• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

I am looking to purchase a wireless card for my PC. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I realized that all I am doing lately is asking questions, I haven't experienced that since I was 5.

#2 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

Laptop, or desktop? I'm assuming laptop, but there are folks who buy PCI wireless cards for their desktops as well. smile.gif I've been using a Linksys wireless G notebook adapter for one of our machines at the office and haven't experienced any problems. My other laptop has a wireless card built-in as does the Mac.

Almost any card will do - however, some wireless cards are not compatible with all wireless routers. I'm not sure of the cause, but I've had the experience that a wireless router simply refuses to grant access to the wireless device. glare.gif

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

There are USB wireless interfaces for desktops too ... and what vava said smile.gif Just make sure the type of network matches ... if you want to connect to an 802.11b network, either an 802.11b or 802.11g (or both b/g will do)... "g" is backwards compatible with b. But 802.11a will not work with either of those.

Edited by Sip, 02 May 2006 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users