit of living in their parent’s home, or better to say, with their parents, till the age of 33 (in fact as a rule – to the end). This phenomenon has had objective reasons. It was very hard to obtain an apartment or a house to live in. The number of new constructions was very inadequate compared to the growth rate of the population, primarily due to the lack of construction space, funds, and the disproportionality of the urban infrastructures of the city. People used to sign-up for a new apartment and wait for a half-life to obtain one. This problem, I think got intensified in the Demirchyan era. Add on the top of this the inflow of the young population from the villages to Yerevan, and the story becomes worse. Note, that the roads, the other urban infrastructures (drinking water, sewage, electricity, gas pipelines, etc, were never designed for such a rapid increase of population). Additionally, there were no adequate jobs for such growth of urban population.

The lion share of the Armenian industrial complex, which was significant for its time and scope, in the result of strategic misplaning (in my view) was concentrated around Yerevan. The outflow of population off of Yerevan towards smaller cities in Armenia was not justified, because there were practically no jobs to handle the outflow, and besides, outside the perimeter of Yerevan there was practically no cultural life, entertainment, etc.

So one or another way, as a result of deteriorating living standards or not, Yerevan could've not handled 1 million population. To redistribute the population more evenly throughout Armenia would’ve required billions of dollars of capital investments. Clearly, Armenia didn’t have the type of money, the Soviets would’ve not invested in Armenia on that scale, and obviously, the current Armenian State cannot do it in our days, either. Therefore, it seems to me that the outflow of population off of Armenia is inevitable under any scenario. Therefore, it seems to me that no matter what, there is going to be constant outflow from Armenia. Inevitably, but clearly with exceptions, the better-educated people would be always the most likely candidates to leave Armenia. This will mean basically to drain Armenia from its most precious of all capitals – the human capital. So what should be done?

I think that under proper circumstances, there may be conditions for an inflow of population, but not necessarily to Yerevan. For example, if I had decided to return to Armenia, I might’ve preferred to settle somewhere in the country – like Dilidjan, Idjevan, Eghegnadzor, etc. All I would’ve needed would’ve been a reliable car, good house, a fiber optic Internet connection, satellite antenna or digital cable, good computers, a cellular phone enabled to connect internationally, etc. You know the routine, right? I assume that under proper conditions, I would’ve still been able to work with international companies on the same basis, as now. Clearly, if that was possible (as a result of some kind of reasonable globalization of Armenian economy and political system), this might’ve been a much more preferable way of residence for me, since my almighty $ would’ve gone much further in Armenia, I would’ve been able to save more money in Armenia then in USA, I would’ve been happy to pay taxes to the Republic of Armenia (though have no problems to pay the to the USA treasury, either ), and probably would’ve been able to generate jobs for the local population, as well as teach them the things that I have learned in USA. With the money I would’ve saved, I would’ve been able to travel wherever I wanted, and probably whenever I wanted. When I would’ve returned to Armenia, I might’ve supported a young person(s), or whomever I might’ve deemed appropriate, to move to USA or other developed countries, to study, establish itself in the private sector, make connections, and when he would deem appropriate and feel financially and otherwise secure enough, to return to Armenia, and continue this rotation over and over.

I think this might’ve saved the Diaspora, since it would’ve been a dynamic, self-renovating phemomenon, and would’ve also helped Armenia to develop with a magnificant speed. So why not to elevate this type of rotation to a strategic level, and instead of carrying the discomfort of disapearing identity, just keep reinventing ourselves?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2000 - 06:30 PM

Alpha, you live in California,where is this Anglo Saxon majority you speak of?

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2000 - 08:49 PM

I will try to say something about your question, maybe I got wrong.
I could say that to remain armenian we must love to each other, because I'm ashemaded how between armenians hate or doesn't like them...

Mius goghmen, shad hayer's antsealin ge tsangaink ge danchveink, ge husaink unenal mi hayrenik angaxuteamp, payts des inchpes ge p'len mer teknadzunera, garavaroghnera, yev joghovurtin shadera...
Angaxuteamp heto amen ays garodnera heratsan u moratsan...

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2000 - 09:47 AM

Raffi,

There IS reason. IT IS worth it, it really is, dont give up hope. Just trust me on this one. Dont ask me where this came from, but I just have a FEELING about the armenians, that we are not going to just die out and give up. Something deep inside me knows it.

But then, Shriag, that is very interesting what you have just said, Does they saying, united we stand, divided we fall, ring any bells now? ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users