#61 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 12 2005, 12:42 AM)
Very interesting discussion.

Sasun, I don't think it's scary; I think it's fascinating. But how many countless number of people throughout the centuries have really wondered and wanted to have some kind of contact with the invisible world, even just for the sake to understand more about our own existance? How many philosophers and theologians have ponded about the question of God and the angels? And not to mention that every single person who is born in this world constantly questions about the meaning of life, wonders what's out there, and yearns to have some kind of a sign that we are not really alone? ...Yet nothing happens.

Anoushik, it is said that those who seek will find. Although it was not said, I believe those who don't seek don't find smile.gif

So, you are saying nothing happens. But why are you expecting something to happen, and what kind of things would you like to happen?
Another way to look at it, why not make it happen yourself?

Those numerous people that you are mentioning, they have sought and found if not all at least something. I believe everyone has some understanding that has some truth in it, some know more, some less. I think the right attitude is just to try to know more and more all the time. In other words keep seeking smile.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention. God has made it not so easy to know things, but at the same time he has left many hints in nature so we don't get completely lost and oblivious.

Edited by Sasun, 11 January 2005 - 11:48 PM.

#62 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 11 2005, 09:46 PM)
Those numerous people that you are mentioning, they have sought and found if not all at least something. I believe everyone has some understanding that has some truth in it, some know more, some less. I think the right attitude is just to try to know more and more all the time. In other words keep seeking smile.gif

Sasun, I think the more people sought the less convinced they became about God's existence. I think eventually all will agree that the idea of a fatherly God was just a myth.

#63 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 12 2005, 12:54 AM)
Sasun, I think the more people sought the less convinced they became about God's existence. I think eventually all will agree that the idea of a fatherly God was just a myth.

Anoushik, it seems to me that we are talking about different people. Your people sought and became less convinced, and my people sought and became more convinced smile.gif

#64 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 11 2005, 09:56 PM)
Anoushik, it seems to me that we are talking about different people. Your people sought and became less convinced, and my people sought and became more convinced smile.gif

How?

#65 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 12 2005, 01:03 AM)
How?

What do you mean?

#66 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 11 2005, 10:05 PM)
What do you mean?

We are getting back to the old ongoing discussion about God and spirituality. I don't need it right now; I'm too tired. Maybe I need to be in the dark for a while myself to clear my thoughts.

Just one last question: Sasun, do you believe in a "fatherly" God? A God who looks out to the humans and takes care of them?

#67 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 12 2005, 01:10 AM)
Just one last question: Sasun, do you believe in a "fatherly" God? A God who looks out to the humans and takes care of them?

Yes Anoushik. Think about it, every time you breath in that's an evidence that God cares about you.

#68 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 11 2005, 09:54 PM)

Some may say that your ideas dont exhibit christian dogmas. smile.gif

#69 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 11 2005, 10:14 PM)
Yes Anoushik. Think about it, every time you breath in that's an evidence that God cares about you.

Is this why he let 1.5 million Armenians die and also 20 million Russians and 150 thousand in the recent Tsunami? My this God really cares

#70 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Jan 11 2005, 10:16 PM)
Some may say that your ideas dont exhibit christian dogmas. smile.gif

I'm an atheist smile.gif

#71 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Jan 11 2005, 10:18 PM)
Is this why he let 1.5 million Armenians die and also 20 million Russians and 150 thousand in the recent Tsunami?  My this God really cares

What about the kids who are forced into prostitution daily and now this same danger awaits the orphans from the Tsunami disaster?

#72 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Jan 12 2005, 01:18 AM)
Is this why he let 1.5 million Armenians die and also 20 million Russians and 150 thousand in the recent Tsunami?  My this God really cares

Azat, let's be objective and count both lives and deaths OK? So there are as many deaths as lives. Those millions of people who died lived prior to that, so why don't you mention that? smile.gif

#73 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

WHAT?

#74 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Jan 12 2005, 01:23 AM)
WHAT?

