Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jan 9 2004, 05:53 AM)
I think that if the word were paklavash, the Greeks would've imported it as paklavas.  biggrin.gif

Vey good Stormig!
I had to bite my tongue and break my finger to not bring that up. You caught it.
Another inconsistency that I left wide open is, if we learned the word bak/pak from the French then it places it at the 12th c. the earliest. In fact Ajarian state that "pah" as in to "keep" is a variation of the ogiginal "pas". Whch brings us back to the Aramaic origin word "pasekh" as applied to Passover.
Who knows the song;??
Es or Urbat e pas e....

Edited by Arpa, 13 January 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#42 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:04 PM

Let's have some fun.

We cannot talk about this subject without telling this anekdot.
There are several stories told about that our native absent minded professor Hovannes Toumanian. He was a teacher and it seems at times he was also absent minded. Now we know where his mind was.
One morning he wakes up to the clang clang of pots and pans, his wife was already in the yard stirring a steaming pot over a hot fire. Upon asking her what she was doing she said; "Khash em patrastum".
That evening Hovannes invited all his colleagues and every friend he came across on his way home. They sat around the apseh waiting. After a while Hovannes running out of patience calls his wife and asks her where the khash was. She tells him to go in the yard and look at the clothesline.

Note: khash also means laundry. Both based on "khashel/kharshel", to boil.

Look who else calls it khash; http://www.azerizaur.com/food/sour.htm

Below wwe will see that the author uses "*****" as a synonym to khash.
I had known this for quite sometime, however the complete description is "kelle *****" as seen at that site above. We also tried to avoid it like the plague as it is attributed to Turkish. It seem this is far from the truth. I also knew that the Persians called the stew "kelle pacheh". I thought they may have borrowed it from the Turkish. Surprise! Surprise! My Persian dictionary defines "kelle" as head/skull and "pacheh" as trotters, to mean hoof, totik. Both seem to be native as the dictionary does not attribute to Arabic or any other languages as some other words are indicated so.
So! Who is the original creator of that much loved and hated food? It is conclusive. Turks don't even contend.

We have been too serious. Let's relax and have some fun.
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Below is the recipe for khash and the site lists many other recipes. (Thanks to Raffi K. of cilicia.com)
Some one hundred or so years ago Garegin Abp Srvantztiants in his book Hamov Hotov suggested that we use Armenian words for our food. I don't remember much of it except that he had suggsted "tertush" for paklava and "sarnush" for icecream.
We have been talking about composing(or not) Armenian words for every gadget and gizmo. Let's see if we can find/compose Armenian words for the dishes listed. They can be descriptive, translations or even silly inventions.
Oh! The winner will get a year's supply of khash personally delivered by Movses.
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I will begin.
Even if we have a native word for khash, in the tradition of "erkayna-klora-blah-blah-blah", I suggest that we use "limona-SKHTORA-glokha-totik" (Note that skhtor is in big letters.)

http://www.cilicia.c...ok_recipes.html

KHASH OR *****
(Hoof, Stomach, Tongue Soup)

4 Calves' Hoofs
6 lamb tongues
2 lbs. Calves' Tripe
2 garlic cloves
salt, pepper, paprika

It is best to buy the feet already cleaned if possible. Otherwise soak feet in boiling water to loosen the shoe, then take off the shoe from each foot. Singe all hairs and scrape off the rest with the edge of a knife. Wash everything very thoroughly. Soak the feet and stomach in water over-night. Each ingredient has to be cooked separately at first.

In a big kettle start cooking the feet with the garlic.

Cut stomach into one inch squares, cook 10 minutes, drain the water. Add fresh water and cook 15 minutes more. Then add to the feet and cook together for 2 hours. When meat separates from foot bones, remove all bones. Also take off scums when formed.

Cook tongues in water until skins can be pulled off easily. Cut up into small pieces. When the feet and stomach is half cooked add the pieces of tongue, and the salt and pepper.

When khash is cooked take off some of its fat into a small frying pan add the paprika and cook a few seconds until paprika is melted, then pour back into the khash. Serve the meat with its own broth in soup plates. Add lemon juice or vinegar when eating. This is a meat course.

Serves 6

[Khash recipe from AGBU Cookbook]

#43 Anaheet

Anaheet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Davo0074_NL @ Jan 6 2004, 09:23 AM)
It happened a lot that people have asked me what about armenian food. What do you armenians eat? I have to say that I think that I probably tried all armenian dishes but I find it hard to name them.

So what`s your favorit dish?

I *LOOOOOOVE* Nazook. I could eat it every day. Probably good for my waistline I can't! biggrin.gif

#44 Anaheet

Anaheet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Jan 8 2004, 11:24 AM)
Try to tell your foreign friends what Xash is and see the reaction on their face.  Blllaaaahhhhhhh.  sorry

Please tell me- what IS xash? My grandmother never made it.

Edited to say: OK, never mind, I just saw.

Yum?

Edited by Anaheet, 27 May 2004 - 02:41 PM.

#45 mbscalise

mbscalise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:14 AM

I just got caught up in this thread. Boy, I love grape leaf sarma and dolma, but one of my all-time favorites has got to be manti, and then there's taboulleh, khadaif, oh boy....

#46 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:armenia

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

untop of the usual dolma (the mixed dolma and the usual- with wineleafs) and khorovats, typically armenian food. my other favorites are those:
"Tas kabab" (baderdjan, potatoes, unions, meat together cool.gif ) and"koko"(vegetarian pie).

I find ishkan the fish wich they have in armenia, very delicious. heart.gif poor fish... rolleyes.gif

Edited by koko, 08 June 2004 - 05:23 PM.

#47 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:36 PM

m i love cooking with my mom- its so fun-- but all these armenian/ mid eastern foods are so starchy and fattening- cooking it is good- but make sure youre the one serving it- not eating all of it biggrin.gif lol

#48 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:armenia

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

only be sure NOT to use as not so much oil or butter! I know that most people from the middle east ,especially, like to use oil. A looooooooot of oil. huh.gif tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users