Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Accelerated:
Probabaly because you'd have to be over 50 to fall in love with a Volvo!

Guys, I cant believe you can afford such expensive cars. I mean the M5 here costs almost AUS$200,000 and the Volvo S60 in the vacinity of AUS$100,000. Are prices less in the US or do you guys just get paid obcene wages?

Ouch. I'll go and kill myself now.

The S60 is really a fun cool fast car. I have the T5 and it is fast. No kidding.

My S60 fully loaded was just above 36K. The M5 are very expansive here as well. They go for about 85K. This is why I pray to God to increase the value of my stock options. Maybe they don't go up because God knows that I am an atheist.

Hey what is this about checks that Moveses is sending to people. All I get from Movses is a case of beer.

#22 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:34 PM

Sorry guys, but thats one ugly car that belongs in the 70s

#23 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:40 PM

ya i know Seaphan jan / planetary gears at the wheels / was one of the good thinks on h1 / h2 is just a cool $UV thats all

#24 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:44 PM

Tooth, We must have been neighbors. Palermo is still there, I am not sure about Ara's, Panos moved to the corner of Hollywood and Winona a while back. Palermos still gives wine for people who are waiting.

I think Palermo, and Dresden are the two old time restaurants that are left there. There are few other 4-5 star restaurants that have opened up in the last 2-3 years. LA Times and LA Weekly talk about that area as the new cool place to move to.

The hood has been regentrified, rents have gone sky high and lots of hip young yuppies are moving in.

There are few good sushi and Italian places that I frequent still, but I moved out about 5-6 years ago when I did some work in NJ and then in Mississippi.

#25 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:45 PM

quote:
No, I dont get anything! Mos better fix me up soon or he might find me on his doorstep one day with a sledgehammer.

sledgehammer ? Coll - i can use 5 of them - NEW - i'll pay you $2 each

#26 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:46 PM

Azat, just did a little search, the S60 costs AUS$55,000 here (base model), considering the exchange rate its a little less what you paid. But I think, the wages are better in the US in line with the more intense working environment.

[ July 17, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Accelerated ]

#27 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:48 PM

BY AzaT "Hey what is this about checks that Moveses is sending to people. All I get from Movses is a case of beer."
Azat jan Karora xmel@ targel es?? ok muys tary StarBox FrapaCapaArmoChino kurarkem qez:)

Seaphan jan es hsbatvanits qo $$$ el chem talu Gortser@! tuyla Papirozi $$ chka
Ham el HArouti TSnundna shutov n@ver enq arnelu.

#28 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:52 PM

Juggs, I think the base model is about 27 or 28K here.

#29 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MosJan:
Ham el HArouti TSnundna shutov n@ver enq arnelu.

Posted Image Ed meke shat leven er !!!!

Mos, have you heard of the 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon? It's supposed to come out this August. Comes with front and rear Dana 44 axles with electronically engaged air lockers in both axles!!!! It's supposed to be a VERY sweet rig for offroading. I am waiting to see what the final price will be, but I think it'll be sub $30K for sure.

#30 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 05:17 PM

Seaphan, I just had a closer look at those photoes, and must admit their mouthwaterring. But how many times a year to you have the chance of using the capabilities of your Blazer off the beaten track?

#31 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 05:22 PM

A fascinating fact about a Formula One car:

At 90km/h it generates enough downforce that could support its weight (600kg) if it was racing upside-down!

#32 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 05:49 PM

quote:
... how many times a year to you have the chance of using the capabilities of your Blazer off the beaten track?

So far, I've been averaging about one or two weekends per month in the last 2 years. With one or 2 major trips every six months. Like that Moab (Utah) trip this past May, it was a whole 10 day thing ... 2 days to get there, 5 days of offroading and a few days at dealers/mechanics on the way back from Utah to California (about 1000 miles) having them fix my engine troubles ... 3 ouf of my 6 cylinders decided to die on me in the middle of no where so it was pretty interesting trying to get back to California Good thing I had my laptop with me and could see which sensors and injectors were going bad ... otherwise, there is NO way you can figure anything out with these computer controlled engines. All you see is a "check engine" light

Looks like around new years we may hit Baja (you may have heard of the Baja 1000 races in Maxico) which will probably be another 9 or 10 day event ... I hear it is beautiful there but really a desert so gotta be well prepared. I know a guy who spent 4 months there in his truck with his then new wife on their "honeymoon"!!! Here is his website and HERE is where he outlines the whole baja trip they did. I think he did a great job on the site and I really respect him. He is a very nice person and sort of a minimalist ... he can get buy with just the basic essentials in life (and trully seems to enjoy every second of life!!!)

Anyway, if I could do it more often, I would. But I have to try to graduate within this coming year ... there is also this minor thing about the costs involved ... but it's amazing how much stuff you can do when you don't have to worry about rent.

#33 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 05:56 PM

Oh, and I have "albums" of the more recent "major" trips (when we go in groups of 3 or more for more than a day) HERE in case you want to see what the south western parts of the US look like

Hopefully, next year we can get a Colorado trip going. I hear Colorado is very beautiful but also very mountainous (and lots of trees). So that should be fun ...

