#21 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Sep 23 2004, 08:16 PM)
agree - these are issues he should have some difficulty with...

If he open a subject regarding the Armenians, he give Aliyev an occasion to lie, and the discussion may just be cut there, without a possibility of reply.

#22 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:25 PM

But there may be exceptions...

If there are many that goes there as a plan to embarass Alyiev... during the moment of question, they may one by one answer and Alyiev will be derouted and embarassed... but if just few goes there, the option I propose is the best.

#23 skhara

skhara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Sep 23 2004, 08:09 PM)
Are you from the region?  huh.gif

Tell us more.

Yes. Thats where I spent the early part of my childhood.
I remember Sumgait, it was just a short drive away from where my family lived.
I remember the absurd stories Azeris were saying about Armenians. I remember soldiers everywhere. I remember getting in a fight with Azeri kids same age as me. I don't remember exactly how many of them there were, but I was by myself. I remember when Azeri youths smashed my uncles car and he wanted to come out and engage them until my grandfather convinced him that they are most likely setting up an ambush and that's why they were kicking his car in open view; that they wanted him to come out. Anyway, I remember a lot of stuff, not quite understanding why and what was going on at the time.

I also remember feeling that we were lucky and still feel that way. I remember Armenians left homeless in the streets of Yerevan and Moscow and I remember somewhat selfishly thinking: "Glad that's not us (my own family and I)."

Edited by skhara, 23 September 2004 - 09:24 PM.

#24 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:52 PM

sharka i think you missed the part of the question "can he realistically guarantee the safety of those refugees if they return" the answer to that should obveously be no IF he's honest

btw he has already given the speech, i wonder if any of the forumers could provide us with some details as to how the questoins went.

tyia

Edited by hytga, 26 September 2004 - 06:53 PM.

#25 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (vika182 @ Sep 19 2004, 07:41 PM)
Well well, it seems like one of the biggest unqualified, criminal leaders in the world, the wonderful president of Azerbaijan, Aliyev will be coming to Columbia University to gove a talk.  I am inviting anyone who can to PLEASE come join me, and if you cant, please help me decide what questions to ask, since we will be given an opportunity to ask questions.  I don't want to just go there and curse at him.  help

and vote for kerry

Sorry I just read this thread and this is a bit off topic.

DUDE, you go to Colombia University? WOW that is great

#26 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:48 PM

Baku Today, Azerbaijan
Sept 26 2004

Azeri President Gave Speech at Columbia University During His Visit
to New York

26/09/2004 09:36

On September 24, 2004 Columbia University in the City of New York
hosted the president Azerbaijan Mr. Ilham Aliyev within the framework
of Second World Leaders Forum.
Each fall during the United Nations General Assembly, Columbia
University in the City of New York serves as a center for public
debate, welcoming world leaders to its campus for a series of public
lectures, roundtables and special events.
The annual World Leaders Forum, attended by students, faculty and
invited guests, encourages open discussion and greater understanding
of the most pressing economic, political and social challenges of the
present.

This year presidents and prime ministers from India, Bolivia,
Romania, Latvia, Mozambique and Azerbaijan, and foreign ministers
from Poland, Colombia and Thailand, and former US Secretary of State
Ms. Madeleine Albright were invited to the forum.

During his speech Mr. Aliyev talked about the current socio-economic
situation in Azerbaijan and the policies put forward to foster the
rapid development of the country, especially in rural regions of
Azerbaijan. He mentioned the eradication of unemployment and poverty
as the top priority for the current government. He devoted the
significant portion of his speech to the issues related to the
settlement of the Artsax conflict between the Republic of Armenia
and Azerbaijan. He described the miserable situation of Internally
Displaced Persons (IDP) and refugees in Azerbaijan and stressed non
constrictive position of Republic of Armenia in the peace negotiation
process.

Among 360 participants of the event many professors and students were
trying to ask questions to Mr. Aliyev. Most questions were related to
Artsax conflict, the way of settling it and socio-economic,
political situation in Azerbaijan. Mr. President stressed the
negative impact of illegal policies of establishing new settlements
by Armenia in occupied Azeri territories on the resolution of
Artsax conflict. Furthermore, he acknowledged the great
contribution of Jewish community in Azerbaijan to the development of
the country answering the question by a member of Azeri Jewish
community in New York City.

