Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

Hey, Harut-(tiun/tion/sion)?
Not to confuse with Harun/ Aharon/ Aaron.
Now, that Nairi is in hiding, you are our “language guru”. smile.gif smile.gif
When did “utyun/tion/sion” become part of out language?
Don’t tell me!
During our Kilikian times?
Why is not “um”, as in “Har-um” not enough to form nouns from verbs- as in “harnel/to rise?
Why do we have to make our language more user unfriendly by adding more and more unnecessary suffixes?
Why is not enough to say “Haykanq/Hykanq” to mean “Hay-u-tyun”??
Please observe what I wrote some time ago.
Humorous?
Not quite!
Tragically destructive and sad!
Obsere the not so humorous post of mine in the Humor section below.

http://hyeforum.com/...lite=vorik-sion

A bunch of "starving Armenian" boys, whether it was at the wake of the Big G or a reult of the Big Emigration, found themselves on the streets of Paris. They were starving. They needed somethin, anything in their stomachs. They enter the first restaurant they spot. They are seated and handed a menu.
What?
How to order?
As always, Khlana Khikar* butts in.
He says; I know how to order. It is simple. All yo have to do is add "utyun/tion/sion" to the end of the word and! Voila! It becomes French.
The garcon comes back and Khikar orders ; Pilaf-sion, smbuklits-sion, terev-sion**, khorovats-sion.
The waiter returns with all the dishes as ordered.
Haha!! says Khikar;. What did I tell you!
The waiter responds; If I were not Armenian you would have eaten my

"vorik-sion"!!

* I think he was from Aparan
** I refuse to use Turkish terms to these native Armenian dishes that some of us may know as those disgusting, vomit!, vomit! "dolma and sarma".

Forum: Humor · Post Preview: #111529 · Replies
  • Louise Kiffer likes this

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hey Arpa your joke reminded me of another one in France as well.
A poor Armenian in a restaurent orders a meal by pointing at the menu by his finger. The waiter returns with a dish of pilaf, poor guy who has eaten all his life pilaf wonders at his luck, looks around other tables and sees that the people at the next table are eating chicken and they order some more by saying "anchor".
The poor guy says thats it now I know how to order chicken, calls the waiter and says "anchor" when the waiter comes back with a dish of pilaf again he says I can't beleive that a rich persons anchor is chicken while a poor persons anchor is pilaf. smile.gif

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

Yes!
I know that joke.
When the “dumb” Armenian, having had enough of “khash”, observes how his neighbor gets ChateauBriand at the command of “encore” gets the same old, same old KHASH/PILAF!!

Edited by Arpa, 04 July 2006 - 10:58 AM.

#4 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Jul 4 2006, 05:09 PM) View Post
Hey, Harut-(tiun/tion/sion)?
Not to confuse with Harun/ Aharon/ Aaron.
Now, that Nairi is in hiding, you are our “language guru”. smile.gif smile.gif
When did “utyun/tion/sion” become part of out language?
Don’t tell me!

I'm glad you told us, 'cause I wouldn't have known anyway. wink.gif

#5 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

ՈՒԹԻՒՆ ՆՈՐԻՑ
Տղայ անունդ Յարութիւն, եկ մեզ արա բարութիւն:
Yes, Outyoun Again. My least favorite grammatical abrration.
I wish I could find when and by whom this madness began.
Do the English add “tion” to “new” like new-tion as we do in նոր-ու-թիւն/norutiun?
Please bear with me. This article is totally disjointed as I can’t decide where to begin and where to end. I have amended, added, deleted many passages during a course of several days of editing and re-editing.
Again about that superfluous and inane suffix.
Please! This is not nit picking, yes it is. Nor it is a declaration of War of Words. This is only a desperate attempt to save this Forum, to rid it from the clutches of hijacking and spamming.
This is an open invitation to all our friends, our house linguists, the likes of Harut, Ani, Nairi, Nane, Johannes, SAS and more. to talk about Armenian subjects, without back and forth accusations and insults.
In talking of the Day of Rest, I brought the following biblical quotes.
http://hyeforum.com/...topic=56274&hl=

Exodus 20:8-10
8] Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
[9] Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
[10] But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates
----
Mark 6:31
Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some REST." **
------
Եւ անիկա ըսաւ անոնց, Եկէքդուքառանցինանապատ տեղ մը եւ մի քիչ հանգչեցէք
8- Յիշեսջի́ր զօրն շաբաթուց սրբե́լ զնա:
9- զվեց օր գործեսցես, եւ արասցես զա(մենայն գործս քո:
10- յաւուրն եոթներորդի շաբա́թ տ(եառ)ն ա(ստուծո)յ քում, մի́ գործեսցես ՛ի նմա զա(մենայ)ն գործ քո դո́ւ եւ ուստր քո եւ դուստր քո, ծառա́յ քո, եւ աղախին քո. ե́զն քո եւ էշ քո, եւ ա(մենայ)ն անասուն քո. եւ ե́կն քո եւ պանդուխտն քո որ ՛ի քեզ

