• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 KnightOfArmenia

KnightOfArmenia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:57 AM

On June 16th, 2004, I shall be returning to Armenia for the first time ever; aside from my uncle, I'll be the first of my family to have gone there since Shah Abbas forced us to leave Jugha.

I'll be staying there for two months exactly (returning on August 16th), and am making a checklist of everything I'm going to see. Here is a partial list (if you know of anything in particular that I simply have to see, feel free to add):

Sardarapat
Tzitzernakabert
Yerablur (in particular, the graves of Monte Melkonian and Andranik Zoravar)
Republic Square
Khor Virab
Echmiadzin
Stepanakert
Aragats
Tatev

Note, this is a small portion; I'm not mentioning most of the myriad things to see in Yerevan (I'm also bringing a grand US, to help out the economy in some small way).

Also, glad to be back to the forums... College this year is much harder than I thought it would be.

#2 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:22 AM

Sevan
Tsakhkadzor
Alaverdi
Sanain+Haghpat (+ Mikoyans museum also around there)
Jermuk
Garni+Geghard

and most important of all make sure your photo camera doesnt get crushed in the luggage dry.gif laugh.gif

#3 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:15 AM

2 months...... How I envy you.

I am going back for sub 2 weeks on the 5th of June. sad.gif But I am still very excited.

I can tell you that upon initial arrival it is going to be very emotional. The next couple of days after you start to wonder if you belong there or not, but soon after that you realize that Armenia is truly a magical place. It is the most inspirational trip I have ever taken in my life(was there for the first time in 20+ years 3 years ago)

KOA if you have a bit of time read this thread, has many of the memories of some of the members here and lists some places to visit
http://hyeforum.com/...?showtopic=8596

Good luck. Take lots of pics

#4 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:21 AM

Returning to the "fatherland"? Hmmm ... a bit of gender confusion here, I think.

Also, I don't recall there ever being any statues of "Father Armenia".

#5 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:42 PM

I myself am taking notes from your posts the places we should visit ,our visit should be in mid july ,if any of you are back before that date please inform me your impressions and give me some advice you think its usefull.
thanks in advance..

#6 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:55 PM

Have a great trip Knight. Be sure to take plenty of notes and pictures. Those of us who would love to visit, but for so many reasons, will not be able to in the near furture, will be able to see & feel through your eyes & heart. biggrin.gif

Edit: and you too MX smile.gif

Edited by vava, 09 May 2004 - 12:56 PM.

#7 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (KnightOfArmenia @ May 9 2004, 03:57 AM)
On June 16th, 2004, I shall be returning to Armenia...

Ok I understand the lovely dovey poetic sentimentality about the use of the word "returning" but it's a bit much don't you think? I would have used the word "visiting" as you can't return to somewhere you have never been before blink.gif

Have a great trip. thumbup.gif

#8 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (vava @ May 9 2004, 12:55 PM)
Have a great trip Knight. Be sure to take plenty of notes and pictures. Those of us who would love to visit, but for so many reasons, will not be able to in the near furture, will be able to see & feel through your eyes & heart. biggrin.gif

Edit: and you too MX smile.gif

thanks vava,

Seaphan you cant help yourself from beeing philosophic ,can you? wink.gif laugh.gif

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:14 PM

I just get this shock that shoots through my entire body when I read something that doesn't syntactically or semantically fit into the frameworks I am used to. If I had to use the proper word, I guess I just like to get "technical" about things ... it's in my blood. biggrin.gif

#10 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:17 PM

You guys are so lucky, I would love to go this year!!! Have a safe trip everyone, don't forget to take lots of pictures!!! biggrin.gif

Edit: If you have time, make sure to visit Artsakh. It was breath taking... smile.gif

#11 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:36 PM

To get the whole picture you would have to visit Gyumri, which is in the same sorry state it was when I visited ten years ago. Go see where they are building the largest American Embassy in the world on an island inside a lake near Yerevan. Also check out the Tufenkian's hotels. They are very interesting.

#12 KnightOfArmenia

KnightOfArmenia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:53 PM

bellthecat: What?!?! blink.gif The term "Hayrenik" has never crossed your path before?

Sip: The term would be semantically correct, as I am returning to the place where my family originates from; as I connect myself to my family, it is a return. biggrin.gif

From what I've read and reported on, Gyumri and Spitak have improved greatly; international help, and especially help from Kirk Kirkorian, have at least met the needs of the people there.

#13 15levels

15levels

Fix the heart with work of art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:too many

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

Knight, not sure if anyone mentioned Aghbat - its a monastery complex up north on the border with Georgia.. built in 10-13th centuries. Breathtaking place. You must see it.

Have a great trip. I will be going myself in few month. Summer is the best time to visit (man, the fruits, the fruits!)

Rouben

ps. Look out for the girls in mini-skirts (aka Maral' jokes)- that is in fashion in Yerevan these days smile.gif

#14 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:56 PM

Nice to see you back Rouben, I hope things are well... smile.gif

#15 KnightOfArmenia

KnightOfArmenia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:15 AM

Mini-skirts? Latest fashion, eh? cool.gif

Oh, and will a thousand spend well there? I know that the places that cater especially to foreigners/mafiosos charge a lot, and I'm more planning on going to the smaller places where my money will really help the people rather than fatten the pockets of the Grzo and crew, lol.