After the president's speech was over, he had brief meeting with the
members of Columbia Azerbaijani Student Association (CASA). Mr.
President was informed about the activities of CASA and its
contribution to the dissemination of the realities about the
Azerbaijan among Columbia University students and faculty. The
members of the CASA gave a special present to the president. Mr.
Aliyev highly appreciated the activities of CASA, according to CASA
press release.

#27 vika182

vika182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:45 PM

Here is the article from the columbia paper:
the headlines were
Aliyev's Speech Laments Armenian Conflict and Aliyev Uses Armenia to Deflect Criticism... at least someone picked up on his evilness...

Ilham Heydar oglu Aliyev, president of the Republic of Azerbaijan, used his Low Library speech on Friday to criticize international community for ignoring Azerbaijan's ongoing territorial dispute with Armenia.

The generally upbeat address was part of Columbia University's second annual World Leaders Forum. Aliyev credited foreign investment in Azerbaijan's oil and gas industries for the country's emergence from near economic collapse in the early 1990s. However, Aliyev described tensions between Azerbaijan and Armenia and the lack of foreign intervention with a sense of urgency as he stated simply, "Patience has its limits."

Aliyev, son of Azerbaijan's previous president, Haydar Aliyev, holds a Ph.D. in history from the Moscow State University of International Relations and is also a former vice president of the State Oil Company of the Republic of Azerbaijan. He came to power in October 2003 in the former Soviet state, which suffers from problems ranging from pervasive corruption and an underdeveloped economy to ethnic conflicts.

Aliyev spoke of his desire to establish lasting peace and stability in a historically unstable region. His country's economic progress and swift integration into the international community after gaining independence from the Soviet Union in 1991 show possibilities for the future.

He also noted that further economic and social progress within Azerbaijan depends on developing non-oil sectors of the economy, a process that requires further foreign investment. Aliyev pointed to the Armenian occupation of the Nagorno-Artsax region as a source of instability and an obstruction to foreign investment.

"Twenty percent of our territory is under occupation," Aliyev said.

This conflict stems from the popular desire among the Armenian majority in the Nagorno-Artsax region for self-determination. The leaders of Azerbaijan have consistently insisted on preserving territorial integrity, and between 1988 and 1994, violent conflict resulted in thousands of deaths and 1.4 million refugees.

Aliyev referred to the continued occupation of the region as a "humanitarian catastrophe," and chided the U.N. for failing to enforce the resolutions that the Security Council passed in 1993 calling for the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the contested region. He argued further that the legitimacy of the U.N. and of international law rides on the international community's resolve to act on its resolutions by placing sanctions on Armenia.

Although Azerbaijan is committed to peaceful negotiation, Aliyev said, "negotiations cannot go on forever." To loud applause he then stated that Azerbaijan reserves the right to restore territorial sovereignty "by any means."

Yet, as the late former President Heydar Aliyev admitted last year, Azerbaijan has not purchased a single tank in seven or eight years, and Armenia continues to modernize its armed forces.

A highlight of the question-and-answer portion of the event was a pointed question regarding accusations that Aliyev's government has severely restricted free speech and may have even rigged last year's election. While criticizing those who would "throw stones at police," Aliyev denied any breaches of civil liberties by his administration, and he attributed his overwhelming victory with 76 percent of the popular vote to political disarray within the opposition party.

He quickly refocused his response with further criticism of Armenia, arguing that the sooner the conflict can be resolved and international law upheld, the better Azerbaijan will be able to pursue economic and social reform.

Guess who was the majority attending....who else would applaud a call to war....

#28 vika182

vika182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:49 PM

WOW, WRITTEN PROOF THAT THE AZERBAIJANI MEDIA AND THEIR STUPID PRESIDENT ARE LIARS. HE DIDNT FOCUS ON THE POVERTY OF THE AZERBAIJANI PEOPLE, AND THE QUESTIONS WERE NOT ABOUT HOW EVIL ARMENIANS ARE. THE QUESTIONS WERE ABOUT WHY HE WASNT ELECTED AND HOW HES AN ILLIGITIMATE LEADER!!!