I could not find how the EA popular vernacular is, the on-line ԱՍՏՈՒԱԾԱՇՈՒՆՉ has expired, so I looked up what the hard copy written in WA had to say. I was shocked. I had never looked at it in a critical way. Of course we know that it was “translated” by non-Armenians, and how poor it is, not by the likes of Daniel Varuzhan, or Ajatian but by foreign missionaries, mainly American.
**Did He say day of REST-A-TION? No, He said REST, ՀԱՆԳԻՍՏ, հանգիստի օր, հանգստեան օր::
The above quote is translated thusly.
ՀանգՍՏՈՒԹԵԱՆ :duh: DUHHH օրը միտքդ բեր, զանիկա սուրբ պահելու համար”
----
Հանգստութիւն? Why not just simply հանգիստի/ հանգստեան օրը?
Where do you see the English word “rest” written as “restation”?
Maybe now we know where that ridiculous suffix “utiun/ outyoun“ and the ultimate insult “ուցյուն/outsyoun” (ՀարուՑյուն?) comes from.
Which opens yet another can of worms, about deleting the I as in SargIs to Sargsyan without the I.
Does it come from Grabar, where the adjective Հանգիստ/ Hangist become Հանգստեան/Hangst-ian as a noun. Without the I as in SarGIs/SarGSyan.
Do the English convert the adjective “rest/calm/peaceful (as in Pacific Ocean)” to “restation or calmation/խաղաղութիւն”?
“Հանգիստ կաց քուրիկ , մի լացիր այդքան, լոկ պատահան մի չար խօսք է սա.”?
See # 61 where Johannes said
http://hyeforum.com/...ic=18533&page=4

Թէեւ վերեւի օրինակը մի քիչ չափազանցում է, նոյն ատեն ցոյց տայ չփազանցման “չափազանցութիւնը”:
Երանի, մի օր մին մեզ ասէ թէ "ութիւն" ածանցը որքան գործ ածուել է դասական օրերին եւ ինչ պայմաններով:
Ըստ իս այդ չափազանցումը արդիւնք է Հայերէն լէզուն անկատար գիտցողների ձեռամբ: Կրկին կարդալ ներքեւի շարանը եւ տեսնել այդ անեկդոտը*:

And here #11 Harut said
http://hyeforum.com/...=1

I oppose to any changes that will take away the ություն [utyun] ending. because then, technically i would become Հարում [Harum], which i don't like.
of course kidding here.

====
Baptize baptism not baptization. Baptismation Մկրտում Մկրտութիւն
Hebrews 4:9-11
Վասնզիան որ հանգիտը մտաւ, Ալ հանգչեցաւ իր գործերէն
We have a religious rite known as Հոգեհանգիստ Rest to Souls. Do we call it Հոգեհանգստեան or Հոգեհանգ ստի? No. We simply call it Հոգեհանգիստ: Rest of Souls, not restation.
http://hy.wikisource.org/wiki/Հոգեհանգիստ
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=16242
Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
The first ever phrase by our Translators. And ever since then we have been held hostage by that foreign culture. Why was their first translation was from that Book of Lies the Bible, Not the Odyssey, the Iliad, not even Sinbad the Sailor? ***
Nothing worse than a Born Again, Neo-Christian!
http://www.pagef30.c...n-armenian.html
Proverbs 1;2
The first words ever written in Armenian - ճանաչել զիմաստութիւն եւ զխրատ, իմանալ զբանս հանճարոյ
Առակաց
Իմաստութեան սկիզբըՏերոջը վախն է
Does above English say wise-ation or wisenation?
Then why it is with that stupid suffix “outyoun/outyan”?
In Armenian it is Իմաստութեան ?
Why not just իմաստի or իմանման?
Perhaps remotely related.
Matt.1
[1] The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
1 Գիրք ազգաբանութեան Յիսուս Քրիստոսի՝ Դաւթի որդու, Աբրահամի որդու:՝
My Hard copy written in WA has this.
Գիրք ծննդեան Յիսուս Քրիստոսի, Դաւիթի որդւոյն…
Note the I between Ւ/W/V and Թ/T are removed. Besides. Why is DaviD spelled ending with the letter Թ/Th. To not forget the WA TaviT(h). ԹաւիԹ: Where the D becomes Տ/տ, and in turn it becomes T
Where does the I in Դաւիթ/David go in the above quote from the EA?
Don’t tell me that they in Yerevan are reverting back to Classical Գրաբար Where հանգիստ hangist becomes հանգստեան/hangstyan without the I, just as Galoust becomes Գալստեան/Galstian, without the OU. Is it like when Սարգիս becomes Սարգսյան where the I is lost, like when the OU in KhachatOUr becomes Khachatryan .
Հոգեգալուստ, (Pentecost) հոգեգալստ?***
PS. I remember when our long lost friend Vartahoor RIP, said it was the grammatical rule, end of story, period. He never told us which, and whose rule it was. I respected his intellect and knowledge, however, his toxic obsession and hatred of the so called Bourj Hamoud culture all but obscured his credibility. Did he have a personal issue?
See #11 here;
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=16369

**We will come back to that.

***Were our translators writing in Arabic without the long vowels like in سرگسیان[

Edited by Arpa, 27 December 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#6 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

Very interesting ! I read twice; thank you.

#7 onjig

onjig

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Location:Ranch in Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, Ranch in Nevada
  • Interests:Family, Armenia, Armenians,skiing, crop, too much to list.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Amot 

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

Amot

Dear Onjig, please elaborate.
Amot what? Amot who? Which passage, which author of the above posts you are amotizing?
Pleas give us your opinion on the subject at hand. i.e , your take on the adding superfluously the tyoun suffix to every word. I am surprised you did not say amotutyoun. Yes, there is a related word with that suffix - ամօթխածութիւն/amotkhatsutyun-bashfulness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users