Photo

Valentine's Day?a Conspiracy?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Jan 30 2004, 03:30 PM)
Well everything boils down to that. People think i'm a party pooper always telling them the 'truth' behind social 'customs' and obligations. Of course society is man made and we 'make' things to do and bring us together, but I hate stupid reasoing, illogic and obligations, which make up most of the 'days' we are supposed to celebrate. If me and my friends or me and my girl come up with something that holds true to us, i'm with that. I hate mindlessly following 'tradition', i'm sure you agree.

Indeed. It's not so much "tradition" it's more of a mass marketed consumer holiday. Certain traditions, regarding just a couple, a family, or a culture, I don't mind.

Consumer holidays are not confined to this, are just crap. I hate Valentine's day. God damn mindless robots. I wanna burn a flower shop now.

#42 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:26 PM

HYEBRUIN,maybe I am a therapist...why are you being so sensitive about what I said anyways...I was just expressing my opinion...it's really not my issue if you took it as criticism...maybe you should look into why you reacted that way...
ok so I am a therapist,sue me rolleyes.gif

#43 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Jan 30 2004, 07:26 PM)
HYEBRUIN,maybe I am a therapist...why are you being so sensitive about what I said anyways...I was just expressing my opinion...it's really not my issue if you took it as criticism...maybe you should look into why you reacted that way...
ok so I am a therapist,sue me  rolleyes.gif

nono.gif girls, girls, calm down!! valentine's day is not worth fighting over, jesus christ.. lol. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif more love, less hatred lol.. hug.gif

#44 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:37 PM

Don't worry Dan there isn't any fighting going on here,well not on my side at least,dont' have control over other people's reactions....
I guess some people just excpect everyone to agree with what they say and come apart at the seam when they realize there are other opinions or realities out there...well they shouldn't be posting or reading public forums huh??? smile.gif

oh darn...more love,more love,more love cool.gif

Edited by Maral, 30 January 2004 - 06:39 PM.

#45 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Jan 30 2004, 07:37 PM)
I guess some people just excpect everyone to agree with what they say and come apart at the seam when they realize there are other opinions or realities out there...well they shouldn't be posting or reading public forums huh??? smile.gif

I donno about that Maral jan, but -- hyebruin is one of the most open-minded and respectful people on this board when it comes to others' opinions. smile.gif Maybe you 2 are misunderstanding each other. I don't know. And not gonna discuss that over here, but I suggest that you do talk about it. smile.gif

oh darn...more love,more love,more love  cool.gif

ahh yes, as you said!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif kisss.gif toot.gif clap.gif

biggrin.gif

#46 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:50 PM

Dan , maybe you're right...so I'm done here then.
Whether you guys agree with it or not,I wish you all a Happy Valentines Day and hope that you find someone very very special to make you want to spoil them and to be spoiled by them on that day and every other day of the year wub.gif heart.gif wine.gif

I will be having a birthday party for 2 of my daughters on that day and celebrating everyone who has a birthday in February and is with us that day and everyone will get a goody for Valentines Day hug.gif

Edited by Maral, 30 January 2004 - 06:58 PM.

#47 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Anonymouse @ Jan 30 2004, 02:37 AM)
On valentine's day, I will be egging everyone I see with flowers or heart shaped chocolates.

It's not that I've been "hurt by love", I just don't like conformists that move to whatever tune is being played by popular culture and consumer holidays. I won't get anyone anything for Valentine's Day. And besides how many of you really know about St. Valentine anyway?

It's a shame that people actually fall victim to this mindless stunt that is mass marketed to the masses. Those that criticize it get things such as "You're just jealous you don't have a Valentine!" and people feel bad because they don't have a "Valentine", and all because of a fake holiday.

Just another attempt for some one to "prove" their love for someone else by dinenrs, movies, roses, and chocolates. I love hearing about break ups on Valentine's Day. Make's you value the fact that you aren't bogged down in a materialistic relationship. Playstations never break up with you. Only you can break up with them.

well, this was the reason i started the thread...because thats what i believe too...the only reason i would ever like valentines day would be if i had someone and i was trying to make people know how we felt for eachother...well im glad i dnt have anyone because ive realized that valentines day is a biut overrated...and that no matter what, whether valentines day oir not, i would love it if the person im with showed me he loved me through words and actions...not materials... wink.gif , anyway, i believe that there is no need to go buy someone 200 roses or chocolates....what is better is 200 kisses and spending time together...in a t shirt and jeans ...watching tv and cuddling awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww man o man o man... never mind....

#48 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Jan 30 2004, 01:43 PM)
jermak hokinyer, they are always starting some conspiracy! laugh.gif

sevoolik oolik jan... ure 2 cute wink.gif jermakneer jermakneer..la la la la la ....on a one horse open slay...im in the christmas spirit!! screw valentines day..lol...

