Photo
- - - - -

My Eyes? Or increase of Armenian roles on US TV?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Armen Half-Celt @ Jan 11 2005, 04:32 PM)
the only time i remember other than that is a brief mention of armenia in Mt big fat greek wedding.

I've heard Armenia, and Armenians mentioned once in a while in movies. But the MBFGW refences was initially about the guy's father's secretary. Who they thought may have been Armenian but ended up being Guyanese, or something completely unrelated like that.

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 12 2005, 01:29 PM)
the actress who played the aunt in the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is Armenian and I have read an interview with the Nia Vardalos (??? is that her name) where she said that the grandma hating all turks thing was kind of a tribute to the Armenian cause wink.gif

I think the Greeks have plenty of reasons to dislike Turks. By the way that's Andrea Martin you're referring to... a very funny women. She's done standup as well as years on SCTV etc. I think she's great.

#42 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 10 2005, 05:39 PM)
Did anybody capture that SNL skit when Ben Afleck played an Armenian used car salesman in LA?  The accent did not match, the looks somewhat did, it was kind of tacky. (Keshishian Motors was the place of his business  smile.gif  biggrin.gif )
Also, my friend in LA told me that there was an episode of "Queer Eye for the Straingt Guy" where the straight guy was in love with this Armenian girl, well she was the girlfriend, then they taught him to say "yes kez sirum em" in Armenian so he would impress the girl...has anybody seen this?

I saw that episode. One of the guys taught him how to say "I love you" in Armenian. It was nice. biggrin.gif

On another note, in the tv show "The Shield" on FX The Shield on IMDB the second season had the main characters stealing money from the Armenian mafia. One of the characters from the Armenian mafia was "feared" because he would cut the feet off the people he thought were snitches.

On other another note, do any of you watch the credits after a tv or a movie to see if there any Armenian names? tongue.gif

#43 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Emil @ Jan 12 2005, 06:44 PM)
On other another note, do any of you watch the credits after a tv or a movie to see if there any Armenian names? tongue.gif

Always. smile.gif

#44 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Emil @ Jan 12 2005, 08:44 PM)
I saw that episode. One of the guys taught him how to say "I love you" in Armenian. It was nice.  biggrin.gif

On another note, in the tv show "The Shield" on FX The Shield on IMDB the second season had the main characters stealing money from the Armenian mafia. One of the characters from the Armenian mafia was "feared" because he would cut the feet off the people he thought were snitches.

Just yesterday I saw Armen Minasian for editor for I-Robot. I mean this appeared the beginning of the film too, big letters smile.gif smile.gif

#45 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Jan 12 2005, 10:21 PM)
Always.  smile.gif

Yes el...hehe

Lots of producers and behind the scenes people are Armenian I have noticed.

#46 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Jan 13 2005, 12:21 AM)
Always.  smile.gif

Me too, all the time. smile.gif
I'm not sure if anyone heard of the show "7th heaven", one of the producers on the shows is Armenian. Last name is Konstanian, I forgot his first name.

#47 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:23 PM

I notice alot of Armenian last names on shows which air on The Discovery Channel. Theres also this producer Craig Piligian, I don't know if he's Armenian for sure though.

#48 Mr.Sevan

Mr.Sevan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:44 PM

law and order does a lot of armenian stuff...i remember one show where these 2 armenian punks who didnt speak well english and during the interigation they were speaking to each other in armenian and telling the cops that sarkis made them do it.....(there was a dead pregnant black women in their trunk), hey they didnt do it though...

another time i was watching MAD TV and at a baseball game the main cast called to this couple "they u stupid russians (it could have bin something else, cant really remember)" and the couple goes we're not ________, we are armenian....then other couple (the cast members) go "thanks for the information, ill watch my walet"...that was a laugh

anther incident on the same show MAD TV was at the end during the credits nicole sullivan (a cast member) is dressed like anna nicole smith and interviewing some old lady who speaks limited enlish....anyway, anna nicole asks the lady what her favorite MAD TV comercial is and the old lady goes "I dont know what comercial is, I watch only news on Iraq". then the cast member asks what her name is, the old lady says : "My name is Seranoush (sp?"....then the cast member says wow lady, u got three names.....(cos the lady pronounced it SER-An-OUsh..._

ONe more incident was on the Price is RIght (which is based in Cali), and the lady that gets choosen to come down is armenian and has a shirt that says "Armenians Love Bob BarkerIAN"....the lady wins some prizes but dosnt go on to the final showcase.....
damn, im tired of typing

#49 Mr.Sevan

Mr.Sevan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:46 PM

One more thing : the producer of STAR WARS : THE RETURN OF THE JEDI and INDIAN JONES is armenian...i got that info off here ........http://www.cilicia.com/armo22.html.....
its the armenian hall of fame.....