Azat jan, what I am saying is this. You would like to complain about people that died, and point out that God does not care. But I would like to remind you that life is not granted, it is a gift from God. Why not mention that too? In the end we all die, God gave us life and took it. As simple as that.
Well, this is not my theology, but I think it is a fair way of thinking, rather than singling out the negative parts of the world only.

#75 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:48 AM

Well I disagree. What a BARBARIC way to take peoples life away... But that is what I expect from God and his followers. If you want to learn more read about the crusades and how the Spanish under the flagship of God converted Incas and Mayas to God believers. But then again for you I am sure you think since God gave them life God can punish then and take it away.

Anyways, I guess neither am I going to learn anything new from this discussion nor are you. So I will go on with my life without believing in fairytales until someone can show me solid proof.

Thanks

#76 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:52 AM

Azat, its not that simple. God is not responsible for barbarities. All evidence suggests that God preaches quite the contrary, so why believe that God wanted barbarities to happen?

#77 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 12 2005, 12:14 AM)

I thought about it and every breath seems more to be an evidence of a physical body needing oxygen to sustain itself due to all the chemical reactions and what not that go on in the lungs and the blood than the care of any God.

Plus, why would God care about his creations? Wouldn't we be mere posessions and toys to an all mightly being? What possible interest could an almighty creature have in rediculous beings such as ourselves?

... unless God needs some sort of entertainment in which case he isn't so perfect anymore now is he?

#78 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 12 2005, 01:54 AM)
I thought about it and every breath seems more to be an evidence of a physical body needing oxygen to sustain itself due to all the chemical reactions and what not that go on in the lungs and the blood than the care of any God.

Well, that is one way the care of God could be reflected.
Plus, why would God care about his creations? Wouldn't we be mere posessions and toys to an all mightly being? What possible interest could an almighty creature have in rediculous beings such as ourselves?

... unless God needs some sort of entertainment in which case he isn't so perfect anymore now is he?

I recommend you to read this thread, the answers are there http://hyeforum.com/...=0

#79 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:10 AM

Atheist Dogma?!?!?!?! Now thats a laugh - particularly comming from one who is so sure of all his answers and who preaches daily concerning such. And these "answers" are at best speculation - of no greater merit then the speculation of anyone else. Much like Domino's proposition that anything we can imagine must exist (somewhere) - you seem to profess belief in every fairytale ever invented and call that religious science or what have you - a pathetic waste of time IMO. And if I have any belief it is exactly the opposite of yours - and that is (on a fundemental level) that nothing (we believe to be true) is (in fact) true - as we are incapable of knowing/understanding "truth" - it is beyond our ability to percieve - even through Om nana padi ha's or what have you....short of that we have science to explain some things (in a limited fashion - but pretty much the best we can hope for - for the most part) and maybe other cognative devices to help us understand/interpret things inadequatly covered by scientific method - but it only goes so far - and to assume that what you have is "true" (or complete) knowlwedge - or even close to it - well - thats just foolish IMO. And you are not alone - problem is - does not seem that all like you - with contradicotory claims etc - can all be right...

#80 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jan 12 2005, 10:10 AM)
Atheist Dogma?!?!?!?! Now thats a laugh - particularly comming from one who is so sure of all his answers and who preaches daily concerning such. And these "answers" are at best speculation - of no greater merit then the speculation of anyone else. Much like Domino's proposition that anything we can imagine must exist (somewhere) - you seem to profess belief in every fairytale ever invented and call that religious science or what have you - a pathetic waste of time IMO. And if I have any belief it is exactly the opposite of yours - and that is (on a fundemental level) that nothing (we believe to be true) is (in fact) true - as we are incapable of knowing/understanding "truth" - it is beyond our ability to percieve - even through Om nana padi ha's or what have you....short of that we have science to explain some things (in a limited fashion - but pretty much the best we can hope for - for the most part) and maybe other cognative devices to help us understand/interpret things inadequatly covered by scientific method - but it only goes so far - and to assume that what you have is "true" (or complete) knowlwedge - or even close to it - well - thats just foolish IMO. And you are not alone - problem is - does not seem that all like you - with contradicotory claims etc - can all be right...

As always, Thoth's post lacking insight, a total waste of time to even read... yawn.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users