#34 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 07:06 PM

quote:
3 ouf of my 6 cylinders decided to die on me in the middle of no where
Ouch! Thats half the reason why I'm not really enthusiastic about 4WDing. I mean sure you have other people with you to help you out, but breaking down, or worse still having an accident can give you a major headache

#35 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 17 July 2002 - 07:12 PM

Ahh - Baja - used to get down there when I lived in So Cal. Would travel down there with two very unrelated groups of friends (with only one common denominator - cute girls!...actually two, now that I think of it - the popensity for us to hit a great many bars being the second thing both groups had in common).

One group consited of some lefty/radical friends of mine who owned this huge (light blue) Chrysler from the late 1960s - and I mean huge - bench seats front and back - we sat 4 accross both front and back with no discomfort (with plenty of trunk room as well). And the car fit in very well in Mexico! One of the guys was married to a (great looking/dark) Mexican gal who was a green card and everyone but me spoke fluent spanish. So we almost were like locals. We toured around for several days (never got too much further then Ensenada) singing revolutionary songs in Spanish (at least they did) and drinking quite a bit. I got in two fights with Mexican guys who kept grabbing at two of the gals (blonds..one being my g/f) - in each case folks had to grab me off of them - everyone thought I was being overly sensitive and not understanding local ways - etc - hey she was my g/f - and no doubt I was a bit drunk....

The second group was mostly these lifeguards from San Diego I met up with (again - due to a gal I knew [who was also a lifeguard]. With the first group we would hit local dive bars and places that they knew (being Mexican or connected as such). With this group we hit all the trendy dance bars and bars Americans frequented (I prefered the others actually). But it was great fun as well (lots of pretty/very drunk women). For some reason we tended to have more run-ins with the federales with this latter group (we blended in better with the locals [more grungy] with the first group). Never any jail time luckily (though occcasionaly some bribes had to be paid). Oh and another vehical tidbit. One of the guys had his Bronco converted to dual use propane and had a tank fitted in the back. He could fill up on propane for a few cents on the (?)...anyway - it was significantly cheaper to run then by using regular unleaded from the states. I'm still in touch with most all of my friends in the first group - but haven't a clue as to what the others are doing these days. Oh - 3rd thing - they were mostly all San Diegans....

#36 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 10:51 PM

Has anyone else noticed that all of Tooth's stories about cars and trips involve cute girls? Tooth, buddy, you have to teach me how to be like you.

By the way, driving to Ensinada is not driving to Baja. I have couple of friends who organize a trip to San Philippe every year. They get about 10-20 friends to caravan down to there and camp on the beach(Gulf side) for 3-4 days and drink alot. I have done it twice and that is a lot of fun. But I too have not driven past that.

Sip, I hope you don't mind, but I gave your URL to couple of friends who are car fanatics.

#37 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
... Sip, I hope you don't mind, but I gave your URL to couple of friends who are car fanatics.

No problemo ... I really should update the thing ... I've done so many things to the truck lately!!! THIS is how my poor interior looks right now. At least I put the passenger seat back in. On the trip to Moab, I took the seat out since there was MUCH more room for stuff. Everyone there gave me a lot of hard time for it, telling me I must be the ultimate "geek" to take the passenger seat out
-----
EDIT - Well, thanks to you, I ended up starting a HUGE updating project on my site! Thanks for the kick in the butt I needed to get rolling --Sip
-----

I also noticed that Thoth's stories are much more "juicy" and entertaining than mine!!! Fortunately, these group of guys that I go with, do not drink (well, maybe a beer or two at camp) but the drinking while offroading thing is a big no no in the group which I really like. Once in a while we run into a bunch of bozos with beer in one hand and the steering wheel in the other ... but we usually end up going around them since they almost always end up breaking something or flipping their trucks.

[ July 18, 2002, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Sip ]

#38 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 12:09 AM

THOTH, I bet you also wore long hair (maybe a beard) and those funny pants that widenned from the knees to the feet .

Here (and now) university life isnt as politically orientated, sure you have the occasional leftie trying to teach you Marx, but most are not taken seriously. As for university life, apparently we're going to a strip joint tonight, with a few drinks I hope it doesnt lead to me cursing my self-control tomorow morning. LOL.

#39 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 12:10 AM

And back on the topic , does anyone follow the World Rally Championship or Formula 1 here?

#40 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 18 July 2002 - 01:49 PM

quote:
THOTH, I bet you also wore long hair (maybe a beard) and those funny pants that widenned from the knees to the feet .

Well - no funny pants...

quote:
Here (and now) university life isnt as politically orientated, sure you have the occasional leftie trying to teach you Marx, but most are not taken seriously. As for university life, apparently we're going to a strip joint tonight, with a few drinks I hope it doesnt lead to me cursing my self-control tomorow morning. LOL.

My friends run the gamut of political orientation (then & now). In school the left folks always tried to recruit me as I often expressed (my) very radical ideas (to most folks) - but I'm my own person and don't go for most of that crap (particualry the marxist stuff). Belive it or not many of my more lefty friends think of me as some kind of a hawk/right winger/establishment type. And of course my right wing friends think I am an unabashed lefty - got to keep them guessing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users