#29 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (vika182 @ Sep 27 2004, 06:49 PM)
THE QUESTIONS WERE ABOUT WHY HE WASNT ELECTED AND HOW HES AN ILLIGITIMATE LEADER!!!

BRAVO!!! biggrin.gif Perfectly how it should have worked... this directly attack the idiot. smile.gif

#30 skhara

skhara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:03 PM

vika, did you attend this? your thoughts?

QUOTE (hytga @ Sep 26 2004, 06:52 PM)
sharka i think you missed the part of the question "can he realistically guarantee the safety of those refugees if they return" the answer to that should obveously be no IF he's honest

Yep. But there is no reason to even talk about. Why would any Armenian want to live amongst Turks?

#31 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 09:48 PM

http://www.un.org/we...rmeng040929.pdf

Guys check out Oskanian's today speach at UN General Assembly. Briliant stuff. He has said that Armenians have occupied Artsakh 2000 years ago smile.gif
Also, he has mentioned the Budapesht axing.

#32 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (ArmenSarg @ Sep 29 2004, 09:48 PM)
http://www.un.org/we...rmeng040929.pdf

Guys check out Oskanian's today speach at UN General Assembly. Briliant stuff. He has said that Armenians have occupied Artsakh 2000 years ago smile.gif
Also, he has mentioned the Budapesht axing.

Great Speech.I like the way he highlighted the Karabagh conflict.He is a great FM.

#33 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Sep 30 2004, 07:12 AM)
He is a great FM.

Agree. He is one of the few real professionals Armenia has.

#34 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

wow - agreed - great speech!

#35 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (ArmenSarg @ Sep 30 2004, 11:22 AM)
Agree. He is one of the few real professionals Armenia has.

and is a distant relative of mine. tongue.gif

as far as the settlement of the conflict goes, i think we are stuck for another 10-15 years unless something really dramatic happens.

i was listening to a new report on armenian chanal yesterday, where they were interviewing a few azeri journalists in yerevan. one of them was telling that he used to write some of the official letters from the president. he was admitting that a lot of time they wouldn't even read the proposal letters that they would get from armenia or international committies regarding the artsax conflict settlement. they would just write rejection letters. he was telling how once they even lost the proposal letter and he had to make up things without even knowing the content of the letter and write rejection letter.

#36 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Harut @ Sep 30 2004, 01:58 PM)
and is a distant relative of mine. tongue.gif

Hmmm... that explains a lot. smile.gif

#37 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Sep 30 2004, 08:33 PM)
Hmmm... that explains a lot. smile.gif

It is that unbeatable combination of pedigree.

Born in Halep of Marashtsi parents!!!

What else can you ask!!?? smile.gif smile.gif

LTP was born in Halep as well but of Musa Leratsi parentage.

#38 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (vika182 @ Sep 20 2004, 02:41 AM)
and vote for kerry

Really, now?
http://www.wsws.org/.../lett-s28.shtml

#39 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Sep 30 2004, 08:41 PM)
It is that unbeatable combination of pedigree.

Born in Halep of Marashtsi parents!!!

What else can you ask!!??  smile.gif smile.gif

Below a paragraph from here:

http://www.proarmeni...an_Oskanian.htm

Armenia's relations with our immediate neighbors as well as with those with interests in our region, are enhanced by our rich, warm, brotherly relations with the countries of the Middle East. I myself, as so many others here, was raised with the hospitality of the Arab peoples who made way for our grandparents fleeing from sure death in the Ottoman Empire. Aleppo, Syria, my birthplace, is also the birthplace of the modern Diaspora. There, as elsewhere, our Arab neighbors provided us the space and the environment in which to pick ourselves up from doom and possible oblivion. We did, and we contributed to the making of the modern Middle East. Today, our official interstate links are not in a small way conditioned by those older people-to-people bonds borne of necessity and kindness. Our political, economic and cultural links are strong, and we anticipate that our geographic and historic proximity will lead to even deeper cooperation, especially given the presence of a grateful Diaspora

#40 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Sep 30 2004, 02:41 PM)

So, your'e saying that if there wasn't for that small difference of being a Musalertsi, we would have a great President? As much as I like Oskainian (in his place) I hate LTP's gutts with all the fibres of my soul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users