#16 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hello Knight,

Have a great trip. Tatev is a place I particularly like and I am glad youŽll be visiting it.

mx5,

I have always defended that if an Armenian from the diaspora is really serious about Armenia and Armenians he should visit the country. Have a nice trip and good luck with your plans.

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (KnightOfArmenia @ May 9 2004, 09:57 AM)
On June 16th, 2004, I shall be returning to Armenia for the first time ever; aside from my uncle, I'll be the first of my family to have gone there since Shah Abbas forced us to leave Jugha.
):

Sardarapat
Tzitzernakabert
Yerablur (in particular, the graves of Monte Melkonian and Andranik Zoravar)
Republic Square
Khor Virab
Echmiadzin
Stepanakert
Aragats
Tatev

Congratulations and bari vayelum Hayastani Aspet. I have many sentiments and emotions about this propsect not the least of which is jealousy. smile.gif smile.gif
From the nature of the potential sites of interest one would assume that the "pilgrim" here is a member of the Armenian religious or church community. The ensuing suggested sites of interest only reinforces this assumption that the only sites worth visiting in Yerevan and Armenia have somehow to do with church and religion. It may be true that Armenia does have a rich religious heritage and many of those monuments have historic, cultural, aesthetic, architectural and, most importantly spiritual and sentimental value, yet we forget that at the present, just as in the past we have had a life, culture and civilization besides and alongside our religious heritage.
Some responders did mention other sites of interest yet I failed to see anyone suggest sites of real cultural value.
Let us start at the bottom. Would it not be a thrill to see and even ride the Yerevan Subway? Many in the diaspora may never have seen a subway yet Yerevan is one of the few cities that has one, and it is good. The recently renovated Opera House? And attached to the back of it the Philharmonic Hall? The Matenadaran? The comedy theater named for Hakob Baronian which is in the block of Hotel Armenia. Many architectural and cultural gems within walking distance. The Parliamnet? The University? The Art Gallery? Museum of history right at the Hraparak? Erebuni Museum? Haghtanaki Aygi and the War Museum right under the protective skirt of Mayr Hayastan? The Sports Complex? The Hraztan Stadium? You may even see a soccer game. Khosrovi Argelkaran an hours drive from Yerevan? The house museums of Toumanian, Isahakian, Parajanov, Charents, Sevak, Khachaturian, Saryan and many others?

What did I leave out?

Oh! I know! Just walk down a street and meet Armenia's most precious assets, the people!!

Click on the map below and see definitely-not-a-complete list of sites in each city and region.

Enjoy!!

http://www.cilicia.c...5_clickmap.html

Let's see if we can add sites other than churches.

Edited by Arpa, 10 May 2004 - 12:38 PM.

#18 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:13 PM

Knight if you have any questions email me I'll be happy to help.
proudexpat@yahoo.com

I moved to Armenia a couple of years ago from North America, have seen quite a bit and can give you my impressions.

Geghart, as popular of a tourist desitination as it is, can not be missed.

When you visit Khor Virab, maybe you can make it out to Noravank (which is another hour drive from KV). Then you can head over to Jermuk, then down to Tatev. This is a long stressful trip to do all in one day, but maybe you can stay at a B&B somewhere. Check out www.bedandbreakfast.am

You must also go up north and visit Gyumri. It's quite underdeveloped, but the old beautiful architecture has been preserved, unlike what is happening to the buildings in Yerevan. Plus Gyumretsis are somewhat friendlier than the new Yerevantsis. Plus their accent is cool. In Shirak province you should also try to go to the border and check out our old capital of Ani (obviously from the Armenian side.)

Tavush is a beautiful province you can't miss. Dilijan city/town is popular and of course Haghardzin.

These are some popular places, but you should definitely check them out.

No matter what, try your best not to complain when you are here. Too many spyurqs come here and can't stop complaining about things, instead of trying to understand.

#19 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:28 PM

Mini-Skirts?

Guys I live here in Armenia and I have only seen someone wearing a mini-skirt only once so far this year. And I am usually out walking around Yerevan quite a bit.

Don't know where this mini-skirt rumour came from, but the new fashion this year is completely pink, from top to bottom or baby blue. Once in a while you'll see someone wearing completely white, but that was last years fashion.

Black is STILL in. Sad. Let's not even talk about the clothes the majority of guys wear. wacko.gif Today was 31 celsius and they were STILL walking around in black suits.

Edited by Proud EXPAT, 10 May 2004 - 01:31 PM.

#20 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Proud EXPAT @ May 10 2004, 07:28 PM)
Black is STILL in. Sad. Let's not even talk about the clothes the majority of guys wear. wacko.gif Today was 31 celsius and they were STILL walking around in black suits.

It is sad indeed.
I cannot forget how men were doing menial jobs like sweeping the street, cutting stone or digging ditches in two piece suits. It was probably the only decent clothes they had left over from their weddings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users