ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 27 June 2001 - 10:41 AM

AMERICAN & ARMENIAN $$$$$$$$
We were talking about the dishonesty of the rich and I remember to have said: "I don’t understand our rich: why would they want to cheat someone in my position? I mean, after all, how much can they cheat from someone who has next to nothing?
And my friend (a professor of Hebrew) replied: "But don’t you see? That’s how they get rich: by cheating poor jerks like you and me. It is not that they have anything against cheating the rich – the reason they don’t is that they know instinctively that it is more difficult to cheat them. It takes one to know one. These crooks immediately recognize one another and don’t even try – it would be a waste of their valuable time."

On the subject of American dollars and their sinister strings on smaller nations like Armenia: What about Armenian dollars and their strings?
If you want to know more on that subject, ask an Armenian writer, if you happen to know one. I am told they are an endangered species. Some even say they are extinct – compliments of our so-called cultural organizations and benevolent benefactors, who don’t mind spending millions on churches, museums, schools, and community centers even where they are not needed, but when it comes to writers, they recognize only brown-nosers, and after recognizing them, they place them somewhere below janitors.

Here are some useful quotes:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

C.G. Jung: "It is a weakness of the method of explanation that
it succeeds only with sensitive persons who can draw
independent moral conclusions from their understanding of themselves."

Jean Rostand: "There are great many people
whom I should be tempted to ask before listening to them:
Is it you who are about to speak, or are you planning to play me a propaganda record?"

Antonina Vallentin: "Like so many people who are troubled by their own origin,
he was a nationalist, ill at ease in an international atmosphere."

Mirabeau on Talleyrand: "He would sell his soul for money,
and he would be right, for he would be exchanging dung for gold."

#2 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 12:43 PM

Ara, honey!
Well-said! I liked what you have said....
You are improving "bohemian" writer.
I'm still your fidel reader. But do not hope me to let you quiet....
This post was exceptionaly formidable!

#3 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 27 June 2001 - 08:03 PM

Hello, Naira!
I just remembered when I saw your name, you had told me about thinking pronouncing Armenian was hard but Abkhazian was like, weeew, that's right, it's nuts, all those whistling sounds! Don't remember the thread and am too lazy to search. Hadn't had the time to respond then!
Later! Take care!

#4 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:
Hello, Naira!
I just remembered when I saw your name, you had told me about thinking pronouncing Armenian was hard but Abkhazian was like, weeew, that's right, it's nuts, all those whistling sounds! Don't remember the thread and am too lazy to search. Hadn't had the time to respond then!
Later! Take care!

Hi TRose,
I don't remember the name of that thread either ... LOL.
But I remember this topic. Yeah, Abkhazian sounds weird too. I never succeeded to pronounce smth that folks could understand.

So you speak Abkhazian? It's pretty nice to know that your ancestors conserved the language. Do you understand people from Abkhazia when they talk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users