#50 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

(I don't know why but I just remembered this)

Has anyone seen Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Too Afraid To Ask"? I saw it once on IFC or Sundance, and it was a shock to see that in the story dealing with bestiality the character has come from Armenia with his sheep. His last name was not Armenian (more Greek I think) but Woody Allen kept referring to him as an Armenian. The whole movie was idiotic and stupid and I just wanted to throw up when I saw in that part he included an Armenian character.

#51 lara-chan

lara-chan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:video games, indie/foreign films, roots reggae & metal, mma, driving on angelos crest hwy, yoga, body piercings and tattoos, too many japanese things..

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Emil @ Jan 13 2005, 06:23 PM)
I notice alot of Armenian last names on shows which air on The Discovery Channel. Theres also this producer Craig Piligian, I don't know if he's Armenian for sure though.

craig piligian also does "the Ultimate fighter" on spike tv. there's also a fighter on there by the name of kenny florian.. not sure if either of them are armenian though.

#52 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Mar 19 2005, 10:30 PM)
(I don't know why but I just remembered this)

Has anyone seen Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Too Afraid To Ask"? I saw it once on IFC or Sundance, and it was a shock to see that in the story dealing with bestiality the character has come from Armenia with his sheep. His last name was not Armenian (more Greek I think) but Woody Allen kept referring to him as an Armenian. The whole movie was idiotic and stupid and I just wanted to throw up when I saw in that part he included an Armenian character.

"i'm from armenia, where men are men, and sheep are nervous..."

or something of that sort...

Edited by Harut, 20 March 2005 - 05:43 AM.

#53 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

I recently saw "The Flight of the Phoenix" starring Dennis Quaid. There was an Armenian Kevork Malikyan who plays an Arab (surprise, surprise). I've seen this guy in quite a lot of movies. I remember him in Indiana Jones, both the movie and the series and in Midnight Express. I saw him in a British series too, Yes Prime Minister, where he was a shady Turkish businessman. And in a Steven Seagal movie whose name I can't remember.

#54 Tommmmmmy

Tommmmmmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:43 PM

A few more to add...

In the film Wit, there is a character named Dr. Kelekian. Can anyone confirm if he is Armenian or not? His first name was Harvey, so I'm not quite sure. He could be a fictional character, I'm not sure if the playwright wrote it as an autobiography. By the way, it stars Emma Thompson as a professor who is diagnosed with cancer.

Elia Kazan's film America, America, about a Greek man living in Turkey and how he struggles to try and make it to the United States. It shows a scene where the Turks set an Armenian church on fire. If you read some of the reviews, the critics state that it is one of the most powerful scenes in the picture.

The opening of Copland stars with some guy talking about Armenians and briefly getting them mixed up with Iranians.

Sister, Sister made a few references to Armenians. It could have to do with the fact that the executive producer of the program was Armenian. However, there was one episode where an Armenian mechanic sounded like an Indian/Hindu or something. The accent was highly exaggerated.

In the 60's movie, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Omar Sharif plays the King of Armenia. Flash forward thirty years, and he plays another Armenian, Hagop, in Henry Verneuil's masterpiece, Mayrig.

Edited by Tommmmmmy, 05 April 2005 - 10:44 PM.

#55 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:37 PM

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a few yrs ago on Simpsons,
Armen Tamzarian was featured.

here is a recap,
the real Principal Skinner and "Armen Tamzarian" I think was his name were army buddies in Vietnam. The real Principal Skinner was killed and Armen couldn't bring himself to tell his mom. So he pretended to be principal skinner to keep the old lady from being hurt. Until one day the army came to give him a medal and he was exposed.

#56 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Tommmmmmy @ Apr 5 2005, 10:43 PM)
The opening of Copland stars with some guy talking about Armenians and briefly getting them mixed up with Iranians.

I remember, there was an outrage for this in the Armenian community in Los Angeles, as I remember, the word was that the producer had issues with somebody Armenian and decided to take his revenge this way.

#57 Bakersfieldian

Bakersfieldian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

and of course I couldn't let this topic go without my favorite Hye TV star.

Hrair the pantsless Armenian.
Happy night no more work for Hrair!

A pantsless Armenian agrees to go with the nice street-cleaning crew.

#58 Bakersfieldian

Bakersfieldian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:27 PM

I don't know about Craig but I know for a fact Kenny's Potugese.

QUOTE (lara-chan @ Mar 20 2005, 08:01 AM)
craig piligian also does "the Ultimate fighter" on spike tv. there's also a fighter on there by the name of kenny florian.. not sure if either of them are armenian though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users