15levels

Fix the heart with work of art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:too many

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

Barev,

I am currently doing a research on Armenian calligraphy and would like to ask for help locating any useful information. Anyone knows any Armenian artists who draw calligraphic work? Might you have any literature on Armenian alphabet (only books, please, nothing from what already exists on a web, I have searched it all)? Any graphics, photographs of Armenian manuscripts with calligraphic work? Any books on Armenian typography (that one is especially important, as it has illustration of the sequence of strokes)?

I want to compile a professional guide for calligraphic work in Armenian for an upcoming Encyclopedia of World Calligraphy which will be published in US.
I will draw all the examples myself and will need to illustrate all known styles of Armenian scripts.

"Erkatagir" Երկատազիր (iron script)
"Boloragir" Բոլորագիր (round script)
"Shchagir" Շխագիր (cursive script)
"Notragir" Նոտրագիր. (notary script)

If you might have any information on those scripts, please be so kind to forward it to me. This is a good opportunity to revive some of the calligraphic tradition and I would love to get some help doing it. All the credits for contributed material will be happily provided.

Please write, (forward to anyone who might be of help)

Looking forward,

Ruben

Edited by 15levels, 28 October 2007 - 05:56 PM.

#2 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

this sparked something...is there any nice armenian graffiti around in any country? any one have any pictures?

#3 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

Yes, there are! The "best" I saw was in the center of Yerevan, on Alexander Tamanian monument....he is looking down at his drawing desk and someone sprayed beneath "Yamaha"!

The best graffiti I've heard is on one of Belgrade's bridges....it goes "Ah Columbus, Columbus...f*** your curiosity!”
smile.gif

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Barev,

I am currently doing a research on Armenian calligraphy and would like to ask for help locating any useful information. Anyone knows any Armenian artists who draw calligraphic work? Might you have any literature on Armenian alphabet (only books, please, nothing from what already exists on a web, I have searched it all)? Any graphics, photographs of Armenian manuscripts with calligraphic work? Any books on Armenian typography (that one is especially important, as it has illustration of the sequence of strokes)?
====
=====
If you might have any information on those scripts, please be so kind to forward it to me. This is a good opportunity to revive some of the calligraphic tradition and I would love to get some help doing it. All the credits for contributed material will be happily provided.
===
:)

Hi Ruben, long time no see. How are you?
I just saw this that I had not seen before.
Lest we fall in the same trap as Diana Der H. and translate literally… (See thread “Poetry in Motion“)

ԳԼԽԱԳԻՐ=Capital letters/upper case ԵրկաԹագիր

Cursive, as in handwriting also known as Բոլորգիր.

Շեղագիր/sheghagir=Italic

Opposite of Erkatagir, lower case, small, letters also known as Նոսրգիր. Probably from “nadir” opposite of “zenith”

Edited by Arpa, 14 April 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#5 15levels

15levels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:10 AM

Hi Ruben, long time no see. How are you?
I just saw this that I had not seen before.
Lest we fall in the same trap as Diana Der H. and translate literally… (See thread “Poetry in Motion“)

ԳԼԽԱԳԻՐ=Capital letters/upper case ԵրկաԹագիր

Cursive, as in handwriting also known as Բոլորգիր.

Շեղագիր/sheghagir=Italic

Opposite of Erkatagir, lower case, small, letters also known as Նոսրգիր. Probably from “nadir” opposite of “zenith”

Strange to find a reply to my 3 years old post :) but thanks Arpa. I have made some progress in my research but for now its stalled because I didnt find funding. Here are two links, check it out :

http://15levels.com/...iancalligraphy/

&

http://independent.a...nMalayan/Papers

I also have some works on facebook but dont know how to post them here...

#6 15levels

15levels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

Well, I am proud to say that my works and article on Armenian calligraphy were finally published in http://www.amazon.co... of calligraphy - of course this work was done on pure enthusiasm, but at least we are now represented properly in a book which is widely circulated. If any of you want to stay in touch - I have a group dedicated to Armenian calligraphy on Facebook - you are welcome to come and join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/173475532663571/ And I will be more than happy to catch up with old friends. Be well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users