#49 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Jan 30 2004, 02:05 PM)
Yeah yeah yeah...let's see what mood you're in after you're in a serious relationship and a special day,any special day,comes and goes and he doesn't acknowledge it...talk to me then tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

Granted I haven't had a "serous" relationship, but I have had relationships. It just felt a lot more special when he got a rose just because he wanted to, not because he had to.

#50 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:40 PM

Extra,they all do that in the beginning,after a while they have to be reminded! laugh.gif Or forced sometimes!But I must admit that is not fun at all,if I have to ask for it,it loses the gesture.I know I know men are going to say they are not mind readers,but if they know someone ,really know someone, or pay attention they will know what to do cool.gif
When we were engaged my husband always took me to nice restaurants and did things just because...the day we rented our first apartment he took me to McDonalds for lunch!We had never stepped foot in a fast food place all the time we were dating! wink.gif

#51 Hye_Acher

Hye_Acher

~Հայ Աչեր~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Jan 30 2004, 07:40 PM)
the day we rented our first apartment he took me to McDonalds for lunch!We had never stepped foot in a fast food place all the time we were dating! wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
At least you don’t live with his parents and have your own place… unsure.gif unsure.gif wink.gif

#52 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Jan 30 2004, 07:40 PM)
Extra,they all do that in the beginning,after a while they have to be reminded!

It's okay Maral, this is how I'll remind them... doctor.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

#53 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

LOL... hmm.... boy.. it seems like everyone is agreeing, but they dont see that.. LOL....

Valentines day shmalentines day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#54 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Dan @ Jan 30 2004, 05:42 PM)
I donno about that Maral jan, but -- hyebruin is one of the most open-minded and respectful people on this board when it comes to others' opinions.  smile.gif Maybe you 2 are misunderstanding each other. I don't know. And not gonna discuss that over here, but I suggest that you do talk about it.  smile.gif

ahh yes, as you said!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif kisss.gif toot.gif clap.gif

biggrin.gif

thanks dan! we're not "fighting" i just think she's being very blunt with some of her comments and quick to judge and categorize people....even a therapist would have more sensitivity than that... most armenians especially if they're a few years older have this tendency to be critical!!! god!! no wonder i couldn't stand the armenian teachers and nuns that taught us!!! i guess her tone just reminded me of old school days where we were scolded for no reason!! dry.gif

#55 ME5

ME5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:23 AM

Hyebruin,sounds like she was right,some therapy might do you good.

Get over it.

#56 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (ME5 @ Jan 31 2004, 01:23 AM)
Hyebruin,sounds like she was right,some therapy might do you good.

Get over it.

nono.gif what's with this whole psychoanalysis trend on HyeForum??? mad.gif ME5, do you usually feel the urge to attack people out of the blue, when you didn't even take part in the discussion? rolleyes.gif

#57 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (Dan @ Jan 30 2004, 11:34 PM)
nono.gif what's with this whole psychoanalysis trend on HyeForum??? mad.gif ME5, do you usually feel the urge to attack people out of the blue, when you didn't even take part in the discussion? rolleyes.gif

its' ok dan, small minds small comments.... therefore NO COMMENT!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

#58 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:24 AM

What's all this nonsense? I have "opinions" where I call things dumb, but I don't go on top of people insisting it is dumb if someone else says it's not dumb for everyone. Yeah, spontaneity is good, and in relationships where circumstances have permitted it, I've done my fair share (it's not always the guys, you know!!), but the picture I am getting here is that a lot of people would rather not have the holiday so they don't have to put up with "And what did he get you??" at the workplace the next day. What's so bad? about letting people be happy about theirs and answering, "Oh, he said he was going to get me a surprise some other time, some other place." Betraying insecurity, that you like to show off, mark off the criteria in your checklist more than you appreciate?
Ironic that among all the religious holidays turned into Johnny's tradition, Valentine's Day, no matter how degenerate it has become, still makes the most sense. A couple is still a couple, lovers are still lovers, but during Christmas parents and relatives have a hard time trying to figure out what to get their kids that they don't already have - and it's always about one's own, hardly any charity in there. I don't see the point of singling out Valentine's Day. Oh but we do like Christmas, don't we, so we can get all those prezzies. Wake up!
For the record, I think all religious-adapted holidays are silly, but I don't see the harm, nothing in it to go gung-ho about.

#59 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:59 AM

there is a huge difference between christmas and valentine's day! christmas signifies the birth of the saviour whereas st.valentine was just a saint!

#60 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:40 AM

OK, as I predicted, let's also look into Mr. Valentine's merits sometime.
As for Xmas, saviour he is not to me, and I think it is just pathetic that it is actually made an official holiday. And all the presents and blah blah about goodwill and loving and giving when there is none done for the needy. You have to remember all that for one day though not act upon it ever for the rest of the year?
And then all this about celebrating the transition from one year to another. Hogwash! Why can't you just party any random day of the year with the people you like? Prices of commodities will also be down unlike the season-highs, stop feeding the consumer machine... Same thing with Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day. Who forgets them, who can? (Some can't, some would wish.) They're all freaking days, each like the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users