69 replies to this topic

#1 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 08:35 AM

What is Mozilla? How does it work? And is it recommendable?

http://www.mozilla.org/

My apologies if this topic has already been discussed: I'm too lazy to search :)

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 09:15 AM

I am not too up to date on Mozilla so I'll check out the link when I get back (gotta go climb some rocks today!!!) ... but Netscape browser, as far as I know, was based on Mozilla ... maybe it still is but since AOL bought Netscape, I am not sure what they have done. Basically, Mozilla is a web browser ... as far as I know, it is open source which means everyone has access to the source code of the program ... which means you can take it, modify it, and do all sorts of custom changes to it.

Since it's open source, you can pretty much get it to run on any system ... Mac, PC, Unix, Linux, etc. As of it's current state, I don't know. Do you need it? Probably not. Will your cool-ness factor go up if you get it ... sure! You can boast to everyone how you don't conform to the masses and use the standard Netscape or IE! If you like to try another browser, take a look at Opera. I don't know if it works on Mac but it may be worth a try. I personally just stick to IE.

#3 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 10:46 AM

Nairi, if you're looking for an alternate browser - and you're running OS-X on a Mac, take a look at Safari. It's very light & quick. Loads fast, remains pretty stable, and has a couple of great features - like a built-in pop-up killer & an easily customizable menu bar. The real plus is it's speed (when compared to IE or Netscape). From what I hear Mozilla's pretty fast too - but Safari is pretty damn solid. You can get it HERE.

#4 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 10:48 AM

Sip, Opera does have a Mac version - i like it, but I have since adopted Safari as my personal fave.... ;) I think Safari is based on Konqueror for Linux (or more likely, they're both based upon the same source....)

#5 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I only heard about Mozilla, didn't know there were so many other options... I'm not working with OS X. I'm still getting used to it. Every now and again I switch for fun, but I still prefer Classic: it seems more organized to me, although I know OS X is supposed to be even more user-friendly than Classic. Anyway, I was thinking about installing another browser in OS X when I heard about it; just for fun. OS X to play with, and Classic to work with... I'll try out a few things when I have more time again.

#6 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 10:01 AM

I switched to OSX cold turkey! It was the best thing (computer related) I ever did! :D
If you work often in Microsoft applications, ie. Word Excel - they run much smoother & faster in OSX, more reliably too! If you already have it - I highly recommend you make the switch full-time :thumbup: Good Luck!

#7 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 10:22 AM

Nairi, you should start thinking about installing OS X, if your computer is capable of, of course, don't forget to do the upgrades, the first version has many bugs. If you don't do the change, you will be left with old programs to run with your computer, since OS X is a complatly newly written OS, and that older programs are nearly emulated on it, and Apple will, sooner then you think, pull off the plug on the devloppement of products supporting less then OS X, that means that in a near future, you will have products that will only run on OS X.

Vava, unfortunitly, I believe Windows XP beats OS X for feature and overall etc... but the upcoming OS from Apple will change that. :)

#8 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 11:46 AM

and Apple will, sooner then you think, pull off the plug on the devloppement of products supporting less then OS X, that means that in a near future, you will have products that will only run on OS X.

Apple is already doing that. There's hardly anything left for OS 9+ users :(

I have installed OS X, but I can still switch to OS 9, and better yet, I can open OS 9 in the OS X application and like that still use all my old documents while running OS X. The only disadvantage is that it slows down my computer almost four times. I know it's time for me to switch... but I love my OS 9!!! :cry:

Edit: went back by mistake...

Edited by nairi, 11 May 2003 - 03:25 PM.

#9 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 12:22 PM

Niari - don't worry - you won't be sorry :D If you ever need some tips/advice, I can refer you a few URLs that may ease your transition.

Domino - I'm not knocking XP :smilie_xp: here... I'm just offering friendly advice from Mac user :smilie_osx: to Mac user.... :)

#10 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:02 PM

I believe Windows XP beats OS X for feature and overall

Are you kidding me? Win XP has huge bugs and security holes. So far, Win 98 has been the most successful.

Microsoft is making the Windows OS too unprofessional. I mean, it's getting to the point of becoming sorta like a playstation interface. Some of the features are cool, but I really hate the changes in the Control panel in XP. :angry:

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:19 PM

Are you kidding me? Win XP has huge bugs and security holes. So far, Win 98 has been the most successful.

WHAT? Where did you hear that? :o :D I almost never hear Win 98 and "security" being mentioned in the same paragraph!!!!!!!

As far as user interface, sure, Win XP looks really childish out-the-box but you can easily disable all the bells and whistles and jazzy stuff and you'll be left with the good old simple Win 95/98 looking interface. That's the first thing I do with mine ... i.e. get rid of all the "animation", "wizards", "web looks" blah blah blah.

Hint: Right click on "Start", choose properties, and select "Classic Start Menu".

#12 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:36 PM

I did not hear it. I've experienced it. :unsure:

Yes, I do have the classic menu and stuff. But I'm just talking about how Microsoft is trying to attract a larger crowd by doing that. :unsure:

Oh well, never was a big fan of Bill Gates or Microsoft...

#13 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:36 PM

Oups, vava, I made a mistake in my post, I meant to say that I believe that the next version of MacOS will beat XP.

As for you Dan, what are you trying to say by successfull ? Win98 compared with XP, is like comparing a Lada with a Porsh, beside Win 2000, XP is THE OS in the PC world, the most stable, and as for security, it may not be perfect, but the new upgrades correct most of them, and the issues in question are more for Servers, and Win2003 for server is supposed to correct those, Win 98, neither ME was made for server.

I liked Mandrake, but still there is many things to correct as Linux to replace Windows, I playing with it long and long to change the Refresh rate, and I do not find it praticle that one has to play with the config, and edit it in order to change a simple thing such as the refresh rate, or that you have to load in Root, without X windows to install important drivers, and then go at the config and change the configuration in order to load it, so there is no alternative to Windows right now Dan, for the common 99 % of the people that don't want to lose their times to just learn how to install a simple driver...

So, the only options that we have other then XP, is or Mandrake 9(or RH 9), or Mac OS X, MacOS X takes a new computer, and is still not as stable as XP, because the OS is an entirly new one that has been compleatly rewriten from top to bottom, there is less difference between Win98 and XP, then there is with MacOS 9 and MacOS X, in a way that, softwares programmed for OS8-9 and nearly emulated in OSX. So we have no much choices, and right now WinXP beats to competition, even if Bill is a Devil.

And as for the simplification, thats a nice thing to do for the 99 % of the computer users, so if they can simplify the OS and make it more user friendly, thats hell not a bad thing, unless we are limited by the simplicity like were every MacOS beside OS X, in future MacOSs will become more controlable then their PC conterparts, and I will have my PCs given to sharks to be eaten. :)

Edited by Fadi, 11 May 2003 - 02:49 PM.

#14 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:45 PM

You know Dan.

Here, a comparaison chart I made on the same system in term of stability, between Win 98 and Win XP.

Based in two Week trial.

Fatal errors that will force me to reboot the computer.
Win 98SE 8 times
XP 0 times

Errors that will scrap the system, and that even if will not freeze the entire system, the programs will stop answering and not open, unless I restart the computer.
Win 98SE 4 times
XP 0 times

Simple errors. That closing the program will be enough to make the PC works fine.
Win 98 SE 2 times
XP 5 times

You see from the last test, Win 98SE beats XP, but, thats a good sign, it only means for me that those errors that will scrap the system and that or will make it entirly freeze, or that I have to restart it in order that it runs correctly are replaced by XP as mair Program problems, that when killing them will make it run as before.

For security, technically XP is a continuation of 2000, and is a lot supperior then Win98.

#15 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:50 PM

Aysh... those that have read my previous posts, should read the second one another time, I corrected words that makes the meaning of them complatly different... I think I need 5 hours more of sleep. :)

#16 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:51 PM

Oh well, never was a big fan of Bill Gates or Microsoft...

To the defense of Microsoft, I believe their OSes (especially newer ones) do really well considering they run on more than 90% (that's a very conservative estimate) of PCs. Take OS X or Linux and put it on every PC out there ... I bet you, you will discover just as many, if not more, bug, security holes, and instability issues as with Windows XP.

I am not defending win 98 ... win 95/98 were inferior operating systems no doubt. But as Domino said, with XP (also NT/2000), Microsoft is in the same ball park as the other serious Unix-based OSes.

#17 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:57 PM

Seaphan, you should wait and see if Mandrake or RH 10, or MacOS XI, or whatever they are call them will present as products, I can't help myself then reinstalling Mandrake 9.1, after all the headakes it gave me, because I am attracted for them, for a reason that I compleatly can't explain... other then, games playing at 3 frames per second, other then funny errors, where programs refuse to open for a reason that one ignore, still that Linux, sound like WinXP or MacOS systems, and guess what, its still a Linux :) I think that may be one of the reason I am attracted from it.

Another thing, why is Internet faster in Linux, I can't understand, is there a logical explanation that it should be like that ? Since normally everything I tried were slower on it, but not Internet... thats weird.

Edited by Fadi, 11 May 2003 - 02:57 PM.

#18 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:02 PM

What do you mean by "internet is faster"?

I am guessing you are talking about web browsing? If so, that is mostly related to the browser you use. Most often the protocol stacks are fairly optimized. I've heard/read how Opera is so much faster than IE. For me, things are usually really fast so I haven't noticed any difference. Most often, the slowdown comes from internet conjestion and servers and it is rarely something on my own end.

#19 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:08 PM

I believe Windows XP beats OS X for feature and overall

Microsoft is making the Windows OS too unprofessional. I mean, it's getting to the point of becoming sorta like a playstation interface. Some of the features are cool, but I really hate the changes in the Control panel in XP. :angry:

Lets make couple of things clear here. MS XP has been ranks as one of the most secure and least bug free of any OS out there. This is not a joke. You can rear about it at many of the research giants sites.

Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD(which I LOVE) but because just like Linux it is developed by hundreds and hundreds of independent developers there are many more bugs and security holes in it.

Is it true that there have been many security problems discovered in XP sure but don't forget that there are many many more XP users then MAC or Linux or any other OS users.

As far as Win 98 and security goes. There is none. And I am not kidding. Show me a win 98 machine on the net without a firewall and I can get in in 10 minutes and I am not a hacker at all.

FreeBSD is a very stable and secure OS and I think it was the smarts move by Apple to build their OS on top of it.

#20 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:09 PM

Oups, vava, I made a mistake in my post, I meant to say that I believe that the next version of MacOS will beat XP.

Domino don't be too sure. I just installed win2003 server on a machine at work and it is the nicest OS I have ever worked on. I am not sure what Mac is going to come out with by it has to be really really nice to compete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users